Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1991492 - 11/27/12 01:10 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
StarKeys - I missed your reply earlier where you mentioned the recording was a different track than the music! I'm still very impressed with the outcome, and in fact seriously thinking of giving that a try myself! smile

What a sweet thing to say! No wonder people love you so much! I'd love to hear you do a vocal (you're probably a lot better than I am :)). My goal is still to train myself to play and sing expressively in real time, but since I still can't sing all that well even when I'm not accompanying myself, I suspect it will take some time and a lot of patience to do it effectively. Thanks for yours. smile

Oh, and congratulations on your youtube video. I loved it!

Edited by Starr Keys (11/27/12 01:18 PM)

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1991501 - 11/27/12 01:23 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Riddler]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
Originally Posted By: Riddler

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby
Loved that swing part, very nice relaxed feel! Great voicings. Cool, ending too, with the grown accustomed quote. I am inspired, may have to try this one myself some day. Thanks for the geek alert!

Thanks Riddler! You win the prize - even my piano teacher didn't pick up on the I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face quote at the end. I guess it would make more sense if you went out to the blog and saw my daughter's picture on the post.

Someone else noticed that the mix with the band on the last verse might be off by a few milliseconds. I guess on a swing number you can tell if you are really listening. I fixed it on the blog recording.

It is so energizing to have people really listen. Thanks to all! I'll definitely get to individual thank-yous.

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#1991507 - 11/27/12 01:31 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
The last five from me. What a wonderful recital. Thanks to all the great comments on my piece (StarrKeys, I think you missed me from your classical selection frown ). I'll try to remember to comment on the comments when I have a moment.

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115 Very nice performances of the two minuets. I liked the de capo very much. The ornamentation was great and the two hands were balanced very nicely. If I had one thing to improve it would be to vary the dynamics quite a bit.

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley. The theme from Dom (Home) was just beautiful. I loved the warm expression you bring to the piece - it suits the Roland sound very nicely. There was some nice rubato and wonderful phrasing. Continuing into Santa Claus was a little strange but it was a lovely arrangement and also beautifully played. Strangely the two together worked great!

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor Once again you are playing a piece that someone who's been playing for as short a time as you have should not be able to play at all ... and playing it beautifully! I did hear a little unevenness but only because you said it was there. It was a wonderful, balanced performance with delightful runs.

54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude This is a beautiful piece, touchingly played. I loved your phrasing of the melody and the overall feel. Too short! wink

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri The synth strings (or reverb or whatever is giving the sound) certainly add to the Halloween feeling! This was a very well put together medley, could have been a single piece. It really feels like a professional piece of music.

Kawai K3

#1991516 - 11/27/12 01:51 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
41 joangolfing Elves' Dance, Grieg
Nice job, Joan. Your piano sounds wonderful. I quite like the sound of the newer Yamahas - not nearly as "bright" as they once were. Or is it just me? At any rate, this is a fun piece, and you play it very well.

42 Copper What A Wonderful World, George Weiss and Bob Thiele
Copper, you do a great job with this evergreen song. It's an enjoyable listen.

43 Starr Keys Broken Hearted Me, Randy Goodrum
Nice song, and your sister's art is quite good. I don't remember hearing the song before, but I was not a big fan of Ann Murray. Your accompaniment fits it well. A well done and moving performance.

44 Valencia Chopin's Etude 25/11
Good start on a difficult piece.

45 jotur/Cathy Turner Alexander's Ragtime Band, Irving Berlin
Nice job, Cathy. This has always been challenging for me. You handle it with aplomb. A real fun listen.

46 Coldsalmon Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2, Chopin
Nice job, Coldsalmon - especially on dynamics. You got the dynamics just right, and they are crucial in this piece. Any errors that you say are included are indeed minor in the overall scheme of this nice performance. Sorry about your piano being destroyed by the hurricane. Hope there's another in the cards. Honestly, this sounds better on the digital than it probably would have on the Acro, anyway.

47 windywindy Love Is All Around, Sonny Curtis
Curtis (the composer of this song) is from my neck of the woods, as we say here. I've heard him on several local radio interviews where he talked about some of the songs he's written over the years and the people he's performed with over the years (including Buddy Holly). I Fought the Law is probably his best known song. I didn't realize this was his. Anyway, nice job on the piece. You play it well.

48 Teodor Tereza's Inspiration, Tereza Jurikova & Teodor Tenchev
This is a very moving piece, Teodor. I enjoyed it very much.

49 BillM When You Wish Upon a Star
This is a classic, Bill. You do a great job with it. I like your magical sounding ending. Just right for the song we all grew up hearing on the old Disney Sunday evening program.

50 Bessel The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman, Schumann
Nice job, Bessel. Farmer is perfect, and Horseman isn;t far behind. Both fun pieces to hear and to play.

51 PianoStudent88 Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115, Christian Petzold
A tremendous job. These are challenging pieces, and you play them well. I rather enjoyed hearing the set of two played this way. Nice performance.

52 Mar_red Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley., W. Kazanecki / J. Fred Coots
The first piece is stunningly beautiful and well played with emotion. The Christmas tune did put a smile on my face. Very fun! You arrangement is really fun and puts me in mind of Liberace from when I used to watch on television as a young child.

53 Sam Rose (Shmuel R) Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor, C.P.E. Bach
I love this piece, but it is out of the question for my slow old fingers. You do a nice job with it, and this is a joy to listen to.

54 Norrec, Tim Solitude, Michiru Oshima
This is beautiful, Tim. Your recording does sound much better than the last.

55 Mile Hi Steve Halloween Potpourri, Various(Moroder, Carpenter, Barber)
Interesting medley, Steve. Well played. You've given us a tour de force of sinister sounding pieces. I'm glad it's 1 pm as I listen to this rather than 1 am.

Edited by TX-Dennis (11/27/12 01:52 PM)

flickr

#1991519 - 11/27/12 02:07 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Andy Platt]
Starr Keys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me A wonderful version of this - it suits your voice very well and the jazzy piano works very well with it. Excellent.

Andy, after reading this, I looked up your birthday to see if you were a Leo, since they are known for validating others and making them feel good about their abilities. Thanks a bunch and I hope I get to hear you accompany yourself again in the not too distant future...Oh, and I didn't "miss" you, Andy, I have another category of classical performance (Beginning and Intermediate) I haven't posted yet -- I know your on the borderline of high intermediate or advanced but I don't know enough how to distinguish this, so I used Richard's categories here as my guide)

6. People difficult to categorize and/or in a class by themselves

11. Mr. Super Hunky
42. BillM
43. Sam Rose

You all stand out for what you do that no one else does (at least not in this ecital). Mr. Super Hunky, you are the only one who could/would take a heavy metal band classic and turn it into a delicate piano solo—and maybe the only one who could pull it off. BillM, you have the rare distinction of being able to beautifully arrange and perform pop songs for self-accompaniment and soloing and improvise from a fake book with ease, while singing like a pro. Sam Rose, I don’t know what to say about you, except that I’ve never heard anyone play classical music like you do after only two years and few play as well as you do no matter what their experience and--if I remember correctly--without the help of a teacher. You are all in rare form—or should I just say, you are all rare forms.

#1991530 - 11/27/12 02:24 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Starr Keys]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Here is another batch of comments. Such wonderful music!

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You Thanks for the interesting history of this song. You did a beautiful job of it. You make these old favorites sing!

38. DadAgain (& DadAgains Daughter) - Rondo Op163 #6 Fantastic duet! What a fun piece. You say your daughter has only played this for two weeks? Amazing! You two were beautifully coordinated.

39. Ganddalf - Prelude Op.45 Beautiful Chopin! Your playing is very well balanced with nice dynamics.

40. Sam S - Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop) This is my favorite Chopin prelude. Your melody line floats beautifully over the accompaniment. I like the sweet, lyrical touch in the beginning transitioning into the “stormy” section, calming back to lyrical. Excellent job.

41. joangolfing - Elves' Dance Nice job on the staccato and chords. This piece requires a precision in touch and you did it well.

42. Copper - What a Wonderful World This song always reminds me of You’ve Got Mail. This is a very nice arrangement and you played it well.

43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me Great job. Your singing has really matured. You capture the feeling to match your story. Beautiful.

44. Valencia - Work in Progress --Chopin's Etude 25/11 It sounds like you have a good start on this. You clearly have a good feel for the piece.

45. jotur/Cathy Turner - Alexander's Ragtime Band I am always toe-tapping with your pieces. This is so fun. I like the question/answer form of the music. Love it!

#1991539 - 11/27/12 02:38 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I apologize for being so late, but better late than never I suppose! Thanks to everyone who's given me feedback so far; you are too kind. I'll respond to those in more detail later.

First 10:

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover
Really pretty melody, and very clear and musical playing. Congrats on being brave enough to submit your own noodling on the piano! I don't think I'd have the guts to do so. Thank you!

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand
Firstly, congrats on starting to play the piano!! I started in a very similar manner (on a roommate's keyboard using the Alfred book). You play with a fluidity and musicality that's not at all expected from someone with only 5 months of experience. I really enjoyed your performance, and I look forward to hearing more music from you in future recitals as I'm sure you'll be making great progress if you keep working at it the way you have at this piece. Thank you!

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772)
I always look forward to your submissions. Very enjoyable playing, really nice ornaments, and great concentration with the noisy children in the background! Thank you!

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun
I never like listening to your submissions. Because they always make me jealous. It's not you "playing" the piano. You and the piano always seem to become one, whereas I'm still struggling to get proper music out of the piano. You always succeed at setting the mood you shoot for. And yes, I did listen to the entire thing smile Thank you!

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses
Impeccable piano sound, as usual. Your playing seems to get more confident and musical every time out. I've never heard of this composer, but your playing makes me want to learn about him, which means you've done your job really well. I wonder what you'll be playing in four or five recitals from now!! Thank you!

06. Amaruk - Summer '78
Beautifully played, and I love the look and feel of your video. This is a really beautiful melody, and you do it justice. Wonderful job. Thank you!

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1
This is definitely soothing to listen to, and I don't hear any hesitation. You don't sound too worried about the arpeggios at all, and when I got there I forgot to listen for them because I was too relaxed, so I'm sure you did them wonderfully wink Thank you!

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936)
Aaaaahhhh so much good music! Can't. Take. It. I'm going to have to start learning some Bach. This stuff is great. Nice recording quality (I always appreciate those who go to the effort of using decent recording equipment because it makes the music much more of a joy to hear) and your playing sounds great and clear. Thank you!

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge
Not really my kind of music, (I still don't "get" jazz. I think I'll start to get it when I understand music a lot better in a few years time. I never liked Bach, and now I'm starting to really like it) but you play it very well, to my uninformed ear anyway. Thank you!

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1
Well it took until #10 to get to a piece I actually know (and love). For the most part, this is just awesome! Sure, I hear a bit of rhythmic inaccuracy in a couple places, but overall, you killed this one! (That's positive slang in America. I see you're in the UK, and I don't want you to get the wrong idea.) There's so much more than just the notes here. You play this so musically. And nice job on the polyrhythms too! I hope to play this piece, this well, one day. Thank you!
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#1991573 - 11/27/12 03:50 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida

30. Jazzwee - Blue Monk
That sounded very blue to me, JW, more bluesy than monkish. Loved that comping. Must be hard to keep from getting in the way of a guitar soloist who is chording a lot. You guys sound very professional, and you seem to be developing a very diverse reportoire.

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You
I have loved this song for as long as I can remember. You're right, it is one of the all time greats. And you can't beat a Dan Coates arrangement. Nicely done, Trap, very nicely done!

BTW, how do you research these songs? I always enjoy the background info you provide.

40. Sam S - Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop)
One of the joys of these recitals is that we often get to hear this beautiful masterpiece. That was terrific. Well done.

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star
Another excellent vocal/piano performance, Bill. Nicely done.

46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2
Well done. This is one of my favorites and I really enjoyed listening. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your piano, but I can see it is not going to stop you from creating wonderful music.

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#1991704 - 11/27/12 09:05 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
20- Inlanding- man... that is HOT playing!!! Glad you are back in the saddle. Your playing is fantastic. Especially enjoyed the opening section.

#1991723 - 11/27/12 09:56 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.

....and for the final group:

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115 Well I'm not familiar with many classical pieces but I know this one. You made it instantly recognizable and did a nice job with this famous piece. I heard some tricky trills throughout as well. Nicely done.

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley. this IS a beautiful piece performed in a very elegant way. I love your smooth, flowing playing which continued into the Santa tune. What an incredible beginning as well. Super-impressive playing.

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor Sam, I just watched your video and can only say that your playing IS incredible, AND for real. You ARE the real deal. I say lose the 2 year time frame disclaimer because your playing is phenomenal for ANY amount of time. Bravo.

54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude This sounded great Tim. I liked the subtle melodic changes in the melody which kept my attention as I followed along. Nicely performed.

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri Wow, I really loved all the familiar haunting melodies. This sounded top notch and was performed equally as well. The deep church organ at the close was a great ending too.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations to all the performers. I'll have to start on something soon in an effort just to keep up with the beginners in this forum.

The talent pool here is deep. Scuba tank deep!

#1991767 - 11/28/12 12:49 AM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
44. Valencia - Work in Progress --Chopin's Etude 25/11 Wow, this is one tough project! Sounds like you're making good progress.

45. jotur/Cathy Turner - Alexander's Ragtime Band Very fun song. I enjoyed listening to it, and I bet your seniors did too!

46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2 I love this piece, and you play it so sweetly. So sad about your piano, though. Hope you can get another at some point.

47. windywindy - Love Is All Around What an upbeat feeling you give to this song! It raises my spirits just listening to it.

48. Teodor - Tereza's Inspiration (Original Piece) You're getting into composition now - very nice! I like this one a great deal. It has a depth to it that grabs my attention, and your playing complements it very well. What were you dissatisfied with -- the playing or the composition itself?

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star This is one of my favorite Disney songs too. You've got a great voice for this one -- especially those deep notes.

50. Bessel - The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman Listening to The Happy Farmer made me happy. smile Despite a small stumble or two, you've really got the feeling for these two pieces. Glad to hear you're re-motivated!

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115 I really like the little ornaments you've added to both these pieces. Were they notated in the score, or did you add those yourself? Have you tried to stretch the dynamics a bit? I think that would add a lot of interest, especially in BWV 114.

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley. The two pieces are both very well done -- you can certainly handle quite different styles. But such an unexpected combination! The first is so serious, and then the second is, well..., it's Santa Claus! (A much more interesting version that one usually hears, though.) Love the ending. smile

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor I was just playing through (sight-reading) this piece tonight. Bringing it up to speed and playing it as musically as you have would be a real challenge. You've done such an excellent job with it.

54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude Nice playing. You must enjoy learning and playing these anime pieces. I hope you enjoy the new things you're learning with your teacher just as much.

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri Oohh. I've got goosebumps! What a great set for Halloween.

#1991817 - 11/28/12 04:11 AM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: MaryBee]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
My last batch of reviews:

46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2 I am so sorry to hear about your piano! That is sad. Very nice job on this Nocturne. You gave it a nice tranquil feel, that fits very well. Very nice balance between the melody and accompaniment.

47. windywindy - Love Is All Around Very nice playing on this old classic.

48. Teodor - Tereza's Inspiration (Original Piece) What a beautiful, sensitive song. I like your powerful transition into the finish. Very nice.

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star I like the very full and rich accompaniments that you do for your vocals. This is one of my favorite Disney tunes, and you sang it beautifully.

50. Bessel - The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman These are such fun little pieces. Very nice job!

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115 These two pair so well. Very nice ornamentation and dynamic balancing of the voices.

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley. The first piece is beautiful. The arrangement is full and rich and your phrasing was very nice. The transition into the second piece was well done and the Santa was a lot of fun! I really enjoyed your arrangement. Great listening!

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor Isn’t this piece fun? It looks easy but it is quite the work out. Your Presto is quite presto! I thought you did an outstanding job on this.

54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude This a very pretty piece and you played it well. Excellent job for the short time you have been at the keyboard.

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri Wow! What a powerful mix you have created! I like the tension and suspense that you build through the medley. The organ finale was a nice touch.

Thanks to everyone for such beautiful music. I love listening to these recitals and hearing everyone's progress.

#1991832 - 11/28/12 06:28 AM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
smile I'm delighted with the comments you made on my piece. It is a pleasure to contribute to these magnificent recitals.
Here are some comments on comments:

Jazzwee - Jazzwee, this was not pre-planned. I was playing some variations arround the theme and I just joined them until I get the final result. It was a matter of 2/3 sessions. Thanks for your comments.

BenPiano - BenPiano, I put this on piano at the same time I was listening the variations in my mind. There was no "gap" between thinking and playing. Thanks for your comments.

ATallGuyNH - P85 is fine to practice, althoug there are, today, other models you may consider. I'm glade you like my piece. Thanks for your comments.

Allard - Allard, I was focused and envolved with the original tune, so It was easy to get the mood. Thanks for your comments.

Casinitaly - Cas, as I'm free as a bird to choose my repertoire, it's normal to pay attention on what my close family tell about new pieces (and they are very picky...!). Here, at PW, you also have a major role on my progress and choices. I love to play to you all. About the piece, I was focused and envolved with the original tune, so it was easy to follow the mood. Thanks for your comments.

BeccaBb, Bessel and Sam S - I payed attention to "aditional info" field while submiting this, because I doesn't want to keep the original melody credits for me. Thanks for your comments.

TrapperJohn, TX-Dennis, BillM and CebuKid - I'm glade you like my piece. Thanks for your comment.

Jotur - When I was seeking about the story of this piece, I was intrigued when I realized it was +500 years. I agree it's a beautifull music. Thansk for your comments

Windywindy - Very well observed Windywindy. The LH work gives a Renascence touch to my extension. I didn't notice it...

Amaruk - Yes it's old... and it was a surprise for me, too. I may try to write this version for share with you. Thanks for your comments.

Mr Super-Hunky - Mr SH, thanks so much for your comment. I didn't had realized that my piece was so... exquisite. But, yes, it is, I agree. Thanks for your comments.

MaryBee - I din't follow any rules regarding with composing. I was just inspired and moving forward whit my hands. Thanks for your comments.

Jazztpt - I had to make a warn because I'm not so perfeccionist as some of the members of PW. I'm glad you like my piece. Thanks for your comments.

More later.

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

.:: Visit the 'European Piano Party 2014 - EPP2014' thread ::.

#1991876 - 11/28/12 09:19 AM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
PianoStudent88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thank you all for your kind comments on my playing of the Petzold Minuets.

MaryBee, the ornaments were written in my score. This is the Henle urtext edition, so that means they were also written in the original score. I'd like to learn how to add ornamentation in a Baroque style when it's not written in, but I don't know where I'm ever going to find the resources to teach me that.

#1991900 - 11/28/12 11:00 AM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Hi, CarlosCC -

Hm. I think you mean +100 years old for Alexander's Ragtime Band, and I'll admit it amazes me, too. It lets me know just how old *I'm* getting that it seemed still fresh when I was a kid.

Then again, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Irving Berlin had quoted some melody that's more than 500 years old. It was the style in popular music of that day to quote rather liberally from other songs/tunes. And tunes/songs were popular for a long time - many of the big band era swing tunes were 30 or more years old - ARB was still going strong during WWII.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment - these recitals are great.

Cathy

#1991928 - 11/28/12 12:07 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Starkeys, thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement to try singing along with my self (at the keyboard or afterwards... ) Thank goodness for modern technology, it gives us so many options!

#1991990 - 11/28/12 02:52 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I was just wondering.

Now that we have lots of recital comments, and comments on the comments. Is there a way we can take this to the next level and have comments on the comments which were based upon the original comments? You see, if we do, we might be able to keep this going a while until we reach the next "one month 'till recital" thread in which we will start the pre-hype comments, followed by the actual performance comments which leads to the comments on comments that ultimately could lead to the new comment on comment on comment category.

No, we're not a repetitive bunch, just very thorough that's all! Hehe.

#1991991 - 11/28/12 02:53 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: MaryBee]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Originally Posted By: MaryBee

48. Teodor - Tereza's Inspiration (Original Piece) You're getting into composition now - very nice! I like this one a great deal. It has a depth to it that grabs my attention, and your playing complements it very well. What were you dissatisfied with -- the playing or the composition itself?

I wasn't perfectly happy with the playing but I did my best, the important thing is, I am moving forward and making progress.

Recitals:

#1992031 - 11/28/12 04:20 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: TX-Dennis]
Starr Keys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TX-Dennis

43 Starr Keys Broken Hearted Me, Randy Goodrum
Nice song, and your sister's art is quite good. I don't remember hearing the song before, but I was not a big fan of Ann Murray. Your accompaniment fits it well. A well done and moving performance.

Originally Posted By: SwissMiss
Great job. Your singing has really matured. You capture the feeling to match your story. Beautiful.

I was going to wait and thank everyone as a group who commented on my song after AndyPlatt the way I thanked everyone who commented up to him, but since one of two people who posted since then is not in the ecital and just posted her last batch of comments, I will comment now, since I'm afraid she will not see it otherwise.

Thank you both for your very kinds words of support. I've always been attracted by the story-telling aspect of song, and since my parents started taking us to Broadway musicals at about age 5, I thought my sister would appreciate that approach to her art as well.

Edited by Starr Keys (11/28/12 04:24 PM)

#1992033 - 11/28/12 04:22 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted By: jotur
Hi, CarlosCC -

Hm. I think you mean +100 years old for Alexander's Ragtime Band, and I'll admit it amazes me, too. It lets me know just how old *I'm* getting that it seemed still fresh when I was a kid.

Then again, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Irving Berlin had quoted some melody that's more than 500 years old. It was the style in popular music of that day to quote rather liberally from other songs/tunes. And tunes/songs were popular for a long time - many of the big band era swing tunes were 30 or more years old - ARB was still going strong during WWII.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment - these recitals are great.
Cathy

That's right, Cathy, I wanted to mean the beginning of 20th century. IMO a music can catch you no matter how old it is - 100, +500 years old, who cares? -. That's the true beauty of music.
Thanks for listening and comment my piece, too.

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

.:: Visit the 'European Piano Party 2014 - EPP2014' thread ::.

#1992034 - 11/28/12 04:24 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's my next response category. I still have one after this:

7. Classical, but not the usual type of selection we’ve come to expect from these people

Both people in this category departed from their typical selections without any loss of quality in their playing. Since I value exploration and openness above all else, even in classical music, I had to honor these departures with a special category.

3 CebuKid
5 Wouter79

CebuKid – Quite an about face – from Joplin to Bach. Great finger action!--I'm sure Joplin didn't hurt in this respect. Wouter79 – I found this lighter and more charming and emotional than your usual selections from the period. Nice to see another side of Wouter79.

#1992058 - 11/28/12 05:26 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
I was just wondering.

Now that we have lots of recital comments, and comments on the comments. Is there a way we can take this to the next level and have comments on the comments which were based upon the original comments?

But we long ago reached that level of commentary (the "3rd level", one could call it) and some adventurous souls have already explored the interesting possibilities of the 4th level (comments on the comments on the comments on the comments) - it has become an advanced "fine art"...

And while this process does to a large degree serve an informational function, it's alternative, not-so-well-hidden agenda is to garner to oneself multiple compliments far beyond those originally received - this is accomplished primarily through the technique of "quoting" the nice things reviewers say about one's performance so that they appear again (and again) in the thread while one comments on the compliments (predominantly by complimenting the complimentor on his/her very good taste for complimenting you in the first place smile ) .

Not that there's anything wrong with this...I myself am a confirmed devotee and veteran practitioner of this long-established method of personal aggrandisement and shameless self promotion laugh

Comments anyone?

Trap

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1992059 - 11/28/12 05:28 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I was just wondering.

Now that we have lots of recital comments, and comments on the comments. Is there a way we can take this to the next level and have comments on the comments which were based upon the original comments? You see, if we do, we might be able to keep this going a while until we reach the next "one month 'till recital" thread in which we will start the pre-hype comments, followed by the actual performance comments which leads to the comments on comments that ultimately could lead to the new comment on comment on comment category.

No, we're not a repetitive bunch, just very thorough that's all! Hehe.

That sounds like a lot of work --- there'd be too much time spent writing comments and not enough playing piano! smile

#1992082 - 11/28/12 06:04 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: TrapperJohn]
Starr Keys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
I was just wondering.

Now that we have lots of recital comments, and comments on the comments. Is there a way we can take this to the next level and have comments on the comments which were based upon the original comments?

But we long ago reached that level of commentary (the "3rd level", one could call it) and some adventurous souls have already explored the interesting possibilities of the 4th level (comments on the comments on the comments on the comments) - it has become an advanced "fine art"...

And while this process does to a large degree serve an informational function, it's alternative, not-so-well-hidden agenda is to garner to oneself multiple compliments far beyond those originally received - this is accomplished primarily through the technique of "quoting" the nice things reviewers say about one's performance so that they appear again (and again) in the thread while one comments on the compliments (predominantly by complimenting the complimentor on his/her very good taste for complimenting you in the first place smile ) .

Not that there's anything wrong with this...I myself am a confirmed devotee and veteran practitioner of this long-established method of personal aggrandisement and shameless self promotion laugh

Comments anyone?
Trap

Yes, sure, I’ll comment – since this metacommentary started directly after the posts represented by Cheryl and my continued dialogue.

This sounds like another convenient excuse for not engaging in any helpful give and take in the ABF, except that of holding forth about ones “cynical” opinions, including not taking on any of the responsibility for participation in the ecital for commenting on anyone’s performance except one’s own-- including providing video commentary on the latter which no one seems interested on commenting on. Sounds like sour grapes to me. If not the musings of a “jaundice eye,” at least those of a decidedly curmudgeon-ly one. At this time of year, Henry F. Potter, the miserable mean old man played by Lionel Barrymore in “It’s a Wonderful Life” comes to mind.

#1992116 - 11/28/12 07:38 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Starr Keys]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
...If not the musings of a “jaundice eye,” at least those of a decidedly curmudgeon-ly one. At this time of year, Henry F. Potter, the miserable mean old man played by Lionel Barrymore in “It’s a Wonderful Life” comes to mind.

Maybe a curmudgeon with only one jaundiced eye - right in the center of my forehead laugh

And, yes! Henry - one of my all time favorite heros (along with Darth Vader and Scrooge).

Sorry you took my commentary personally - actually I didn't even know you and Cheryl were having a "dialog" - I long ago stopped reading these threads in their entirety - I was just scanning thru looking for something unusual and interesting when I came upon Hunky's post (which are almost always both) and it inspired me - my comments were general and referred to all the comments in all the Discussion Threads since the Recitals started way back when - and they were mostly intended as satirical humor (which we always seem to be so short of around here) - but as with all satire there is a small element of truth in it (I'm sure you'll admit in all honesty) - As a matter of fact, I think I may have been one of the first to use the commentary technique I parody (or at least one of the first to develope it into a fine art...)

Again I apologize if you took offense - none was intended toward anyone in particular (although maybe towards everyone in general laugh )

Trap

BTW - if you'll scan back thru this thread you'll see that I have offered commentary on selected performances, almost all of which are complimentary...

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1992125 - 11/28/12 08:13 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Star Keys, Don't get worked up over Trapper. He really has no negative intent towards anyone here. Actually, some of his replies just crack me up like this last one.

It is the fact that we can poke fun at ourselves that makes this place so much fun.

Just toss a pie at him when he's not lookin'. (hint... insult Karen Carpenter tunes)!
It's okay. You can toss a pie at anyone here. After we all laugh it off, we'll just sit down and eat pie. What's not to love about that?

#1992129 - 11/28/12 08:20 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

53. Sam Rose...Holy Cow Sam! This is fantastic!!! Very smooth and unforced. Just beautifully played. You are a natural!! I had to listen to it again. (Good recording too. And the piano sounds great.)

55. Mile hi Steve.- That must have been one heck of a Haloween party. It's a really interesting arrangement. I really like the middle section with the piano overlaying the distant organ.

#1992131 - 11/28/12 08:24 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Star Keys, Don't get worked up over Trapper. He really has no negative intent towards anyone here. Actually, some of his replies just crack me up like this last one.

It is the fact that we can poke fun at ourselves that makes this place so much fun.

Just toss a pie at him when he's not lookin'. (hint... insult Karen Carpenter tunes)!
It's okay. You can toss a pie at anyone here. After we all laugh it off, we'll just sit down and eat pie. What's not to love about that?

SH, ever think of being a moderator here for a living? I hear they make big bucks and you would be great at it.

#1992135 - 11/28/12 08:36 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas

Mmmmm . . . pie!

flickr

#1992147 - 11/28/12 08:58 PM Re: Recital #28 --- General Discussion Room [Re: TrapperJohn]
MaryBee Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
I long ago stopped reading these threads in their entirety - I was just scanning thru looking for something unusual and interesting [...]

Does that mean we shouldn't bother commenting on your recital submission, since you likely aren't reading those comments? Or are those are the "unusual and interesting" things you're looking for? wink On the other hand, maybe there are other people interested in reading the comments on your piece. confused Oh, wait... you probably won't be reading this post, so I shouldn't even bother asking. laugh

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (accordeur, Arizona Sage, Almaviva, 38 invisible), 1490 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153513 Topics
2249583 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
Cristina Perri - HUMAN piano cover
by SAO
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Valentina Lisitsa plays Michael Nyman!!
by ShiroKuro
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Chopin Op28 No 20
by Arizona Sage
Yesterday at 10:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission