2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Monica K.
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses: I had never heard of Couperin, and I appreciate being introduced to his work. I was surprised to hear that it dates all the way back to 1717; it has a modern feel to it, dare I say almost Tiersenesque?

Thanks! Yes BenPiano already suggested it sounds a bit new-age laugh

Originally Posted by MaryBee
It was very strange, because I'm not usually very emotional. But it touched me somehow. No, it wasn't sadness. Nostalgia, perhaps? It was the refrain, I think, that brought back feelings of childhood.

Mary, thanks for the more details on it! Someone in the family played this when you were young?

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses A beautiful way to introduce Couperin! This piece flows so beautifully, the pedaling is just great. You have a very nice touch with the phrasing and the melody line is brought out very nicely.

Andy, Thanks for your nice comments on the flow, pedaling and phrasing! I highly value these in music and it's great to hear that I'm getting there.

Originally Posted by Peyton

5. Wouter- A beautiful piece. And very well played with a nice legato. And you are right, we don't hear much Couperin and you have to wonder why. They are such wonderful works.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by CMohr

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses You got me with the first note. Your approach into the piece is flawless, which gave a beautiful flow throughout. Your touch is excellent on this piece, also. Your piano has such a wonderful sound - it seems to add to the piece. Lovely entry

Nice to hear that there is good flow and sound. As I just said to Andy, I highly value flow and appreaciate hearing positive comments on my attempts in this regard. Regarding the first note, I guess you're pulling my leg regarding my previous comments on the first notes? But the first notes ARE important so it's good to hear that as well.

Originally Posted by CarlosCC
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses - Couperin...? I didn't know this piece. Thanks for the explanation about "brise style". You have shown a good domain on this (hard) piece. It's very beautiful.

Thanks and glad that you like it smile

Originally Posted by lyricmudra
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses

Even though Couperin meant this for the harpsichord you gave it a beautiful life on the piano. It sounds like a very tricky piece. It speeds up and it slows down, and you did so at the right places. Your playing is brisk, but it breathes very well.

Thanks for your nice comments! It's not extremely tricky but you'd better not get lost in the written scores. But since I play from memory I don't have that issue. Still, if you have a mistake, picking up halfway is a bit tricky since all melody lines are interwoven. Easiest is to re-start the melody line first and then merge back in the other lines as you go.

Brisk? Maybe you should check some of the available recordings on the web, I'm in fact playing a bit slower than most

Originally Posted by Inlanding
05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses Very pretty piece of music. I always enjoy Couperin's compositions and your playing exemplifies it nicely.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by SwissMS

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses I am not familiar with Couperin, but judging by this piece I would like to learn more about his music. I like the use of pauses and phrasing. Well played.

SwissMs, thanks and good to hear that my attempt to augment the phrasing and pauses a bit works for you.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I’m thankful to everyone who took the time to listen to my piece and comment on it and on my sister’s artwork. I made sure I read all of your comments and I’ll be reading some of them to her next week.

Originally Posted by Greener
This is a really great tune, Starr Keys. The cocktail jazz stylings are very effective. I know how tricky playing and singing business can be and have much respect for you that can do it this nicely. I sure wish I could. Nice performance.

I was all excited to start working with my new Ella songbook and accompanying CD this morning, but when I saw Greener’s post, I felt it was important to take the time to make sure people were not under the misconception that the voice they heard on my video with the accompaniment wasn’t taped in real time while playing. I had explained this earlier in this thread when Cheryl made a similar remark but I guess some people missed it. I said that even though I was singing when I recorded the accompaniment, I didn’t use that recording because I couldn’t sustain the energy in my voice all the way through. Since I always keep my DP recorder on these days, I just played the recording and sung to it while I made a new tape with my Zoom.

I am discovering that accompanying a singer is an art, and I have purchased a few books and CD’s like the Ella one to learn how to do it better. The secret seems to be playing most of the notes and chords at least an 8th note before or after you sing a note, and I am trying to learn to arrange more like this because it makes singing while playing so much easier (it also usually sounds better). I didn’t arrange this piece with this principle in mind, which is part of the reason I think ran into difficulty, especially when the tempo picked up (a cold is the other).

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm not done commenting on work but did want to give a shout out of thanks to all that listened and responded to my piece. I know it was long and perhaps a bit tedious to listen to so I really appreciate everyone taking the time to listen. Some of your comments were really thoughtful and insightful and I cannot thank you enough.

So special thanks to starrKeys, Greener, Carlos, Mr SuperHunky, SwissMs, Jazztpt, Amaruk, Inlanding, MaryBee, BeccaBp, Gandalf, Monica, Sam, CMohr, Casinitaly, Lyricmudra, Andy Platt, TX Dennis, Dad Again, Bessel, KenJazz, BillM, Cebukid, Windywindy, Was True Beginner, A Tall Guy and ZRT90. Sorry if I missed anyone. You guys are the best, many thanks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
33. Serge88 - My Way I like how you introduce variations on the repeats. Makes it quite interesting.

34. LizAnne - Elegy Op.183, No.2 I had to laugh about your ignorance of dynamics, because it was the same for me. I played for so many years without a thought for them, until I started taking lessons. Thank goodness we're able to learn new things! It sounds like you're making good progress with it. Hope that this round with your piano goes for longer than two years.

35. MrPozor - The Doll's Funeral Nice playing after seven months of self-teaching! Suitably steady and somber.

36. lyricmudra - Consolation No. 3 I have never heard this piece before, so no need to feel intimidated around me. smile Your playing is so deliciously expressive. Beautiful performance.

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You That is a pretty song. I'm glad you included the lyrics. Although I didn't sing along, I did follow them while listening.

38. DadAgain (& DadAgains Daughter) - Rondo Op163 #6 This just sounds like so much fun to play, and it was great fun to listen to, also! Congrats to both of you on the joint effort.

39. Ganddalf - Prelude Op.45 Musically, this seems like a complicated piece, taking you all over the place -- through lyrical, insistent, gentle, and triumphant passages. You handle those twists and turns with aplomb.

40. Sam S - Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop) I'd like to learn this one at some point, too. I think I understand what you mean about the difficulty of making it musical, because there is just a lot of the repeated block chords in the left hand. You do great with this, especially in the "drumming" parts. Very dramatic. Piano sounds nice! It must be a real joy to be playing on a grand instead of an upright now, especially one that you've put so much time into.

41. joangolfing - Elves' Dance Your staccato touch is perfect for this piece.

42. Copper - What a Wonderful World Okay, I admit I'm a sucker for the sentimental -- I love this song. Thanks for playing it for us.

43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me Oh yes, I remember hearing Anne Murray's version of this song. You've given it an entirely different and interesting flavor with this performance. I usually only listen to the audios of the recital pieces, but I watched your video to see your sister's art work. What an artistic family!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by MaryBee
43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me Oh yes, I remember hearing Anne Murray's version of this song. You've given it an entirely different and interesting flavor with this performance. I usually only listen to the audios of the recital pieces, but I watched your video to see your sister's art work. What an artistic family!

This one I’m going to read to my mom and my sister! Thanks for your kind comment and for departing from your usual routine to look at my video.

5. Movie or Game Soundtracks

2. Jared Miller
6. Amurak

Jared, this is a beautiful song, it made me think, perhaps I should take up gaming. 5 month?!!-you are proof of the hypothesis play what you are drawn to with the emotion that love brings to it and you can progress faster and with more satisfaction to yourself and your audience than you would twisting yourself in knots analyzing the minutia of repetitive movements playing technics for three times as long. Amurak, I didn’t see the movie, but I loved the video. Parts of it felt like looking through a camera obscura, the effect of which fit the mood of the piece perfectly. Your playing is brilliant as usual.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 11/26/12 03:30 PM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1
Beautiful, I loved it. Very flowing, you have overcome any tendency to play mechanically, to my ear. This seems like a very challenging piece, to me. Wonderful playing.

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor
Excellent, I have always found this prelude to be deeply moving. Wonderful expression, especially in the dramatic parts.

17. Monica K. - Opening
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not moreso, unless we are talking about music, in which case moreso is permitted if the composer is Phillip Glass. I find this intriguing. wonderful performance,

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
19. Jazztpt (Russ) - You See Wow, Russ, this piece really indicates a fine musical direction in which you've pointed yourself. I like very much your use of 4ths to create such a wonderful effect in all the right places. You've captured some of the finer points of your favorite artists and created a style that is yours! You are really connecting with the music as it sounds as though you are listening very carefully to it as you play. …and your new keyboard, it sounds really very nice. This is definitely one of your best.

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day I'd like to have heard a slightly longer improv on both, so keep practicing.

21. Andy Platt - Gavotte and Variations A very beautiful piece indeed. Your control over the dynamics and your touch on the keyboard are really quite impressive, and even more-so, considering it's six and a half minutes long. Beautifully done. How is it you came to chose this particular piece?

22. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Romanza and The Little Music Box Cheryl, Romanza is fantastic. I had no idea you perfected it to the degree you have. Your use of staccato in the Little Music Box is really great. With each e-cital, you make such wonderful jumps in improvement. Your sense of touch is so much improved and your control over dynamics are spectacular. I really enjoy listening to your music. My only wish is that these pieces were longer - they both ended way too soon! Great job, Cheryl!

23. SandTiger - Shimmer Nicely done composition. Which came first, the title or the music? I am interested in your motivation for creating such a fine melody.

24. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Meditation A wonderful melody and thank you for introducing a new composer. A very pretty and rich sounding piece of music, excellently played, Mike. How were you introduced to her music?

25. Hawgdriver - Nocturne in B flat minor, Op. 9/1 I am constantly amazed at your piano skill, and even more considering the fact you've been playing three years. This is no simple piece by any stretch and you play it with such patience and sensitivity.

26. MusicaMusique - Je t'aimais, je t'aime, je t'aimerai Your playing this relatively long piece by ear, your own arrangement is amazing. I watched the video in your submission and thoroughly enjoyed your piano version. Thank you for your music.

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby A wonderful arrangement your created, especially as a tribute to your daughter, Liv. Tony Bennett personalized it for you and you personalized it for us! I very much enjoyed the swing you put into it. This is one of your best, Ken. Really good work with the virtual combo - it sounded great, too!

28. MaryBee - Bagatelle No.25 in A minor (Fur Elise) This is a really fine rendition. It's a great thing your teacher suggested you learn it. This is one of those pieces you can carry with your forever and it will mature under your fingers over the years. You play it as though you are telling a story, expressing the music as your mind's ear hears it. Wonderful.

29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls One year at the keyboard…you play as though you've been playing much longer than that. This is a lovely piece of music you chose and you play it so very well.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
StarKeys - I missed your reply earlier where you mentioned the recording was a different track than the music! I'm still very impressed with the outcome, and in fact seriously thinking of giving that a try myself! smile

As for Mr. Super-Hunky's suggestion of lurkers providing feedback (or other members who don't participate in the recital)... it would indeed be lovely to hear from you!

Like Jotur/Cathy, I enjoy reading the observations of other - I always find it very interesting to note when pieces which were new to me were also new to others. I also like the fact that others with more experience give a type of feedback I don't feel qualified to give, but appreciate hearing as it can be another source of "training" in my musical education!

and now... more thanks to those who commented on my submission!

Originally Posted by Amaruk
Lovely, but short, pieces! I especially liked the music box. I think the tempo is just right. I also loved the pictures you added in your video. It adds a great dimension to your performances.

Thanks Amaruk - the Music Box is my favourite too. I’m glad you liked the tempo. The videos were amusing to put together, -but time consuming!- so it is very nice to know that they were enjoyed too!

Originally Posted by Jazzpt
Two lovely pieces ,the Romanza sounds familiar to me but I am not sure where I would have heard it before. I was particularly taken by the Little Music Box. Nicely played.

I submitted Romanza to the piano bar about a year ago, but it was pretty wobbly, maybe you heard it there? Or if you use Joy of First Classics –Book2, maybe you saw it there and played it yourself? Thanks for your very kind comments!

Originally Posted by SwissMS
Very sweet little pieces, well played. The winding of the music box was a nice touch!

Thanks SwissMS, glad you enjoyed the playing and my little musical joke!

Originally Posted by Inlanding(Glen)
Cheryl, Romanza is fantastic. I had no idea you perfected it to the degree you have. Your use of staccato in the Little Music Box is really great. With each e-cital, you make such wonderful jumps in improvement. Your sense of touch is so much improved and your control over dynamics are spectacular. I really enjoy listening to your music. My only wish is that these pieces were longer - they both ended way too soon! Great job, Cheryl!

Thanks Glen! My new teacher is such a fabulous coach, he really helped me understand what I had to aim for! I can not tell you how exciting it is for me to hear your observations on my playing –you have always paid so much attention. I really did feel like I’d hit a new level of competency here and it is such a reward to know how clear it is to others too. I’m aiming for a longer piece for the next time round..we’ll see how I cope with that! smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
It took a while for me to get to the next 10 but here they are:

41. joangolfing - Elves' Dance I think I knew this piece, but if I didn't - you made it clear from the first few notes it was Grieg! You nailed it - wonderful staccato, nice phrasing and great rhythm. Loved it!

42. Copper - What a Wonderful World I think I heard Satchmo growling along! This was a beautiful, restrained performance. You gave the melody it's due and nice accompaniment.

43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me A wonderful version of this - it suits your voice very well and the jazzy piano works very well with it. Excellent.

44. Valencia - Work in Progress --Chopin's Etude 25/11 This is quite a piece to play! Even if it's not all there, it's a wonderful start. Wish it could have been on an acoustic piano - or a newer digital. It would really shine. But I loved the runs, beautifully timed and lovely phrasing.

45. jotur/Cathy Turner - Alexander's Ragtime Band Although I don't really know the song, I could hear "Alexander's Ragtime Band" just fine! This is a wonderful, upbeat performance. There's some nice interplay between the hands. It sounds better than I can put into words.

46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2 Everytime my teacher says we should think of a nocturne, I say this one and she says, not just yet. Soon! You capture the wistfulness of it beautifully. There is lovely timing in the phrases and ornamentation. All the while the accompaniment is just wonderful - unobtrusive but present with great movement within each measure. Awesome!

47. windywindy - Love Is All Around Very nice performance, controlled and with great expression - particularly in the chorus sections. In some of the verses I think you could have brought the melody out a teeny bit more. Great ending!

48. Teodor - Tereza's Inspiration (Original Piece) Very nice composition - beautifully played, with a wonderful mood throughout.

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star You always show us just how it's done. This is an incredibly tender performance, without sentimentality. There's wonderful piano playing under the vocals too - it's almost a shame the vocals are so great they hide it! Wonderful.

50. Bessel - The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman These are two wonderful performances of Schumann, who I always find trips me up. Loved the phrasing and you kept the rhythm going just perfectly.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day
Glen, very melodic, nice swing feeling, really enjoyable to listen to,

24. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Meditation (to do)
Wow, what beautiful industrial strenght chords and arpeggios. I was surprised to hear such powerful stuff, given the title of the piece! Excellent performance.

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby
Loved that swing part, very nice relaxed feel! Great voicings. Cool, ending too, with the grown accustomed quote. I am inspired, may have to try this one myself some day. Thanks for the geek alert!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by casinitaly
StarKeys - I missed your reply earlier where you mentioned the recording was a different track than the music! I'm still very impressed with the outcome, and in fact seriously thinking of giving that a try myself! smile

What a sweet thing to say! No wonder people love you so much! I'd love to hear you do a vocal (you're probably a lot better than I am :)). My goal is still to train myself to play and sing expressively in real time, but since I still can't sing all that well even when I'm not accompanying myself, I suspect it will take some time and a lot of patience to do it effectively. Thanks for yours. smile

Oh, and congratulations on your youtube video. I loved it!

Last edited by Starr Keys; 11/27/12 02:18 PM.
Originally Posted by Riddler

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby
Loved that swing part, very nice relaxed feel! Great voicings. Cool, ending too, with the grown accustomed quote. I am inspired, may have to try this one myself some day. Thanks for the geek alert!

Thanks Riddler! You win the prize - even my piano teacher didn't pick up on the I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face quote at the end. I guess it would make more sense if you went out to the blog and saw my daughter's picture on the post.

Someone else noticed that the mix with the band on the last verse might be off by a few milliseconds. I guess on a swing number you can tell if you are really listening. I fixed it on the blog recording.

It is so energizing to have people really listen. Thanks to all! I'll definitely get to individual thank-yous.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
The last five from me. What a wonderful recital. Thanks to all the great comments on my piece (StarrKeys, I think you missed me from your classical selection frown ). I'll try to remember to comment on the comments when I have a moment.

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115 Very nice performances of the two minuets. I liked the de capo very much. The ornamentation was great and the two hands were balanced very nicely. If I had one thing to improve it would be to vary the dynamics quite a bit.

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley. The theme from Dom (Home) was just beautiful. I loved the warm expression you bring to the piece - it suits the Roland sound very nicely. There was some nice rubato and wonderful phrasing. Continuing into Santa Claus was a little strange but it was a lovely arrangement and also beautifully played. Strangely the two together worked great!

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor Once again you are playing a piece that someone who's been playing for as short a time as you have should not be able to play at all ... and playing it beautifully! I did hear a little unevenness but only because you said it was there. It was a wonderful, balanced performance with delightful runs.

54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude This is a beautiful piece, touchingly played. I loved your phrasing of the melody and the overall feel. Too short! wink

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri The synth strings (or reverb or whatever is giving the sound) certainly add to the Halloween feeling! This was a very well put together medley, could have been a single piece. It really feels like a professional piece of music.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
41 joangolfing Elves' Dance, Grieg
Nice job, Joan. Your piano sounds wonderful. I quite like the sound of the newer Yamahas - not nearly as "bright" as they once were. Or is it just me? At any rate, this is a fun piece, and you play it very well.

42 Copper What A Wonderful World, George Weiss and Bob Thiele
Copper, you do a great job with this evergreen song. It's an enjoyable listen.

43 Starr Keys Broken Hearted Me, Randy Goodrum
Nice song, and your sister's art is quite good. I don't remember hearing the song before, but I was not a big fan of Ann Murray. Your accompaniment fits it well. A well done and moving performance.

44 Valencia Chopin's Etude 25/11
Good start on a difficult piece.

45 jotur/Cathy Turner Alexander's Ragtime Band, Irving Berlin
Nice job, Cathy. This has always been challenging for me. You handle it with aplomb. A real fun listen.

46 Coldsalmon Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2, Chopin
Nice job, Coldsalmon - especially on dynamics. You got the dynamics just right, and they are crucial in this piece. Any errors that you say are included are indeed minor in the overall scheme of this nice performance. Sorry about your piano being destroyed by the hurricane. Hope there's another in the cards. Honestly, this sounds better on the digital than it probably would have on the Acro, anyway.

47 windywindy Love Is All Around, Sonny Curtis
Curtis (the composer of this song) is from my neck of the woods, as we say here. I've heard him on several local radio interviews where he talked about some of the songs he's written over the years and the people he's performed with over the years (including Buddy Holly). I Fought the Law is probably his best known song. I didn't realize this was his. Anyway, nice job on the piece. You play it well.

48 Teodor Tereza's Inspiration, Tereza Jurikova & Teodor Tenchev
This is a very moving piece, Teodor. I enjoyed it very much.

49 BillM When You Wish Upon a Star
This is a classic, Bill. You do a great job with it. I like your magical sounding ending. Just right for the song we all grew up hearing on the old Disney Sunday evening program.

50 Bessel The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman, Schumann
Nice job, Bessel. Farmer is perfect, and Horseman isn;t far behind. Both fun pieces to hear and to play.

51 PianoStudent88 Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115, Christian Petzold
A tremendous job. These are challenging pieces, and you play them well. I rather enjoyed hearing the set of two played this way. Nice performance.

52 Mar_red Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley., W. Kazanecki / J. Fred Coots
The first piece is stunningly beautiful and well played with emotion. The Christmas tune did put a smile on my face. Very fun! You arrangement is really fun and puts me in mind of Liberace from when I used to watch on television as a young child.

53 Sam Rose (Shmuel R) Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor, C.P.E. Bach
I love this piece, but it is out of the question for my slow old fingers. You do a nice job with it, and this is a joy to listen to.

54 Norrec, Tim Solitude, Michiru Oshima
This is beautiful, Tim. Your recording does sound much better than the last.

55 Mile Hi Steve Halloween Potpourri, Various(Moroder, Carpenter, Barber)
Interesting medley, Steve. Well played. You've given us a tour de force of sinister sounding pieces. I'm glad it's 1 pm as I listen to this rather than 1 am.

Last edited by TX-Dennis; 11/27/12 02:52 PM.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me A wonderful version of this - it suits your voice very well and the jazzy piano works very well with it. Excellent.

Andy, after reading this, I looked up your birthday to see if you were a Leo, since they are known for validating others and making them feel good about their abilities. Thanks a bunch and I hope I get to hear you accompany yourself again in the not too distant future...Oh, and I didn't "miss" you, Andy, I have another category of classical performance (Beginning and Intermediate) I haven't posted yet -- I know your on the borderline of high intermediate or advanced but I don't know enough how to distinguish this, so I used Richard's categories here as my guide)

6. People difficult to categorize and/or in a class by themselves

11. Mr. Super Hunky
42. BillM
43. Sam Rose

You all stand out for what you do that no one else does (at least not in this ecital). Mr. Super Hunky, you are the only one who could/would take a heavy metal band classic and turn it into a delicate piano solo—and maybe the only one who could pull it off. BillM, you have the rare distinction of being able to beautifully arrange and perform pop songs for self-accompaniment and soloing and improvise from a fake book with ease, while singing like a pro. Sam Rose, I don’t know what to say about you, except that I’ve never heard anyone play classical music like you do after only two years and few play as well as you do no matter what their experience and--if I remember correctly--without the help of a teacher. You are all in rare form—or should I just say, you are all rare forms.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here is another batch of comments. Such wonderful music!

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You Thanks for the interesting history of this song. You did a beautiful job of it. You make these old favorites sing!

38. DadAgain (& DadAgains Daughter) - Rondo Op163 #6 Fantastic duet! What a fun piece. You say your daughter has only played this for two weeks? Amazing! You two were beautifully coordinated.

39. Ganddalf - Prelude Op.45 Beautiful Chopin! Your playing is very well balanced with nice dynamics.

40. Sam S - Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop) This is my favorite Chopin prelude. Your melody line floats beautifully over the accompaniment. I like the sweet, lyrical touch in the beginning transitioning into the “stormy” section, calming back to lyrical. Excellent job.

41. joangolfing - Elves' Dance Nice job on the staccato and chords. This piece requires a precision in touch and you did it well.

42. Copper - What a Wonderful World This song always reminds me of You’ve Got Mail. This is a very nice arrangement and you played it well.

43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me Great job. Your singing has really matured. You capture the feeling to match your story. Beautiful.

44. Valencia - Work in Progress --Chopin's Etude 25/11 It sounds like you have a good start on this. You clearly have a good feel for the piece.

45. jotur/Cathy Turner - Alexander's Ragtime Band I am always toe-tapping with your pieces. This is so fun. I like the question/answer form of the music. Love it!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I apologize for being so late, but better late than never I suppose! Thanks to everyone who's given me feedback so far; you are too kind. I'll respond to those in more detail later.

First 10:

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover
Really pretty melody, and very clear and musical playing. Congrats on being brave enough to submit your own noodling on the piano! I don't think I'd have the guts to do so. Thank you!

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand
Firstly, congrats on starting to play the piano!! I started in a very similar manner (on a roommate's keyboard using the Alfred book). You play with a fluidity and musicality that's not at all expected from someone with only 5 months of experience. I really enjoyed your performance, and I look forward to hearing more music from you in future recitals as I'm sure you'll be making great progress if you keep working at it the way you have at this piece. Thank you!

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772)
I always look forward to your submissions. Very enjoyable playing, really nice ornaments, and great concentration with the noisy children in the background! Thank you!

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun
I never like listening to your submissions. Because they always make me jealous. It's not you "playing" the piano. You and the piano always seem to become one, whereas I'm still struggling to get proper music out of the piano. You always succeed at setting the mood you shoot for. And yes, I did listen to the entire thing smile Thank you!

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses
Impeccable piano sound, as usual. Your playing seems to get more confident and musical every time out. I've never heard of this composer, but your playing makes me want to learn about him, which means you've done your job really well. I wonder what you'll be playing in four or five recitals from now!! Thank you!

06. Amaruk - Summer '78
Beautifully played, and I love the look and feel of your video. This is a really beautiful melody, and you do it justice. Wonderful job. Thank you!

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1
This is definitely soothing to listen to, and I don't hear any hesitation. You don't sound too worried about the arpeggios at all, and when I got there I forgot to listen for them because I was too relaxed, so I'm sure you did them wonderfully wink Thank you!

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936)
Aaaaahhhh so much good music! Can't. Take. It. I'm going to have to start learning some Bach. This stuff is great. Nice recording quality (I always appreciate those who go to the effort of using decent recording equipment because it makes the music much more of a joy to hear) and your playing sounds great and clear. Thank you!

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge
Not really my kind of music, (I still don't "get" jazz. I think I'll start to get it when I understand music a lot better in a few years time. I never liked Bach, and now I'm starting to really like it) but you play it very well, to my uninformed ear anyway. Thank you!

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1
Well it took until #10 to get to a piece I actually know (and love). For the most part, this is just awesome! Sure, I hear a bit of rhythmic inaccuracy in a couple places, but overall, you killed this one! (That's positive slang in America. I see you're in the UK, and I don't want you to get the wrong idea.) There's so much more than just the notes here. You play this so musically. And nice job on the polyrhythms too! I hope to play this piece, this well, one day. Thank you!

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

30. Jazzwee - Blue Monk
That sounded very blue to me, JW, more bluesy than monkish. Loved that comping. Must be hard to keep from getting in the way of a guitar soloist who is chording a lot. You guys sound very professional, and you seem to be developing a very diverse reportoire.

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You
I have loved this song for as long as I can remember. You're right, it is one of the all time greats. And you can't beat a Dan Coates arrangement. Nicely done, Trap, very nicely done!

BTW, how do you research these songs? I always enjoy the background info you provide.

40. Sam S - Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop)
One of the joys of these recitals is that we often get to hear this beautiful masterpiece. That was terrific. Well done.

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star
Another excellent vocal/piano performance, Bill. Nicely done.

46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2
Well done. This is one of my favorites and I really enjoyed listening. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your piano, but I can see it is not going to stop you from creating wonderful music.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
20- Inlanding- man... that is HOT playing!!! Glad you are back in the saddle. Your playing is fantastic. Especially enjoyed the opening section.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

....and for the final group:

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115 Well I'm not familiar with many classical pieces but I know this one. You made it instantly recognizable and did a nice job with this famous piece. I heard some tricky trills throughout as well. Nicely done.

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley. this IS a beautiful piece performed in a very elegant way. I love your smooth, flowing playing which continued into the Santa tune. What an incredible beginning as well. Super-impressive playing.

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor Sam, I just watched your video and can only say that your playing IS incredible, AND for real. You ARE the real deal. I say lose the 2 year time frame disclaimer because your playing is phenomenal for ANY amount of time. Bravo.

54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude This sounded great Tim. I liked the subtle melodic changes in the melody which kept my attention as I followed along. Nicely performed.

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri Wow, I really loved all the familiar haunting melodies. This sounded top notch and was performed equally as well. The deep church organ at the close was a great ending too.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations to all the performers. I'll have to start on something soon in an effort just to keep up with the beginners in this forum.

The talent pool here is deep. Scuba tank deep!

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission