Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1992133 - 11/28/12 08:27 PM Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
One of my all time favourite Rachmaninoff pieces

#1992137 - 11/28/12 08:41 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Beautiful piece beautifully played.

#1992347 - 11/29/12 10:21 AM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Wonderful!

Thank you!

#1992428 - 11/29/12 01:38 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
This is why I don't post recordings. wink Very nicely done.

#1992593 - 11/29/12 08:58 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I guess my one comment in this listening is that Rachmaninoff has certainly been ill-served in being evaluated on some of his most popular works -- to name names, the C# Minor Prelude, the G Minor Prelude, and Polichinelle. To me, they represent Rachmaninoff at his worst. It is so nice to hear some of the subtle modulations and complex developmental ideas realized in his "Picture Etudes", which to me is Rachmaninoff at his most secretive, and in his best element. Thanks for sharing this!

#1992650 - 11/30/12 01:05 AM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
At first, I was going to say, "So, quit playing Beethoven, and keep playing Rachmaninoff." But then, I thought I'd better say, "Hey, debrucey~~How 'bout some Debussy?"

Well???

#1992652 - 11/30/12 01:07 AM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I don't think they represent Rachmaninoff at his worst, but I feel that they are a bit more simplistic than many of his other pieces.

#1992714 - 11/30/12 07:34 AM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I would say the C# minor is more vulgar and bombastic in an almost Lisztian sort of way. Still a good piece, but clearly the work of a young headstrong composer with more inspiration than experience or technique. The Op. 39 etudes represent him at the height of his refinement and subtlety as a composer.

#1992804 - 11/30/12 12:35 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: debrucey
I would say the C# minor is more vulgar and bombastic in an almost Lisztian sort of way. Still a good piece, but clearly the work of a young headstrong composer with more inspiration than experience or technique. The Op. 39 etudes represent him at the height of his refinement and subtlety as a composer.

I agree - except for the "vulgar" part. grin

Unfortunately the C# minor is in the same company as Fur Elise, Fantaisie-Impromptu, Rondo alla Turca, Clair de Lune, and Moonlight 1st movement in that it is played to death (and usually quite ineptly) by beginning/intermediate students who have no business attempting it at all. And I speak from experience having been one of those students who banged through the piece as a youngster. crazy

Beautiful playing of the Opus 39 No. 8. You're raising the bar for all of us here !!!! thumb

#1992960 - 11/30/12 06:46 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I mean vulgar in the best possible sense haha. If by vulgar one means the opposite of subtle and refined I can't think of a better way of describing the C# minor prelude. But that's exactly what I like about it.

I also ineptly banged through the piece as a youngster, as can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlTizQWDR3M (aged 16, now hidden from my channel hehe). I performed it in the same concert as the Etude and the Chopin Ballade this tuesday, but unfortunately I didn't have the chance to record it. It would have been interesting to compare my old and current performance of it.

#1992962 - 11/30/12 06:48 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: carey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: carey

Beautiful playing of the Opus 39 No. 8. You're raising the bar for all of us here !!!! thumb

Thank you for saying so. I do hope however that I'm not, as Derelux claims, dissuading other people from posting their performances here.

#1992966 - 11/30/12 07:19 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]

In the right hands, even the hackneyed C# minor prelude can sound sensational:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtuMVBLEWJU

Not Rachmaninov's greatest work, but IMO far from a weak work as some have suggested.

#1992973 - 11/30/12 07:45 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm definitely not suggesting it's weak.

#1992977 - 11/30/12 07:56 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]

I'm definitely not suggesting it's weak.
I was thinking of another poster's comment earlier in the thread.

#1992984 - 11/30/12 08:27 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ah I see. Well, I still think it's far from his strongest.

#1993207 - 12/01/12 01:22 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC

Thank you for saying so. I do hope however that I'm not, as Derelux claims, dissuading other people from posting their performances here.

Well, yes, maybe you are. I guess - for me - the reality is that I'd rather listen to and admire your performances than read critiques of mine! smile

Regards,

#1993758 - 12/02/12 04:35 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Shame, I'd like to hear yours.

#1993954 - 12/03/12 01:44 AM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Very good - thanks for uploading it.

It's a Rach favorite of mine, too, but I have to say that I've always been a bit mystified about the musical intent of the staccato sections.

#1993957 - 12/03/12 02:05 AM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: BruceD]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: BruceD

Well, yes, maybe you are. I guess - for me - the reality is that I'd rather listen to and admire your performances than read critiques of mine! smile

Regards,
Bruce,

I think that this is the first time (or perhaps one of the VERY few) that I disagree with you completely!

First of all, I should say that it's your performance and eventually there isn't a "right" or "wrong" thing to do! You are free to do whatever you please and nobody should complain!

That said, I'd like to ask you why. I see what you mean and what you wrote, but that's hardly enough in my own mind. Perhaps I'm in a different position than you, but it remains that if one was to compare to what others do, nobody would ever post really (since there are thousands (millions?) of amazing recordings found on the Internet. I mean now it's Debrucey, but if it wasn't for him, it would be someone else, reaching up to Martha.

We can't have that now, can we? Pianoworld is a very civil place (with the rare exceptions), and moreover people know each other quite well somehow. You have a teacher, as far as I know, and you place your trust in him and what he does and shows you. You perform for him. (her?). So why not here?

Anyhow, this is something that while aimed at Bruce applies to lots of other people I think. and it's NOT personal at all. As I said in the beginning it's understandable and makes sense and it's within his rights. But I do think there's room for some discussion here.

Debrucey, Sorry for derailing your thread a little bit.

I think that you performance is stellar (and so is the recording, btw. I'm glad that you have access to such wonderful recording facility (and envious as well).

While listening (and typing this) I feel that you have great control over what you do. When watching I feel that you're not moving according to the music (but that's just me and what I'm used in doing and watching).

To others that know this work a little better: Do you feel that some extra rubato and ritenuti would be appropriate? Just wondering here.

Nothing can take from the fact that this is a great recording and a great performance!

#1993964 - 12/03/12 02:49 AM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

There are certainly a few written in ralls and accels I could make more of.

#1994036 - 12/03/12 08:56 AM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: wr]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

wr, the passages you're referring to do make musical sense to me, but not as a "sharp" staccato -- it would be more like a "half-staccato", and is intended to give a "scampering", playful quality to material previously introduced as smooth and lyrical. It's a device I've seen in a number of Rachmaninoff compositions, and I think it adds to the charm.

#1994053 - 12/03/12 10:01 AM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: debrucey]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

That section is marked 'scherzando'.

#1994130 - 12/03/12 12:35 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: BruceD]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: BruceD

Regards,

I was being quasi-facetious, but certainly Bruce's comment not only cracked me up, but also rang with some truth. Well-played and well-said, sir. laugh

#1994311 - 12/03/12 07:34 PM Re: Rachmaninoff - Etude-Tableau in D minor, Op. 39 No. 8 [Re: Tim Adrianson]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
wr, the passages you're referring to do make musical sense to me, but not as a "sharp" staccato -- it would be more like a "half-staccato", and is intended to give a "scampering", playful quality to material previously introduced as smooth and lyrical. It's a device I've seen in a number of Rachmaninoff compositions, and I think it adds to the charm.

Yes, I understand all that, but somehow it still doesn't work for me. Since it's sort of a blind spot for me, I don't really understand why - that's the nature of blind spots. But I keep hoping that someday it will "click" - even listening to this performance and having a little discussion about it helps, I think. I suspect that I take the entire piece as being heavier in content that it should be, which throws it all out of whack.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is it really necessary to practice scales?
by rov
7 minutes 14 seconds ago
Connect virtual piano to a loopstation?
by Fannix-kun
51 minutes 28 seconds ago
Happy Birthday Charles Ives!!
by Dfrankjazz
Today at 01:11 PM
False beating and unison tuning
by SMHaley
Today at 12:41 PM
Erard/Linke - Obtaining info from Museum of Music - France
by wdmcjrd
Today at 11:59 AM
Who's Online
151 registered (anamnesis, Anne'sson, accordeur, ajames, 36251, 46 invisible), 1798 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76594 Members
42 Forums
158381 Topics
2325703 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission