Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1988523 - 11/19/12 12:34 PM Songs that make you change the station
Schroeder II Offline

Received a reply on my thread about my dislike of The Christmas Song by Mel Torme that make me think.

While I like to think I have a very eclectic taste in music, there are a few other songs that will immediately make me change the station.

My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion
Michael McDonald's rendition of Danny Boy is excrutiating.
Madonna's American Pie as well.
Sausalito Summer by Diesel
Anything by Diana (makes my skin) Krall

I'm not saying it's bad music-just not appealing to me.
Anyone else want to share?

Edited by Schroeder II (11/19/12 12:34 PM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1988618 - 11/19/12 05:04 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
"I Will always Love You" by Whitney Huston (who I usually like) from The Bodyguard.

It makes me alternate between suicide and homicide. (Shuddering uncontrollably!)

When it was popular it was played like a million times a day.

Edited by Roger Ransom (11/19/12 05:07 PM)

#1988648 - 11/19/12 06:44 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
btcomm Offline

Loc: California
Diana Krall --- fabulous piano player but her singing sounds like someone's choking the cat.

#1988654 - 11/19/12 07:04 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Originally Posted By: Schroeder II
Michael McDonald's rendition of Danny Boy is excrutiating.

Pmsl smile

Meatloaf does it for me lol wink

#1988687 - 11/19/12 08:24 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Freebird by Lynard Skynard. I lived through the unfortunate era when it was played every 15 minutes on FM radio.

#1988695 - 11/19/12 08:49 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I always thought I loved all music but there is some rap I just can't take.

...and of course there is Hotel California....

#1988818 - 11/20/12 04:37 AM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Usually don't need to change the radio station because I tend to only turn on channels with music I like (classical, rock, etc.)

Lately on tv, Apple has been running iPad mini advertisements in California (prolly all over) that show fingers playing Heart and Soul on a piano app which now annoys the heck out of me

#1988832 - 11/20/12 05:48 AM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Bobpickle]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
Usually don't need to change the radio station because I tend to only turn on channels with music I like (classical, rock, etc.)

Same here. My radio is always tuned on ABC Classic FM... smile

Music is my best friend.

#1988862 - 11/20/12 08:50 AM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: ChopinAddict]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

Ditto with Britain's Classic FM. I don't have the pop radio stations on- hate them. There are only 2 pieces of music Classic FM play that I have to turn the sound off on cos they are scary- that horrible Au Fortuna and some scary organ music (Bach I think).

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1988875 - 11/20/12 09:17 AM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, horrible? I guess taste differs!

#1988931 - 11/20/12 11:47 AM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
Mr Super-Hunky Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Haha this is a funny thread. It's kind of a hater thread if you think about it but then again everybody is entitled to their own opinions right?

I like and dislike just about everything. I don't think there has been anything in recent memory though that has made me cringe more than hearing just a few of the extended duration high notes on just about anything that Clay Aiken sings. It just sounds like off-key Tarzan screams to me.

I also can't help but ponder why so many people wear lab coats!

Just sayin'.

Edited by Mr Super-Hunky (11/20/12 12:10 PM)

#1988982 - 11/20/12 02:56 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: EdwardianPiano]
piRround Offline

Loc: Yarmouth, Maine
Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

Ditto with Britain's Classic FM. I don't have the pop radio stations on- hate them. There are only 2 pieces of music Classic FM play that I have to turn the sound off on cos they are scary- that horrible Au Fortuna and some scary organ music (Bach I think).

Just goes to show how our tastes differ-- I adore the 'scary' organ music! The song that makes me crazy is "Turn around bright eyes". Not sure if that's the name of the song, but it goes on and on and on. And just when you think it's finally over, it changes key yet again and goes into another verse.

#1988995 - 11/20/12 03:40 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't know what the Bach organ music is called but it's one of those big church organs. You should see me run to the radio when it comes on LOL.

My Grandad had an old pedal organ in his front sitting room that made a woo hoo sound when I was a child. Grandad passed in the early 1980s. It was a bit spooky but I liked playing around on it. Dad sold it after he went. I was sad as I wanted it!

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1988997 - 11/20/12 03:44 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Allard]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Allard

The O Fortuna- it is terrifying!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989009 - 11/20/12 04:28 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Allard]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Allard

I personally 2hearts 3hearts heart it and could listen to it non-stop! But it is really powerful, probably not everyone's taste.

Music is my best friend.

#1989076 - 11/20/12 08:05 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen scares me as well LOL. That video in the 1970s with their heads going mama mia freaked me out when I was a child. help

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989079 - 11/20/12 08:14 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I'm going to take a lot of flack for this: non-classical Christmas music. (I'm not Christian and the carols drive me crazy.)

Deborah

#1989093 - 11/20/12 08:44 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Same here LOL!

Pop "music" I really really hate- that Gaga woman, Kesha, Rihanna yuk.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989094 - 11/20/12 08:44 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
I've become tolerant of just about anything since moving to Okinawa and listening to the AFN station. Unless they play noisy rock music. Then I turn it off.

#1989174 - 11/20/12 11:46 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

The "scary organ music" various people are referring to is most likely Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor. Check out Dr. Sean Jackson's performance on YouTube.

I've always wanted to play this (seriously, always, like from early childhood) so I learned the first few bars just for fun. It is great fun to play even just a little bit!

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1989287 - 11/21/12 09:00 AM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

*yells and clicks you tube off ASAP*
Shudder- that's it! shocked

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989462 - 11/21/12 03:37 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
blueston Offline

Loc: MA, USA
gotye

#1989514 - 11/21/12 05:06 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I think I could also change the title to "songs that make you walk out of a shop". I cannot stand it when I enter a shop and they are playing music like rap. I really walk out. Unfortunately it is more difficult with the bus because sometimes I am in a hurry and cannot wait for the next bus... mad

Music is my best friend.

#1989524 - 11/21/12 05:22 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Shops never play Classical music! Always bad rubbish never Beethoven! I was in an 1800s house that's a museum/gallery last summer and they had a display of Georgian, Regency and early Victorian dresses...I walked in and there was a sound system playing Beethoven. It was so atmospheric.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/21/12 05:41 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989532 - 11/21/12 05:39 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: EdwardianPiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I remember that once they were playing classical music in the waiting room of my doc, and somebody stood up and changed the station! He was sitting right next to me and when he came back he said: "Who likes that classical crap?" And I laughed (although I felt like punching him) and said I did... And he said" "Oh, I am sorry! Would you like me to change it back?" But I said it was not necessary. I think I should have said YES!

Music is my best friend.

#1989535 - 11/21/12 05:41 PM Re: Songs that make you change the station [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

He had bad taste ChopinAddict and I would have said yes change it back LOL.

Oh I do remember a couple of summers ago a coffee shop in town was playing a Sigur Ros CD- now that was GOOD!

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/21/12 05:43 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (Abby Pianoman, accordeur, a-z0-9, 36251, AB Forum Recital, 34 invisible), 1449 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156321 Topics
2295831 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Today at 10:17 PM
Hoping for some suggestions/starting point for home keyboard
by Kubla
Today at 10:00 PM
Brass
by Retsacnal
Today at 09:28 PM
Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
by Paul678
Today at 07:31 PM
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
Today at 06:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission