Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1989556 - 11/21/12 07:01 PM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: debrucey]
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Originally Posted By: debrucey
Originally Posted By: Samuel1993
Hmmm, this really saddens me. Why should music come to that? If somebody connects with a piece,and plays it well and understand the emotional depth of the piece, then who cares whether the piece is well known or not. I just find the whole concept of "banned repertoire" pretty ignorant and silly. I mean, music is music, you can't "sort" music like that.

It's a JOKE!

And I'm again reminded that many people do not read threads. They just read the OP. There are at least five posts in this thread that use terms like irony, sarcasm, or satire.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1989557 - 11/21/12 07:04 PM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Thracozaag]

Originally Posted By: Thracozaag
I really can't believe how many people think this is real. I mean jesus christ.

Just talked with the "editor" of the Yard, and he just got a call from Juilliard admissions who got inundated with panicked calls from prospective auditionees. laugh

One way to note the success of this "Yard" article is to see the reactions of the gullible, the credulous, and the inattentive readers. smile
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1989564 - 11/21/12 07:27 PM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Piano*Dad]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City
Me thinks Orson Wells would have a field day in our current "information" era--where critical thinking/reading seems to be at an all time low, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#1989565 - 11/21/12 07:31 PM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Thracozaag]

Me thinks Orson Wells would have a field day in our current "information" era--where critical thinking/reading seems to be at an all time low, haha.

... and that would be titled, "War of the Conservatories!"

Actually, I can't help but see a (possibly unintended) tweaking of Curtis, which specializes a bit more than Juilliard in precisely that 19th century literature.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1989566 - 11/21/12 07:31 PM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Piano*Dad]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Tell me about it, anything post 1920 at Curtis made people twitchy.

#1989589 - 11/21/12 09:51 PM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Thracozaag]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just talked with the "editor" of the Yard, and he just got a call from Juilliard admissions who got inundated with panicked calls from prospective auditionees. laugh

There is now a disclaimer at the top of the article warning readers that this is not the official position of Juilliard. laugh

#1989590 - 11/21/12 09:53 PM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Arghhh]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Arghhh

There is now a disclaimer at the top of the article warning readers that this is not the official position of Juilliard. laugh

Yep, per the admissions "suggestion" blush

#1989627 - 11/22/12 12:39 AM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Piano*Dad]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Juilliard's version of an Onion article. Irony challenge is a serious condition. grin

In medical circles, I believe the official nomenclature is "irony deficiency."

#1989629 - 11/22/12 12:41 AM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Piano*Dad]

Quote:
There is now a disclaimer at the top of the article warning readers that this is not the official position of Juilliard.

For the irony deficient ...
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1989640 - 11/22/12 01:54 AM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Piano*Dad]
redrobin62 Offline

Too funny. I'm surprised they didn't just go ahead and ad all Beethoven's "named" sonatas to the banned list.
Pignose acoustic

#1989648 - 11/22/12 02:20 AM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: redrobin62]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Originally Posted By: redrobin62
Too funny. I'm surprised they didn't just go ahead and ad all Beethoven's "named" sonatas to the banned list.

As I recall, for a Master's audition, you can play any of the Beethoven sonatas except for the "sonatinas" Opp. 14, 49, and 79. One can only imagine how good you would have to be to get in playing the Moonlight.

#1989667 - 11/22/12 05:00 AM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Thracozaag]
LimeFriday Offline

Loc: Australia

My thoughts exactly! Incredible that those outraged people who commented on the article had to scroll past the disclaimer at the bottom of the piece to get to the comments box. Obviously so terrified by the march of communism they were blinded to the tongue in cheek tone smile

#1989692 - 11/22/12 07:16 AM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Kreisler]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
You wouldn't need to ban as much Chopin as you might expect. It may come as a surprise to many pianists that Chopin wrote more than two nocturnes. (Op. 27/2 and Op. 48/1 aren't the only ones!)

It may also come as a surprise to many that the Preludes don't need to be played complete and can be interspersed with these things called waltzes. There are also some impromptus that aren't hackneyed (3 in fact!)

No, it all has to be banned, just because it's by Chopin. He's one of the few composers I know of whose music is so grossly overexposed that even if I had never heard a piece of his before, if somebody started playing it, I'd think, "Oh, no, not more Chopin." The particular piece no longer matters, the composer's style in itself has achieved over-saturation, regardless of which piece is in front of you.

I also get that stylistic over-saturation effect with Mozart, Vivaldi, Mahler, Shostakovich, and very intermittently, Brahms.

#1989752 - 11/22/12 11:48 AM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: redrobin62]
TheHappyMoron Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
i can't open the link but i second banning the chopin. Chopin is really doing my head in at the moment. But not as much as Brahms. Let's ban Brahms.

#1989799 - 11/22/12 01:34 PM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Thracozaag]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Tell me about it, anything post 1920 at Curtis made people twitchy.

I would have been happy there! smile

Cheers!

#1989853 - 11/22/12 04:50 PM Re: Juilliard Releases Banned Repertoire List [Re: Piano*Dad]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
Adventure is the spice of life! Explore new sounds as well as inner voices!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
167 registered (ajames, 89grand, 36251, 50 invisible), 1419 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157090 Topics
2306964 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Could you please help my son choose a composition?
by christineka
08/27/14 12:47 PM
New old Vose and Sons Upright Piano
by RT White
08/27/14 11:01 AM
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
08/27/14 08:28 AM
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
08/27/14 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
08/27/14 03:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission