Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1992583 - 11/29/12 08:18 PM What do I need? Composition/Scoring Major?
InfiniteClouds Offline

Hi,

I've recently decided to turn my attention and focus from performance to composition and scoring. I realize I need get a keyboard - primarily as a controller to hook up to my PC. I knew that I wanted 88 keys and as close of an action as I could get to my grand piano but beyond that I found myself completely overwhelmed. I've seen digital pianos, workstations, synthesizers, arranger workstations... and I can't remember what else!

I suppose anything would work if I were to just use it as a controller for software like Finale or Sibelius? Or would I be better served with something more? What is the difference between an Arranger Workstation and Workstation? A Synthesizer?

I've tried to do a little research on Google but it is somewhat confusing.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1992589 - 11/29/12 08:31 PM Re: What do I need? Composition/Scoring Major? [Re: InfiniteClouds]
RafaPolit Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador
I started using stand-alone sequencers as long as 20 years ago. I cannot speak from anyone else but me, but I think that a computer with Finale and a DAW is all you need to compose / arrange, and a good 88 key 'controller' is a desirable addition, but not even a must! (I'll elaborate later). So, a good 88 key action / weight DP with a mod-wheel and pitch-bend should do it. No need for anything else!

Now, this approach has one downside: you need to build up your computer sounds and it can get expensive really soon. The advantage of the workstations is that they usually carry sounds (some much better than others!), but the versatility you have with a computer is considerably better, and you can expand indefinitely. Perhaps the only time you could need such a DP is for live specialty things, but even then a computer alongside the player would do the job just fine!

For arrangement and composition I use Finale, but I usually output to a DAW in order to finesse a bit and mix down and master the audio file. My computer cannot load, for instance, a full orchestra in East West Symphonic Orchestra, so I 'fracture' the individual parts into smaller sound files and mix them in Sonar.

Others, I'm sure, will have other approaches, best regards,
Rafa.

#1992600 - 11/29/12 09:18 PM Re: What do I need? Composition/Scoring Major? [Re: InfiniteClouds]
InfiniteClouds Offline

Thank you for your input and I appreciate anyone else offering up their advice/experience as well. I am very unfamiliar with DAWs and have really only ever used Finale.

So a workstation is different in that in carries more sounds than a DP but what is the difference between a workstation and an 'arranger workstation/keyboard' ... and a synthesizer?

#1992609 - 11/29/12 10:11 PM Re: What do I need? Composition/Scoring Major? [Re: InfiniteClouds]
EPW Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
DAW Digital Audio Workstation.
I use Cakewalk Sonar. If you get the producer addition, it comes with a ton of sounds.
There is a demo at www.cakewalk.com if you want to try it out. My only gripe with the program is that the notation / staff view has not got any attention in years frown
But I like the work-flow of the program and the non-obtrusive serial number activation to use the software. There are simpler version of the software and other vendors making DAW software. If you go to http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=bc07dc254cd72543fd3b492c9f1c5018 for active views on DAW's

Edited by EPW (11/29/12 10:12 PM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#1992636 - 11/30/12 12:02 AM Re: What do I need? Composition/Scoring Major? [Re: InfiniteClouds]
RafaPolit Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador
@Infinite,

Sorry if I was unclear about the differences on the different options.

Different houses use different names for their type of instruments, and some instruments have a 'mixed' use regarding these categories you are inquiring about.

Typically:

- A Digital Piano (in the purist sense of the word) is an instrument intended to be played as an acoustic piano, and, while you have other sounds, the main emphasis is on the Piano sounds and, more often than not, on the keybed and action, while the non-keyboard sounds (that is, excluding EPs and Organs) tend to be relatively weaker and, in some cases, not an option. For instance, a few years ago several DPs will not include any form of solo instruments like Violin, Flute, Oboe, Saxophone, etc. Now a days, this has changed a bit.

- A Synthesizer would usually refer to an instrument with emphasis on more overall sounds and sound categories (perhaps even including special effects like thunders, gun shots, waves, etc.) and, in the case of the more advanced options (or tone generators), even include tone generation modules that allow you to create your own sounds via sampling or synth wave generation. They didn't use to have such strong piano sounds as the more dedicated DPs.

- A Workstation, again, in their conception, were machines that allowed you to record mostly midi tracks, drum patterns or loops, and sequence them (quantize the results, etc.) on an onboard device. More 'advanced' or modern Workstations can include Audio tracks as well, making them an 'onboard' DAW system. The amount and quality of sounds varied, but, usually featured the approach taken by Synthesizers: large sound options without emphasis on a particular instrument.

Now, the thing is that today, this purist type of machines are not really that 'specialized' but may be a combination of two or all three of this forms. For instance, most DPs now a days include a lot of extra sounds, they are not only pianos plus organs and strings... they have the full set of voices at least those included in the GM and GM2 specifications. They also include rudimentary track recording features. Conversely, most Workstations now offer different keybeds and actions, so while the 61 key Workstations tend to have the usual plastic keyboard, those with 88 keys have really nice actions and weighted keys.

So, how you would use it depends on your workflow, the amount of editing you are planing to do, the type of sounds you want, etc.

From that perspective, a particular workstation will have a preset of sounds (which could be expanded or not, depending on models), and a 'fixed' type of interface for sequencing, editing, etc. Editing is not as intuitive as using a computer, and upgrading the sounds in time will be difficult or not possible.

So, my approach is to leave all that to a computer: you can chose the program that suits your needs or even use several programs for different types of arrangements. For instance, if I'm doing an orchestral or ensemble arrangement, I use Finale. The notation system is the best (IMHO) in the market, and it allows for fairly advanced playback options. If, on the other hand, I'm doing more of a 'arrange on the go' type of arrangement, I connect a guitar via audio to Sonar and record midi from my piano and edit in there.

With this approach, having a very nice keybed, action, weight, and controller options, is all you need to control your computer, and, as time goes by, you can refine the software you use, or the sounds you play, which would be very hard on a dedicated workstation.

The advantage I see of such workstations is live play: you could load your projects directly in the workstation, and control them from the keyboard, avoiding the use of an external computer, which could cause problems and require more space or operators. But you pay in versatility and ease of use.

I don't know if I am being a bit clearer on the distinctions between the different types of systems out there, but they are more blurred now than ever. For instance, the Kronos features some great pianos and are fully featured workstations, most high-end Kruzweils have DP keybeds but also the range of sounds and versatility of Synthesizers. Almost all DPs have a wide arrange of sounds, some better regarded than others, of course.

Hope this helps a bit more,
Rafa.

Edited by RafaPolit (11/30/12 12:05 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (36251, ando, Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, 41 invisible), 1376 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153693 Topics
2253081 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Top Of The World Piano - The Carpenters
by Phuc Pham
3 minutes 7 seconds ago
Which piano suits what music best?
by wimpiano
47 minutes 30 seconds ago
Send midi files from Windows 7 to Clavinova CLP150
by vilbs
Today at 05:54 AM
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
Today at 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission