Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1990006 - 11/23/12 08:19 AM Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I am wondering if using the Kawai CA95 DP as a midi controller for Pianoteq software and then channeling the generated sound back through the CA95 speaker system / soundboard will result in the soundboard playing a role in the sound the listener is hearing.

Any thoughts on this ?

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1990084 - 11/23/12 02:47 PM Re: Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq [Re: dmd]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I recall we had this discussion (about the CA93). IIRC the transducer that vibrates the soundboard does so for anything that comes out of the speakers. If that is correct, then it should play a role if you are piping VST sounds back in. Yes.

#1990089 - 11/23/12 03:23 PM Re: Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq [Re: gvfarns]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
I recall we had this discussion (about the CA93). IIRC the transducer that vibrates the soundboard does so for anything that comes out of the speakers. If that is correct, then it should play a role if you are piping VST sounds back in. Yes.

Well, I guess my memory is failing ...LOL ...

But, ok ... thanks

I am not actually doing this. I saw this question posted on another forum and I thought I would check here to see what info I can pick up.

I actually thought the soundboard would not vibrate but, of course, I really have no idea how a soundboard works.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1990103 - 11/23/12 04:37 PM Re: Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq [Re: dmd]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
A very interesting question generally, to what degree the soundboard had to be "engineered" and tuned to a given set of instruments sound or it is just a careful selected piece of wood and not very sensitive, nothing specific to the instruments.

What sounds are produced when tuning the instrument to another pitch than 440Hz, how it behaves with completely other instruments as harpsichords or even organs, etc.

Are there any excessive resonances or it behaves neutral over a broad spectrum?

Experiences? (Previous discussion about CA93 soundboard an Pianoteq )
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs

#1990121 - 11/23/12 06:06 PM Re: Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq [Re: dmd]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Edit: it works. For best results over the speaker system you could do this:

get a good measuring microphone , a source that can play test noise burst and an analyzer that can analyze the outcome of the noise played through the speaker/ soundboard system of the piano. Afterwards a match EQ can compensate for the filter curve that will have shown up (original source compared to the measured sound through the system). Of course you have to level the signal first before comparisson (both equally loud at a chosen reference frequency).

With an carefully adjusted EQ in between when playing over the speakers, you get a sound that best matches the potential of the instruments amp/speaker/acoustical characteristics.

Edited by JFP (11/24/12 09:05 AM)

#1990140 - 11/23/12 07:55 PM Re: Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq [Re: dmd]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: dmd
I am wondering if using the Kawai CA95 DP as a midi controller for Pianoteq software and then channeling the generated sound back through the CA95 speaker system / soundboard will result in the soundboard playing a role in the sound the listener is hearing.

Yes, this is very easily achieved. Just connect the output from your computer to the LINE IN jacks on the CA95 and the sound will be routed through the speakers and soundboard.

Note that the CA95's improved soundboard has a broader frequency range than that of the previous generation CA93.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1990211 - 11/24/12 04:03 AM Re: Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq [Re: dmd]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@james, do you imply that the ca series do indeed have a (speaker/ cabinet) correction EQ for the audio input as well and not only for the internal sound engine, like on the ES7 ? Or do you need to have some EQ to get the sound properly out of the system as well with the ca ?

#1990242 - 11/24/12 08:39 AM Re: Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq [Re: dmd]
8000 Post Club Member

JFP, Don asked if the Pianoteq sound from his computer could be routed into the CA95's amplifier and output through the instrument's soundboard speaker, and I confirmed that this is indeed possible.

As far as I'm concerned, his question has been answered.

Cheers,
James
x

#1990250 - 11/24/12 08:53 AM Re: Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq [Re: dmd]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Misunderstanding here: I absolutely don't mean there is something wrong with the input.

I mean that the signal you put into the piano is not corrected for the speaker / amplification system , like the sounds from the internal sound engine that pass a filter section when played over the speakers to correct for acoustical / physical 'bending' of the frequency curve.

That the input is uncorrected is best practice, because in that way it's fine when heard over headphones and over the audio outputs. Only for playing over the speakers it would be nice to be able to add an EQ in between (usually SW plugin) to adjust for the frequency characteristics of the playback system - speakers, cabinet, acoustics.

The method I described is one way to get such an EQ curve. Kawai has the curve that has been put into the piano rom for the digital EQ between sound engine and speaker system. Unfortunately that's not public, cause it would save the hassle of the do it yourself method.

So no criticism on the Kawai audio setup, just an additional consideration for people who want to use the audio input for playing SW instruments. I think this counts for all DP's with audio input that goes straight in the amp/speaker system, like Casio, Roland etc.

Edited by JFP (11/24/12 09:14 AM)

#1990263 - 11/24/12 09:24 AM Re: Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq [Re: JFP]
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JFP
I absolutely don't mean there is something wrong with the input.

Ah, that's good to know.

For a moment there I thought you were trying to draw attention to an issue that does not exist.

Cheers,
James
x

#1990591 - 11/25/12 05:50 AM Re: Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq [Re: dmd]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
Hi, James,

I think JFP's basic question remains unanswered: is there in CA95 a built in EQ correction just for amplifying analog input to be output through the speaker system or not. (Ideally it should be).
Quote:
That the input is uncorrected is best practice, because in that way it's fine when heard over headphones and over the audio outputs. Only for playing over the speakers it would be nice to be able to add an EQ in between (usually SW plugin) to adjust for the frequency characteristics of the playback system - speakers, cabinet, acoustics.
For mixing/layering, output through headphones and rendering to produce WAV/MP3 the DP should use the unprocessed signal, only for the output of the already mixed analog signal should be corrected before amplified.

The whole measuring procedure described by JFP would include only completely unspecific components (Noise, Mics, Measurement tools), the results apply to all audio input signals, so users should be spared from having this unnecessary hassle.

Information from Kawai would be welcome for all CA95 users and would be users: Is there a possibility/need for optimising audio output through CA95 speaker system or all needed corrections are built in already. (When not yet there, would it be possible to get a future parameter update to have this?)

Thx. Attila

#2138143 - 08/24/13 08:23 AM Re: Kawai CA95 running Pianoteq [Re: dmd]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Did anybody ever find out about the presence or absence of correction EQ for the audio input (when played over speakers) ? Ca-95/ cs10 are the only models that have an AD converter for the audio input, so the external audio is added to the digital signal path at some stage in the chain. In theory it could therefore pass the digital correction EQ as well, but if it does remains a top secret. Kawai refuses to answer that question , so perhaps any CA-95 owner can chime in and post their experience .

It's easy to test. Put a good recording in WAV format on a USB stick and play it through the speakers system . Have the same recording on an external device like an MP3 player an route that through the audio input. Level the two audio examples , so they play equally loud and do an A/B comparisson.

If the audio quality is the same, the audio-in does indeed pass some EQ before entering the speaker system. If it sounds quite different and probably not so good, it is played back straight through (uncorrected).

Sorry, I don't have a CA95 at my disposal to try for myself...

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (adultpianist, Atrys, AZNpiano, alberto, Akshay, 14 invisible), 1144 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250092 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
04/17/14 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
04/17/14 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
04/17/14 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
04/17/14 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission