Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1992259 - 11/29/12 04:58 AM Bad practicing
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
If anyone want to learn how to practice badly and inefficiently, you may ask me. I think I have made all possible mistakes in the process of learning how to play the piano.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1992261 - 11/29/12 05:06 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Surely not ALL possible mistakes smile But then.. if you have made all of them, that means you should be able to avoid them now smile

Sounds like you might be feeling frustrated today?
Cheer up! It's almost the weekend and you'll be able to practice a lot - with or without mistakes smile

#1992276 - 11/29/12 06:18 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: casinitaly]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Surely not ALL possible mistakes smile But then.. if you have made all of them, that means you should be able to avoid them now smile

Sounds like you might be feeling frustrated today?
Cheer up! It's almost the weekend and you'll be able to practice a lot - with or without mistakes smile

Exactly! I believe I have learnt something from my mistakes. Just a pity that I have spent so much time doing things the wrong way.

#1992277 - 11/29/12 06:29 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Immunization shots. Been there, done that. You get a free map of potholes to steer clear of. These are lemons that can give you fantastic lemonade once you get the sour taste out of your mouth. wink

#1992280 - 11/29/12 06:45 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I believe my resume might give you a run for your money. wink

#1992283 - 11/29/12 07:18 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Reminds me of an old (American) football story...

Quarterback: "I think I'm making really good progress, I never make the same mistake twice."

Coach: "Sure, but the problem is that you keep dreaming up new ones!"
grin

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1992303 - 11/29/12 08:17 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I was tortured this week by my daughter practicing a chromatic scale on the clarinet prior to an audition for the county band. Going up was reasonable, coming back down was pretty bad.

Of course, I told her to forget about practicing going up; just start from the top note and come down. Fix that first.

Of course she couldn't, wouldn't shouldn't, didn't. It was "too hard" to start at the top note. Of course she wouldn't listen to reason - that was precisely why she had the problem coming down the scale. Sigh.

Drove me bananas. Eventually I left her to it with the words, "practicing the same mistake time and time again isn't practice" but I don't think she understood.

P.S. She admitted to me that she "pretty much messed up that scale" in the audition itself. Duh, wonder why ...

Gripe over, thanks for providing a good thread for it!

Kawai K3

#1992317 - 11/29/12 08:58 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
But we humans tend to learn best when we screw up. Being told "you're going to want to do this here because you will most likely mess this up" rarely works. I've tried that tactic with students, knowing that they will make a particular mistake in their practice, to no avail. Now, I guide them through a piece, but let them discover the tricky spots on their own and help them learn how to practice those areas to fix them. Works better that way. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1992345 - 11/29/12 10:11 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
If anyone want to learn how to practice badly and inefficiently, you may ask me. I think I have made all possible mistakes in the process of learning how to play the piano.

I assume you started without a teacher...if so, this is why its good to start with a teacher to get students in the right direction. Even then its not easy.

#1992355 - 11/29/12 10:46 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Mark...]

Originally Posted By: Mark...

I assume you started without a teacher...if so, this is why its good to start with a teacher to get students in the right direction. Even then its not easy.

Gandalf might have. However, not all teachers guide their students in practising itself. For example, they may assign a piece, and the student comes back with mistakes, and the teacher points out the mistakes that have to be fixed, but without finding out what is causing those mistakes. That goes into "how to practice". A good teacher will get into that side of it.

Here is an example: Starting a piece in the beginning, stopping where you have a problem, and starting at the beginning again. The results: The first part of the piece will sound good, and the further along you get, the more mistakes will be there. A weaker teacher will point out the mistakes. An astute teacher will ask whether you practised in that manner (it's common) and direct you to practise differently.

Along the same lines, a teacher may ask a student to practise say 40 minutes/day. Spending that amount of time badly (as above) means the student will really entrench mistakes by repeating them that often. HOW to practice is an important element, as opposed to "how long" or "how often".

Edited by keystring (11/29/12 10:47 AM)

#1992369 - 11/29/12 11:21 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

I started playing the pump organ when I was a kid, and then I was instructed by the local church organist who wasn't professional. At age 16 I got a piano in the house and started playing without any instruction. I had a feeling that I made really fast progress, but actually I tought myself lots of bad habits. Getting rid of them took me 40 years (possibly still some of them remain).
Of course I'm familiar with the "method" of starting at the beginning and play until problems occur. Very stupid, actually....

#1992371 - 11/29/12 11:27 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]

Of course I'm familiar with the "method" of starting at the beginning and play until problems occur. Very stupid, actually....

This was addressing the assumption that you never had a teacher, because not all teachers teach good practising habits. I grabbed the most obvious thing I could think of.

#1992539 - 11/29/12 06:15 PM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Don't worry Ganddalf- I make loads of mistakes- but am learning when I am making them! I see you are Norwegian by the way- you write excellent English. It's a country I'd love to visit- looks beautiful by the photos I've seen.

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1992597 - 11/29/12 09:04 PM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
Bluoh Offline

How dare you make me smile! Piano is a serious subject matter and smiling or moving the cheeks in any way is strictly prohibited...

On another note, you must be a very learned pianist-- you learn from each of your mistakes, so the more mistakes you make, the more you learn. wink

#1992756 - 11/30/12 10:09 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
Don't worry Ganddalf- I make loads of mistakes- but am learning when I am making them! I see you are Norwegian by the way- you write excellent English. It's a country I'd love to visit- looks beautiful by the photos I've seen.

You should absolutely make a trip to Norway. After all it isn't too far away from the UK. I recommend the time of the apple blossom in Hardanger. smile

#1992769 - 11/30/12 10:33 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
One day Ganddalf I hope so! I have just had a little piano practise cos my teacher is coming at 5pm. I am quite pleased because I played the next peice in Alfdred's- Alouette which is the next one I think he will give me. I played it almost straight off. I did the left hand chords first then played left and right hands together. I know the timing isn't quite right but teacher can help me with that. I think I played the right notes, we shall see! I also found the scales of E and B major by ear ( he hasn't showed me them yet). Knowing me I will fluff it all up when he comes LOL.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/30/12 10:33 AM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1994464 - 12/04/12 04:58 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
Teodor Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria

That's good because now you now you are doing it wrong. And you are not alone. I find myself wasting time in "bad practice" almost every day. I was very frustrated last week after my lesson because I did not do what my teacher asked me to do and she said that if I continue like this I will never play good.

It was very musical and sounded ok but my hands are now like glued to the keyboard, some fingers keeping their position over the last pressed key even though I am not pressing it anymore. Problems working pieces up to tempo that come as a result from slow reactions and failure to incorporate helpful movements.

The more I play the more problems I notice I have with piano which is good because I know what they are and they can be addressed.

Recitals:

#1994468 - 12/04/12 05:04 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Ganddalf, it would be very useful to know exactly what you think you have done wrong, so we can avoid that wink

#1994538 - 12/04/12 09:05 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: sinophilia]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
Ganddalf, it would be very useful to know exactly what you think you have done wrong, so we can avoid that wink

I can confess my sins, of course.

First of all, the underlying reason is perhaps that I had very little instruction by qualified teachers. I started very young with the pump organ, and then I was the first (and probably only) pupil of the local organist in a small country church. In spite of this I picked up some basics, particularly music theory and learnt the correct fingering of the most common scales. When I was 16 my family sold the pump organ and bought a piano. I started playing on my own, and had the impression that I developed very quickly, and somehow got a feeling I was some kind of prodigy or musical genious, not needing instruction by anyone. Unfortunately neither my family nor my friends ever critisised my playing, and therefore I kept my illusion for quite a while.

In other words, I was allowed to do a lot of bad things, and although I learnt several quite difficult pieces I never learnt to play them well, but just good enough for people to recognise them. In other words - I did a lot of inefficient practicing.

One very serious mistake was selecting pieces far too difficult. Of course it was nonsense for a person like me to practice Liszt's "La Campanella", but I did.

Another mistake I did, was playing too fast when practicing. I considered speed more important than precision, and thought that if I practiced at high speed a sufficient number of times I would eventually learn the pieces. What I actually did was to practice lots of mistakes, and getting rid of them later turned out to be very difficult.

I also was very careless about fingering, and could use different fingering every time I "played" through the music. Such a way of practicing is probably the least efficient of all.

Covering inaccuracies with the pedal was another very bad habit of mine. In this way I could run rapidly over details and fool myself (and possibly some unqualified listeners) to believe that I was mastering the music.

Gradually I realised that I was on the wrong track. I think I can say that it took be 3 - 4 years to develop the bad habits, and 30 - 40 years to get rid of at least some of them. Presently I don't have the time and capacity to visit a teacher, but if I ever have the opportunity I'll start getting some instruction. Meanwhile I try to be focused when I practice, listen to myself and be very critical about the small details.

#1994541 - 12/04/12 09:18 AM Re: Bad practicing [Re: Ganddalf]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Thank you! It looks like you were a bit too young to be able to listen to yourself and judge your own playing and practicing methods. With regard to this (and only to this!) I'm glad I started much later in life and with such a huge amount of good advice freely available on the Internet.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, 88 Fingers Jeff, 45 invisible), 1799 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75506 Members
42 Forums
156137 Topics
2292832 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OK so a 700 pound grand piano walks into my house and...
by BrianDX
9 minutes 3 seconds ago
Digital Piano Sufficient for a Newbie?
by DancerJ
28 minutes 31 seconds ago
E.Tubin - "Ballade on a theme of Mart Saar"
by Svenno
37 minutes 10 seconds ago
What key signature are you?
by Saranoya
37 minutes 59 seconds ago
The Princess: from Waltz of the Asparagus People
by Piano World
42 minutes 21 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission