2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P*D and Ed, I'm not certain of this, but it was my understanding that the advertising revenue generated is used in part to pay the copyright holder royalties. Thus it is extremely important to deny pretenders any royalty income.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P*D, have you thought about copyrighting your son's performances and allowing youtube to advertise on it and then paying you royalties for each site visitor? What is involved in generating an actual copyright? Something more than just a letter to the Library of Congress?

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
We're well down that road. You do not need to copyright the material that you "monetize" on your YouTube account. Monetizing videos only requires that you swear and aver that the content is indeed your own. You create an Adsense account, and then you can allow YouTube to insert a text advertisement in the bottom of the video and/or allow them to place a short advertisement video before your video begins. Both of these ads can be closed out by a viewer if they hit an "x" button at the right time. Then the viewer proceeds to your video. Adsense has some algorithm for determining the value of each viewing of a monetized video based on how long the advertisement stays visible to the viewer. They also screen out self-dealing, i.e. you can't watch your own video over and over to boost advertising revenue. smile

For videos that go viral, the revenues can be quite large. For most people, however, it is mere pennies. And you have to get to $100 in revenue before YouTube pays out. P*S is closing in on that amount, actually, so I hope he can get a check for $100 in the next few months. He has two videos that are getting between 100 and 200 views per day. That's not too bad for classical. Both are Beethoven. Go figure. I think it's because they are graded pieces in the RSM scale, and thousands of kids in Hong Kong, Korea and Malaysia tune in to see how others play the graded works.

This is another reason why musical rights companies like EMI and Angel are getting aggressive about intellectual property rights. Somebody is getting money.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Interesting. And depressing that posters are dependent on youtube's integrity and scale.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I wonder how Daniel Barenboin feels about EMI claiming someone else as him. Be fun to get him involved.

piano teacher
OP Offline
Interesting idea. Does anybody have his personal email address ... ? grin

I
Ina Offline
I
Maybe this one: mail.barenboim@gmail.com - it's the mail on his official website?

OP Offline
Yes, but I would bet that anything sent to that address will be read by some assistant whose job is to place as much distance as possible between the busy performer and the public. But heck, if anyone wants to point him to this thread, be my guest! smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'll email him. We all should!

Last edited by DanS; 12/01/12 01:32 AM.
B
B
Don't know if this is an option for you but you can change the Title and Tags sometimes to be more vague.

For instance, when I post covers that list both the Title of the piece AND the Artist then I often find Youtube sends me a rude notice my video may infringe on someone's copyright.

So now I just use the Title (and don't put the Artist anywhere in the Post). Or sometimes you can use just the Artist (if they only have 1 o 2 popular pieces). Many times, just the Title (if it is unique enough) is enough for many people to find your video .

You may avoid all this hassle by posting this way.

OP Offline
Blueston, this is not a cover. The "artist" is Beethoven or Mozart. The pianist is a boy. The piece of music is in the public domain, and the recording is my property.

OP Offline
For reasons that defy logic, EMI has reinstated its claim over these two works. Apparently this is automatic. I'm sure no human being has yet viewed the offending videos. I have appealed EMI's reinstated claim ...

This video was produced in my house, on my piano, with my recording equipment. This is a twelve year old boy playing the piano. If EMI would only have a human being listen to this recording, they would quickly back off. This is harassment on their part.

YouTube uses threatening language at this point, saying that I may be liable for legal penalties, and they offer to have me remove the offending portions of my audio track by replacing it with something from "their library."

OK, now I will send something to Daniel Barenboim.

And EMI, I will hire a lawyer if you persist! Maybe that's the only way I can get satisfaction. Hire a lawyer and spend $1,000 to defend a YouTube video. OK, they're on. Warpath.

OP Offline
I have sent an email to the email on Daniel Barenboim's website.

An Open Letter to Daniel Barenboim

Dear Mr. Barenboim,

When my son was fourteen, we recorded a video of him playing Mozart's Sonata in B-Flat, K333. For a number of years, the video has sat happily and quietly on YouTube, earning thousands of views.

Unfortunately, the firm that represents you (EMI) has said that the audio is actually of your playing. They have now claimed ownership of the recording that I made of my son, in my house, on my piano, and with my recording equipment. The video was pulled down and YouTube has said I may be liable for legal penalties. I have appealed this twice, but EMI continues to claim that the audio portion of the recording is really your playing.

Sir, EMI clearly has not had a human being view the video. No one with an ear could confuse my young son's playing with yours. His interpretation is youthful, and he makes errors. Those mistakes are clearly audible. Some say we should be flattered at the comparison. I am not. I am stunned at the aggressive harassment from the firm that represents you.

Here is the offending video: Mozart Sonata in B-flat, K333

I am an outraged father at this point. I'm the little guy here, but I intend to fight back, and this is why I have notified you.

I am publishing this as an open letter on a well-viewed piano forum. Here is the link: Battling Goliath Again -- This Time EMI

And if EMI continues to harass me and my son, I will be forced to seek a legal remedy against EMI. This is absurd. I would deeply appreciate a moment of your time to view the video and communicate with EMI that my son's playing is indeed not yours.

Regards,

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What about calling them, or heading over to their office (EMI's office I mean)?

Or even more, I just feel the need to spread the word with this idiocy... I'm pretty sure that several high profile blogs will be interested.

So,

Who's got access (lives close) to EMI's headquarters please? Who knows a few blogs about classical music that can offer some insights and some promotion to this ugly story. I'd hate to see PD paying 1000$ to a lawyer in order to keep his sons videos on youtube! It's dead silly.

P*D what about small claims court? It's not about small claims either, though, unless you provide evidence that you've lost. Perhaps if you'd reached 100,000 views, you could get some money from youtube and claim that EMI is depriving you of that, thus dragging them to small claims court?

But I'm not in the US to know much more than this...

OP Offline
Nikolas,

Indeed, I would appreciate spreading the word to blogs and other piano forums. Embarrassment is the best weapon here. That's why I sent the note to Barenboim. I also sent a piece of direct mail to EMI's New York headquarters, where I'm sure some secretary will laugh at it as s(he) throws it into the recycling bin.

There is no monetary issue here, for me at least. I'm just tired of the petty harassment from these "rights" societies. If I have to hire a lawyer, I will.

Firms like EMI do have a right to protect their intellectual property. People do use clips of music that they don't own. But someone has to distinguish between theft of prominent artists' work and young kids playing on their own piano.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Call your local TV station, they love stories like this.

Learner
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
So being dragged to court would actually be the most desirable outcome here because then you'd come face to face with your accuser and have an impartial judge to adjudicate. They'd also be liable for all costs when they lose. Bring on the court case!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by malkin
Call your local TV station, they love stories like this.

Great idea!

You'll also get a lot of hits on your sons video when it finally comes back up on youtube.

OP Offline
Bring on the court case!

They're tempting me. REALLY tempting me.

You could also contact Norman Lebrecht at his popular weblog. I believe he'd be interested in your story and may give it exposure or just even refer you to some EMI executive.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission