2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
wizman Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Does such a thing exist? I am an experienced pianist but I do not want to spend thousands of dollars on an AvantGrand to get a quality action. I need an 88 key midi-capable keyboard to use with Reason 6.5 (my DAW).

I don't need features, I just need a great action. Any recommendations?

K
Kos Offline
K
Originally Posted by wizman
Does such a thing exist?

Nope

"There is nothing to piano playing besides producing the appropriate velocities on the appropriate keys at the appropriate time" (c) qvfarns
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Great? Perhaps not.
No nonsense? Yes. You could try any old Yamaha board with the GH action, such as CP33/CP/50/P155 or (above 2K) Kawai's MP10, Roland's RD 700NX or Yamaha's CP5. Choose your poison. All these have 'features', of course.
There is a rumor that Kawai is testing out a new board. Might be what you are looking for.

K
K
Originally Posted by maurus
Great? Perhaps not.
No nonsense? Yes. You could try any old Yamaha board with the GH action, such as CP33/CP/50/P155 or (above 2K) Kawai's MP10, Roland's RD 700NX or Yamaha's CP5.

FP-7F provides the same action like RD-700NX and costs less, doesn't it? No offence I'm just asking since I'm interested in the topic myself!

Originally Posted by maurus
Choose your poison. All these have 'features', of course.
There is a rumor that Kawai is testing out a new board. Might be what you are looking for.

That's indeed interesting since kind of MP11/12 with GF action might not be that light but on the other hand good for playing. The question is where you've heard such rumours and second question is if this thing really happen sometime in the future...

November 2011: piano entered into my life.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
If all I cared about was an 88 with nice action at a good price to drive a software piano. I'd look at the Casio PX-150. I think it's a nice feeling action. I have some questions about the velocity curve response, but since that's generally adjustable on the software side of a software piano, I'd expect you could probably finesse a match out of it.

You could also look at a Korg SP250, which uses the same kind of "RH3" action that they use on their more expensive boards... not everyone's favorite, but not bad, especially at a budget price, at least if you're among those who prefer a bit of a heavier action.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by KarelG

That's indeed interesting since kind of MP11/12 with GF action might not be that light but on the other hand good for playing. The question is where you've heard such rumours and second question is if this thing really happen sometime in the future...

That rumour AFAIK originated on this forum. I won't say from whom, but a few people are 'hoping' this coming NAMM might reveal something. Even if it does, and it's just a rumour remember, products are usually a few months after NAMM. So a wait is in order, on a rumour.

I think YOU made the GF assumption!

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 11/30/12 03:34 PM.
W
wizman Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I'm going to give all of these models a whirl. I'm pretty experienced with Yamaha's GH action, but it's just always felt a little...unresponsive when I try to really make it sing. Thanks so much for the recommendations and I'll post my findings later.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
An excellent MIDI controller would be very popular in this forum as we have lots of VST users who really want the best action money can but. Alas, no one makes a really good controller. The best you find is probably the Numa Nero and its reviews are VERY mixed.

I agree that it's very wasteful that all the good actions come with expensive onboard sounds that aren't all that great. It's a shame, but not one I see going away any time soon.

B
B
I have found the touch of the Yamaha CP1/5 to be perfect for my light touch. I play jazz and this action allows a wonderful ability to play with great sensitivity and expressiveness--unlike any other action I tried during my exhaustive search. I knew within about 30 seconds of playing that it was perfect for me.

Everyone is different in what they like in a keyboard. Many people do not enjoy this light touch and at the end of the day, you just need to play as many keyboards as you can and go with what you like. I personally made my decision totally on the keyboard action because to me this is the most important part of playing. I really didn't even care about comparing piano sounds because I just wanted my music to "sing" as you noted. This requires a great action first and foremost.

Good luck to you.

R
R
Originally Posted by bob ben
I have found the touch of the Yamaha CP1/5 to be perfect for my light touch. I play jazz and this action allows a wonderful ability to play with great sensitivity and expressiveness--unlike any other action I tried during my exhaustive search. I knew within about 30 seconds of playing that it was perfect for me.

I agree with you about the touch. I do like my CP5... and as far as sound goes, I think it's one of the best in the price range. I want a good piano sound but there is one organ preset in particular that fabulous. I know an experienced piano teacher who owns a CP1 and I asked him what he thought of the action. He thought it is very good and feels just as real as an acoustic. And... unlike my PX130, it doesn't clatter or make a sound with playing. It's a solid, well made keyboard.

Last edited by RUSS SHETTLE; 12/06/12 01:18 AM.

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
C
C
....would also suggest to try Yamaha CP1/CP5

Numa Black or Kawai CA13?

... hoping in a hypothetic CA15!
wink

Last edited by Qbert; 12/06/12 10:12 AM.

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission