2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 4 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
Hi,

This is my first post, no doubt there will be more following Christmas day and over the years to follow!

I've just purchased a heavily-discounted Casio AP-420 online as a "family" present from St Nic, and it was delivered this evening. To say I'd underestimated the size and weight of the container is an understatement of gargantuan proportions!!!

As I'd locked my family in the kitchen while the delivery was taking place, I had to act fast. I quickly opened the box and transferred the contents upstairs, where I quickly packed everything back into the box (somehow miraculously it all fitted back) and managed to hide it, not in its intended hiding space as it was way to large but hopefully my orders not to look under the large, box-shaped pile of sheets in the spare room will be obeyed!!!

My dilemma is this: after I'd re-boxed everything, and got it all hidden away, I suddenly realised that I couldn't remember seeing a power adaptor in the rush of carrying everything up the stairs before the 'Blues family managed to break out of the kitchen. Is the power adaptor in these "cleverly hidden" somewhere out of sight, where I wouldn't have seen it. Or should it have been in one of the empty cardboard space-fillers?

If anyone knows the answer it would be gratefully received - the last thing I want to do is put it together on Christmas eve and find there's a vital component missing that can't be sourced until after the holiday. I've tried searching YouTube for unboxing videos but no one seems to have gone down that route…the other option is of course to unbox it all again to make certain, this time I may wait until the family are out if I have to go down that route...

Many thanks in advance,

Nic

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Where's the power adapter for your TV? Inside the TV, of course!

Where's the power adapter for your piano? Inside the piano, of course!

Online Content
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Not necessarily. Some console-type DPs are beginning to use AC adaptors (instead of power cables), and according to the Casio website this is true of the AP-420:

AC Adaptor: AD-24

I cannot speak for Casio, however in the case of Kawai DPs, the AC adaptor is usually included in a separate box/bag, along with the owner's manual, any printed scorebooks, and the headphone hook.

The AC adaptor should have been visible when Nic was unpacking and repacking the main carton box, however if the instrument was heavily discounted on the grounds that it was a floor model, it's possible that someone at the store forgot to include it.

Perhaps the only way to be sure is to unpack the box again!

By the way, Nic, congrats on the new piano for your family! Christmas can be a truly magical time for children, especially when there are large packages, covered with sheets sitting in the spare room!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Sometimes things like AC adapters are in a slot in the Styrofoam. They can fit snugly and would not necessarily fall out. It is possible to pull Styrofoam pieces out and not notice them, especially if you are not methodical and examining everything carefully.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Not necessarily. Some console-type DPs are beginning to use AC adaptors (instead of power cables), and according to the Casio website this is true of the AP-420:

AC Adaptor: AD-24

I cannot speak for Casio, however in the case of Kawai DPs, the AC adaptor is usually included in a separate box/bag, along with the owner's manual, any printed scorebooks, and the headphone hook.

The AC adaptor should have been visible when Nic was unpacking and repacking the main carton box, however if the instrument was heavily discounted on the grounds that it was a floor model, it's possible that someone at the store forgot to include it.

Perhaps the only way to be sure is to unpack the box again!

By the way, Nic, congrats on the new piano for your family! Christmas can be a truly magical time for children, especially when there are large packages, covered with sheets sitting in the spare room!

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks for the replies.

James - believe me this was an unopened box, the tape on the outside was the original, and every layer of packing inside was meticulously placed...I think I got the price I did as the 450 has just recently come out.

I did see the manual (or rather, I remember it flopping about in its packaging as I was carrying it up the stairs, perhaps that distracted me from the power-pack...as you say I downloaded a PDF and it suggests it's an external block (ironically, similar to my TV's wink ). I'll wait until the clan have disappeared then unpack everything again and check.

I can't wait to see their faces on Christmas morning! I had hoped to keep it a complete surprise but given the weight and my James Bond-esque natural ability to destroy rather than create, I may enlist my Dad to help assemble it on Christmas Eve!

Many thanks once again,

Nic

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
My AP-620 plugs directly into the wall. No external power supply at all. i would imagine that the 420 would be the same. When you power it up for the first time, keep in mind that it takes about 30 seconds or so to boot itself up (or whatever the term is) so you won't get sounds right away.

I hope you enjoy it!

Lee
I thought that would be the case, too ... plug in, no external power supply. That's typical of console pianos.

But as KJ pointed out, above, the 420 does have an external supply. It's diagrammed in the user manual.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission