Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1990550 - 11/25/12 01:33 AM Please advise: Bet Yahama GB1K, Kawai K5 and Kawai GM12
hkginger Offline

Hi, we are looking to buy a NEW professional upright piano or a baby grand piano for 6 year old daughter who is playing at Level/Grade 5. Our budget is really around 9,000. We want to focus on a couple of popular and easily accessible brands like Yahama and Kawai, because my daughter has played on Yahama grand and Kawai upright at piano competitions. Today, I brought my daughter to try out a brand new Ebony Yamaha GB1K baby grand at a dealer in NJ, she likes the sound and the touch. It is priced at $9,990 with some room of negotiation. I am a bit disappointed by absence of underfelted hammer on this GB1K (I understand it is a entry level grand) although we like the sound of it ! My daughter didn't like the touch of U1 and U3. I was told that Yahama GB1K is assembled in Indonesia and parts are from Japan.
Now here comes the Kawai K-5 upright and GM12K, I want to know if they are better made than Yahama GB1K? Is the millennium III Action really a plus ? Are these they made from Japan factory? I know my daughter still have to try both to see if she like the touch and sound of these two Kawai. But are these two models better made than Yahama GB1K? Can anyone give me a bit of the comparison of these three pianos based on "inside" of the piano? Any opinions and advice you have will be greatly appreciated. I know nothing of pianos, just try to read as much as I can:((

Thanks.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1990573 - 11/25/12 03:59 AM Re: Please advise: Bet Yahama GB1K, Kawai K5 and Kawai GM12 [Re: hkginger]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
No 6-year-old needs a grand piano, not even one playing at level 5. Your daughter may need a grand piano in 5 or 6 years, but if she did, a GB1K or GM12 would certainly not be good enough. So those pianos are unnecessary now and inadequate later. Get an upright, and save your money for a much better piano down the road. Pianos are easy to buy and difficult to sell. You don't want to be stuck with a small grand piano that you end up losing thousands in a few years when you need to upgrade.

Another angle is to ask yourself if your daughter quits, would you rather have a small grand piano or an upright that only serves as decoration in the house, and is the small grand worth several thousands more for that purpose. If she doesn't quit, you and she would invariably want something better.

#1990625 - 11/25/12 08:49 AM Re: Please advise: Bet Yahama GB1K, Kawai K5 and Kawai GM12 [Re: 4evrBeginR]
hkginger Offline

Thank you for your advice smirk

#1990747 - 11/25/12 03:46 PM Re: Please advise: Bet Yahama GB1K, Kawai K5 and Kawai GM12 [Re: hkginger]
RX2Bunny Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hi hkginger - I have a K5 myself and absolutely love it. I went through the debate on upright vs. baby grand vs. small grand. I quickly ruled out baby grand because I have read from many people (piano technicians) that it's just a nice piece of furniture. they called it "picture frame piano" (i.e. for display). despite what they said, I played them myself and I didn't like the sound and action of it. I thought the sound is thin and doesn't have the volume I wanted.

I agreed with 4evrBeginR's point. Go with a nice and professional upright and get a grand when she's ready for it. I tried U1 and it's not for me. I was going for K3 but after i tried K5, I just fell in love with the sound and the volume of it. it's so big and powerful. the touch and action were excellent to me. i felt like my fingers were able to fly on the keyboard. I am usually the kind of shopper that i like to sleep on the decision if it's a big purchase. however, i pulled the trigger on the same evening I put my hands on my K5.

I absolutely love my piano but there's one thing that does bother me - the piano "desk". I realize sometimes my fingers would jsut hit it when i try to play bigger sound or faster action. There'd be my only complaint and only excuse to upgrade to a grand down the road smile

#1990750 - 11/25/12 03:50 PM Re: Please advise: Bet Yahama GB1K, Kawai K5 and Kawai GM12 [Re: hkginger]
RX2Bunny Offline

Loc: Chicago
one more thing - i heard Kawai uusally has end of year sales. so make sure you're getting (or at least try to) a good price on the Kawai!

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me too.

#1990766 - 11/25/12 04:55 PM Re: Please advise: Bet Yahama GB1K, Kawai K5 and Kawai GM12 [Re: hkginger]
J_D Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
I evaluated the GB1K and didn't like it. I would either go with a better grand or a better built/sounding upright.

#1990828 - 11/25/12 09:23 PM Re: Please advise: Bet Yahama GB1K, Kawai K5 and Kawai GM12 [Re: J_D]
hkginger Offline

Thank you RileyBunny and J_D. I really appreciate your advice. I will bring my daughter to try out Kawai K5 and other Kawai models this Saturday.

Edited by hkginger (11/25/12 09:23 PM)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piece ID
by IstvánE
09/21/14 10:14 PM
Pre purchase inspection
by mellie62
09/21/14 10:00 PM
Do Parents want to hear the truth anymore?
by chasingrainbows
09/21/14 09:28 PM
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
09/21/14 07:49 PM
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
09/21/14 07:47 PM
Who's Online
126 registered (aesop, a-z0-9, anotherscott, 36251, 48 invisible), 1233 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157681 Topics
2316044 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission