Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1993147 - 12/01/12 10:40 AM MP6 or ES7
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Would appreciate some more thoughts on making a choice between the ES7 and the MP6 for light cocktail jazz solo music in my home only. I also play classical but I am assuming both will be fine for that.

Not having a furniture stand is a downer for me but I put that down the list of priorities and went with the MP6 based on other recommendations. Price is really not an issue.

Also, I have been using software sounds with my CA-63 but I would like to get away from that and just use the internal sound generators along with my external speakers.

Any thoughts ?

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1993154 - 12/01/12 11:01 AM Re: MP6 or ES7 [Re: dmd]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Don, either model will be fine for your intended purpose. The MP6 allows for rather more control over the sound, whereas the ES7 is more of a 'turn it on and play' instrument (although it's no slouch in the customisation department either).

Note that the core sounds will be similar to the CA63, therefore if you're not terribly keen on the internal sounds of your current Kawai, it may not be wise to buy another instrument with a similar tonal character.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1993162 - 12/01/12 11:22 AM Re: MP6 or ES7 [Re: Kawai James]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Note that the core sounds will be similar to the CA63, therefore if you're not terribly keen on the internal sounds of your current Kawai, it may not be wise to buy another instrument with a similar tonal character.

Well, curiously, I seem to have come full circle on the CA-63 sound. I have been fighting it for over a year with software sounds and layering of sounds with mixers, etc ... but seem to have reached a point where I am fine with the clear CA-63 sound right out of the box. Not through the internal speakers but through my Yamaha HS80M monitors.

I hope it lasts because it frees me up to just play (or rather learn to play) the piano instead of experimenting with a multitude of sounds.

If I do any more tweaking, it will likely be in the direction of better sound components but right now I am fine with the sound through my Yamaha monitors.

Quote:
The MP6 allows for rather more control over the sound, whereas the ES7 is more of a 'turn it on and play' instrument (although it's no slouch in the customisation department either).

Well, the part about more control over the sound has my attention. I am hoping that will give me the edge over the ES7 I need to find a sound I like. Or ... to be able to modify it periodically as I begin to "tire" of the sound I have.

The only thing I have heard about the ES7 is that it has superior key action ... 3 sensors and improved keybed ... but for my skill level, it may not even be noticeable.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#1993220 - 12/01/12 01:46 PM Re: MP6 or ES7 [Re: dmd]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
ES7 has a slightly better AP and EP (although much less presets to choose from); due to better processing. Know them both well ; the difference is noticeable... If your main purpose is playing AP , I would recommend the ES. If its for more all-round use and you need more (master-) controls ; the MP6. both are good. For pure AP the ES is better.

Cheers, J

#1993242 - 12/01/12 02:45 PM Re: MP6 or ES7 [Re: JFP]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JFP
ES7 has a slightly better AP and EP (although much less presets to choose from); due to better processing. Know them both well ; the difference is noticeable... If your main purpose is playing AP , I would recommend the ES. If its for more all-round use and you need more (master-) controls ; the MP6. both are good. For pure AP the ES is better.

Cheers, J

All I will ever be doing will be to play classical music and also jazz solo cocktail style music for which I will want to have a few nice drum backgrounds.

I will never use anything except plain piano sounds and maybe tweak a little for jazz sounds if necessary.

I just want a very clean piano sound and nice action similar to my CA-63.

It sounds like I should be selecting the ES7 with the side benefit that it does have a furniture stand.

#1993326 - 12/01/12 06:14 PM Re: MP6 or ES7 [Re: dmd]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you for the insights.

The ES7 (with furniture stand) is on order and will arrive next week.

#1993380 - 12/01/12 07:59 PM Re: MP6 or ES7 [Re: dmd]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Congrats Don!

I look forward to reading your thoughts about it, and comparisons with your CA63.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1993520 - 12/02/12 05:18 AM Re: MP6 or ES7 [Re: dmd]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
furniture stand + 3 pedal unit I assume. Nice choice, wonder how you'll like it.

#1993533 - 12/02/12 06:41 AM Re: MP6 or ES7 [Re: JFP]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JFP
furniture stand + 3 pedal unit I assume. Nice choice, wonder how you'll like it.

Originally, I had not included that in the order.

However, I looked into the 3-pedal unit and it does add a nice finishing touch to it not to mention that it won't be moving around ... so I ordered it also. Thanks for bringing it up.

Edited by dmd (12/02/12 07:37 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Who's Online
109 registered (angga888, AmateurBob, Alan F, 26 invisible), 1198 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325907 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission