2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks all for the comments. Sam S - I looked up the Ethel Merman/Tyrone Power arrangement and it was a treat! I like the Andrews Sisters, too.

As for how I can play the leaps, Peyton. Sigh. It's been a haul laugh I started in 2005 with Tuxedo Junction, Black & White Rag, and Angeline the Baker, and here I am. I'm sort of at a nice moderato tempo, and I still can't do most of it on the fly at a brisk dance tempo, I have to practice a particular piece with a particular pattern in the bass. On the other hand, the fact that it's been 7 years that I've been working on it almost never occurs to me, so I'm happy!

windywindy - I laughed at the second verse, too - I've never heard it sung, tho. But the lyrics from some songs around that time are really clever, and I get a kick out of them.

Thanks again.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well, here's a recording with the second verse smile It must be one of the earliest ones. (Ah, the Library of Congress National Jukebox has it recorded on May 23, 1911. Yup. An early one.)

One of the things I like about old movies/recordings is that the regional accents are still there. The Andrews Sisters recording, from WWII, has accents. The Ethel Merman/Tyrone Power does. This one does. It seems like our accents are leveling out these days, so that we sound much more alike. Not entirely, I'll admit - I can still hear the Okie in me when I listen to my answering machine recording - but nothing like these.

Cathy

Last edited by jotur; 11/20/12 01:51 AM. Reason: Nat'l Jukebox info
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Oh dear, I shouldn't have started laugh

Here's a version for Monica (snort):

Monica's ARB

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I finally got some time to start listening....I'm so impressed with all of you.

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover Beautiful, Carlos! You built on the original melody with an extremely musical ear. I really enjoyed how you made this your own - you added interest to the entire theme of the piece. You should write this out if you haven't done so already. Bravo!

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand Wonderfully played, especially for only 5 months! A nice feeling comes through your playing. Obviously, you love this piece. Very nice dynamics, too.

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772) Great concentration in this recording! smile And, extremely well played. Many times the inventions can come across as a little dry, but you have made this musical. Both voices are clear and concise, and nice trills, too. A "real" recital experience.

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun Wow! Very impressive and impressionistic. The humanness in your composition, (not just because it's music you've made) is so evident in the heartbeat-like left hand. Almost an anthropomorphizing of the heavens. Killer piece! (great video, too - you should be on stage smile )

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses You got me with the first note. Your approach into the piece is flawless, which gave a beautiful flow throughout. Your touch is excellent on this piece, also. Your piano has such a wonderful sound - it seems to add to the piece. Lovely entry!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2
A lovely, romantic performance. Your trills are very well done. Sorry to hear about your storm loss – We had a large willow blow down onto our screen porch but your loss is much more profound. Your Korg sounds fanastic.

47. windywindy - Love Is All Around
What a great selection! I haven’t heard this in years and it immediate brought a smile to my face – I felt like throwing my hat in the air.

48. Teodor - Tereza's Inspiration (Original Piece)
This is a lovely melody but more dark and brooding than I was expecting. Love the finish.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
50. Bessel - The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman
This is one I’m familiar with – I like the jaunty tempo and octaves on the melody line of Happy Farmer. Well done.

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley.
This is one of my favorites from the recital. Love the contrast between the two pieces – you really rock out on Santa Claus Is Coming to Town - very cool chord choices.

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri
This is quite an excellent production. Love the layered sounds. Amen.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The Big Q:

Where is Einaudi in this Recital; is this the first without him; and how could this happen?

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 11/20/12 09:49 AM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
The Big Q:

Where is Einaudi in this Recital; is this the first without him; and how could this happen?

The Short A:
Einaudi is hidden in my piece...
thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
First comments:

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand - Only 5 months of experience? Wow, this is good. I can see how much work you put on this.

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772) - I can't resist saying how much I liked the sound of children playing arround... It just shows that you are perfectly apt for playing this type of music in front of everyone. It's not my type of music, but I think you do it very well!

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun - Wow, what an ambience... I think it's wonderful when someone transforms images in music as you do. I can't do it. Congratulations.

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses - Couperin...? I didn't know this piece. Thanks for the explanation about "brise style". You have shown a good domain on this (hard) piece. It's very beautiful.

06. Amaruk - Summer '78 -I like Yann Tiersen and you did an excellent job with this piece. It's on my to-do list. Thanks for bringing this really calm piece to us. Wonderful.

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1 - I did not know Viktor Kosenko. This is a very sophisticated piece and you did a great job. Congrats.

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936) - As you know, I'm not a big fan of Bach, but you did a such wonderfull job with this two Preludes. You do not have fallen into the temptation of playing all the notes in a row without feeling what you're playing, and it seems to me that's hard to do in this type of pieces. Congratulations.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge - Very nice arrangement! I love the flow you put on this. Real good!

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1 - I always like to hear this piece, and others of Debussy. This is so fresh and well drawn. I love this performance. Very, very good!

More later.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
The Big Q:

The Short A:
thumb

Ah, yes - the transcription ...so he's here even when he's not here (so to speak)... if only in spirit...but, does this count?

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Big Q:

The Short A:
thumb

Ah, yes - the transcription ...so he's here even when he's not here (so to speak)... if only in spirit...but, does this count?

Since the author is unknown but was Einaudi who made the transcription, why not...?

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
30 Jazzwee

There is really nothing like playing with other musicians when it is all coming together. Terrific sound your group is achieving, Jazzwee. Sounds like a lot of fun, indeed. Hope I can do this again some day. Great playing.

31 zrtf90 (Richard)

This is really a gorgeous piece, Richard. At first I did not recognize the composer, Fauré and had to be reminded of the Requiem we did in choir once long ago. So glad you have taken to the bench again after many years absence. The educational value you contribute to PW is tremendous. I have benefited greatly from this and for me at least, PW just would not be the same without it. Glad to know you are also conquering the recording hurdles and look forward to hearing many more recital entries from you to come. Terrific playing of course, as well, as I quite expected it would be smile . Very nicely done.

32 TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner

This is some very fine playing, Dennis. A very pretty piece and excellent recording. It really is a pleasant listen. Glad to see you made it in this recital round. Can we talk you into Mendelssohn? They're not so tough. At least the one I chose (probably the easiest of them all) isn't smile

33 Serge88

Nice arrangement of My Way, Serge. I never get tired of hearing blue eyes standards and this is one of his all time greats. I remember watching the live performance of this when Franky was retiring (for the first time) and my Dad had tears streaming down his face. You bring it all back to me. Nicely done.

34 LizAnne

Looky there, two Canadian entries in a row. Great to see this. I think the dynamics are working very nicely here, LizAnne. This is some very fine playing and a very pretty piece. It does not sound so simple to me. Not sure if it helps, but for me I would always choose a piece I think I am likely to be able to peform well, vs. not likely to ever perform well, or only with more effort then I am willing to invest. A fine performance.

35 MrPozor

Another I had to take a reread of. This is really far beyond what I would expect to be hearing from someone at 7 months of playing. Really great, MrPozor. You are doing very well and look forward to seeing more from you and watching you continue to advance. The piano sounds good to me. In fact, the recording seems to convey what I would call a "Better than Most/mine" real piano sound. Very well done.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
More 5 comments:

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover - Mr SH, I was waiting for this. I love the way you mixed both hands work creating a real "band" environment and, at the same time, supporting the melody along the entire piece. This piece has your signature, not only because you are the author of the cover, but also because I can distinguish your amazing style of playing among tons of pieces. You are a great piannist and your goal was achieved with distinction. Congratulations!

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor - jake, I do not get tired of hearing these little wonders of Chopin. Even more, played by someone with only 10 months experience. That's incredible. Congrats.

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena - I like Joplin but I have not had the courage to play his pieces. I realize how difficult it must be to play this piece, but you did it well. Congrats.

14. ladypayne - Early Winter - Wow, nice rithm. I like more and more of your compositions. They are always full of strength and speed. Congrats.

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sandy - Sad as Sandy was... You are turning your compositions in your own style which is very interesting. Congrats.

More later.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
06. Amaruk - Summer '78 Impressive playing along with quite an impressive video so appropriately mastered. Very articulate and musical performance.

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1 A very moving performance of such a beautiful piece of music! I did love it. Excellent playing, as usual.

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936) I really enjoyed your precise and relaxed performance of these two preludes. So well done and a pleasure to listen to. Nice recording, too!

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge You just seem to always choose the coolest tunes, and make them even cooler. The first section is very Debussy-like. And yes, somewhat pensive but with an edge. Great arrangement with the "Riddler" trademark sound. I loved it!

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1 I can never find anything to criticize about your performances. You are very professional sounding - everything just right, touch, dynamics, flow , musicality - all of which make for a perfect picture. Beautiful!!

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover This being one of many great rock ballads, you've really done fantastic work making this a piano solo. You can fill out a piece with such aplomb - I really enjoyed listening!

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor I think this prelude more than any other of Chopin's, elicits such surprising interpretations, and I always enjoy hearing it. Your performance is no exception. You did imbue it with your own personal touch and style. Your use of rubato and dynamics made for your uniquely personal performance. Nice work!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
3. Cebukid- you got me smiling. A solid performance with all the kids making noise in the background. Been there done that.

6. Amaruk- WOW.... nice job!!! I love your playing and especially the video work. The different cameras and the extra video mix are superb. Mesmerizing. I like that red filter effect too.

15. Wastruebeginner- I always look forward to your compositions. I think you were a major composer in your last life smile You just come up with such wonderful melodies. I should send this off to my wife's cousin in Seabrite. Seabrite NJ is no longer. It's a beautiful piece.

19. Jazztpt- Russ, wow, I wish I could watch you play. You have such a natural, relaxed presentation. I love the piece. And that roland sounds FANTASTIC. (I won't bother to tell you how envious I am of your knowledge and talent)

21. Andy- I guess I should know Rameau...but I dont. Very Bach like and equally enjoyable. I love the left hand/bass work. Just a wonderful piece and you play it very well!

22. Casinitaly- Cheryl, I really enjoyed your little presentation. I hope everyone goes to your youtube link to see the video. They are really fun. Nice playing!

27. Kenjazz- Ken, how nice it is to hear a bill Evans tune. I still have a record from way back of him double tracked with himself that is just out of this world. Your playing is excellent. It really does the master justice. I have no idea what program you used to do the bass and drums but it is excellent. (That was band in a box???) and you have only been playing five years??? Just shoot me now. smile

28. Marybee- Mary.... if it wasn't you I swear I just would not listen to this. I can't stand Fur Elise... smile but it is you and YOU really do it justice. I could almost like it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The Big Q:

The Short A:
thumb

Since the author is unknown but was Einaudi who made the transcription, why not...?

Why not, indeed - the string continues...Einaudi lives!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And now....for my last wave of commentary:

41. joangolfing - Elves' Dance

What a happy piece! I loved it, and loved the nice sound of your grand piano.

42. Copper - What a Wonderful World

Another great familiar tune. That's why *we* all get along so great here on the ABF...there is no classical snubbery here and we all enjoy the variety. Nice piano cover of this great song! smile

43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me

Great cover and great video. You have a lovely singing voice and I can tell you put a lot of emotion into this song. It was a nice celebration of your sister's late husband and her impressive artwork.

44. Valencia - Work in Progress --Chopin's Etude 25/11

Very nice work in progress. YOu have me curious now how the "at tempo" one sounds...this one sounded hard enough!! PS- Paul Barton is probably my favorite "tutorial guy" on YouTube...he's not a condescending snob like other some of the self-proclaimed scholars on U-Tube...plus, he's a great player himself!

45. jotur/Cathy Turner - Alexander's Ragtime Band

Oom-pah, oom--pah...oh how I miss ragtime. Great job Cathy! I wish I could've heard the other instruments too...you know,I'll plant that seed in your head. I'd like to hear you and your actual band in a future recital, as I do love listening to ragtime "instrumentals" - for example, banjo and tuba accompaniments... smile

46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2

I never tire of this piece either. It's my own personal pianistic goal to one day play this, but I still think I lack the emotional makeup to play this well. You, on the other hand, played with great technical prowess and emotion too. Very nice dynamics and phrasing...can't believe you've been only playing for 3+ years.

PS-sorry to hear about your piano.

47. windywindy - Love Is All Around

Great cover! Keep up the good work. smile

I'm glad Tereza inspired you to write this nice original composition. Great job from a budding pianist student!

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star

Nice work on a great classic made famous by Disney. smile Great piano playing too! You're awesome, Bill!!

50. Bessel - The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman

Nice work. I love this piano piece and have heard this played many times in my own home. You made the piece sound so happy!

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115

Ah, yet another piano classic. The Bach minuets are a must-play for students of piano and you did a fine job on both!
I rarely have heard the G-minor version, but in classic Bach (or Pietzgold) fashion, they compliment each other nicely.

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley.

I was expecting to hear a child-like piece, but this is impressive!! Nicely played, and thanks for the historical description of this piece.

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor

Very nice technical prowess, Sam, that we've come to expect from you now! You set the bar high!

b]54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude[/b]

This sounds like a great student piece, and something out of one of those video games too. Loved it!!
Keep up the playing.

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri

Nice post-halloween piece, Steve! I liked the effects you created on your Claninova.

Parting words....

Thanks to everyone who listened to, and commented on my piece. I read and took everyone's comments to heart. smile

Also, great recital everyone! I enjoyed everyone's submissions and definitely plan to give them all a few more listens. This recital has been my main background music at home while doing dishes, mopping, etc. smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sandy Lots of movement in the piece. Could it be that the rising and falling swells hint at all the water Sandy brought us?

16. BenPiano - Poem Expressive playing. I like how you go with the idea of telling a story. It must help; I hear the development of the sound over the course of the piece. Very nice.

17. Monica K. - Opening Three themes, three repeats, three voices, and triplets -- now that's pretty cool! The repetition is meditative and appealing. Nice playing.

18. cgyan / Iain - Morning Light Love the beginning -- such delicacy really highlights the pretty melody. I like how the sound then grows fuller over time. The additional sounds you chose were tasteful and added to the atmosphere. Not only nicely played, but also nicely produced.

19. Jazztpt (Russ) - You See This was a pleasure to listen to! The piece is a perfect showcase for your skillful playing.

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day That's quite a contrast between your two selections. I like the 2nd one very much. You play it so expressively. Glad you were able to participate in the recital after a problematic year.

21. Andy Platt - Gavotte and Variations I love the theme and variation form, to see how a composer can take a single idea and extend it in so many different ways. This is the first time I've heard this. It sounds like a fun one to learn and play, especially researching the different editions, and deciding on ornamentations (which sounded great, BTW). Nice job with the voicing, emphasizing the melody throughout. I so enjoyed listening to your performance of this.

22. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Romanza and The Little Music Box Cheryl, this is beautiful playing! The deep pensive Romanza leading into the lightness of the Music Box was a great idea. You're really improving on your touch and control, evidenced by how clearly you could evoke the music box sound. Laughed at winding the mechanism. laugh

23. SandTiger - Shimmer What a sweet composition! The tune is appealing, and it has some interesting rhythms going on, yet it seems to be at a level that would not be too difficult for an older beginner. Have you written it down, or was it played by ear?

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks to those who have commented on my piece, especially to the people who really hate Fur Elise, but were kind enough to listen to it anyway!
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
I think of "Fur Elise" as being to classical piano what Kool & The Gang's "Celebration" is to wedding receptions.
LOL (I had to share this comment with my husband.)
Originally Posted by Peyton
Mary.... if it wasn't you I swear I just would not listen to this. I can't stand Fur Elise... smile but it is you and YOU really do it justice. I could almost like it.
Aww... that's sweet... I think! laugh

There were also those who admit to actually liking this piece (CebuKid), those who have played it themselves (TX-Dennis, Greener, BenPiano),
those who gave me constructive comments about my pedaling, which I have a tendency to over-use (jazzwee, Ganddalf), and those whose comments just make me feel really good (everyone mentioned above, plus FarmGirl, jotur, sinophilia, casinitaly, Sam S, windywindy, BillM, Mr Super-Hunky, and Andy Platt).

This ABF group is the best support group I know of!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid
And now....for my last wave of commentary:

I'm glad Tereza inspired you to write this nice original composition. Great job from a budding pianist student!

It's her melody in the middle section. I wish I came up with something so beautiful for melody. But I did a good job on the rest such as the introduction and the ending and the left hand arpeggios and octaves. She is a cellist, you should hear her play in concert. I brought over some friends one time and they are not classical music fans to the point that they kind of hate it, but they were thrilled, she really impressed them.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission