2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 204 of 540 1 2 202 203 204 205 206 539 540
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Wow so many achievements and I do smell new pianos! Congratulations to everyone.

Not an achievement yet but I get to play in my church in April. Will do Bach and Brahms. My music director is putting together a little concert. I also get to take organ lessons from her soon. She just earned doctorate in organ performance. My church is planning to build a pipeorgan soon - so I may have opportunity to play in my church as well.

I have a new piece assigned to me. My teacher decided to let me do another pretty piece like Brahms Intermezzo. Since I declared to her that I'm not doing big & hefty pieces, she asked me how about Chopin nocturn Op 27 #2. It's only 6 pages, said she. Initally I had problem with making myself play another piece everyone knows - you see, when I make mistakes, it is obvious to everyone. I have NEVER played without errors. She hears none of my complaints. So I just slowly read the piece and actually fell in love with it. This not an achievement either.

Oh I started working on my Mendelssohn piece. Not so bad, given that this is the shortest piece there (lol). I am trying to put this one in shape this week. I played this piece 20 years ago. It is significantly easier now. I remember struggling to make the top melody sing at that time. I also had to use alternative fingering then. Now the fingering given by the book works. It's nice to feel like I made some progress.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Farm Girl, we'll be in your area next week (Scottsdale actually) for spring break. We wanted to see the Rockies play spring ball.

Casinitaly, you are SO adept at commenting on each and everyone. Thank you for that dedication and the summary for those of us reading later. I haven't stopped on this thread for a bit and I'm impressed with the accomplishments of everyone. New music, beautiful new pianos, tough challenges, piano teachers, and just perseverance.

My sight reading is improving. I have my teacher give me one every week and she critiques my thinking and my music. My tempo is better, my notes are better and I'm pleased with the progress. I can see that it is helping me learn new music faster. Have any of you played pieces by Melody Bober? I'm playing a suite (3 sections) called Postcards from Iowa. A nice break from classical.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Wisebuff - I PM' d you. Welcome to Scottsdale.

F
F
casinitaly - Granados in new to me too. My teacher studied at the Academia Marshall in Barcelona (which was founded by one of Granados' students), so she has lots of knowledge of Spanish composers. I am slowly chipping away at the Allegro... It's nowhere near speed, but I find it quite a soothing piece, despite the difficulty.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl - I just listened to Chopin Nocturne 27 #2. It is beautiful, and sounds quite challenging! Valentina Lisitsa has a a really nice Youtube of it. Have fun!

Casinitaly - I expect the Arabesque to be the August AFB recital. I am targeting the Nocturne for May. Keep us posted on how your approach the Heller piece works out. Are you planning it for a recital also?

Saranoya - Great work on "Impertinence" for the piano bar. You piano sounds awesome.

I am trying to figure out how to do a good recording of my new piano. The digital was so easy! Just plug it in! I have a new Zoom Q3HD, and I am trying to figure out the best settings. If I get it right I will post something in the Piano Bar soon.

I have had a two steps forward, one step back kind of week. I am still struggling with scales in three's. I have only been doing scales for about 14 months, but I had learned them all and gotten them up to 120, 2per. I ran all the scales in chromatic order everyday. The majors were OK, the minors were still shaky. Then my current teacher wanted me to do them in three's-- down, up, up. The whole house of cards came tumbling down. I could not do it! I had been taught to count them differently by my previous teacher, and I just could not change. I have worked a couple of months on this. I finally figured out that it was number overload for my little brain. Finger numbers, previously learned numbers, and 123's. So I gave up numbers and just said Down, up, up, down, up, up. It worked! I finally was able to get the right motion and sound while still getting the fingering right. I am not back to speed, but at least I can do it correctly. Halleluja! AOTW!

Last edited by SwissMS; 03/18/13 03:44 PM.
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
SwissMS - congratulations on your new piano. Sorry for missing the opportunity to look at the pics with others. I have remember having seen it but could not comment on it as I was really busy for a while. I love 55 - 1. It's beautiful. It's taken by other student. I would've rather done than this one since its in my key! I love f minor pieces and tend to do lots of them. Even the scales. My f minor scale is fairly decent while others may sound like broken logo at times.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl – I think it is great that you’re going to be playing in your Church concert –AND you’re going to learn to play the organ! That is (from all I’ve heard) quite a challenge! I don’t think I’d have the coordination to manage it, but I will be very curious
I just listened to Chopin nocturn Op 27 #2. – it isn’t one of the “most popular” played in the ABF recitals – I’m getting to recognize those. I think it sounds very pretty and you should enjoy it!
Is your Mendelssohn for the “BIG THEME” recital? How satisfying to feel so clear about how well it is going! I’m looking forward to listening to that series.

Wisebuff –thanks for your kind words. I’m a bit jealous that you’ll be in Scottsdale – you and FarmGirl are probably going to hook up and have a blast! Congrats on the improvements in sight reading. It just opens up so many possibilities when you’re good at it (I’ll find out some day !) I’ve never heard of Melody Bober, but I googled her and see that she has an interesting range of materials.

FifiM – I find it interesting that a difficult piece is soothing to play

SwissMS, I’m aiming for the May recital for the Heller piece and for August….well…I’m not sure yet. I’m going to lose my teacher for the summer in late June or early July so it will have to be something I can start with him and finish on my own I guess.
I don’t understand what you mean about doing the scales in threes? Can you explain that please? It was clearly a challenge that you were able to master…but I can’t quite figure out what you were doing!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C,
I don’t understand what you mean about doing the scales in threes? Can you explain that please?

I think SwissMs means playing the scale as triplets. You set your metronome and play three notes to each beat. It is really not much different from playing any other scales. But as SwissMs said, it can mess you up a bit if you are used to counting silently to yourself or thinking about finger numbers.
When I do scales in triplets I just kind of make a little noise with my tongue touching my teeth that beats out the trip-o-let rhythm. The real trick is to keep it all even, as with any scale.

At least that's what I thought she meant.....guess she will tell us if I'm wrong. If so, NEVER MIND grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Jim....

so it would be c-d-e f-g-a- b-c-d and so on ...tricky enough !!!

I've "messed about" trying to play scales with different rhythms, but it generally trips me up.

I don't really count for the fingerings though - EXCEPT - for my Bflat scale. I find starting with different fingers on LH RH has been very hard to coordinate Maybe as I get into the rest of the flats I'll count more...we'll see.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I don’t understand what you mean about doing the scales in threes? Can you explain that please? It was clearly a challenge that you were able to master…but I can’t quite figure out what you were doing!

This was not triplets to the beat, though I have done that to try to get this learned. I really felt learning challenged over this. It is motion and accent that is important. Basically the hands drop on one, and then rise progressively on two - three, then drop again. Trouble is, my hand wants to drop on the tonic and does not want to drop on a black key. When done correctly, it kind of sounds like a waltz. It comes out even in three octaves. My teacher is having me do it to develop a better legato and better color in my playing. She could not believe I was having so much trouble with this - until I told her that I had only been playing scales for only a little over a year.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
SwissMS: ok, now I get it. yikes. I can see that would be tricky --- but perversely, I can't wait to try it out smile

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lol, never mind cry

Ooo,playing in a little three note phrase pattern. Gotta go try that.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Had a really good lesson today and managed to get through telling teacher to drop me from the upcoming recital. She took it better than I had expected `though she seemed disappointed. We worked on the aforementioned back-burnered Canon in D and then Down by The Sally Gardens.

She encouraged me to not let the Canon sit too long. (more than 2 weeks) and she liked the work I have done with the melody line in ...Sally... So much in fact that she played the harmony along with me the second time around.

I had forgotten my music for Glad Cat Rag but played what I had learned of it for her by memory. I was having minor problems with bits of the rhythm. She demonstated the bits I was miscounting. Also since it's very short, we discussed ways to increase the overall length of it. Ragtime's such "happy" music to play. grin

At any rate, I had a lesson that made my day brighter and hopefully her's as well.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Like Ragdoll, I've had a very good lesson today. I did not play (much) worse than when alone, teacher was satisfied. So this is my AOTW.
Regarding the June recital (the one with only one adult, me), I promised my teacher to give her the definitive answer during the next lesson, three long weeks from now (Easter holidays in between). I think I will say yes, several posts in SamS thread on this topic gave me a lot to think about.

SwissSM, I'm going to try your new scales. Do you change your fingering?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by torquenale
SwissMS, I'm going to try your new scales. Do you change your fingering?

Nope, same old standard fingering. That is part of what makes it a challenge!

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
What no achievement for this week? I guess everyone is busy. I have two piano related parties, Olga Kern performance, Saturday piano studio & lesson afterwards and church choir on Sunday. Phew.

As of now I need to get ready to go to the party #1. This is our local symphony's benefit - held in a private home. The main attraction is 2 piano duet performed by the symphony's pianist and the lady of the house. Also we get to hear beautiful songs during the dinner.

I would probably feel like achieved something after I enjoy this very musical weekend:). Next week will be even better - I get to meet with Wisebuff. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by FarmGirl; 03/22/13 07:36 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That sounds fun FarmGirl!

Learner
Originally Posted by Dulcetta

Week One : Can play 5 times correctly on first sitting;
A major scale 4 octaves hands separately, 2 octaves similar and contrary motion.
A, D, E major broken chords , hands together, standard and compound pattern.(ABRSM)
A, D, E major arpeggios, hands together (and not looking at keys , yay! lol) Root, I and II inversions.

Week Two: as above and added D and E major scales.

My reasoning for learning scales first is I am a routine and pattern obsessive, laugh , and scales and arpeggio practice fit perfectly.
Seriously though, as a ten year old, I was handed a theory book and scales to learn, two weeks before grade 5 classical guitar exam. Goodness knows how I passed, but I then knew I had a useless teacher and parents couldn't afford a better one at that time. I have learnt the importance of theory and scales and also think they are a good way to get to know the instrument and improve dexterity. I hope to be in a position where I can have a teacher before I start working on pieces.

It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Ack. It seems I've been falling behind again on keeping up with this thread. But I still get a kick out of reading about everyone's progress. Thanks, guys!

I had a rough week, health-wise. Eleven tonic-clonic seizures, and counting (for the uninitiated: those are the 'fall down kicking, hit your head and various other appendages on the floor over and over, and then wake up bruised and disoriented' kind of seizures). Two of them happened in front of my piano teacher, along with the first cluster of absence seizures she has ever witnessed (or noticed, anyway). Her reaction was something along the lines of "how do you live with this every day ...". I told her that sometimes, I really don't want to. She didn't run away screaming.

So although it has very little, if anything, to do with playing the piano, this is my achievement of the week: that for once, when someone whose opinion I very much care about asked me 'how are you doing with this?', I gave an honest answer -- and the person I talked to chose to stick around anyway. Because of this, I plan to still be going to piano lessons next week, and for many weeks after that. Which, as I've said before, is kind of the mother of all AOTW's.

I also have a small AOTW that's actually piano-related, which is that I finally figured out how to make sixteenth notes come out smoothly and evenly, even when playing really fast (for me).

Originally Posted by UK Paul UK
Started the burgmuller opus 100 number 5... 3 days ago and can play it smoothly all the way through with now working on dynamics....

Way to go! It took me two solid weeks to iron all the kinks out of that piece, and even then, my sixteenths were very uneven. I finally figured out this week how to make them come out smoothly and evenly while playing fast, but it took some doing.

Originally Posted by heathermphotog
Seriously, 1st and 2nd inversions clicked with me today. I don't know why they haven't in the past, but today they did.

Uh ... I would offer my sincerest congratulations, except ... I don't really get what you are talking about. Is it that you didn't understand, before, what first and second inversions are, and now you do?

Oh, what the heck. You get my sincerest congratulations anyway, if for nothing else than finding something to pat yourself on the back about this week. And here's another one: lovely, lovely picture of your daughter at the piano!

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
What a week, my favorite AOTW is finding this lovely redition of DBTSGs. I have found several scores for it and have yet to decide which to attempt, the simpler ones are much too simple.

Lovely is the right word for it, I'd say. Why don't you just try whatever version that is in the YouTube video? It doesn't sound 'too simple' to me. But maybe that's because I am still a n00b wink.

In any case, if you can't find a score that corresponds to the version in the video, but you want to give it a try, just learn it by ear, or transcribe it, or ask someone to transcribe it for you (if you PM me, I can do it!).

Originally Posted by malkin
My AOTW, or more like miracle of the week is that I played one piece better at my lesson than I do normally. What's up with that?

Yay for miracles of the week! I guess you got 'into the zone'. Maybe it has to do with the piece you were playing? Is it something that comes especially easily to you, or that resonates more than other things on an emotional level?

Originally Posted by Dulcetta
My plan is to do D major scale this week, E major the following and a week to consolidate after that. I chose to practise A, D and E major chords together as finger stretch and pattern is the same.

Huh. I've never met a beginner who seemed more excited about practicing chords and scales than you do. If it floats your boat, though, good for you! And congratulations on getting back into the saddle.

Originally Posted by Fordsnack
After having a mild bout of tendinitis and having what turned into the cold of the century I took my grade 8 exam and it was the best exam I've ever taken.

Well ... I think 'achievement of the week' might be a bit of a misnomer here. How about 'achievement of the month'? Or year, even. Well done!

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
At Songmakers I do three pieces.

Not gonna quote your whole thing, because it's long and winding, but thank you, first of all, for posting such a detailed account of your progress each and every week, Sand Tiger! It makes me feel like I am really looking over your shoulder as you progress on your piano journey, and because you report the good as well as the bad (but never in a despairing tone), it gives me (and others, I think) a real sense that we are not the only ones moving along this path with lots of ups and downs and bumps and stumbles. Your Songmakers group sounds delightful, and could perhaps be a viable alternative to performing in a live (children's) recital for some of the other people here who don't seem to like that kind of formal setting. Also, major cool points for writing and performing your own original music!

Originally Posted by fifi m
I made myself sit down and spend a few hours' work through a particularly grim page of Granados' Allegro de Concierto that I've been avoiding.

Congratulations on the end of the avoidance period smile.

Originally Posted by warlock214
Played the Hungarian Dance pretty good! Now working on Beethoven's Shepard's Song. I just played it twice, hitting all correct notes. Now I have to play it peacefully and with the pedal. I have to get it by Thursday's lesson.

And? Did you get it by Thursday's lesson? I'd like to hear you play it!

Originally Posted by casinitaly
I have to say I was a bit cross to see that my score doesn’t show any indication of trills and I wonder why?

I don't know. My source was a Carl Fischer book (Classics, Romantics & Moderns -- Solos for the Intermediate Pianist), compiled and edited by Paul Sheftel. The 'edited' implies that maybe the trills weren't on the original score. But I tried to find the original score on the IMSLP, and it isn't there.

I like the trills, but they were a challenge for me too, at first. I don't have a D/Eflat trill in my score, though. There's one on a C in measure 7 (down from D, and then down to B flat), and then one on an A in the second-to-last measure (down from B flat and down to G). The first one was especially awkward in the beginning, because for me the most natural way to take it seemed to always come down to 4 on D and 3 on C -- and I can tell you from experience now, there's nothing easy or convenient about doing a trill with 3 and 4, especially when you've never done trills before. Now, I just make sure I get the D at the end of measure six with my third finger, and then it's relatively easy.

Originally Posted by FarmGirl
It's nice to feel like I made some progress.

Yeah. I can imagine. Good for you! Have fun at the party, by the way!

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
My sight reading is improving.

That's awesome!

Originally Posted by SwissMS
It worked! I finally was able to get the right motion and sound while still getting the fingering right. I am not back to speed, but at least I can do it correctly. Halleluja! AOTW!

Nice! You inspired me to try to play scales in threes (well, actually scale, singular, since I can really only do C major), and I had some fun with that. Thanks!

Originally Posted by torquenale
Teacher was satisfied.

It does feel like a major achievement when that happens, doesn't it? Enjoy the feeling before it goes away again! wink

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I do not usually write in this thread but if there was one thing that amazed me was the Einaudi concert in Lisbon, yesterday. Do not miss it. It's fabulous.

PS: I often read your stories here, and I apologize for not participating in this thread (I've tried!), but there are so many interesting subjects that I can not follow them all decently.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Page 204 of 540 1 2 202 203 204 205 206 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission