Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1989068 - 11/20/12 07:36 PM Dampp Chaser
lori822 Offline

Loc: B.C., Canada
I purchased a Kawaii Grand RX2 3 years ago. I live on Vancouver Island in Canada, and am in a 10-storey apartment condo building two blocks from the Strait of Georgia. My piano gets sticky keys about every 3-4 months. My piano tuner has suggested I think about having a Dampp Chaser installed. I know nothing about these, except what I've read on the website selling them. Has anyone got experience with them? Are they worth while? Or should I try buying a humidifier and dehumidifier? I rather have been apprehensive about having a unit installed under my Grand. Will the humidity be too concentrated in one area of the underside of the piano? Will the screws in the piano alter the tone or sound? Please, some advice or some shared experience?? Your input is appreciated.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1989074 - 11/20/12 07:56 PM Re: Dampp Chaser [Re: lori822]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I put one in my 1927 Bechstein that I rebuilt. It's too soon to tell if it really has an effect. I have the humidifier and dehumidifier. It doesn't alter the tone at all, and it's not really visible, except for the little lights under the keyboard.

The idea is that it creates a little micro-climate under the piano. I got one because I have a brand new soundboard in a very old piano, and I really, really, really don't want it to crack!

You'll probably get better answers in the tuners/technicians forum or the piano forum.

Sam
Every ABF recital since #13 Feb '09!
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#1989080 - 11/20/12 08:15 PM Re: Dampp Chaser [Re: lori822]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I don't live that far from you and it can get quite damp here too. I put a Dampp Chaser on my then new Steinway "O" because the tuning wouldn't settle in. It made a huge and immediate difference.

Deborah

#1989107 - 11/20/12 09:15 PM Re: Dampp Chaser [Re: gooddog]
lori822 Offline

How long ago was that? And in what specific ways have you found a huge difference? Is it maintained by yourself or by your technician?

#1989110 - 11/20/12 09:20 PM Re: Dampp Chaser [Re: Sam S]
lori822 Offline

Hi Sam, How long ago did you install the DC? With an older model piano, it must have been a challenge to see if it'll keep it in tune and well-balanced, humidity-wise. Good luck with it. Thanks for the tip about putting this question to the other sections. I'll probably try that.

#1989127 - 11/20/12 09:46 PM Re: Dampp Chaser [Re: lori822]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
We have one and it is great. The climate here is extremely dry, but the house humidity varies wildly with our cooking (boiling stock for hours). The DC helps the piano maintain an even strain.

#1989135 - 11/20/12 09:55 PM Re: Dampp Chaser [Re: lori822]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I had some major issues with my Yamaha that was rebuilt, since in WI the winters are very dry and summers are humid. After installing the DC it was much more stable. I highly recommend it for anyone who has a decent instrument.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1989151 - 11/20/12 10:26 PM Re: Dampp Chaser [Re: lori822]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I've had one in my Fandrich upright since I bought it many years ago. The salesperson and my tuner both swore by them. There is no control group, but I certainly can say it has caused no problems and it very easy to maintain. I suspect it's been quite beneficial as it gets the moisture right where it's needed.

#1989198 - 11/21/12 01:40 AM Re: Dampp Chaser [Re: lori822]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I was thinking of getting one too considering how the weather has been here lately. I am using a dehumidifier at the moment, but DC would certainly be better. I will certainly need one if I move to the rain forest, which is something I really want to do one day.
Right now the weather is still crazy, but improving, and luckily my piano has no sticky keys, although the humidity did cause sticky keys in the past.

Music is my best friend.

#1989771 - 11/22/12 12:47 PM Re: Dampp Chaser [Re: lori822]
Cmajor Offline

Loc: USA
lori882,

You may find the following information, provided by Steinway & Sons in response to an inquiry about using Dampp Chasers on their pianos, to be helpful in making a decision:

Steinway & Sons does not recommend nor endorse Dampp-Chaser products installed in the piano but as a last resort suggestion where environmental climate-control measures are impossible or not feasible to implement. Not that the Dampp-Chaser doesn't work; it is usually very effective for its intended purpose, but things can go wrong. If not properly installed or maintained it can damage the piano and void the warranty. Another disadvantage is that the Dampp-Chaser targets the soundboard only; that is, it controls the moisture content of the soundboard and thereby imparts tuning stability, but it does not affect or remedy the effects of humidity on the piano in its entirety.

Steinway & Sons recommends environmental humidity control such as room dehumidifiers and room humidifiers or environmental climate-control systems because they affect a piano in its entirety and thereby safeguard it from the effects of excessive humidity swings.

We have always advised environmental climate control where necessary for the maintenance of Steinway pianos. The use of room humidifiers or dehumidifiers and other environmental climate-control measures are sometimes necessary in order to provide a suitable environment for the piano. The use of a hygrometer in the vicinity of the piano is recommended in order to monitor humidity changes. Drastic swings or even gradual fluctuations of relative humidity in excess of 30 points on the hygrometric scale are excessive enough to affect the piano and would indicate the need for protective measures to be taken in the piano's overall environment in order to protect and preserve the piano and its various components such as the soundboard, action, wrestplank, and the finish.

The Dampp-Chaser system, installed inside the piano, is designed to help maintain a consistent moisture content in the soundboard only and thereby to improve tuning stability. The Dampp-Chaser however is not intended for nor is it effective in protecting other components such as the finish, action, and wrestplank of a grand piano kept in an environment of unsuitable humidity conditions.

The installation of a Dampp-Chaser system in a Steinway piano will not, in itself, void the manufacturer’s warranty; however, if any functional or structural damage to the piano should occur because of the unit’s improper installation, operation, or service, then the piano’s warranty would indeed be voided.

Environmental humidity control, rather than a system installed in the piano, is also best for people, pets, and furniture.

STEINWAY & SONS

As a mechanical engineer, I can tell you that if you have wild swings in humidity levels inside your condo, or humidity levels sufficient to harm your piano, you had better address the whole problem and not just the piano. Excessive humidity or wide swings in humidity levels are detrimental to everything in your home. Steinway's suggestion for general adding of subtracting moisture to the entire area is based on sound principles and is very good advice from an engineering standpoint.

If your central heating and cooling system is properly sized and maintained, it should be sufficient to keep your interior humidity levels at that recommended by Steinway. You can always purchase a hygrometer to check humidity levels.

The last paragraph of Steinway's statement is probably the most important.

[i][/i]

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (AZNpiano, arX, anotherscott, Beemer, Atrys, 12 invisible), 1163 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153691 Topics
2253031 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
04/24/14 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission