Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1989892 - 11/22/12 07:12 PM Recommendation for Mason & Hamlin piano tech in Las Vegas?
Heymjo Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Hi. I have a possibility of purchasing a 1932 Mason & Hamlin AA in Las Vegas and I need find a tech to evaluate the instrument. Can anyone give me a recommendation?
Also, while I realize inspection is everything, I would like to get some opinions on the value of a 1932 AA. The piano is still in original condition; nothing has been dione to it, except tuning. The owner said her grandmother purchased the piano new in 1932 and it has been in climate controled storage for 50 years. Is there anything I should look out for? What is a piano like this probably worth? I realize the tech will tell me this, but just curious sfor others' opinions. Thanks

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1989913 - 11/22/12 09:07 PM Re: Recommendation for Mason & Hamlin piano tech in Las Vegas? [Re: Heymjo]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
There are one or two Las Vegas techs who post here. As well, there is a thread in the Tuner/Technician FAQ Forum called "How to find a good technician". Lots of good information there.

Regardless of what a tech might say, my recommendation is that if the price is over $1000.- you should look at it, hear it and play it yourself. The tech may not find technical faults with it, but how do you know that you will like the piano based on that?

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1989956 - 11/23/12 01:21 AM Re: Recommendation for Mason & Hamlin piano tech in Las Vegas? [Re: Heymjo]
David, Las Vegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
Mike,
I offer survey services in the Las Vegas area and can help you. I have serviced pianos in the area since 1997 and can tell how the Las Vegas climate has or has not affected cabinet and tone producing components. If you have any questions perhaps you can contact me privately.

David Chadwick RPT
chadwick61@cox.net
1931 Mason Hamlin AA

#1990163 - 11/23/12 09:44 PM Re: Recommendation for Mason & Hamlin piano tech in Las Vegas? [Re: David, Las Vegas]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
Dear David,

Gee, you are being humble, sir. Just for the record; David has served as President of the Las Vegas PTG Chapter for a while. He is a top-notch technician who services pianos for many of the shows in Las Vegas (...I remember a post about tuning for Elton a while back), and took care of the Liberace Museum instruments before the unfortunate closing of that facility.

Whether you prefer to use David's services or not...he knows everyone in the City of Lights and can help you find the right person for your piano needs.

Patting David on the back,
I am,
Remembering Elvis walking into the room,
Ah!

#1990191 - 11/24/12 12:59 AM Re: Recommendation for Mason & Hamlin piano tech in Las Vegas? [Re: TunerJeff]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Dear Mike,

I do not know David, nor have I ever met him. However~~ forthright, straight-ahead posts such as his hardly ever come around in the Tuner/Tech forum on PW. If I were you, I'd call him first thing in the morning, if not tonight, based on Jeff's recommendation and David's own immediate readiness to help in time of need (at first, I thought it was chutzpah, but then, thought about what it meant to put a reputation on the line like that...)

Patting TunerJeff on the back,
and David, too,
I am,
Someone who knows someone in Phoenix with a Mason & Hamlin,
whom David has never seen.

#1990293 - 11/24/12 11:42 AM Re: Recommendation for Mason & Hamlin piano tech in Las Vegas? [Re: Heymjo]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
I will add my recommendation to the mix. You will be in good hands with David Chadwick.
www.pianova.net

#1990357 - 11/24/12 02:56 PM Re: Recommendation for Mason & Hamlin piano tech in Las Vegas? [Re: Heymjo]
David, Las Vegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
Gosh,
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I will usually take a friendly and approachable posture regarding my service. I learn new and useful information everyday about my job and the folks I meet. I'll never know it all. Sometimes i'm even a little greedy when hearing about a new tool use or smart repair techniques. It alway nice to be recognized by other technicians in our community. Thanks to you all.

Mike,
I'm surveying the piano today (Sat.) at 4:00 and I'll organize the information, from frantic scribbling to readable text, and contact you for the next step. I'll enjoy crawling through another early Mason and find it's story a telling one I'm sure
1931 Mason Hamlin AA

#1990381 - 11/24/12 03:58 PM Re: Recommendation for Mason & Hamlin piano tech in Las Vegas? [Re: rysowers]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: rysowers
I will add my recommendation to the mix. You will be in good hands with David Chadwick.

As do I. David did some work for Young Chang at the PTG Annual Convention a couple of years back. Very nicely done. (And that's saying quite a lot considering the noise and commotion going on around you at these things while you're trying to work.)

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (a-z0-9, accordeur, 36251, 44 invisible), 1674 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75495 Members
42 Forums
156109 Topics
2292451 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
07/23/14 09:12 PM
Just Tried Brand New Mason and Hamlins....
by Paul678
07/23/14 09:10 PM
Broken Butt Plate - Replacement part?
by musicNow
07/23/14 08:24 PM
Liszt's letters to Jessie Laussot
by Michael Sayers
07/23/14 07:59 PM
Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig?
by Tony Romo
07/23/14 07:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission