Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1992080 - 11/28/12 06:01 PM really stupid questions about transcription
dsch Offline

Loc: florida
I am ashamed to be asking this but I never knew.

I've been asked to accompany an E flat alto sax player and he pointed out that his score does not show the same notes as the full score.

As a former flute player this was surprising to me--my notes were always the same as in the accompanist scores. My questions are

1. Why do some instruments have shifted notes?

and

2. Where can I find classical transcriptions of nice sonatas or lieder so that we can play more than what is widely published for his instrument? I am really more of a Beethoven/Schubert person so I'd like to do that sort of thing with him.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1992086 - 11/28/12 06:19 PM Re: really stupid questions about transcription [Re: dsch]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
A flute is pitched in C (although a piccolo is in D), and so its music is sounds as written. An E-flat saxophone is pitched so that its C sounds E-flat, so its music is transposed. These are conventions that arose from natural instruments, mainly brass without valves, and because music was written that way, and it was too difficult to write them out again, they have been universally adopted.

Most people who play transposing instruments learn to play in a variety of keys. So you can always tell your horn player he has to learn to do that. Of course, you can learn to transpose on the piano, which is a good skill to learn. But a lot of music has been transposed. You just have to look for it.

#1992110 - 11/28/12 07:22 PM Re: really stupid questions about transcription [Re: dsch]
dsch Offline

Loc: florida
Thanks. It's been 30-something years since I was in band.

So you are telling me that if I want Im Dorfe, I'll have to transcribe the solo part by myself? Blech.

#1992121 - 11/28/12 07:54 PM Re: really stupid questions about transcription [Re: dsch]
BDB Offline

I do not know. There are catalogs of music that might tell you if a particular piece is available in a suitable transposition.

#1992128 - 11/28/12 08:18 PM Re: really stupid questions about transcription [Re: dsch]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I need to correct something here.

Transcription is rewriting music to be performed on an instrument (or instruments) for which it was not originally composed. An example would be a string quartet played by a wind quartet.

Transposition is playing in a different key than was originally composed. An example would be the changing of the written key to accomodate the particular range of a vocalist. The use of a phrase such as "take it down a step" would be transposition.

It gets confusing when instruments are sounding pitches which do not conform to the tonal center of the written key in the conductor/piano score. As was mentioned, this is due to the historic evolution of various instruments. Clarinet in Bb and Horn in F are the most common examples.

BTW - Piccolo was never in D. Some old piccolos were voiced in Db and haven't been built for generations. They are now in C, as is the flute, but sound an octave higher than the flute using the same notation.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1992132 - 11/28/12 08:25 PM Re: really stupid questions about transcription [Re: dsch]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
There are a lot of famous pieces for various instruments (like violin, trumpet, etc.) that have been transcribed/arranged for saxophone and other wind instruments. It would be easier to search for these first before attempting to transcribe the solo and/or accompaniment part yourself.

One problem you will probably come across is that the range for one instrument or voice may be out of range for your target instrument. So retaining a piano part (in C) and transposing the solo for E-flat could put the melody line too high or too low for the alto saxophone. Not to mention the transcribed solo part may be awkward for that particular instrument and could possibly work better at different registers.

More often its the pianist who is required to transpose their part rather than the soloist. I think you would hard pressed to find a wind player would could easily transpose a melody up a third etc. (there are exceptions I'm sure). Also for the reasons above requiring the soloist to transpose wouldn't always be very practical.

I think the best place to start looking would be a music store. I don't know what you would find online. On the other hand you could learn a lot working out your own transcriptions.

#1992136 - 11/28/12 08:41 PM Re: really stupid questions about transcription [Re: dsch]
BDB Offline

Well, I have plenty of band music lying around with piccolo parts in D-flat, including some I bought recently. The notation is still used.

#1992148 - 11/28/12 08:58 PM Re: really stupid questions about transcription [Re: dsch]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
BDB -

There is plenty of music published with notation for piccolo in Db. However, that is a remnant from the turn of the 19th century and into the 20th. My point was that the piccolo was never pitched in D. When playing from music of the era, the modern piccolo player will simply transpose for the contemporary piccolo.

It is interesting to note that the famous piccolo solo from "Stars and Stripes" is much less of a finger twister on a Db piccolo than it is on a C instrument.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1992162 - 11/28/12 09:33 PM Re: really stupid questions about transcription [Re: dsch]
jmcintyre Offline

Loc: Wash. DC area
The sixth Bach flute sonata (BWV 1035, E Major) works pretty well for alto sax. The solo part is played as written, and the accompaniment is transposed up a minor third. I performed this in college (on sax) and if I remember correctly the printed music was available for purchase so you don't have to go through the work of transposing it. If you're interested and can't locate it, PM me.
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5

#1992215 - 11/29/12 12:02 AM Re: really stupid questions about transcription [Re: dsch]
BDB Offline

I was writing off the top of my head. I do not play a band instrument, so it did not sink into my mind that the piccolo parts were D-flat, rather than D. I stand corrected, it is D-flat, but piccolo parts are still transposed for a D-flat instrument, rather than C.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (anotherscott, AmateurBob, Abby Pianoman, ABC Vermonter, Acevle, 36 invisible), 1676 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156313 Topics
2295734 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
07/31/14 06:05 PM
Transcribing Music
by Tigero
07/31/14 05:31 PM
Yamaha P-105 or the Casio PRIVIA px-135?
by Acevle
07/31/14 05:30 PM
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
07/31/14 03:57 PM
Digital Piano for a Musical
by well23
07/31/14 03:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission