Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1988937 - 11/20/12 12:07 PM Songs that make you stay in your car
Schroeder II Offline

Because my previous post was a bit negative I thought I'd try to balance with this one.

Occasionally when driving I find myself in the situation where I've reached my destination but a particularly good selection is playing on the radio.

Some are so good (IMHO) they will actually prompt me to stay in my car till they are over.

Examples:
Red Rain by Peter Gabriel
Barber's Adagio for Strings
Mendolsohn's Reformation Symphony final movement
American Pie by Don McLean
Brahms 3rd Symphony

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1988963 - 11/20/12 01:43 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Well, this goes back some years, but I remember the moment well.
I was a running late as usual teenager, scrambling to get out of the car, and "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" came on the radio. Late or not, I was frozen by the sound coming out of the car speakers.
Classic.

#1988973 - 11/20/12 02:08 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Strings & Wood]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood
I was a running late as usual teenager, scrambling to get out of the car, and "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" came on the radio. Late or not, I was frozen by the sound coming out of the car speakers.
Classic.

Many moons ago, very late at night, or maybe very early in the morning, the DJ on Top 40 WJPS 1330AM played the long version of that. It was mesmerizing.

Or maybe it was the mescaline. Whatever.

#1988980 - 11/20/12 02:48 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
ZZ Top ...LaGrange

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#1988999 - 11/20/12 03:50 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
I don't have a car but music to like

CHOPIN CHOPIN CHOPIN!

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989005 - 11/20/12 04:11 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
I'll hide behind my anonymity when I say this blush ... but Karen Carpenter often still makes me want to take it all in. Not the corny stuff, and there clearly was some. But the good stuff ... still love the voice ... and Richard was (is) quite an accomplished pianist as well.

#1989011 - 11/20/12 04:29 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Strings & Wood]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood
Classic.

I loved the best of Motown. The Supremes had some great songs, too; I especially liked "You Can't Hurry Love." Summer of '66, the last year of great pop music...

Edited by ClsscLib (11/20/12 04:29 PM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1989069 - 11/20/12 07:38 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

CCR's version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine is amazing as well. For ZZ Top "I Thank You" would keep me in the car for a long time if left on repeat inadvertently.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1989078 - 11/20/12 08:09 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Since we are talking pop- Sigur Ros- Hoppipola- wow yes. I am not a pop fan but they are amazing- have some classical elements to their music. Their pianist is classically trained.
And Gong...
I have nearly all their CDs. They are the greatest pop musicians I have ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L_DQKCDgeM

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/20/12 08:13 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989081 - 11/20/12 08:17 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Classical Sigur Ros!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSIn5fSXtjw

This is truly awesome- see their reaction at the end, it is moving and powerful.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/20/12 08:28 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989089 - 11/20/12 08:39 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
In a similar vein to Sigur Ros, Godspeed You Black Emporer's Moya would keep me in the car. These days there's quite a lot of Schumann that keeps me in the car.

#1989096 - 11/20/12 08:47 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Greener]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Greener
I'll hide behind my anonymity when I say this blush ... but Karen Carpenter often still makes me want to take it all in. Not the corny stuff, and there clearly was some. But the good stuff ... still love the voice ... and Richard was (is) quite an accomplished pianist as well.

Don't hide - boast of this proudly - Karen had maybe the most listenable voice ever in pop music...a voice with an extended range and a wonderful resonant quality... a voice that one could listen to for hours and never tire of...

And yes, Richard was indeed a very accomplished pianist...

If you want to hear both at their best get their Christmas CD...a marvelous listen...

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1989153 - 11/20/12 10:40 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Ella's voice stops me in my tracks. What a beautiful woman. I like the piano here, too. Headphones are worth the bother for this.

Ira Gershwin: "I never knew how good our songs were until I heard Ella Fitzgerald sing them."

Edited by Plowboy (11/20/12 10:45 PM)

#1989157 - 11/20/12 10:47 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: TrapperJohn]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn[/quote

Don't hide - boast of this proudly - Karen had maybe the most listenable voice ever in pop music...a voice with an extended range and a wonderful resonant quality... a voice that one could listen to for hours and never tire of...

And yes, Richard was indeed a very accomplished pianist...

If you want to hear both at their best get their Christmas CD...a marvelous listen...

Yes, you're right of course. I said that since they were considered quite popish(?) it their hey day. But I was lucky enough to see them live and have learned to play a few of their hits. Yep, got the CD too and many others ... she is among my top all time female vocalists.

OK, I'm proud of it ... how's that. Here's one of my favorites ...

#1989230 - 11/21/12 04:52 AM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

anything by Beethoven

anything by Chopin

#1989248 - 11/21/12 07:09 AM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
Larry B Offline

Loc: Boston
OK...these might seem odd, as I wouldn't say they are my "favorite" songs in general, but...

Marshall Tucker - Can't You See
Allman Brothers - Jessica
Supertramp - The Logical Song

...each has multilayered arrangements that get more and more complex as the songs go on, so as they get closer to the end, I get more engaged and it's harder to turn it off. Great stuff to hear on a decent sound system.

#1989265 - 11/21/12 08:27 AM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Beatles: Here Comes the Sun

#1989266 - 11/21/12 08:28 AM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ella's voice stops me in my tracks. What a beautiful woman. I like the piano here, too. Headphones are worth the bother for this.

Yes she had a wonderful voice!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989267 - 11/21/12 08:29 AM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: malkin]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: malkin

That was written by the gorgeous George Harrison. He was the best of the Beatles!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989282 - 11/21/12 08:57 AM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Yeppers.
I bet George could make a good soup too!

#1989289 - 11/21/12 09:03 AM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: malkin]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yeppers.
I bet George could make a good soup too!

Possibly! wink He was a gardener as well in his later life.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/21/12 09:04 AM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989432 - 11/21/12 02:16 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rule The World by Take That sung by Jonathan and Charlotte opera style in Italian. What makes it amazing is they are only 17 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHQVKQET0os

And Unintended by Muse done by them- awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEs1EQ0CLPc&feature=related

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/21/12 02:23 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989472 - 11/21/12 03:57 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: EdwardianPiano]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano

That was written by the gorgeous George Harrison. He was the best of the Beatles!

Gorgeous George? There was a professional wrestler by that name many years ago...but I never thought of Harrison as particularly so...perhaps I should check the Urban Dictionary for alternative street definitions... laugh

#1989551 - 11/21/12 06:31 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

More Karen:

#1989552 - 11/21/12 06:33 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: TrapperJohn]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano

Gorgeous George? There was a professional wrestler by that name many years ago...but I never thought of Harrison as particularly so...perhaps I should check the Urban Dictionary for alternative street definitions... laugh

LOL- George Harrison was defintely the best looking Beatle!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989607 - 11/21/12 10:44 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

The greatest female pop singer ever- Dusty Springfield. Perfect pitch, perfect timing, tone, everything. Flawless. Puts those poplets today to shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuPOwe-2EYA

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1989613 - 11/21/12 11:20 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: EdwardianPiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I love these oldies too, although I didn't even exist when they were recorded. I guess I just have good taste! laugh

Music is my best friend.

#1990853 - 11/25/12 10:43 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Schroeder II]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Commander Cody And His Lost Planet Airmen - Hot Rod Lincoln:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9QpDvhshOQ

It defies categorization, but is ridiculous amounts of fun.

This and virtually anything by Johnny "Guitar" Watson will keep me glued to wherever I am. Yes, this is my 2nd post (at least) to this thread. I could do a hundred more easily...

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1993306 - 12/01/12 05:37 PM Re: Songs that make you stay in your car [Re: Bobpickle]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

anything by Beethoven

anything by Chopin
The other morning I wished it could be OK to be late to work because "Fat Bottomed Girls" was playing.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
Yesterday at 03:43 PM
Who's Online
78 registered (accordeur, AnimistFvR, Anne'sson, Almaviva, 22 invisible), 1075 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158483 Topics
2327413 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission