Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 21 of 22 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#1978724 - 10/26/12 12:46 AM Re: Difference? [Re: Kbeaumont]
Marvin Eight Offline

Black keys are normally satin black, not glossy on acoustics.

The $75-$100K monster concert grands from Steinway, Bosendorfer, etc. have glossy whites, not textured. I think that if the world's greatest pianists preferred textured keys, they'd be on there, no?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1978782 - 10/26/12 05:47 AM WTF? [Re: Kbeaumont]
Aidan Offline

Loc: UK
OK... I still don't know what happened here...

This morning, as an experiment before it went back, I recorded a comparison between the output levels of the Kronos, the PX-350 with its speakers enabled and with them disabled.

As I predicted, both the Kronos and PX-350 line-out-only samples were pretty much comparable, while the middle sample (PX-350, speakers enabled) showed a distinct drop. I went and posted, on this thread but with a different title, the results - audio here.

I also posted a screenshot of the three recordings (all made on same channel etc, just pausing Logic between recording) when brought into Audacity. Here is that pic:

And that, I thought was that. I was ready to pack the Casio ready for pick-up on Monday when I thought: "Let's just try it through the powered PA speaker (EV ZXA-1) again."

I hadn't been impressed last time - volume seemed very low, even with the EV full out. But this time - note, different cable - it suddenly sprung into life. It still wasn't deafening - this is obviously not a hugely hot output - but it was still as loud (and rather more so) than I would need for the average wedding drinks reception.

Then I thought: "OK, so let's just try this through a different channel of the audio interface." I had been using 5/6 as a stereo input, so I now chose 1/2, mounted on the front of the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface.

Again, suddenly, I was getting much closer to the results I expected. Certainly enough to move appreciably move the meter.

Now, with both these things suddenly working out, I was much more impressed. I played the thing through the studio monitors, and the EV, for about an hour or so uninterrupted.

I can't fully explain what's gone on here. If it had just been one thing, I'd have said faulty cable or audio channel. I truly hope it's not that there is an intermittent fault on the output of the Casio - but it's held up for now.

I shall play it over the weekend - the shop tells I can just decline the return on Monday and of course, if it turns out to be faulty, it will have to be replaced.

But if it holds up, and it's down to my idiocy (which is quite possible, knowing me!) then I'm freezing on to this little baby after all.

After some extended playing I'm a lot more impressed with the action. I still only really like the default start-up piano sound but one's enough for what I need. Is it the best piano sound in the world? Nope - but it's pretty good. Is it good enough for most gigs? Yep. And the weight and convenience factor are undeniable.

I'm still convinced that the PX-320's outputs are somewhat hotter - unfortunately, I don't have that to hand to compare - but I can now confirm that the output, at least when working as it should and/or not operated by an idiot, is sufficient for most people's needs.

Edited by Aidan (10/26/12 07:07 AM)
Edit Reason: Breaking news update

#1978806 - 10/26/12 08:07 AM Re: WTF? [Re: Aidan]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am going to try it with my KRK ROkit 6's.
It sounds very good through Senhesier HD280's. In particular the mellow and dolce sounds.

I have not even had time yet to really go through the board but I enjoy playing it. I still like my PX130 as well also as that is a great board and I will use it for gigging.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1980866 - 10/31/12 09:57 AM Re: WTF? [Re: Kbeaumont]
mrfancypants Offline

I noticed that the PX-850 does not seem to have midi in/out. The manual mentions that you can connect to a PC to use a virtual piano using a USB cable. Is there any difference in quality over a MIDI to USB or MIDI to Gameport solution?

Edited by mrfancypants (10/31/12 09:57 AM)

#1980881 - 10/31/12 10:23 AM Re: WTF? [Re: mrfancypants]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mrfancypants
I noticed that the PX-850 does not seem to have midi in/out. The manual mentions that you can connect to a PC to use a virtual piano using a USB cable. Is there any difference in quality over a MIDI to USB or MIDI to Gameport solution?

No difference in quality.

For more info, look at the recent thread:

"Roland F-120 (MIDI only) vs Yamaha YDP-S51 (USB only)?"

#1980945 - 10/31/12 01:41 PM Re: Difference? [Re: Marvin Eight]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Marvin Eight
Black keys are normally satin black, not glossy on acoustics.

The $75-$100K monster concert grands from Steinway, Bosendorfer, etc. have glossy whites, not textured. I think that if the world's greatest pianists preferred textured keys, they'd be on there, no?

I'm not sure what "glossy whites" means in this context, but having played through most of the big names on my recent piano search, I can say there are noticeable differences between white key finishes from one brand of top tier piano to the next.

To me, "glossy whites" evokes an image of shiny, slippery plastic. That's not a surface I like. The keys on my Steingraeber seem almost like a superfine matte finish. They're great to play on. The keys on Grotrians seemed similar to me -- also terrific to play.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1981079 - 10/31/12 07:29 PM Re: Difference? [Re: Kbeaumont]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
When you repair original ivories to like-new condition, they have shiny, smooth look to them. On close inspection, you will see the grain but it was meant to be minimal. On really early pianos, keytops moved from hardwood veneers that would scour and wear unevenly to the ivories were praised for being more hard, consistent and slick as well as attractive over the predecessor.

Originally, it was a practical decision, not a luxury or marketing decision. As alternatives surfaced, tradition and luxury were championed rather than innovation.

The irony, if there is any sense of it, is that in digital pianos, textured naturals were developed ahead of or at least marketed before textured sharps. I will say that high end pianos almost universally use a textured ebony or ebony like wood composite sharps. The texture of the naturals varies from slick to superfine matte to mild texture. Good, real ivory mirrors these states. I don't see any acoustic piano, anywhere that is like the significantly textured offerings from a variety of digital brands now on the market. I wonder if that is what the ancient wood veneer tops felt like? wink

It's not a bad thing, but I predict it is the pendulum swinging. I wonder will the tail wag the dog?

Edited by PianoWorksATL (10/31/12 07:30 PM)
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1983104 - 11/05/12 04:09 PM Re: Difference? [Re: Kbeaumont]
Dave Mack Offline

Hey guys, newbie here.
Great site.
I have a couple of synths already but today after reading a lot here and elsewhere I just bought the 350. Will be my first DP. Loved it when I tried it out. My kid is 5 and we have been messing around on the synth at home but since my Mother In Law is a piano teacher, (free lessons) it seemed to make sense to continue with a DP. We live in an apt in NYC so a real piano is impractical. I am looking forward to jumping in with her as I know rudimentary stuff (been playing guitar for 20+ years) and we can learn together.

Edited by Dave Mack (11/05/12 04:10 PM)

#1983240 - 11/05/12 11:17 PM Re: Difference? [Re: Dave Mack]
warlock214 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Welcome to the forum Dave. I have the Privia PX-150 and enjoy playing it. Good luck.

Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1

#1983490 - 11/06/12 04:19 PM Re: Difference? [Re: warlock214]
Miguel Lescano Offline

Joe Raciti has posted a review of the PX-850:

And another one by Richard from Whitehorse Music Reviews:

Edited by Miguel Lescano (11/06/12 04:20 PM)

#1985874 - 11/12/12 08:22 PM Re: Difference? [Re: Kbeaumont]
Dave Mack Offline

Got my 350 tonight. Mostly pleased except for three keys that give REALLY bad rattling sounds when playing the piano.

Here's a video I made...

http://vimeo.com/53377250

Doesn't happen with headphones or on any of the lighter sounds like strings. Those keys are pretty near the left speaker and for whatever reason those tones cause something to vibrate like crazy. Please tell me this isn't normal. I'm sending it back either way but I'd like to get a perfect one. My mother in law is a piano teacher and she's teaching my daughter. At her house they use her Steinway. At my apt they have been using a synthesizer, (which actually did have a decent piano sound) hooked up to an amp and my mother in law constantly complained. I thought this would be a great solution.

Anyways, anyone else have anything similar?. I can't believe this made it through inspection.
Also I think it was an open box unit or a returned one from musician's friend although i bought it new. One of the styrofoam things inside the box was broken and one of the plastic pouches was ripped

#1985906 - 11/12/12 09:53 PM Re: Difference? [Re: Kbeaumont]
Stevesie Offline

It sounds like a cabinet or speaker buzz. Definitely not acceptable.

#1985910 - 11/12/12 09:55 PM Re: Difference? [Re: Kbeaumont]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think you should start your own thread on the subject. This one is 62 pages long already and not really aimed at fixing things like (apparent) shipping damage.

#1985911 - 11/12/12 10:05 PM Re: Difference? [Re: gvfarns]
Dave Mack Offline

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
I think you should start your own thread on the subject. This one is 62 pages long already and not really aimed at fixing things like (apparent) shipping damage.

Good idea. Thanks

#1988381 - 11/19/12 04:23 AM Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: Kbeaumont]
Vikas Sharma Offline

Loc: India
Got my Casio Privia PX-350M yesterday with the stand and the 3-pedal unit. I must say that I'm very pleased with the Piano sounds and the keybed (action as well as texture). It sounds great with my Bose headphones as well as with the external Yamaha monitors. Worked instantaneously with my MacBook Pro - no driver installation was required. Also, works very well with Pianoteq in the Hi-res MIDI mode. I needed a 88-key weighted hammer-action keyboard to work with my XF6 as well as with my computer and I'm happy to have made this choice. Very light, portable and a pleasure to play. I'd never thought a Casio could be so good.

Great value for money!

#1991674 - 11/27/12 07:52 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: Kbeaumont]
NikoKiko Offline

Does anyone have any idea what better sustain pedal can be used with PX-150/PX-350 that supports Half-Damper Pedal Operation and is not the optional 3 pedal board (SP-33)

#1991693 - 11/27/12 08:37 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: Kbeaumont]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
AFAIK there is not one. That's a big downside of Casio. Huge, actually, if you don't want to use their silly stand.

#1991695 - 11/27/12 08:50 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: Kbeaumont]
Gatsbee13 Offline

Loc: So Cal
there might be an aftermarket one in the future since the x50s are new.. but that is a big MIGHT

#1991752 - 11/27/12 11:18 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: NikoKiko]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: NikoKiko
Does anyone have any idea what better sustain pedal can be used with PX-150/PX-350 that supports Half-Damper Pedal Operation and is not the optional 3 pedal board (SP-33)

I've seen a DIY schematic on the 'net. It's out there somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

#1991762 - 11/28/12 12:12 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: NikoKiko]
o0Ampy0o Offline

LINK: This might be a DIY guide for the Casio half pedaling pedal assy.

Supposedly the 3-pedal SP-33 accessory can be removed and used separated from the bar if you mount it to something else. (source)

Edited by o0Ampy0o (11/28/12 12:13 AM)

#1991777 - 11/28/12 01:24 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: gvfarns]
NikoKiko Offline

That's really a pitty, there should be something you can buy, or at least casio should make one if not 3rd party. Look at yamaha, they have that.
I am just weighing pros and cons of PX-150/350 vs Yamaha P-105/P-155

Does anyone know if SP-32 and SP-33 are interchangeble or there is a hardware difference.

Edited by NikoKiko (11/28/12 01:31 AM)

#1991784 - 11/28/12 01:41 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: NikoKiko]
Vikas Sharma Offline

Loc: India
Originally Posted By: NikoKiko
Does anyone know if SP-32 and SP-33 are interchangeble or there is a hardware difference.

AFAIK, they're NOT interchangeable. I think it was confirmed in some other thread by Mike Martin of Casio.

#1991802 - 11/28/12 02:30 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: Vikas Sharma]
NikoKiko Offline

thank you Sir,
so if I want a better quality pedal other than the included one, I can by SP-33.
If I don't like the whole thing I can take it apart and mount the 3 pedal assembly on some piece of board. That is if I don't but the stand for the piano.

#1992236 - 11/29/12 01:11 AM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: Kbeaumont]
NikoKiko Offline

Anyone know where they have PX-150/PX-350 on display in Vancouver, Canada ?
I've tried the PX-130, here locally, but I would like to buy/test the new models.

#1993258 - 12/01/12 03:52 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: Kbeaumont]
etercap Offline

A recently posted demo from KraftMusic for the PX-350:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCtOWbO53Y8

Edited by etercap (12/01/12 03:53 PM)

#2011212 - 01/08/13 02:14 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: Kbeaumont]
Kingnog Offline

Any updated news on the Celviano AP-250 / 450 / 650 release date for the US? Mike previously said January 2013 (page 8 of this thread?), but it hasn't even been announced yet, as far as I am aware.

#2011219 - 01/08/13 02:29 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: Kbeaumont]
Mike_Martin Offline

We launch them at the NAMM show in two weeks and begin shipping immediately after.

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#2011266 - 01/08/13 03:51 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: Mike_Martin]
DBill Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Hi Mike,

Please sign me up for an AP 650. As long as the price is reasonable, it will be a quick order. (If it's any help, please send me a private message for more info.)

#2011438 - 01/08/13 09:08 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: DBill]
DBill Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
A question for Mike:

I’ve heard rumors that the Casio Celviano AP 650 will not be for sale through Internet stores such as musiciansfriend, kraftmusic, etc. Can you confirm this? Will I be able to buy a 650 without physically visiting a Casio dealer?

Note: The nearest Casio dealer is some 200 miles away from where I live. I’m also some 200 miles from the nearest Kawai dealer. A similar problem came up when I tried to buy a Kawai CN34 starting several weeks ago. You can’t negotiate a price with Kawai dealer unless you are physically standing in the store with a Kawai dealer. Kawai lost a sale because of this.

#2011443 - 01/08/13 09:11 PM Re: Casio Privia PX-350M [Re: DBill]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mike, is there a Casio dealer in South Jersey?- in the event in the future I would want a console and not want to assemble it myself.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

Page 21 of 22 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
73 registered (Akshay, beeboss, adanepst, ando, angelsong, 23 invisible), 1233 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249685 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission