2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 193 of 540 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It is absolutely beautiful Allard. You probably won't sleep tonight, will you?

Christine

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard
Tomorrow! laugh

Wow!! Last year, when my 30 year old upright was to be delivered I couldn't sleep...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Can I be excited now?

(and poor)

You can Allard! What make is your lovely new piano?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by casinitaly

What are you pleased with this week?

I've been laid up in a ski lodge for a week, with a badly twisted knee.

They have a very nice piano, and if I'm not going to be able to work on ski technique at least I can work on piano technique.

So I spend a couple hours in the lounge yesterday trying to keep my repertoire groomed. As I'm closing up the piano, a woman approaches and hands me a $5 "tip".

I may have it framed. :P

That's nice re the tip! I hope your knee gets better soon.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam Rose

Thanks so much for that! The video was inspiring, and I think I'm going to push myself and record it in time for that deadline. I'd LOVE a trip to London! laugh

EDIT: It appears you have to live in the UK. Oh well. If I can get it done in time, I'll enter anyway.

It doesn't specify that but probably easier if one lives in Britain..enter it anyway Sam! I'd love it if a PW person won it!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GlassLove
Thanks for that clip, Edwardian. Very interesting. If you haven't read it already, you might like the book Piano Lessons by Noah Adams. It has a similar theme, although the piece he set out to play at the start of his journey (Schumann's Traumerei) was a little less daunting, to say the least.

Will have to see if the library can get it!

J
J
I've had a bit of a hiatus from consistent practicing. I had a crazy month of school in January, and I let it get the best of me instead of finding time to play.

But, I'm back in the swing of practice and weekly lessons again. As of today, I can play each major scale in parallel motion, hands together up to four octaves in 16ths (one octave in quarters, two in 8ths, three in triplets, etc). I'm really excited about this, because it took longer than I had hoped so it is very nice to be "done".

I also passed off a piece I've been working on for ages that isn't difficult but I just never could quite get it. But I did!

Next step is moving on from Baroque into Classical pieces, and going through each major scale to add hands together contrary motion ("Grand Scale" form), hands together arpeggios in 2+ octaves, and I-IV-V(V7)-I cadences. Going to be crazy but I'm ready for it!

A
A
Originally Posted by GlassLove
It is absolutely beautiful Allard. You probably won't sleep tonight, will you?

Originally Posted by torquenale
Wow!! Last year, when my 30 year old upright was to be delivered I couldn't sleep...

The thought just occurred to me. Sleep, nor get any work done until (nor after) it's delivered.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Wow, lots of posts tonight!

Ragdoll – I find that videos or recordings help me too. I can’t always evaluate what I’m doing while I’m playing. My teacher reassures me that this is normal and that I’ll get better at being able to do it. I want to believe him 

EdwardianPiano (I think I’d like to call you Eddie smile ) That was a great video – very inspirational. I’m very curious about the book. And hey! I’m not yet 56…there’s hope for me! (And as I get my books from Amazon UK I don’t have to wait for it!)

FarmGirl – loved what you wrote today – and I love your English. The errors you make in English, I compare to the errors I make in Italian. We do our best – but even though we’ve lived in our adopted countries for a long time, it is hard to get everything right! You are a great communicator though, and I always appreciate your posts.
SwissMS – celebrate and commiserate! Exactly – I think the majority of us here really do “get it”!!!

Eddie smile A whole hour! Woohoo! Were you tired? Did you play after you got your blinds? I find it interesting to go back to older pieces too. It makes me feel more accomplished !

GlassLove - It’s my pleasure! I had no idea when I started this thread that it would run for so long and develop such a great bunch of regular contributors. It is my favourite thread too, but I supposed I’m biased smile

WhizBang – sorry you are laid up with a bum leg on what I imagine is meant to be a lovely holiday –but how incredibly nifty to get a tip for your piano playing! I agree- frame it!

Saranoya – thanks so much for your insight as to why this thread is important to you – you brought up some wonderful points that I think are relevant to all of us. (And did you think our critic was talking about you? I thought he was talking about me! Lol…could have been one of several of us – but do we care? Nope!)

Allard, if you aren’t excited …what’s wrong with you? I’d be jumping out of my skin with giddy delight if that baby were coming home to me. I can’t wait to hear a recording of you playing it. I bet you won’t sleep tonight! What a fabulous deal!!!!

Sam Rose – if anyone here could get that Chopin piece together it would be you!

Torquenale – I had the first Czernyana too and as I said, I really liked it. I haven’t seen any of his other books though, and just the title “School of Velocity” terrifies me!

JaredM2012- that is a great accomplishment with the scales- and you’ll really find a stunning difference between the baroque and classical. Personally I’m not that thrilled with classical. Somehow playing classical pieces, I end up with too much tension. Other periods and genres just don’t create that stress in me. I will have to figure out why at some point I suppose!

I did some work on fine tuning my baroque piece tonight and I think I'm hearing a difference...but I'm too tired to judge properly.
We'll see how it goes tomorrow!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Have we all got piano fever LOL!! I've got Schumann fever currently- got an mp3 of the first movement of the A minor concerto and can't stop listening to it! It's wonderful.....

Jared- sounds like you are doing really well!

I find that videos or recordings help me too. I can’t always evaluate what I’m doing while I’m playing. My teacher reassures me that this is normal and that I’ll get better at being able to do it. I want to believe him 

You will you will- you are dedicated casinitaly!

EdwardianPiano (I think I’d like to call you Eddie smile ) That was a great video – very inspirational. I’m very curious about the book. And hey! I’m not yet 56…there’s hope for me! (And as I get my books from Amazon UK I don’t have to wait for it!)

Glad you liked it- he inspired me today to get on with the Handel- I think I'm getting better at it. Are you getting the book then? I will when I have the money.

Eddie smile A whole hour! Woohoo! Were you tired? Did you play after you got your blinds? I find it interesting to go back to older pieces too. It makes me feel more accomplished !

Yes, played a whole hour after I came back from the blinds shop. The blinds are not up though ( got one from same shop for my kitchen yesterday)- I'm not tall enough to put them up and hopeless at that sort of thing- will have to ask someone to help me.

Funny, no, I wasn't tired. I could have played on but had dinner to make. I plan to do another hour tomorrow whilst I wait for the veg man to come. My friend is coming later on tomorrow as we are going out to a Verdi concert early evening. It will be a musical day!

I realised I really need an hour a day on Piano to progress. I am going to aim for this from now on.

Sam Rose – if anyone here could get that Chopin piece together it would be you!

Hear hear!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Allard,

That's awesome. Congratulations. There really is no better feeling than sitting down to your newly purchased grand piano.
Enjoy!!!

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
JaredM2012- that is a great accomplishment with the scales- and you’ll really find a stunning difference between the baroque and classical. Personally I’m not that thrilled with classical. Somehow playing classical pieces, I end up with too much tension. Other periods and genres just don’t create that stress in me. I will have to figure out why at some point I suppose!

Thanks! I'm really stoked about the scales, but the work doesn't end there!

I too think I won't be thrilled with Classical. I've liked Baroque so far, but I'm ready to expand a bit so I don't get tired of it. I'll revisit it in the nearish future as I get better to learn some more complext pieces (inventions, etc). But Classical-era music never was a favorite of mine, but maybe I'll like it! I just can't wait until I get to Romantic and Contemporary music!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Classic!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
[Linked Image]

Can I be excited now?

(and poor)

Sure! I used to touch my piano all the time when I got it.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Saranoya – thanks so much for your insight as to why this thread is important to you – you brought up some wonderful points that I think are relevant to all of us. (And did you think our critic was talking about you? I thought he was talking about me! Lol…could have been one of several of us – but do we care? Nope!)

Nope. I'm positive that he was talking about you; but as you say, he was way off the mark with that 'one particular contributor' remark, because it could just as easily have been me, or FarmGirl, or any number of other consistently supportive contributors to this thread. That was the point I was trying, but apparently failing, to make (also, that your input here is about as far from 'worthless' as it could possibly get).

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
W
W
I've been watching this thread for a couple of days and it seems there's a critic lurking? Any who, I just played Eine Kleine Nachtmusik without an error! This maybe the piece I play at Spring Recital!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Jim- where do you manage to find this stuff? You always give us a good chuckle with your little treasures!

Warlock - If you already have your piece under your fingertips now, by Spring Recital you'll have it beautifully polished and ready to present. Did you mean the ABF recital or one at your school --- or both?

Sayonara: I think I was the one who was mixed up, and thanks for your kind words.

I woke up this morning, opened the shutters and what do I see...... snow. bah humbug.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Warlock - note perfect is not an easy thing to do. I think I will have Accuracy one of the next year's goal.

JareM2012 - How about Heller? He is a classical composer but influenced romantic composers. I heard 24 melodious studies. They are very beautifull. You won't feel like playing a classical.

Cheryl, didn't work on Heller's piece?
Thank you rveryone for your kind words for my English. Believe it or not the forum is helping me to improve my writing.

I have worked on my Bach pieces today. I can play through both prelude and fugue but cannot memorize. My teacher asked me to play in the community college students recital as a guest. It's going to be in one of the auditorium = big stage with audience. Its kinda scary but I'm very excited. I would like to polish my Brahms piece and Bach prelude and fugue. The date is March 6.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Allard, what a beauty you got! While attending my very first piano concerto last Sunday (Rachmaninoff's 2 played on a huuuuuge Steinway) I suddenly decided that when I will upgrade to an acoustic, it won't be an upright, it will have to be a baby grand. Then I had a look at prices and well... not sure anymore laugh

Page 193 of 540 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission