2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Glad to know you're enjoying your CP50, johannus. We've had few actual owners commenting on that particular model, and it would be nice to hear your thoughts as you become more used to it. Meanwhile, good luck with your studies!

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by johannus
I'm a music major and find that practicing on my CP-50 is better than 95% of the pianos offered in the practice rooms (which are mostly well regulated Yamahas, Kawais, and Steinways).

Huh? Seriously? How could a "music major" find practicing on a CP50 better than most of well regulated respectable acoustics? This truly makes no sense to me.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
I'm a music major and find that practicing on my CP-50 is better than 95% of the pianos offered in the practice rooms (which are mostly well regulated Yamahas, Kawais, and Steinways).

Huh? Seriously? How could a "music major" find practicing on a CP50 better than most of well regulated respectable acoustics? This truly makes no sense to me.

The only answer could be that the practice pianos aren't so well regulated. Unless the reason is that this poster prefers easy actions - certainly wouldn't prepare you as well for performing on a grand.

BTW, most practice pianos I used at conservatories were anything but well regulated - they were thrashed out pianos with sloppy actions and compressed hammers.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music

I for one am constantly irritated by out of tune pianos. I've played pianos with an excellent action but when that same piano is out of tune, it just takes all the fun out of it.

If I have to choose on playing a job on an out of tune acoustic piano or a perfectly in tune digital, I'll go for the perfectly in tune digital. Everything's a trade off and everyone has different standards.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ando
Unless the reason is that this poster prefers easy actions - certainly wouldn't prepare you as well for performing on a grand.

CP50 is not an easy action.

P
P
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Everything's a trade off and everyone has different standards.

Except he said the school has well regulated Steinways.

If they really are, then get thee hence into a room with a $50k real thing and forget the $1500 simulator.

Mychal

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by ando
Unless the reason is that this poster prefers easy actions - certainly wouldn't prepare you as well for performing on a grand.

CP50 is not an easy action.

Well if that's true, there no sense whatsoever in that post!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott
. That's why I was wondering what the source was for Dr Popper's assertion.

Sometimes I just know trivial stuff like that ....I might come across it in my meanderings here and there.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
J
J
There are about 50 pianos in the practice rooms. I don't have access to the five grand pianos (except for when I'm taking lessons from my teacher) and two of them aren't very good at all. The other three are great to play on, and if I were able to play them at all times I wouldn't really need a digital. The uprights are mostly in good condition as far as intonation but the actions vary a lot even among pianos of the same model. There are a few uprights that are more than sufficient for practicing on, but for the rest I found that I would practice on them and struggle to make dynamic contrasts and voicing until I played my lesson on a grand. I also think the action on my digital is closer to the good grands than the action of the uprights. Combine this with the convenience of being able to practice virtually whenever and I'm extremely satisfied.

I began lessons in December of 2009 to avoid taking class piano in college, and ended up falling in love with the instrument. Current Repertoire: Chopin: Nocturne in C minor, Nocturne in F minor, Polonaise in A Major Bach: Prelude and Fugue in C minor Beethoven: Allegro from Sonata 1 in F minor
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peakly
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Everything's a trade off and everyone has different standards.

Except he said the school has well regulated Steinways.

If they really are, then get thee hence into a room with a $50k real thing and forget the $1500 simulator.

Mychal

... yea, but a well regulated piano that is out of tune would drive me crazy, thus my ... everything's a trade off and everyone has different standards remark.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
J
J
There are only two and while one is outstanding the other is one of the grands that are relatively poor and to me is frustrating to practice on (really poor action even in comparison to the average uprights). It's mostly Kawai and Yamaha uprights which most are okay, a couple are good, but there are a decent amount that are extremely frustrating to practice on.

I began lessons in December of 2009 to avoid taking class piano in college, and ended up falling in love with the instrument. Current Repertoire: Chopin: Nocturne in C minor, Nocturne in F minor, Polonaise in A Major Bach: Prelude and Fugue in C minor Beethoven: Allegro from Sonata 1 in F minor
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
There are about 50 pianos in the practice rooms. I don't have access to the five grand pianos (except for when I'm taking lessons from my teacher) and two of them aren't very good at all. The other three are great to play on, and if I were able to play them at all times I wouldn't really need a digital. The uprights are mostly in good condition as far as intonation but the actions vary a lot even among pianos of the same model. There are a few uprights that are more than sufficient for practicing on, but for the rest I found that I would practice on them and struggle to make dynamic contrasts and voicing until I played my lesson on a grand. I also think the action on my digital is closer to the good grands than the action of the uprights. Combine this with the convenience of being able to practice virtually whenever and I'm extremely satisfied.

So in other words, you don't have access to many well regulated or tuned pianos at all...

A quality grand will absolutely smoke your digital. A decent upright has a much higher dynamic range than a Yamaha digital. You are comparing poorly maintained pianos with your digital. The comparison is meaningless as far as I'm concerned.

Lighten up guys - your replies are not coming over particularly friendly manner. I am sure the CP5 is a fine instrument to practice on. Quite often college pianos have a pretty hard life. Also when they are tuned all the pianos are done over a relatively short period of time by a grossly underpaid and overworked piano tuner. As a result possibly not much time is spent on each piano with only the top ones being tuned carefully.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by funkycornwall
Lighten up guys - your replies are not coming over particularly friendly manner. I am sure the CP5 is a fine instrument to practice on. Quite often college pianos have a pretty hard life. Also when they are tuned all the pianos are done over a relatively short period of time by a grossly underpaid and overworked piano tuner. As a result possibly not much time is spent on each piano with only the top ones being tuned carefully.

Which is why they shouldn't have been described as "mostly well regulated Yamahas, Kawais, and Steinways". If he had described them as "mostly worn and poorly maintained and tuned practice pianos", then it would make perfect sense to prefer a quality digital for practising. I know what practice room pianos are like - they aren't "well" anything!

A
A
Well … actually I'm still pretty happy with my CP5. A few points match my personal experiences as follows:

- Acoustic pianos – for my jazz work they work very well. I liked them better than the competitors, and their ability to blend with the ensemble makes my work a lot easier. With the CP5 I have little to worry in terms of my sound. What seems absolutely far out to me, though, is that they didn't include the last bit of detail, like true sympathetic resonance, pedal noises and so on. I'm sure Yamaha does have the knowledge. I also don't understand why they left out upright sounds or a Bosendorfer - heck, they even own the company!

- User interface - actually I think it's not so bad. I seriously think it's logical and well thought through, however, it needs a little effort to understand it. Insofar I can absolutely understand people losing their interest.

- Size and weight - the CP5 is too heavy and pretty bulky without a good reason. Still, I think it is easier to grab than the RD700. The CP50 seems alright to me.

Best

Andreas
P
P
I would love to have a Cp1, I love the action, but at $5k it makes no sense. The depreciation on electronic gear is too steep.
So, I drag my 20 imac to the gig and use Ivory and Lounge lizard plugins. At least the plugins are upgradable and the sounds are as good (Wurlitzer on Lounge lizard is better for sure) than the CP1. The down side is that there are a lot of variables that could go wrong getting the sound from the computer to out the speaker. (Like forgetting the dongle at home frown )
I think manufacturers are going to have to step up their game, bring down the cost and make the gear upgradeable or software is going to knock them out of the game completely.

Last edited by Pete the bean; 11/27/12 03:13 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The one time I A/B ed the CP5 & 1 at Yamaha HQ, the CP1 was clearly fuller and thicker on the CF Grand & Rhodes. Now whether that fullness would be apparent in a live situation with bass and drums, I'd question that. More noticeable for solo playing and probably on a recording.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by funkycornwall
Lighten up guys - your replies are not coming over particularly friendly manner.

Actually, a post starting like this doesn't seem particularly friendly!

P
P
It's mostly Kawai and Yamaha uprights which most are okay, a couple are good, but there are a decent amount that are extremely frustrating to practice on.

I've been there. It was pretty much like that at the college I went to in Texas, and at another college in Oregon where I used to sneak into the practice rooms : )

That's cool that your digital keyboard is helping you learn to play. I've played a lot of different keyboards besides pianos, including some great pipe organs. Open one of those up, pull the stops out, and that is an experience you won't get from a piano or a digital keyboard!

Mychal

J
J
I guess I should have specified that I meant most of them are pretty well regulated, not that there are many extremely well regulated pianos. I could see where someone would misinterpret that.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission