Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1989604 - 11/21/12 10:31 PM What does this musical symbol mean?
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I can't show you a picture of the symbol of piece it came from a I lack the computer skills. The piece was a jazz version of White Christmas. The symbol looked liked a quarter of a circle...the part from 12:15 to 12:30. At first I thought it was some misprint on the score but it appeared many times....each time before a tied single note G in the bass.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1989612 - 11/21/12 11:19 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
Nikolas Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Is it filled (black)? Or not?

#1989620 - 11/21/12 11:34 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: Nikolas]

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Is it filled (black)? Or not?
No, just like a quarter of a circle drawn.

#1989628 - 11/22/12 12:40 AM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Maybe it is a jazz symbol (I don't play jazz, but jazz has its own symbols, for example if you look at this page and search for "jazz symbols" it shows something that could be what you are looking for).

Music is my best friend.

#1989730 - 11/22/12 10:42 AM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Can you photograph it with your phone and email it to someone who can put it up here?

It sounds like a "wedge" -- an accent -- but usually these are triangular and not 1/4 of a circle.

#1989744 - 11/22/12 11:35 AM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Does it have a dot under it? If so it's a fermata.

rada

#1989750 - 11/22/12 11:42 AM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: rada]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: rada
Does it have a dot under it? If so it's a fermata.

rada

No; he said that the curved line occurs at the 3 to 6 position on a clock.

#1989753 - 11/22/12 11:49 AM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I can't show you a picture of the symbol of piece it came from a I lack the computer skills. The piece was a jazz version of White Christmas. The symbol looked liked a quarter of a circle...the part from 12:15 to 12:30. At first I thought it was some misprint on the score but it appeared many times....each time before a tied single note G in the bass.

I wonder if it is a symbol used in jazz somewhat akin to a "slide" or "schleifer" in Baroque music where two notes of the scale below the note on the score are played, quickly, step-wise on the beat before the principal note. Conventionally, this would be noted as grace notes before the beat, but I'm wondering - pure speculation on my part and if this symbol represents what I'm suggesting - if this gives the performer a choice of how many notes to play rather than being given a specific number as in the grace notes.

It seems to me that what I suggest is something I've heard in jazz/pop piano music, although not having any jazz scores, I've not seen how this might be notated other than as grace notes before the beat.

Regards,

#1989762 - 11/22/12 12:21 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: BruceD]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
If it *always* occurs before the tied G, could it be a glitch in the engraving process that put it there? In other words, a mistake? Where is it, exactly, in relation to the tied notes -- right in front of them, and on the same level?

www.josephkubera.com

#1989827 - 11/22/12 03:32 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: RealPlayer]

Originally Posted By: RealPlayer
If it *always* occurs before the tied G, could it be a glitch in the engraving process that put it there? In other words, a mistake? Where is it, exactly, in relation to the tied notes -- right in front of them, and on the same level?
It's always slightly to the left a slightly below the note head for first of the two tied G's. I'm guessing the arranger used some computer program to print this piece so it may very well be a glitch. The piece sounds perfectly OK to me as is(without assuming this symbol adds anything).

Edited by pianoloverus (11/22/12 03:34 PM)

#1989835 - 11/22/12 03:49 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: BruceD]

Originally Posted By: BruceD

I wonder if it is a symbol used in jazz somewhat akin to a "slide" or "schleifer" in Baroque music where two notes of the scale below the note on the score are played, quickly, step-wise on the beat before the principal note.
I can't imagine adding any grace notes before the G's would sound good in this instance, but that may just be because I've learned it without adding any extra notes and am used to hearing it that way.

#1990426 - 11/24/12 05:54 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1990585 - 11/25/12 04:14 AM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Sounds kind of like a scoop, which you could likely get a good description of on the non-classical forums if you haven't tried already. I've encountered these in Jamey Aebersold jazz instructional texts that aren't instrument-specific (not sure any of his are).

Scoop - (music, often with "up") To begin a vocal note slightly below the target pitch and then to slide up to the target pitch, especially in country music.

of the picture you and bruce described, a Breath Mark also comes to mind, though I can hardly imagine why such a mark would come up in discussion here or be listed on any piano transcriptions (or why you wouldn't say the symbol looked like a comma)

Edited by Bobpickle (11/25/12 04:15 AM)

#1990586 - 11/25/12 04:18 AM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: Bobpickle]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I had initially thought it could be a breath mark too, but then I noticed he said "in the bass" (and breath marks are usually not in the bass). I am pretty sure it is a jazz symbol.

Music is my best friend.

#1990606 - 11/25/12 07:46 AM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]

I emailed the person who arranged this piece after finding out his PW name in another thread where he posted an arrangement of Lo How A Rose E're Blooming. So if he gets back to me we'll all find out if this is a symbol or a typo.

It's not a breath mark which is shaped like a comma and has a different shape then I described in my OP.

#1990757 - 11/25/12 04:07 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
LimeFriday Offline

Loc: Australia

Is this an example of the symbol? From what I gather - it is a scoop.

#1990801 - 11/25/12 07:56 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: LimeFriday]

Originally Posted By: LimeFriday

Yes, the version in the piece I mentioned looks like the one next to the E in your score. So what does it mean?

#1990839 - 11/25/12 10:09 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
LimeFriday Offline

Loc: Australia
I am no expert by any means - so don't take my word as gospel - but my understanding is that it indicates sliding up to the note. Starting slightly below pitch - and sliding to the note. I've heard it used by acoustic and electric guitars - but I would imagine it's used elsewhere as well.

#1990847 - 11/25/12 10:31 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: LimeFriday]

I am no expert by any means - so don't take my word as gospel - but my understanding is that it indicates sliding up to the note. Starting slightly below pitch - and sliding to the note. I've heard it used by acoustic and electric guitars - but I would imagine it's used elsewhere as well.
The music in question is for solo piano.

#1990870 - 11/25/12 11:21 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
Nikolas Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe

Yes, the version in the piece I mentioned looks like the one next to the E in your score. So what does it mean?
Ah... ok then...

This is why none of us could understand what you mean. This is a symbol for winds instruments (mostly, and could also apply to strings as well if need be).

It's the idea of 'gliding into the right note'. If this is a score for keyboards rather than piano, then I'd assume that the composer/editor means using the pitch wheel a little. If this is for piano though, I'd just do a couple of appogiaturas there and get it over with...

Depending on the bend, and the direction of the note, you chose the right appogiaturas... That's all there is to it. But it totally makes sense that noone could understand what you mean. It's very very rarely seen in piano music. If you had gone to the non classical forum, I think you'd have a much better chance of getting a reply sooner!

#1990873 - 11/25/12 11:35 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

Who's arrangement is it?

#1992221 - 11/29/12 12:11 AM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Think of a bagpipe, warming up . . .

#1992225 - 11/29/12 12:15 AM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: Damon]

Originally Posted By: Damon

Who's arrangement is it?
J. Keil

#1992621 - 11/29/12 10:47 PM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
Here is a scoop used in charts for horn players: lead sheets scoop

Looks like the music above has the player falling off to a rest and slurring up to a rest. You can slur notes on a piano. Done all the time in jazz and blues. The Chopin I'm learning has series of tiny notes leading to the end note.

I have never seen the symbol at the last 1/2 note chord - squiggly arrow. I'm used to a broken chord symbol - always in my world rolled from the bass on up. I have never seen one with an arrowhead on the top.

OP said it is a jazz version of White Christmas - so it's probably intended to mean a pitch wheel maneuver. I play keys, but most of the keyboard players I know don't read!

Edited by daviel (11/29/12 10:57 PM)

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1992645 - 11/30/12 12:56 AM Re: What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: pianoloverus]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I have the same situation with a crazy looking squiggle marking at the end of one of the Bolcom Ghost Rags...nobody has been able to figure it out (so far)...

Edited by Auntie Lynn (11/30/12 12:57 AM)

#1992659 - 11/30/12 01:50 AM What does this musical symbol mean? [Re: Auntie Lynn]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Auntie Lynn
I have the same situation with a crazy looking squiggle marking at the end of one of the Bolcom Ghost Rags...nobody has been able to figure it out (so far)...

Let me see . . . . . what could we all learn from this thread so far?
Reviewing for a moment, our original poster gave a word description (actually a pretty graphic one!) of the symbol he was attempting to decipher.
Nicholas attempted to get a more complete picture. Others started guessing, and zeroing in on jazz articulation. Then BobPickle had a very educated guess, but we had no way of being sure.
But it was not until someone actually posted the pictures of these symbols, and they were verified by our original poster, that Nikolas could actually, and definitively say, this is a _____.

Now, here we are, a few days later, with a new and different word description. So, let's see - we could ask more questions verbally, and then a few individuals could start guessing at it, based on the word descriptions. And then, someone else could hunt around and link-in an image of what we think this "crazy looking squiggle marking" might be. And then we'll need to wait for confirmation from Auntie Lynn that one of them is the correct symbol in question.
=OR=
Auntie Lynn could just post an image of the "crazy looking squiggle marking", so we can decipher it for her.

But, I guess that ruins the dance?

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
134 registered (accordeur, Atrys, Adam Coleman, ando, 45 invisible), 1450 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74232 Members
42 Forums
153557 Topics
2250513 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Supporting young student
by Cardinal201
16 minutes 31 seconds ago
The Search
by mlpiano88
52 minutes 44 seconds ago
Polyphony with Polyphonist - Installment 1
by Polyphonist
Today at 06:51 PM
Help dating old Mcphail Upright Piano
by joe513
Today at 06:39 PM
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
Today at 04:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission