Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1993476 - 12/02/12 01:31 AM Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

Utterly tremendous trio concert tonight. Firstly, the sound in the Arts Centeris incredible, so clear and balanced, unbelievable. It's always shocking to hear Keith play again live -his conception is unfathomable, what he can do with the
instrument so inconceivable, his execution is flawless, his projection is huge, his hand/voice balance is "Bernstein leading the Philharmonic" perfect. If anything his sound seems to continually get drier, purer, more distilled as the
years go on. You can drive a truck between the melody and the other 30 voices he's creating simultaneously to support the melody. Primary fluctuating weight given to the melody at all times- so this is what music is, yeah,it's SONGS) Every part of his playing zoned to carry musical concepts to add to the
whole, each zone played within itself perfectly and perfectly balanced with the other zones he's playing perfectly, how all the parts interface in a completely architecturally thought out woven tapestry and perfectly played.

Lots of great moments -A beautiful intro right off the bat on You Go To My Head,
followed by Santa Claus is comin to town, played and improvised all the way through) Gary and Jack were fantastic, no diminution of any kind, Jack is beyond dispute the greatest drummer alive and was outstanding tonight. The time feel,
between Gary right in the pocket and Jack relaxed every so slightly off the beat conveyed a layering of time that was remarkable. Everything was happnin, vamps,blues, ballads, dixeland (He did a bit of almost an Errol Garner imitation with
a staccato 4-to-the-bar LH that was hysterical), funk, Latin, all done to perfection.

There's a moment in the Bhagavad Gita where Krishna shows Arjuna his infinite form, and Arjuna's mind is blown to bits and begs Krishna to return to his usual personal form...we're sitting there, the concert is over, right? We heard 2
encores -God Bless the Child, When I Fall in Love, you know..I mean everyone is standing + cheering, I mean the concert is over, everyone is tired, IT'S OVER, you dig?

Then Keith walks over to the piano and shows us his infinite form with a supremely wild out out out furious Jackson Pollack on Straight No Chaser, it was hair-raising! Shocking, paralyzing! Wow, Jack played the greatest drum solo I
ever heard in my life, and Keith just blew the piano into smithereens...after the concert is over!

Keith Jarrett is universes after universes of the highest level of piano artistry ever known on this planet. All you can say after this experience is - GOD IS GREAT.

Piano & Music Accessories
#1993523 - 12/02/12 05:26 AM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: davefrank]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Originally Posted By: davefrank
You can drive a truck between the melody and the other 30 voices he's creating simultaneously to support the melody.

Yeah, all his counterpoint must be divinely inspired.
While I haven't had the privilege of watching one of KJ's concerts live, I think I would slightly prefer a trio concert, especially given the interplay you described.

#1993526 - 12/02/12 06:05 AM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: davefrank]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
I'm envious of your experience Dave.

I guess I'll just have to console myself with Restoration Ruin. smile

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#1993528 - 12/02/12 06:16 AM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: chrisbell]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

reruns of Golden Girls should do the trick..

#1993598 - 12/02/12 10:22 AM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: davefrank]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
A review Like should be worth a call from mom

#1993601 - 12/02/12 10:32 AM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: davefrank]
RonL Offline

Too bad you can't record shows...hopefully Keith will decide to issue a cd of the night.

#1993839 - 12/02/12 07:38 PM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: davefrank]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jealous!

He's one of the performers that I really want to see that I haven't.

#1993919 - 12/02/12 10:58 PM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: RonL]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: RonL
Too bad you can't record shows...hopefully Keith will decide to issue a cd of the night.

From what I've read, he apparently records every performance. Whether he or ECM chooses to release it is another thing...

Good to hear he (and Jack & Gary) hasn't lost a step, on the contrary perhaps. He's (they all are ) not getting any younger... wink

He and that trio have been and continue to be a huge influence on me...

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP5, CP4, Nord Piano 2
RCF TT08A & TT22A speakers

#1995028 - 12/05/12 12:47 PM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: RonL]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RonL
Too bad you can't record shows..

ha ha

#1995129 - 12/05/12 04:48 PM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: knotty]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Did you do your recording trick Knotty ?!

#1995143 - 12/05/12 05:25 PM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: davefrank]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

nah I didn't. The boss said "just listen instead", and I'm a good boy wink

#1995166 - 12/05/12 06:40 PM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: knotty]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

where were you sitting ?

#1995173 - 12/05/12 06:59 PM Re: Keith Jarrett trio live at NJPAC 12/1/12 [Re: davefrank]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

pretty decent seats, maybe 10th row on keith's side. Good sound there.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
163 registered (alans, Alex-SapRenovation, 36251, accordeur, 46 invisible), 1688 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156253 Topics
2294756 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Around The World
by karmanathan
Today at 11:55 AM
Brahms
by mellifluous
Today at 11:04 AM
The process of shopping / buying a new piano
by Eric5238
Today at 10:53 AM
Viennese vs sustain vs DOA tuned unisons and temperament
by gynnis
Today at 10:35 AM
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
Today at 08:30 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission