Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1990145 - 11/23/12 08:33 PM Casio CDP 120 (key slightly elevated)
Kozar927 Offline

Hi everyone. I am new to both these forums and to the wonderful instrument piano. I'm a beginner so I bought the Casio CDP-120 because I got it for $250 USD at guitar center on black Friday. I was super excited about this deal even tho its probably a sub par instrument. To get to the point their are a few keys on the keyboard that seem to be very slightly elevated from the other keys. When I say slightly i mean really slightly. I only noticed it because im such a perfectionist about my stuff that I see things like this. My questions are

1) is this normal?
2) does it have any effect on anything what so ever.
3) is this a common thing to find

Like I said total beginner here so I have no idea what minor flaws are within the realm of normalcy and don't effect anything.

a few questions as a side note.

Is this a decent digital piano at all? I'm a beginner to piano but not to music at all or playing it (I play guitar and violin). I have always loved the beauty a piano can produce and I would love to know I will be able to produce it with this machine.

also I know a few basic classical songs by J.S. Bach and one thing I noticed as its very "Start and stoppy" like my notes don't blend together well even though my speed seems to be correct and im not looking around for keys or anything. Is this a product of digital machines or is this my lack of fluidity with the instrument and how can I get batter at this aspect of it.

Thanks a million for your time.

Btw im am and will always be 100% self taught. I did it with my other instruments and I play very well so I don't plan on going down the road of lessons. Is their a good place for me to go to get some basic beginners understanding of how the instrument should be played.

Edited by Kozar927 (11/23/12 08:39 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1990146 - 11/23/12 08:45 PM Re: Casio CDP 120 (key slightly elevated) [Re: Kozar927]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
A few keys being slightly elevated isn't anything to worry about as long as the keys function and sound OK. The CDP-120 is the cheapest digital piano you can buy. Considering the price point it is reasonably good. You can connect it to a computer and use it as a midi controller to play software instruments which a lot of people do. These are much better than the onboard sounds on nearly all digital pianos. If you are bothered by the keys that are slightly elevated, take it back and exchange it. Otherwise enjoy your new piano.

#1990148 - 11/23/12 08:49 PM Re: Casio CDP 120 (key slightly elevated) [Re: Kozar927]
Kozar927 Offline

Im not that concerned as its barley noticeable as long as it isn't a sign of something wrong with the instrument. I don't plan on playing it through a pc. Just wanna use it as a piano

Edited by Kozar927 (11/23/12 08:50 PM)

#1990212 - 11/24/12 04:05 AM Re: Casio CDP 120 (key slightly elevated) [Re: Kozar927]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
It's a budget entry level board that is good value. It's OK for a beginner to work with. As long as all keys work fine, no extraneous clicks, soft through loud it should be OK. Take a look over on the ABF to see how other self learners are learning.

#1990214 - 11/24/12 04:27 AM Re: Casio CDP 120 (key slightly elevated) [Re: Kozar927]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
I have the 200R, which is the same but wih more bells and whistles.

Its an OK DP.

You have to remember it is the person playing it not the machine which is the important part. The guy in the shop I bought it from make it sing sweetly. I can make it sing sweetly up to a point. I think it will take me quite some time to hit its limitations.

So be happy with it, practice and enjoy!

#1990221 - 11/24/12 06:03 AM Re: Casio CDP 120 (key slightly elevated) [Re: Kozar927]
Mark NM Offline

As others have said, as long as it doesn't produce strange clicks or unusual mechanical noises, the piano should be perfectly ok. As far as I know, it isn't a typical prediction of any failure, but if those keys really bother you I would exchange it. You got a great price, now enjoy your new instrument!

#1990308 - 11/24/12 12:36 PM Re: Casio CDP 120 (key slightly elevated) [Re: Mark NM]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have one spot on my 350 all the way at the end that is raised a little- I did return one that already had uneven spacing. Since everything else is great I am going to stick with it. I have come to the realization, and from feedback of others that many of these pianos might not be 100% perfect,

Can you post any pictures of the piano?
I did try it out and was impressed by the price. (I ended up getting a PX130 instead months ago) You should be proud of your purchase, especially at $250. Enjoy it, it is a nice sounding unit.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
09/19/14 07:08 PM
Who's Online
46 registered (Colin Thomson, Beemer, casinitaly, cmoody31, alfredo capurso, 6 invisible), 871 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157637 Topics
2315440 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission