2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 305 of 370 1 2 303 304 305 306 307 369 370
R
R
Originally Posted by Dipsy
Hi folks - I'm back and can report that neither Rossy or myself have suffered floods - just been really busy with complicated stuff...

Ohhhh...thank God! We were so worried about you two! Satie recital would've never got it's full glory without you, as it was solely your idea to have a recital on Satie. I'm looking forward to enjoy your performance.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by griffin2417

I have a few more before I go to work. Here is Jim Morrison with "Days Like This"

Geez! I really blew it with not carefully proofreading. I meant Van Morrison.

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No probs Dipsey wink

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well darn those international police!! Yes my speakers seem to have some issue and played rap too. LOL

Griff you seen this yet? Good song even better message. Made some waves with a teacher being suspended for three days for playing it to a class...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hlVBg7_08n0[/video]

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hello dudes and dudettes!! All is well, allthough dipsey did say we have not had floods, she failed to look in my pants properly.

Anyways now that the woodburner is installed in the "ahem" "Music studio" this means no more freezing fingers when playing with the piano/pianist anymores. Excellent. piccies to follow but what to do what to do?

back just in time for the satie recital..... well a tad late, but hey who needed a little extra time anyways? I hear you all say "me. me" lol.

wayne, dipsey has recorded hers today, do you still want me to post the recital and have you got the youtube links because of mine/our absence?

if anyone wants the full story of my being missing and the gnomes and lesbian attack in the supermarket carpark then just ask.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lesbian gnomes? In the Supermarket? I want to know everything!

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

While Wayne awaits an answer about Lesbian gnomes in the supermarket wink , I will take this opportunity to remind everyone that the Themed Recital of music by Erik Satie is scheduled for Sunday (today). The postings, recorded by PWF/ABF members (including yours truly), will be posted on this thread by 11:00 a.m. CST, and 5:00 p.m. London time. It will be posted on a few other threads as well.

One other thing, I will return to my regular Sunday classical postings next week. Today, instead of doing the Sunday classics, I'll be handling the postings of today's Themed Recital. grin This will also take one more thing off of Rossy's busy schedule as well! grin

Well off to bed I go! Posting time will be here sooner than it seems! Good night!

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
Well darn those international police!! Yes my speakers seem to have some issue and played rap too. LOL

Griff you seen this yet? Good song even better message. Made some waves with a teacher being suspended for three days for playing it to a class...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hlVBg7_08n0[/video]

Becca, this was AWESOME!!! I thought about me and my partner of 43 years as I watched it. Thanks!!! thumb

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 02:49 AM.

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I know the Sunday Classical is being replaced by the Satie recital this week and will resume in all its splendour next week but I am racked from the habit of the last few weeks and the desire to hear something before 5pm.

Here's something appropriate for a Sunday while we're all on tenterhooks this side of the pond awaiting the forthcoming postings of our fellows.

Bruckner wrote this in 1869 as a dedication for the chapel of Linz Cathedral.

Locus iste a Deo factus est,
inaestimabile sacramentum;
irreprehensibilis est.

This place was made by God,
a priceless sacrament;
beyond reproach.

Richard

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
At long last we present the Themed Recital of music by Erik Satie by our PWF members. (Also, thanks for your patience as I sorted out the technical problems in completing the postings! smile )

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 05:51 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Gymnopédie 1 - Griffin

Overall, it was a good learning experience.

I consider this recording of "Gymnopedie 1" to be just the beginning of a learning journey, and I would classify this performance as a "work in progress." I still have a lot of work to do on this piece such as more focused attention to the dynamics, memorization, etc. However, I'm fairly satisfied with what I've pulled together in a relatively short timeframe.

Now that I've gotten it to this level, I am looking forward to finishing my work on this piece. I was so close to getting it memorized. However, I knew I wouldn't meet our November deadline, and I did find a workable solution to the problem. I also plan to pursue learning the other 2 movements of Gymnopedie.

At first I was extremely reluctant to take on this project because of the extremely busy work schedule I typically experience in October. However, I'm now glad that I got the opportunity to participate in this team effort!

My thanks again to Richard for agreeing to do the Sunday classical postings, which also helped me free up more time to at least get this to a presentable level.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZUSL1Hh0dM0[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 01:20 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Gymnopédie 2 - Dipsy

I think this is an improvement on last time (metamorphosis piece) because I this time I was able to create ideas about the structure of the piece. While playing I imagined a French peasant (represented by the melody)wandering in the country with church bells in the distance (the accompaniment). However, when it came to listening to it it sounded more like raindrops (melody) on a puddle - hence the video we chose! And fortunately the background noise on the recording sounded a bit like rain - which fitted quite well.

Excuse the slips - missed notes, chords sounding uneven and overloud and scrappy at times. The piano also needs tuning.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IMO-RBWEZTU[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 12:06 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Gymnopédie 3 - PianoStudent88

I find Satie's Gymnopédies and Gnossiennes to be dreamlike, slowly wending their way through slightly unusual harmonies, repeating with very slight variations. The Gymnopedie No. 3 is in A minor in 3/4 time. The tempo marking is Lent et grave. A rhythmically repetitive bass line of single notes on the downbeat followed by a tenor triad on beat two grounds a reflective melody in the treble, which is repeated with a variation in the first phrase.

The challenge in this piece for me was not the fingering, but the nuances: playing the left hand softly enough to allow the right hand to sing out over it; trying to add subtle dynamics as marked in the score; seeking a sense of rubato. This performance doesn't capture the ideal of what I'd like to be able to do with this piece, but it captures the best of what I can do right now.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HngQaIUt7b8[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 01:26 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 1 - Peyton

What can I say... I love the mysterious quality of much of Satie's work. The Gnossienne's have no measures and some very strange instructions left to us by the composer. Instructions such as "Advise yourself carefully", "Very shiny" and "Postulate within yourself". I chose to play this piece a bit faster than many play it and I give the low F a steady drone using the sostenuto pedal.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT3uW83BuTE[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 01:35 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 2 - AimeeO

This is my first attempt at recording where people might actually hear it, and my first real experience
recording on my acoustic. What an eye opener! I got so self-conscious of my errors it was hard to emote! Next time! The pictures are purely filler of stuff in our yard.

Anyway. Gnossienne 2. I envision Satie running into that girl he was in love with, and the whole gamut of emotions that goes with running into someone you once cared a great deal for: the shock, the happiness, the self-consciousness and awkwardness, the spark of sadness in the end.

I thought the pedaling in this piece was extremely tricky. You need to be very precise, or it sounds warbly and drones on and on. Technique wise, I am having some strength issues lately with my left hand, so trying to quiet the chords and play them evenly was the biggest challenge. I'm not thrilled with my performance, but I am happy I got through it and was able to participate finally! It was a great learning experience. Special thanks to Dipsy for roping me in.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MaMjF4vEfj0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 01:41 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 3 - Rupak

I came to know about Satie by Gnossienne 3! I accidentally found it while browsing the performance videos of an youtube user. It moved me so much by creating an unusual feelings that I still can't express exactly: some kind of eerie dreams that I never dreamed before. But it surely has a strong hypnotic attraction that evolves from the combination of all the dark emotions it produces inside the listener, that's why I can't stop loving it and listening to it again and again!

About its interpretation, I was so confused! It looks so easy on the sheet, but the apparent freedom in its interpretation makes it quite difficult to translate the charm of the piece musically! During my journey of learning this piece I learned a lot by facing difficulties and trying to overcome them - one of most important of them would be controlling the dynamics of the left hand chords accompanying the right hand melodies. Overall, I had a great experience and I'm so happy to become a part of this recital!

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wvq8-CN_Fl0[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 03:30 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 4 - Recaredo

I’ve read several theories about the origin of these pieces, but above all, this Gnossienne inspires me serene beauty, and this has been the viewpoint of my attempt to perform this music.

For the video, I’ve chosen some paintings by Joaquín Sorolla, a Spanish painter of the early twentieth century, together with the original manuscript of this Gnossienne.

I hope you like it.

[video:youtube]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KYq8zdOtzrg[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 01:51 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 5 - LadyChen

I was first introduced to Satie's music as a teenager when my brother gave me this wonderful CD (http://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-Williams-F...williams+barber). I loved the simple, melancholy sound of Satie's Gymnopédies. I've had the piano music for some time, but never felt like I could do this music the same justice as the orchestra on that CD. Thank you PW friends for giving me an opportunity and the encouragement to buckle down and learn one of these piano pieces!

[video:youtube]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v3ClFG6F4hM[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 01:52 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 6 - dire tonic

Before signing up for this recital I’d not heard Gnossienne 6. In the playing I found myself a prisoner of the phrasing - mostly three or four beat motifs. I couldn’t find any continuity and Satie, rather than help us out, prefers as always to make fun of us with his cryptic directions (rigourous sadness, healthy superiority, haggardly).

Checking out YT I found a handful ranging from Leeuw’s clockwork to Pascal Roge’s wild and wonderful phrasing. In my hands that sort of thing would come out sounding contrived and ridiculous so I played it safe and sedate. Wish I'd played it slower but every take has something wrong with it; being mindful of one thing, I forget another. I’ll be going back to Roge later to see what, if anything, I can learn.

Anyway, it’s been a mixture of fun and exasperation and, the biggest payoff, after 50 years stuck playing exclusively between f and ff - a chance to try mf and p. Wow! Who knew? Still so much work to do.

When the thread’s up I’ll pour myself a large glass of wine and let your Gymnopodies and Gnossiennes fill the airwaves around me. What a treat!(monochrome, in a desperate attempt to add moodiness)

[video:youtube]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mB0qzRYQ3r4[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 01:55 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Gnoissienne 7 - Wayne33yrs

I too hadn't heard of Eric Satie until this recital. Although I have heard a couple of the pieces before. I chose Gnossienne 7, as I thought it sounded unique. The challenge for me was making it sound musical. This wasn't my best performance, but it was the best take I got. smile

[video:youtube]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eFrV0kizyIQ[/video]

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/02/12 01:56 PM.

Carl

Page 305 of 370 1 2 303 304 305 306 307 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission