2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Are there some that you think qualify in this regard?

For example, I believe the Paris Conservatory requires all those applying to play the Chopin Sonata No.2, presumably because they think both the technical and musical demands are very high and broad. Or the most recent Chopin competition had Chopin's Polonaise Fantasie as a required piece, I'd guess for similar reasons. Of course, both the Paris Conservatory and Chopin Competition have the pianists play a lot more than those single pieces so that they are not really using the single piece alone to from a judgement.

I think there are many pieces that could be used by themselves to form a good judgement about a pianist's skills. Which would you suggest?

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Minuet in G major, BWV 114

V
V
B minor sonata, by you-know-who.

Working on

Chopin: op. 25 no. 11
Haydn: Sonata in in Eb Hob XVI/52
Schumann: Piano concerto 1st movement
Rachmaninoff: op. 39 no. 8

Beethoven Op. 106. It would be revealing of various flaws.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
A Mozart slow movement is usually more than enough to tell me the caliber of pianist I'm listening to.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Anything, but especially Beethoven.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
A Mozart slow movement is usually more than enough to tell me the caliber of pianist I'm listening to.

I would change pianist to musician in your statement, but I definitely know what you mean. I have heard otherwise great artists crash and burn in a Mozart slow movement. The funny thing to me is that among the piano sonatas, there are only a few slow movements that I think are worth listening to, but they all demand such incredible musicianship to pull off.
However, I don't think that Mozart slow movement is going to tell you how that same pianist will play a big virtuoso work, for example.

Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Anything, but especially Beethoven.

I was just about to agree with this. After a bit more thought, I can think of great Beethoven players whose Chopin is no where near as good, and vice versa.
I think Beethoven does show one's musicianship ( or lack there of ) more than any other composer.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Are there some that you think qualify in this regard?

For example, I believe the Paris Conservatory requires all those applying to play the Chopin Sonata No.2, presumably because they think both the technical and musical demands are very high and broad. Or the most recent Chopin competition had Chopin's Polonaise Fantasie as a required piece, I'd guess for similar reasons.

I would suspect that someone who plays a great Chopin second sonata would be able to be at least competent in all the standard repertoire. The Polonaise Fanasie less so than the sonata, but one has to be a great musician to play a great Polonaise Fantasy.

This is a difficult question, because I have heard people sound great in one big piece and mediocre in another, so if either was the only thing one heard, they would judge the pianist inaccurately.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'll side with Mozart, but I also think Beethoven and Schubert, too.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman

I would change pianist to musician in your statement, but I definitely know what you mean. I have heard otherwise great artists crash and burn in a Mozart slow movement. The funny thing to me is that among the piano sonatas, there are only a few slow movements that I think are worth listening to, but they all demand such incredible musicianship to pull off.
However, I don't think that Mozart slow movement is going to tell you how that same pianist will play a big virtuoso work, for example.

It's true that most of them won't tell you about the depth of the pianist's technique, but for the most part, great musicianship and great pianism tend to go hand in hand. The exceptions are very few.

B
B

It's true that most of them won't tell you about the depth of the pianist's technique, but for the most part, great musicianship and great pianism tend to go hand in hand. The exceptions are very few.

I can think of many pianists who are great 'musicians' but do not have great technical ability. They are/were mainly from an older generation (I suspect that these days, they wouldn't ever make it on the concert platform or recording studio, but become teachers), but for me, a performance of a Mozart or Beethoven Sonata where the slow movement is sublime but the outer ones are marred by technical problems don't make for a satisfying musical experience. But they were (and some still are) generally considered as 'great musicians' in their time.

If music be the food of love, play on!
I
I
First bars of Schubert 894 or Beethoven 4 should do it.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
What varied and diverse abilities is a single piece going to help judge? It's difficult for me to imagine one piece that covers the whole spectrum of musicianship and technique. That said, I'm sure there is much in the advanced repertoire that would give good indications of the artistic and technical "potential" of a pianist, but I would be hard pressed to find one that could really "judge a pianist's abilit(ies).

Or, am I splitting hairs - which I don't like to do, having to cherish the few remaining ones I have!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I really think it doesn't need to be just one piece, you can tell someone's artistic ability from pretty much anything!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
B
BDB Offline
B
You can tell how well I play piano by listening to me play Chopsticks.

Semipro Tech
I don't agree with the practice, but I put my vote in for Chopin's 4th Ballade. For musicianship alone, I would say Traumerei.

Donald Lee III
BM '16 James Madison University
MM '18 Cincinnati Conservatory of Music

OP Online Content
I can't remember which competition did this but one recently had a choice of Beethoven's Variations in c minor and Mendelssohn's Serious Variations as the required work. Of course, the competitors had to play many other works but I also think those two pieces were chosen with great care.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

thumb

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

T
T
I'm surprised no one mentioned playing a Bach fugue. Particularly one of the slow 5 voice ones....

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by TrueMusic
I'm surprised no one mentioned playing a Bach fugue. Particularly one of the slow 5 voice ones....
Many of the great pianists past and present play very little Bach at all. In addition, what would such a piece show about the technical ability of the pianist?

T
T
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by TrueMusic
Many of the great pianists past and present play very little Bach at all. In addition, what would such a piece show about the technical ability of the pianist?

I know that, and it's sad that they don't play much Bach. But such a piece requires so much control....5 voices that need to be balanced, slow tempo, and still playing with feeling. I feel like if you can convincingly pull off this it shows a lot about you piano playing. I guess it doesn't show if you can play a virtuosic work by liszt or Rach, but it shows a lot about musicianship and tonal control. I imagine there are few pianist who could do a 5 voice fugue and not perform at some level of virtuosity.

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission