Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 112 of 238 < 1 2 ... 110 111 112 113 114 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#1997738 - 12/11/12 05:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Casinintaly - congratulations on your 3000+ post. And - thanks to your attention to AOTW. This thread is so interesting and helpful, and you are always so encouraging to everyone!

Andy - Good for you for getting through your adult recital with Bach refusing to cooperate. It sounds like your other pieces went very well.

TallGuy - The touch typing similarity to piano is interesting. I am still looking for the back space key on the piano though. I seem to use it a lot on the computer.

MaryBee - congratulations on getting an approval from your teacher on the Chopin Waltz in C# minor. It is quite challenging! I am still trying to get it right.

FarmGirl- Welcome Back!

This has been a steady "recovery" week for me. I have discovered a new problem. When I play faster, especially on the Bach, my 4th finger on my RH over curls and collapses. Apparently it is still a lot weaker than I thought. So, my teacher has given me a couple of etudes to work on to help the 4th and 5th fingers.

Trying to record the Chopin Waltz just proved that I am not there with it yet. Oh well. It is memorized, but is does not sound the way I want it to. My teacher had lots of critique of what needs to be done.

So it is another one step forward two steps back week!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1998099 - 12/11/12 11:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
My AOTW is that I found out I could hit a ninth--the notes A, D#, and B--with my right hand. I have to take the B on the front edge of the key with my pinky, but it works. That particular chord (A,D#,B) is probably the easiest one to do, but I'll take it anyway. smile

CAS, wow, 3000 posts! And they aren't gimmes, either. If you counted by total number of words, you'd be right up there on PW.

#1998383 - 12/12/12 01:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bobby smith Offline

Loc: Carlsbad Ca
I practiced everyday for over a week straight. I finally sat down at the piano for the 1st time in months.

Feels good.

Bobby

#1999158 - 12/13/12 09:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I went to my teacher's recital last night!

#1999236 - 12/14/12 01:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
I bought a digi piano after faffing around with other hobbies for years!!! I got into piano 5 years ago or so, but only played for one year and then life took over. Put down the money (significant amount for me) for a Kawai CL-36, and loving every bit of it. Did a lot of research and came out with the right deal I think. I have the opposite of buyer's regret!

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#1999277 - 12/14/12 06:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: floydthebarber71]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
This is not so much an accomplishment as just plain fun. Once a week I go to a piano store in Zürich that has soundproofed piano rooms for rent at a very reasonable price. No one was there except me yesterday morning, so I tried out all four piano rooms and played four different pianos: a yamaha 7 ft grand, a Bosendorfer upright, a Boston baby grand, and a Bechstein upright. Each has a distinctively different feel and sound. I played my three pieces on each and it was really instructive to adjust the pieces to each piano. I had a blast!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#1999300 - 12/14/12 07:53 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nice! Sounds like a ton of fun, and an interesting learning experience.

I've played on half a dozen no-name pianos in varying states of deplorable repair. They were all different too. smile

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1999304 - 12/14/12 08:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: floydthebarber71]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: floydthebarber71
I bought a digi piano after faffing around with other hobbies for years!!! I got into piano 5 years ago or so, but only played for one year and then life took over. Put down the money (significant amount for me) for a Kawai CL-36, and loving every bit of it. Did a lot of research and came out with the right deal I think. I have the opposite of buyer's regret!
Congrats. Sounds like a great thing for you!

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1999308 - 12/14/12 08:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Just want to check in with all of you. I haven't felt any particular "achievement" but then I have trouble keeping that concept in proportion to the micro-achievements that make up the big moves. This one is probably worth sharing however. On Dec 1 the Denver PW group had a piano party starting at one home with an 8' Bluthner and yummy food and then driving for the 2nd half to a home with a 1917 Steinway O. Between the two places I played 6 pieces most of the ones that I'm polishing for the level 5 exam (if I ever get the technical skills down). Although my hands were shaky through the Mozart I kept it moving and my encouraging audience gave me good reviews. I have been enjoying that sense of approval almost two weeks now. Praise really feels good.

Congrats Casinitaly for 3000 posts...you have been such a support to us. A shout out to all of you working on scales...I'm with you

Love to learn

#1999314 - 12/14/12 08:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PianoPraise Offline

Playing a duet of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" with my teacher after only one week of practice.

She loves duets so now I am working on Deck the Halls for this week. smile

#1999376 - 12/14/12 11:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
SwissMS - glad your recovery is coming along steadily - and how great that your teacher has specific exercises to help you with the week finger! Also - be patient with your Chopin. His works are so deceptive.... you can look at them and think, "Well, it can't be THAT difficult"... but then the truth will out!
Just enjoy the step by step progress towards a more satisfactory rendition - and imagine what you'll do with it later on down the road, with even more experience under your belt!

What fun to try so many lovely pianos! A great way to spend your morning

Stubbie! A ninth woohoo! Good for you - and thanks for your kind words!
Bobby - getting to the piano regularly is the key to success! Good for you!
Malkin, that must have been fun! What did your teacher play?
Were all the performers teachers?
Floydthebarber71 - now that's exciting! When will we get to hear you play? Do think about submitting to the February e-cital!

Wisebuff - I know which 1917 piano you were on! I bet it sounds even more delicious in person than in the recordings we've heard in the recital. What a lovely day - I wish I could have joined you.
Is the date set for your exam?
Thanks for your encouragement! Nice to know that even at your level you've still got to work on scales smile

PianoPraise - I love duets! I haven't played for a while. I did some with my former teacher but haven't done any yet with my new teacher.

I don't really have an AOTW, but a funny story.....

I moved my lesson time because I had an appointment this week. At the end of my lesson the next student quietly came in and I glanced over my shoulder and said hello and went back to what we were doing... When I stood up I realized that the young lady was a former student of MINE ! I laughed and apologized for not recognizing her. Our teacher asked me to share my jazz music with her and I am happy to do so.. I also suggested we could do a duet! I think she was a bit overwhelmed (she's only 16) by our enthusiasm, but she said ok..So maybe in the new year I'll be doing a jazzy duet!

#1999426 - 12/14/12 01:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Floydthebarber71 - now that's exciting! When will we get to hear you play? Do think about submitting to the February e-cital!

Definitely! Something to work towards...nice.

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#1999571 - 12/14/12 08:48 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
...Malkin, that must have been fun! What did your teacher play? Were all the performers teachers?...

It was a doctoral recital at the University; he was the only performer.

Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata
Schoenberg: Six Little Piano Pieces
Lizst: Trois Etudes de Concert
Debussy: Suite Bergamasque
Wild (Gershwin): Virtuoso Etudes on Popular Songs

Take a peek at his youtube if you like!
http://www.youtube.com/user/WeissmanPiano

#1999624 - 12/14/12 11:53 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Not so much of achievement but I do have a couple of exciting things to report. My piano party plan is moving along just fine. I will have a total of 8 or 9 pianist. I think it's not so bad for the first time. It will be either 2/2 or 2/9. I will post it in the event area of the section as soon as I have the date finalized. I am asking everyone to hold the dates open. If anyone wants to join, you are welcome. Nothing fancy. It's in my house in Phoenix AZ.

Another excitement is that I get to play in a studio class in my teacher's college class on Jan 5. I haven't played on stage for ages and she thinks I need to do that. The last time I played on stage was when I was 15. Gee that's a long time ago. I'm happy but I'm also in a panicky mode. It will be a good prep for the piano party. I will play Brahmes Intermezzo 118 #2 and Bach f minor prelude from WTC Book II. I am working on the fugue now but decided not to play it at this time. It's still dodgy and completely sucky. For one thing i cannot play it if i look at the keys. My eyes are still completely fixed on the score when I'm playing. My teacher told me that you have to be ready 2 months before the performanceB if you want to play a fugue well. Anyway, I'm so excited. I will have to record my playing and force my friends to listen to me.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1999703 - 12/15/12 07:06 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Malkin - what an interesting recital - such a lovely range of genres! I love the Suite Bergamasque! it must have been a great pleasure indeed.

Farmgirl - What fun! A piano party in your home - The dogs will be so happy to have more pianists, and your husband? Maybe he will go golfing smile

Also- good fun to play in the college class - a bit hard on the nerves, true -but exciting!

#1999705 - 12/15/12 07:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

What a great idea Farm Girl or two great ideas. The piano party is great socially and as an experience of playing for others. The opportunity to play in the college class sounds intriguing too. Let me know how that goes and I might sign up for one on my campus. Of course the other students would all be young and talented...which would be fun to experience. Every February our university offers a Piano Celebration where they have master classes and experts talking about piano. I've gone for the last few years and it gives me a glimpse of the academic side of piano.

Love to learn

#2000187 - 12/16/12 09:55 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I enjoyed reading all the updates. Congrats to CasinItaly on 3000 posts. Cheers.

Week 40: The choral concert last Sunday was very good. It was a nice oasis in an otherwise jam packed life schedule. Practice time often has the same effect. Some days practice was only ten minutes but I practiced every day. I tried to reclaim Ashokan Farewell, but it remains a challenge. The two Christmas tunes, God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman, and Silent Night are not fit for prime time, but do sound like music. During these short times on piano keyboard, I have settled on a core group of tunes that come easily. It includes Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and my originals: Shimmer, Simply Beautiful, March to the Sea (all at my signature link).

Another highlight of the week was a conversation with a stranger. I saw someone with some sheet music, Ava Maria and asked about it. Turns out she and her husband are singers. They sing at home as a hobby. I told her about my adventures on piano (and pennywhistle and flute), and the local Southern California music group Songmakers.

For those that would like to perform for friends or in public but are afraid, I suggest having one or two or three short goto pieces. End every practice with a quick play through at full tempo. That way a person will be able to play them when tired, perhaps distracted. The phrase I use, is I can play them in my sleep.

#2000202 - 12/16/12 10:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Not so much of achievement but I do have a couple of exciting things to report. My piano party plan is moving along just fine. I will have a total of 8 or 9 pianist. I think it's not so bad for the first time. It will be either 2/2 or 2/9. I will post it in the event area of the section as soon as I have the date finalized. I am asking everyone to hold the dates open. If anyone wants to join, you are welcome. Nothing fancy. It's in my house in Phoenix AZ.

Another excitement is that I get to play in a studio class in my teacher's college class on Jan 5. I haven't played on stage for ages and she thinks I need to do that. The last time I played on stage was when I was 15. Gee that's a long time ago. I'm happy but I'm also in a panicky mode. It will be a good prep for the piano party. I will play Brahmes Intermezzo 118 #2 and Bach f minor prelude from WTC Book II. I am working on the fugue now but decided not to play it at this time. It's still dodgy and completely sucky. For one thing i cannot play it if i look at the keys. My eyes are still completely fixed on the score when I'm playing. My teacher told me that you have to be ready 2 months before the performanceB if you want to play a fugue well. Anyway, I'm so excited. I will have to record my playing and force my friends to listen to me.

Can I come to your piano party? Ever since I got the Corvette, I have the temptation to just drive and drive and drive some more. It might be fun to drive from LA to Arizona for your party!
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#2000442 - 12/16/12 08:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Sam, of course you are always welcome. But it's a long drive (6 hours). Are you sure? I have never done it by myself. I always take turns with my husband. I know you are much younger than me but still! Please think about it and pm me if you decide to come. I'm just touched that you thought about joining us. Wish we were closer. Thank you.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2000497 - 12/16/12 11:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA

Phoenix in February sounds like a great opportunity for all of us in the snow belt. Let's all descend on FarmGirl's party and thaw! smile

#2000606 - 12/17/12 08:18 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Sam, of course you are always welcome. But it's a long drive (6 hours). Are you sure? I have never done it by myself. I always take turns with my husband. I know you are much younger than me but still! Please think about it and pm me if you decide to come. I'm just touched that you thought about joining us. Wish we were closer. Thank you.

I enjoy driving, and I think it could be a really fun trip!
I think if I have the 1st Ballade up to performance standard by then, then I'll do it.

I'm in New York now for the weddings of a few friends of mine, and so I met with my first teacher again. The lesson went for about 4 hours and cost me $300, but it was AMAZING! We went through pretty much every piece of music I have memorized, and while my teacher had things to say here and there as far as how to improve, he was so enthusiastic about the progress I've made since I last met with him. It was really inspiring, also because I didn't feel even slightly nervous when playing for him. I'd say I played to 95% of my capacity. I LOVE PROGRESS!! laugh
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#2000659 - 12/17/12 11:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Sam - ok, you are in. I think your Ballade will sound much better than most of our performances combined. You may get good advice from some of the advanced participants. Please PM me when you are ready to get more detail. I can give you information about reasonable hotels in the area too if you would like. Our house is a bit too cozy to accommodate you or anyone from out of state. I wish I could pamper everyone with individual rooms but we are econimically "intermediate" level as my piano skills (sigh).

#2000661 - 12/17/12 11:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Bessel - yes defrosting is guaranteed. Although you will get frozen again once you go home. I heard it's not ideal to re-freeze things. Human too, I wonder

#2001037 - 12/18/12 07:35 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Achievement? We had a wonderful piano party last night (not PW but my teacher's adult group). We played on a Yamaha grand in a house with very high ceilings all beautifully decorated for Christmas. Of course this one was all Christmas music and everyone contributed to the achievement. My first achievement was playing accompanist for my husband who sang "Mary did you know". That is a whole different kind of playing and I kept up with him and didn't mess him up. My solo piece went well...even the section of fast moving forte octave chords and concluded with a dreamy pianissimo section. A lovely folk hymn titled Brightest and Best (I'd never heard it before). We ended the evening with group singing and a final of Silent Night. I just love my piano friends.

Love to learn

#2001141 - 12/18/12 12:17 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
WiseBuff - that sounds wonderful, and congratulations on the duet with your husband! I'd love to hear something at one of the Denver piano parties.

And FarmGirl - I had thought about your piano party - after all, Denver is about 6 hours or so from here, and Phoenix not much different, but for this time February is iffy for me from some work and band gig situations. But I bet you guys have a great time - I take it mr. super-hunky is coming? One of these days -

Cathy

#2001226 - 12/18/12 03:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Cathy, you bet no piano party without Mr. SH. I'm still aligning the dates. Sorry to miss you this time.

#2001369 - 12/18/12 08:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

You will have to post enough pictures to keep the rest of us satisfied and longing to be there! And if the Corvette and Sam get there, we need pics of them too!

#2001718 - 12/19/12 01:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stephen300o Offline

I was noodling in D and found 'Noel', how appropriate!

#2001799 - 12/19/12 04:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Farmgirl - Sounds like you are going to host a great piano party, drawing ABF'ers from all across the country!
When I held my get-together we had to send my dogs out for "mani-peddi's" for the day so nobody would be bothered by slobering Labs. Wine and beer most definitely loosened the ice for a group that were previously strangers, although I doubt it did much for the piano playing....at least not with me.

My teacher gave me a very sweet Christmas note saying that I was her hardest working student....and that it would eventually pay off in a big way. She always seems to know just when I need a boost.

For the last three weeks she has been helping me work on improvising with lead sheets. Just picking simple melodies with easy changes so far - this week I picked Sounds of Silence and my job is to alter the harmony from that shown on the lead sheet. Fun stuff.

Moonlight is getting closer. Parts of it sound very nice...others, not so much yet.

She's passed me on a jazzy arrangement of It Came upon a Midnight Clear. But it isn't really at a performing level, so I will have to work hard on it this week if I want to record it for the Holiday bar before Christmas.

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#2001804 - 12/19/12 04:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Teacher gave me two new pieces to start on. Snowflake Rag and Vivace. Both loaded with staccatos. I have started on the ragtime first, a bit itimidated by the Vivace right now. crazy Also conquered C & G scales in contrary motion at 85 bpm but I need to exceed 100. Not very exciting but fun.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Page 112 of 238 < 1 2 ... 110 111 112 113 114 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
17 minutes 49 seconds ago
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Today at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Today at 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
Today at 06:56 PM
Ack! My piano is diseased!
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 06:34 PM
Who's Online
134 registered (angga888, anotherscott, 36251, anamnesis, accordeur, 43 invisible), 1455 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158392 Topics
2325868 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission