Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
134 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, Almaviva, 41 invisible), 1597 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1979941 - 10/29/12 03:05 AM Reductions/Orchestrations of composers works
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
So I've recently been thinking about doing some piano reductions of orchestral scores/quartes etc. as a study to for learning to write for different instrumentations. I've also been considering orchestrating some piano works, again as a way to both improve my orchestration skills and to add some depth to the way I perform these pieces on a piano.

Has anyone here done these sorts of things? How useful was it?

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1979945 - 10/29/12 03:19 AM Re: Reductions/Orchestrations of composers works [Re: TrueMusic]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Hem...

Piano reduction is nowhere near as useful as orchestrating piano works.

Especially for quartets, it seems that it's relatively easy to divide the voices for piano omit perhaps one, or add some tremolo and there you are (<-extreme oversimplification, but still...).

When orchestrating piano works you are met with various problems.

It's an extremely useful excersize and I offer it to all my students. There used to be an excellent book by Rene Leibowitz Jan Maguire, but it's out of print now (except in Greek, if you want it! grin). It offered two volumes. The one was piano reductions of known (more or less) orchestral works, starting with Mozart or so and moving up towards Stravinsky. It offered some ideas on what to do and what orchestra was used. The 2nd volume had the complete orchestral score with comments on why the composer chose to do that orchestration.

As I said, extremely helpful, but if it's out of print...

The only thing you can do is check IMSLP for piano reductions and then try yourself with orchestrating and then checking the same part orchestrated (the original)...

Good luck!

#1979946 - 10/29/12 03:34 AM Re: Reductions/Orchestrations of composers works [Re: TrueMusic]
TrueMusic Offline

I would've never thought about taking a reduction and doing an orchestration of that and comparing, that actually sounds very useful! I'm in the middle of an orchestration class right now that is being taught BRILLIANTLY by a hollywood orchestrator, but as much as I'm learning I'm also learning just how much I don't know. Oh the wonderful never ending journey into studying music. Thanks for the advice Nikolas! Also, if you don't mind, I'd love to show you the piece I just finished up writing once I get the final edits and things done to parts and score to make it all right. I like the way it turned out so far. Piano trio with electric guitar and drum set added...makes for some fun textures.

Polish:
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#1979968 - 10/29/12 05:52 AM Re: Reductions/Orchestrations of composers works [Re: TrueMusic]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

By all means... If you want you could show it to the whole world of PianoWorld (so that other people can comment and provide feedback. There are a number of brilliant composers on board. Steve, Scott, etc...).

If not, either PM me here or email me at nikolas *AAAATTTT* musica-ferrum.com

(replace *AAAATTTT* with the appropriate ASCII character please! grin

#1982977 - 11/05/12 11:05 AM Re: Reductions/Orchestrations of composers works [Re: Nikolas]
ScottM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nikolas is exactly right. Try orchestrating an old classic (like Mozart) from a piano score and then compare it to the original. This is an old technique, and one I'm not sure I've ever done, but it's been recommended by many composers over generations. It's a start.

#1983233 - 11/05/12 10:51 PM Re: Reductions/Orchestrations of composers works [Re: TrueMusic]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: TrueMusic
I would've never thought about taking a reduction and doing an orchestration of that and comparing, that actually sounds very useful!

It sounds like you are already taking a class given by an expert, and what could be better?

Once the class ends, the need for returning for reference may continue. I will offer that there are two "bibles" on the subject of orchestration, that have served thousands of us over the years:

PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION by Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov (translated of course, unless you know Russian), and
THE STUDY OF ORCHESTRATION by Samuel Adler

There are also texts that are specific to the jazz genre (big band), including works by Ray Wright and Adolph Sandole.

Ed

#1983271 - 11/06/12 12:46 AM Re: Reductions/Orchestrations of composers works [Re: TrueMusic]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

LoPresti: While I agree that the two books you mention are very highly regarded, I would argue that the Korsakov one is rather outdated by now... :-/ Just a word of caution!

#1983274 - 11/06/12 01:14 AM Reductions/Orchestrations of composers works [Re: Nikolas]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Nikolas,

That all depends on whether you are trying to orchestrate Scheherazade!

You make an excellent point, Nikolas. The learnings found in the Rimsky-Korsakov text, particularly the COMBINATION of timbre, were most pertinent for the large, lush, romantic orchestras of the mid-to-late 1800s. So, while an English horn still sounded like an English horn, the way its sound was combined with the colors of other instruments was characteristically different then, than now.

The Adler text, completed in 1982, along with his examples, is far more reflective of the orchestral colors of the twentieth century - the "tight", highly technical ensembles.

Of course, that is not to imply that the orchestration techniques of the Romantic era do not work well today. One of the most prolific, and arguably THE most successful composer for the modern Italian cinema, Ennio Morricone, could have co-authored the Rimsky-Korsakov volume, so similar are their uses of voicings.

Ed

#1983278 - 11/06/12 01:34 AM Re: Reductions/Orchestrations of composers works [Re: LoPresti]
TrueMusic Offline

Originally Posted By: LoPresti
Originally Posted By: TrueMusic
I would've never thought about taking a reduction and doing an orchestration of that and comparing, that actually sounds very useful!

It sounds like you are already taking a class given by an expert, and what could be better?

Once the class ends, the need for returning for reference may continue. I will offer that there are two "bibles" on the subject of orchestration, that have served thousands of us over the years:

PRINCIPLES OF ORCHESTRATION by Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov (translated of course, unless you know Russian), and
THE STUDY OF ORCHESTRATION by Samuel Adler

There are also texts that are specific to the jazz genre (big band), including works by Ray Wright and Adolph Sandole.

Ed

My class is indeed wonderful. I just recognize how much more work I need to do to really "get" the subject! Over winter break I'll probably pick out some work for piano [I assume you're meaning take a piano reduction and orchestrate that, correct?] and orchestrate it then compare with the original orchestration. That would be great practice. Working with ensemble's much larger than 6 starts to intimidate me, so starting with something already written, rather than my own composition, would be great. My final for my current class is arranging a Bach Chorale Prelude [I picked BWV 744] for concert band, so I'll get some practice in even before winter break!

Also, we have the Adler for the class already. It's SUCH a wonderful resource. He's taught us some out of the Korsakov, although it's not our primary text. Really, he only had us buy the Adler for reference after the class, he rarely assigns reading or teaches straight out of it. Instead we analyze scored and talk about what the composers did.

Polish:
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#1993158 - 12/01/12 11:16 AM Re: Reductions/Orchestrations of composers works [Re: TrueMusic]
Ordo Offline

A classic piece for this exercise is Pictures at an exibition (Mussorgsky). You have several orchestrations availabe from great composers, to compare.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159983 Topics
2349374 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission