2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
A piece a will be preparing for my upcoming AMEB grade 8 exam, which I am dreading, I don't think an eternity for practice will ever make me feel safe to walk into that exam room.

Criticising myself, I would say the forte section was just a bit too much, I blame the little Kawai piano in this big open space.

But please, anything to get me a better exam mark will be helpful!

Brandon

Last edited by Beethoven747-400; 11/19/12 12:04 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I thought you played the Nocturne extremely well. One or two of the fast runs in the right could use a little more practice to be more secure and perhaps less brilliant(as in "here's the fast hard run").d

As hard as it may seem, I would try to take the exam more with the attitude..."Here are some masterpieces by some of the greatest composers I'd like to share with you."

What other pieces are you playing for the exam?

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you for your kindhearted approach pianoloverus, it's not often I receive a positive comment in regards to my performance.

You know, that is exactly what my teacher said. The fast runs should be less virtuosic. Also, I feel they need to be more even, especially the runs leading up to the climax.

I've been told to employ a rubato during the end of the diminished run at 3:15, however, it's difficult for me to slow down in the middle of a run like that...

My exam is on the 29th of November, I'll be playing;

Handel Fugue HWV 433
Mozart 13 Sonata K.333 - Movement 1
Chopin Op 72 No 1
Bartok Mikroskomos no 153.

I can make a video of them if you want.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Please do. Specifically K333. I can be very specific on that piece. I'm still on the road, but will give the Chopin a listen and try to comment today since you're exam is coming up.

My biggest advice would be: don't change anything you're not comfortable with changing, given the time frame. There was an entire thread based on this, but I wanted to reiterate. It would be worse to change something and be uncomfortable, than to change nothing and be comfortable.

More when I'm done with the afternoon meetings.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Originally Posted by Derulux
Please do. Specifically K333. I can be very specific on that piece. I'm still on the road, but will give the Chopin a listen and try to comment today since you're exam is coming up.

My biggest advice would be: don't change anything you're not comfortable with changing, given the time frame. There was an entire thread based on this, but I wanted to reiterate. It would be worse to change something and be uncomfortable, than to change nothing and be comfortable.

Maybe, but "uncomfortable" is not a black and white issue so I think one has to way the degree of uncomfortability vs. the potential for improvement.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Derulux

Maybe, but "uncomfortable" is not a black and white issue so I think one has to way the degree of uncomfortability vs. the potential for improvement.

Agreed. My only concern is whether being uncomfortable (to whatever degree) would cause a complete collapse when the added stress/anxiety/nerves/etc of performing in public are added. Suffice to say, your consideration is absolutely with merit. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Beethoven747-400
I've been told to employ a rubato during the end of the diminished run at 3:15, however, it's difficult for me to slow down in the middle of a run like that...

That would have been one of my suggestions as well, but I think you are playing this Nocturne beautifully and that you will do just fine in your exam! As others have said, don't make any big changes this close to the exam.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Your rubato is very exaggerated. Your understanding of the piece is well. But you play the whole piece rubato try to play in strict tempo make rubato when It's necessary. Otherwise you sound stumbled. Also you use too much pedal. And you have to work on legato.

Last edited by Batuhan; 11/30/12 11:59 AM.

How did your exam go?

H
H
Brandon
I thought you played this great piece very well.
Your expression and pace were just right.
A pity the camera didn't do any zooming on
your playing.
I hope your exam went well.
Henry

HCT

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission