2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 11 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hello!

I've just recently discovered this forum and am quite amazed at how great this community seems to be. I have found some really interesting threads so far!

I have been learning piano for three (3) months now and have been really enjoying myself.

Before taking my first piano lesson, I bought a Yamaha NP-30 at a very reasonable price. I wanted something not too expensive to start with in case piano was not for me (quite the opposite hapenned actually).

My teacher has an upright piano and I really like the touch and sound compared to my Yamaha digital piano.. Whenever I go back to my DP after a lesson, I find myself quite frustrated. :-\

The touch feels so "plasticky" on my Yamaha NP-30 and I was wondering if this can be an obstacle to my learning progression.

Besides enjoying playing/practice even more, what advantages would a better DP or an acoustic piano have on learning the instrument?

I apologize in advance for any English mistakes as it is not my primary language.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Pierre-Luc

Yamaha YDP-181
Alfred's All-in-One Level 2
Hi pierre-luc!
In my opinion;
Touch and tone are all important and generally you will get what you pay for with dp's and acoustics....

However even with a very basic keyboard there is a wealth of theory that can be learned, the only point i will make is that if you can get an acoustic (or better dp) then since you are very early in your piano journey you can avoid bad habbits that playing an inferior piano will cause... these bad habbits will be much harder to change at a later date if they become ingrained in your playing.

Touch control and tonal change from volume variation are much better to learn on a better machine...

If your teacher can help advise you on a local piano within your budget you will not regret it.

Good luck!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
C'est la vie?

That is life I'm afraid.

My own casio feels horrible compared to the acoustic pianos get to fondle.

The steinways and Bechsteins are very light to touch, the kemble a bit heavier while the Yamaha somewhere in between.

you're either gong to have to live with it or buy an acoustic of your own. Myself although I don't like the variation in touch I just live with it and try to hit the keys lighter when playing an acoustic.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by UK Paul UK
the only point i will make is that if you can get an acoustic (or better dp) then since you are very early in your piano journey you can avoid bad habbits that playing an inferior piano will cause... these bad habbits will be much harder to change at a later date if they become ingrained in your playing.

Touch control and tonal change from volume variation are much better to learn on a better machine...

Thanks for your response, it's really appreciated. I'm having a much harder time right now with volume variations on my DP than with my teacher's upright piano and I sure don't want to develop bad habits early on.

Can someone recommend a not too expensive digital piano with a similar touch as a real piano if it exists? I live in an apartment so having the possibility to plug head phones is a must..

Yamaha YDP-181
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The good news is that you have an acoustic and you never ever have to play a "plasticky digital piano" again in your lifetime. However....

I had a Clavinova 20 years old. I thought it was awesome. I had never played a grand piano and went to a piano store and asked if I could play any grand as I had never experiened it. Like you, I could only play the tunes I had learned in Book 1 of how to play the piano - not very impressive repertoire - the pianos I tried in the store in my mind were horrible to play even though they cost thousands of dollars. They had some Yahama grands which I asked to play and they seemed okay to play but since I had never played a grand before my fingers were not very strong like you need for an acoustic piano.

My 20 year old Clavinova has a good sound and very good touch like a piano - not the same as an acoustic piano. Like you I bought a cheap digital weighted keyboard piano - for me - so I could play it laying on my back on the floor because I had health problems - another story - it is not remotely like a piano but remember, a $500 digital piano should not sound or feel like a 15,000 dollars grand piano or there is something wrong! Famous players do - and will tell you - that the pianos they face vary greatly even if they are all steinways. For instance, if I am learning some chords I prefer to play the cheap keyboard piano because my fingers are not strong like a boxer's fingers because I haven't been playing long enough. I love my acoustic piano. But, remember, you can play and take the "plasticky digital piano" - humour - piano anywhere at any time around the world and play it - practice on it. When the acoustic pliano was deliver it two men struggling and staining up a few stairs though a narrow doorway - not a pretty sight at all. I hope the piano never ever have to be moved again.

Enjoy play the pianos, digital or acoustic, like I do
Cheers

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
As above I think the only real solution is that you adapt to it. Since I am pretty sure no such digital piano exists. The Yamaha hybrid NU1 has 100% accurate piano touch. Because it is a piano without the strings however it is 4000Euros.

Think of it like a car, you can drive all cars with 3 pedals, and manual gear shifts as they are all broadly the same.*

Its the man not the machine that is the important part.

*a lot of Yanks won't understand this! For the benefit of Americans. Most cars in Europe in the 80s, 90s and 00s are stick shift, manual gearboxes. And therefore have three pedals, much like a steinway. Rather than two like early European grand pianos.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
An NP30 is not a good choice for someone learning piano and using a digital, because it does not have hammer weighted keys. If you stick with a digital, rather than getting an acoustic, and have a limited budget start with a 'reasonable' entry level digital that has hammer weighted keys and some control over dynamics with good sustain.

Over on the digital forum you will get suggestions if you telll us your budget, and requirements.

Having said that, I had a mid level DP with good dynamics, hammer keys, and well thought of but still could not easily adjust to the difference with my teachers piano, or other piano's I encountered. Only solution for me was a piano or a hybrid as already suggested N1, NU1, etc. But, I still purchased, as well, a low end digital for use as a synth, piano, organs, etc. Horses for courses.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I don't know the NP30 but I can tell you my cheap (€500) Casio Privia PX-135 has fully weighted keys and, for what I know, a decent touch. A friend of mine who has been playing her old upright all her life was quite pleased with it. And there certainly are many other good options in that price range or just a bit more expensive, from Casio and Yamaha. Real pianos are fascinating but I think I will resist the temptation to get one until my playing improves substantially.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks everyone!

Yamaha YDP-181
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A piano is a tool and I feel the better the tool the better the possible results. When playing an acoustic[ preferably a grand] the vibrations from the sound board come through your hands and into your heart.

rada

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by justpin
*a lot of Yanks won't understand this! For the benefit of Americans. Most cars in Europe in the 80s, 90s and 00s are stick shift, manual gearboxes. And therefore have three pedals, much like a steinway. Rather than two like early European grand pianos.

Ummmm... I think we're all aware of what a manual transmission is! It's not that unusual, and becoming more common now with the ascendancy of hybrids.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rada
A piano is a tool and I feel the better the tool the better the possible results. When playing an acoustic[ preferably a grand] the vibrations from the sound board come through your hands and into your heart.

rada

Quite magical the way you put that rada! Yes, it's how my old 1910 Piano feels!

I tried digital pianos in the music shop in town and the most realistic feeling ones were Kawai- but then they cost £3,000!!!

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/24/12 09:13 AM.
P
OP Offline
P
I finally decided to upgrade to a Yamaya YDP-181 and am quite happy with the touch smile

Yamaha YDP-181
S
S
Similar to me and I guess many others, I started with a ypp35 from eBay to see if I could 'do piano', Now upgraded to a kawai cn33, but enjoyed my time of discovery on the cheap keyboard over my first year of learning.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pierre-Luc
I finally decided to upgrade to a Yamaya YDP-181 and am quite happy with the touch smile

Wow, what an upgrade! That thing is anything but cheap! Congratulations smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission