Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1987866 - 11/17/12 03:46 PM Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural
lluiscl Offline

Hi. I am looking for a new light hammer heads and I'd need to know which is the less dense of these felts and its performance... (Ronsen can't be an option here).
Any input will be welcome.
All the best

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1989385 - 11/21/12 12:25 PM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: lluiscl]
Sussexpianos Offline

Loc: Sussex, England, UK
Would it not be easier to email them and ask the weights of the first and last? Bear in mind that weight does change as hammer moldings are made from wood which is inconsistent.

#1989469 - 11/21/12 03:46 PM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: Sussexpianos]
lluiscl Offline

Originally Posted By: Sussexpianos
Would it not be easier to email them and ask the weights of the first and last? Bear in mind that weight does change as hammer moldings are made from wood which is inconsistent.

Thanks. Of course I can't get this information from the manufacturer. Usually hornbeam moldings are the heaviest and walnut the lightest (and mahogany in middle) but the felt density is (at same size) the crucial point here.

#1989476 - 11/21/12 04:00 PM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: Sussexpianos]
otherside Offline

Ari Isaac's ?

#1989563 - 11/21/12 07:24 PM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: lluiscl]
kpembrook Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: lluiscl
Originally Posted By: Sussexpianos

Thanks. Of course I can't get this information from the manufacturer. Usually hornbeam moldings are the heaviest and walnut the lightest (and mahogany in middle) but the felt density is (at same size) the crucial point here.

Maybe you could tell us what the real issue is and why you consider felt density to be of such importance? I think there may be variables you are not taking into account.

#1989659 - 11/22/12 03:35 AM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: kpembrook]
lluiscl Offline

I am finishing to restoring an old Bechstein grand which has a rocker-tied action which really I adore: the touch is very responsible and light (with DW of 50 grms) but it needs new hammers. Testing individually with different modern ones is clear for me that I need a softer/light hammer to sound and touch properly (I don't want to add leads -if its possible- or needling 30 times for note...).
I live in Europe so Abel natural's (never tested yet) or the newest Weickert Special felt from Renner (probably the best ones) are my chosen. Both make special hammers for old Bechstein's. Knowing real weight (not possible yet) ot felt density will help... Or may be anyone have tested them..?
All the best

#1989661 - 11/22/12 03:50 AM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: lluiscl]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've worked with both, and in my experience, both are going to require pre-needling. That's just how it is, unfortunately. Weight, if it's an issue, is easily taken care of via proper hammer prep (particularly tapering and coving).
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1989773 - 11/22/12 12:48 PM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: lluiscl]
Bill McKaig,RPT Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I've used the Abel naturals and I would not consider them to be light hammers. They are very good, but they do require quite a bit of needling.

#1989788 - 11/22/12 01:16 PM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: lluiscl]
Steve Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto

I just regulated an old Bechstein E concert grand that I put
A. Isaac hammers on 25 years ago. Touchweight was not an issue and they matched the earlier hammers quite well. I've also used them on a few Bechstein B's. The Renner and Abel hammers are not manufactured in a way that will match the originals, no matter what you do.

Take care,

Steve

http://stevejacksonpianos.com

#1989790 - 11/22/12 01:19 PM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: lluiscl]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Abel offers a recovering service - basically putting new felt on old moldings. This sounds like the most appropriate course for a that had very light hammers to begin with.
www.pianova.net

#1989803 - 11/22/12 01:51 PM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: rysowers]
lluiscl Offline

Thanks a lot for your inputs. Yes, I agree Abel makes a good refelt work. My intention is to change also shanks and flanges (I have a semi-new set from Renner full compatible with the old ones) so new hammers is my choice. If I read correctly Weickert felt (made in Wurzen fabrik) was probably the original felt hammers in the most vintage german pianos (before WWII). I also read marvels about the recent ones (André Oorebeek included). Anyone has tested them? (named "Renner blue point" in USA)

#1989880 - 11/22/12 06:06 PM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: lluiscl]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: lluiscl
Thanks a lot for your inputs. Yes, I agree Abel makes a good refelt work. My intention is to change also shanks and flanges (I have a semi-new set from Renner full compatible with the old ones) so new hammers is my choice. If I read correctly Weickert felt (made in Wurzen fabrik) was probably the original felt hammers in the most vintage german pianos (before WWII). I also read marvels about the recent ones (André Oorebeek included). Anyone has tested them? (named "Renner blue point" in USA)

The felt is only a part of what determines the working characteristic of a set of piano hammers. Starting with Weikert felt a hammermaker can come up with a variety of weights and densities of hammers. Hammers using the same brand of felt can end up producing tone qualities that vary dramatically.

My favorite after-market hammers for pianos like the one you’ve described are made by Ronsen using Weikert felt—For some reason you’ve ruled them out.—but it would be quite easy to produce hammers using Weikert felt that were rock hard and completely unmusical. All that is needed is a lot of compression and heat.

On the other hand it is possible to make quite nice hammers using felt of lesser quality if the hammermaker is careful to control the shape of the felt strip, temperature, pressure, the amount of felt compression, etc. Don’t make your hammer selection based on felt alone; it is certainly important but it is not the only important criteria.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#1989905 - 11/22/12 08:36 PM Re: Renner Weickert felt vs. Abel Natural [Re: Steve Jackson]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Steve, you echo what I have heard about Ari Isaac's hammers, years down the line, the hammers are still able to produce a great sound.

I am surprised that more techs are not using his hammers.

Recently, Ari Isaac was at my home to voice his Classical West hammers. I had invited any local PTG techs to come hear my 1927 M&H BB after Ari was finished voicing and tuning. Two techs were able to make it on short notice. One of them was starting a Steinway B rebuild. After hearing my piano, they asked Ari for a few samples, which he sent. They then ordered a full set for this Steinway. The end result now is that the tech is totally happy with the sound of the Steinway, adjectives they used to describe the sound, "amazing", "fabulous". The other tech was very impressed with the hammers.

I am extremely happy with his hammers, and his bass strings for that matter. The tone I have now is just fantastic.

It might be worth it to see if he can help you with your project.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
122 registered (Atrys, ADWyatt, AZ_Astro, Almaviva, 34 invisible), 1293 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153490 Topics
2249183 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
Cracks in my soundboard??
by Markarian
Yesterday at 09:35 PM
OT Heartbleed
by doremi
Yesterday at 08:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission