2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 4 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
lluiscl Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi. I am looking for a new light hammer heads and I'd need to know which is the less dense of these felts and its performance... (Ronsen can't be an option here).
Any input will be welcome.
All the best

Would it not be easier to email them and ask the weights of the first and last? Bear in mind that weight does change as hammer moldings are made from wood which is inconsistent.

L
lluiscl Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Sussexpianos
Would it not be easier to email them and ask the weights of the first and last? Bear in mind that weight does change as hammer moldings are made from wood which is inconsistent.

Thanks. Of course I can't get this information from the manufacturer. Usually hornbeam moldings are the heaviest and walnut the lightest (and mahogany in middle) but the felt density is (at same size) the crucial point here.

O
O
Ari Isaac's ?

K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by lluiscl
Originally Posted by Sussexpianos

Thanks. Of course I can't get this information from the manufacturer. Usually hornbeam moldings are the heaviest and walnut the lightest (and mahogany in middle) but the felt density is (at same size) the crucial point here.

Maybe you could tell us what the real issue is and why you consider felt density to be of such importance? I think there may be variables you are not taking into account.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
L
lluiscl Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am finishing to restoring an old Bechstein grand which has a rocker-tied action which really I adore: the touch is very responsible and light (with DW of 50 grms) but it needs new hammers. Testing individually with different modern ones is clear for me that I need a softer/light hammer to sound and touch properly (I don't want to add leads -if its possible- or needling 30 times for note...).
I live in Europe so Abel natural's (never tested yet) or the newest Weickert Special felt from Renner (probably the best ones) are my chosen. Both make special hammers for old Bechstein's. Knowing real weight (not possible yet) ot felt density will help... Or may be anyone have tested them..?
All the best

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I've worked with both, and in my experience, both are going to require pre-needling. That's just how it is, unfortunately. Weight, if it's an issue, is easily taken care of via proper hammer prep (particularly tapering and coving).

B
B
I've used the Abel naturals and I would not consider them to be light hammers. They are very good, but they do require quite a bit of needling.

Professional Piano Technician serving the Tampa bay area. website: mckaigpianoservice.com
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

I just regulated an old Bechstein E concert grand that I put
A. Isaac hammers on 25 years ago. Touchweight was not an issue and they matched the earlier hammers quite well. I've also used them on a few Bechstein B's. The Renner and Abel hammers are not manufactured in a way that will match the originals, no matter what you do.

Take care,

Steve

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Abel offers a recovering service - basically putting new felt on old moldings. This sounds like the most appropriate course for a that had very light hammers to begin with.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
L
lluiscl Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks a lot for your inputs. Yes, I agree Abel makes a good refelt work. My intention is to change also shanks and flanges (I have a semi-new set from Renner full compatible with the old ones) so new hammers is my choice. If I read correctly Weickert felt (made in Wurzen fabrik) was probably the original felt hammers in the most vintage german pianos (before WWII). I also read marvels about the recent ones (André Oorebeek included). Anyone has tested them? (named "Renner blue point" in USA)

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by lluiscl
Thanks a lot for your inputs. Yes, I agree Abel makes a good refelt work. My intention is to change also shanks and flanges (I have a semi-new set from Renner full compatible with the old ones) so new hammers is my choice. If I read correctly Weickert felt (made in Wurzen fabrik) was probably the original felt hammers in the most vintage german pianos (before WWII). I also read marvels about the recent ones (André Oorebeek included). Anyone has tested them? (named "Renner blue point" in USA)

The felt is only a part of what determines the working characteristic of a set of piano hammers. Starting with Weikert felt a hammermaker can come up with a variety of weights and densities of hammers. Hammers using the same brand of felt can end up producing tone qualities that vary dramatically.

My favorite after-market hammers for pianos like the one you’ve described are made by Ronsen using Weikert felt—For some reason you’ve ruled them out.—but it would be quite easy to produce hammers using Weikert felt that were rock hard and completely unmusical. All that is needed is a lot of compression and heat.

On the other hand it is possible to make quite nice hammers using felt of lesser quality if the hammermaker is careful to control the shape of the felt strip, temperature, pressure, the amount of felt compression, etc. Don’t make your hammer selection based on felt alone; it is certainly important but it is not the only important criteria.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Steve, you echo what I have heard about Ari Isaac's hammers, years down the line, the hammers are still able to produce a great sound.

I am surprised that more techs are not using his hammers.

Recently, Ari Isaac was at my home to voice his Classical West hammers. I had invited any local PTG techs to come hear my 1927 M&H BB after Ari was finished voicing and tuning. Two techs were able to make it on short notice. One of them was starting a Steinway B rebuild. After hearing my piano, they asked Ari for a few samples, which he sent. They then ordered a full set for this Steinway. The end result now is that the tech is totally happy with the sound of the Steinway, adjectives they used to describe the sound, "amazing", "fabulous". The other tech was very impressed with the hammers.

I am extremely happy with his hammers, and his bass strings for that matter. The tone I have now is just fantastic.

It might be worth it to see if he can help you with your project.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission