2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 233 of 540 1 2 231 232 233 234 235 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Achievement today:

Finally I learned the last bit of nocturne c-sharp minor.

I made a chord map with colors to hopefully understand more about chord progression and chord modulation (I dont understand much right now).

Made my first post in the photo gallery forum and now I'm testing it:

[Linked Image]

Ok, it works. smile

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Gorgeous! What do the colours mean?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
A few corrections in the minor chart:

II should be ii°, with diminished chords.

The final column should either be VII (major) built on the seventh note of the natural minor scale: Bb in C minor, B in C# minor, etc. Or it should be vii° (diminished) built on the seventh note of the harmonic minor scale: Bdim in C minor, B#dim in C# minor, etc.

Check some of the triads against notes in the key to verify this.

In minor keys, the v chord is frequently replaced with V, using the raised leading tone from the harmonic minor scale.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
(Colours in image: each color represent a chord, so you can see how a chord is represented in a different key. For instance key C major dominant chord is the same as key G major tonic chord.)

Thank you for corrections pianostudent! I'll have to study your answer though. It's at the rim of my understanding right now.

I'm aware its still full of errors, but hopefully when I correct them all and double check them, I will understand more about chord modulation, heh.

Chris

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Paperclip - what a great way to see patterns! Very neat.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by PaperClip
Achievement today:

I made a chord map with colors to hopefully understand more about chord progression and chord modulation (I dont understand much right now).

[Linked Image]

Ok, it works. smile

And is very pretty! But what does it tell us? That a diatonic triad built on D occurs in many keys? Sorry to throw cold water, but what do you understand after making this chart that you didn't understand before?

Well done on the Nocturne though!

Last edited by Exalted Wombat; 05/30/13 04:26 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat

And is very pretty! But what does it tell us? That a diatonic triad built on D occurs in many keys? Sorry to throw cold water, but what do you understand after making this chart that you didn't understand before?

Well done on the Nocturne though!

Thanks!

Well, it's sort of a mind map. Correcting all the errors in it, will result in at least a correct mindmap. In that way it's a practise thingy.

But I would also like to compose a chord progression and modulation by myself. The colors let me easily find to which key I could modulate. Then find the next chord and modulate again.

So in key of C major: I-IV-V-I, I could make it longer like:

I(key C major) - IV(key C major)=I(key F major) - V(key F major)..........V(key C major) - I(key C major)

Then I could play it on the piano and hear how it sounds. The colors let me make and find new combinations and try them out. I think I need to hear and experiment chord progression and modulation to understand what it does to my ears.

Now I can explore that, before I figure out how the circle of fifths works. I just need sound. Sort of a cheat sheet, heh.

Chris

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
PaperClip... I like your grid there.

Check out "The Chord Wheel", which is both a book and an iPhone app, but you can get a lot out of it just by looking at an image from a Google search. It's based on the Circle of Fifths, and shows what you are trying to get at but in a more spatially oriented fashion.

For instance, in your example above, the V of F is just C anyway, so you haven't modulated off of C. I'm sure it's just a dashed off example, so I don't mean that as a critique, but The Chord Wheel will let you see at a glance which chords are in the same general neighborhood and their function in each key. It's great for analyzing chord progressions of songs/pieces as well.

I do like your color system better though... it lets you see the commonalities more readily.

EW - as with all such visualizations, there is no new data, but a new way to access and grasp the data. Of course most of us know Dmaj triad is in many keys... but which ones? I'd venture to say that most of us don't know this off the top of our heads.

Lemme try to work it out with Cmaj triad, away from the piano and not looking above... C, G, F? I'm not really sure without looking.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the tip, tallguy!

I downloaded the chord wheel image. It seems a good idea to have a lot of perspectives. The coin may eventually fall.

The coin is a bit sticky due bubblegum, so my head probably needs some more jamming against the wall before my lightbulb is switched on. grin

Chris

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I like the colors and the chart, too. The circle of fifths was an early eye-opener for me, but I've taught (not piano) a long time and there are people for whom the colors would make a lot more sense. It was always amazing to me the way the light turned on for different people, and fascinating to watch them sort things out in their own ways. And just the process of sorting it out in their own way, in addition to trying to figure out the way somebody else sorted it, helped all of us to understand it better. So I think this is a super chart smile

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I'm back here again looking at the chart, admiring it and thinking about the relationships it shows. I agree with jotur that figuring out things in your own way, and thinking about them in multiple ways, are great activities.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Achievement today:

[Linked Image]

Ok, it works. smile

I think this is worthy of its own thread. Really.

Would you mind posting a PDF or some other full size file? I tried to print it but this small image didn't come out so well.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with Cathy and Pianostudent. Playing with concepts adds to the learning process and it's fun to do. Hence the word playing.

I've put a link to a pdf file: here

After I correct the errors, I will put it in a own topic.

Chris

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I missed writing in last week. What I was thrilled about then was to figure out how to record myself on the disklavier . I found an old recording , at least two years ago, of my son playing.He' a music grad and still performs round the Boulder CO area. It was wonderful to know that music gene continues through the generations and he does a whole lot better than me!
I heard how much I hesitate so will work on being more consistent with timing. It really is a 'reality' check to listen to yourself! I will admit to having a war with the metronome and always listen to the one in my head instead.
This week so far I am thrilled with myself for playing Bach #2 book1 of WTC through not just 5, or 7 times but 10 - consecutively correctly! I feel as if I have tamed the beast!

Question - what do the little piano symbols indicate after people's signatures?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
A medal indicates participation in a Quarterly ABF recital. A little piano indcates performing in a recital in ones real life.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Not piano related (well, not completely) but my teacher has asked me to write a letter of recommendation for her as part of her Greencard application under the "person of extraordinary ability" rules. Kind of nice!

On the actually playing side, I have added a new piece to my learning list. It's another Bach Invention - number 14 in Bb. I still need to "finish" the E major one ... and by finish I mean get a recording for an ABF recital of course!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree with Cathy and Pianostudent. Playing with concepts adds to the learning process and it's fun to do. Hence the word playing.

I've put a link to a pdf file: here

After I correct the errors, I will put it in a own topic.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
B
B
Finally finished my first recording to my acceptance, albeit with a few mistakes.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
when are we going to hear/see it Barnie?

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
T
I became so obsessed with making this week's piece really good beause I had been so lazy with it all lately... That now I can literally play it with my eyes closed. I don't have a lesson for another 2 weeks though, so I'm just going to carry on doing stuff on my own.

Last edited by Toastie; 05/31/13 07:24 AM.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
Page 233 of 540 1 2 231 232 233 234 235 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission