2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 224 of 370 1 2 222 223 224 225 226 369 370

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eglantine
Originally Posted by griffin2417

Now that I've had a chance to eat, here is another Sunday offering. The Fugue in G minor BWV 578 by J.S. Bach. The organist is Ton Koopman.

Hi Griffin, curious that the intro to the piece says BWV 574 (not 578)... but it does appear to be 578.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Johann_Sebastian_Bach

Different key.

Bach is,of course, the 8th wonder of the world!

Thanks Eglantine! I suspect this is one of those situations in which the original YouTube post person did not have a copy editor cross check things. I can relate -- probably all of us. smile

Last edited by griffin2417; 04/01/12 04:37 PM. Reason: typo

Carl

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by hawgdriver -- on page 7
... can anyone in this erudite circle identify a band that has covered this Eno gem, and identify three reasons anyone should care?

142 pages later, and I'm still breathlessly waiting for any takers...anyone? Bueller?

Fine. It's Head of Femur. (regarding the band; there are no reasons anyone should care)

Oh, right...the cover:

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
C
C
Eno covers? How about Bang on a Can?

(Perf: September, 2011)

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
sehr schoene

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Right dudes and dudettes, Its totally full on feel good time this morning, so just in case anyone has forgotten this brilliant piece, here is is....

Steve harley, And "Mr.soft" love the bass, love the vocals, its just fun, but at the time,everyone talked about it because they didnt know what the F it was about.....

"Life gets tedious enough without this extra grudge to bear"

Just listened to this three times now...and 40 yrs after first hearing it, I have no clue what its about!!!

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/02/12 04:21 AM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Phew, Richard. I'll have to study all those roman numerals.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by CaptainKawai
I'll have to study all those roman numerals

It's not as daunting as it sounds!

If you're working in C you have C-Dm-Em-F-G-Am-Bdim or I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii. We tend not to use vii much in western harmony because of the dissonance. We prefer to add a major third underneath giving us the dominant seventh). Once you're familiar with the six or seven numbers it's easier to relate each number to the FUNCTION of the chord within the key you're in without having to consider the key itself.

If you stayed with chord names instead you'd have to learn twelve majors, twelve minors and how they relate to each other in the particular keys in which they might simultaneously occur. Now THAT to me is daunting.

If you're talking about Em in the key of C, it's iii but in the key of G it's vi. If the function of the chord is more important than the name it's better to use the number.

In discussing I Want to Hold Your Hand, the main progression finishes on iii (it's actually B7 rather than B minor [III instead of iii] but that's a colouration outside diatonic harmony and won't make understanding what's happening any easier). You don't normally finish a progression on iii (or III for that matter). It would normally end on the tonic itself (I) or on the dominant (V) which leads to tonic.

Lennon and McCartney finish with it hanging in the air without an obvious path home. This is a challenge that requires skill, craft and imagination to bring it to a satisfactory close. When you hear the harmony in their voices reach a peak at the end of the second line - 'Oh, yeah, I'll tell you something, I think you'll undertsand, When I'll say that something I want to hold you HAND' - it's not obvious how they're going to come back to tonic. It's incredibly exciting.

By saying they're on B minor or B seventh doesn't really convey the functionality of the chord choice (unless, as I say, you're aware of the functionality of all the chords in all the keys) so saying it's iii makes more sense.

Roman numerals, or RN's, weren't designed to make music harder. They were designed to make it easier despite a minor outlay invested in learning them.

Thanks for reading, CaptainKawai. It's nice to get some feedback. I don't know whether my ravings are OTT and just ignored or if they're enhancing the listening experience. For myself, I genuinely weep _every time_ I hear Beethoven's Seventh or the entry of the fourth theme in Liszt's B minor sonata, for example. Knowing what's happening helps me enjoy the experience more.

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Richard you are putting the "serious" back into Rostoskys serious thread!! lol.

Okay dudes and dudettes, I thought of this a little while ago, then forgot again...

Please check these next two out to see if I am going insane, is this where parisean walkways was lifted from, or just a co-incidence....

not the chorus, just the verses...

And the guitar in this......

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Originally Posted by CaptainKawai
I'll have to study all those roman numerals

It's not as daunting as it sounds!

If you're working in C you have C-Dm-Em-F-G-Am-Bdim or I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii. We tend not to use vii much in western harmony because of the dissonance. We prefer to add a major third underneath giving us the dominant seventh). Once you're familiar with the six or seven numbers it's easier to relate each number to the FUNCTION of the chord within the key you're in without having to consider the key itself.

If you stayed with chord names instead you'd have to learn twelve majors, twelve minors and how they relate to each other in the particular keys in which they might simultaneously occur. Now THAT to me is daunting.

If you're talking about Em in the key of C, it's iii but in the key of G it's vi. If the function of the chord is more important than the name it's better to use the number.

In discussing I Want to Hold Your Hand, the main progression finishes on iii (it's actually B7 rather than B minor [III instead of iii] but that's a colouration outside diatonic harmony and won't make understanding what's happening any easier). You don't normally finish a progression on iii (or III for that matter). It would normally end on the tonic itself (I) or on the dominant (V) which leads to tonic.

Lennon and McCartney finish with it hanging in the air without an obvious path home. This is a challenge that requires skill, craft and imagination to bring it to a satisfactory close. When you hear the harmony in their voices reach a peak at the end of the second line - 'Oh, yeah, I'll tell you something, I think you'll undertsand, When I'll say that something I want to hold you HAND' - it's not obvious how they're going to come back to tonic. It's incredibly exciting.

By saying they're on B minor or B seventh doesn't really convey the functionality of the chord choice (unless, as I say, you're aware of the functionality of all the chords in all the keys) so saying it's iii makes more sense.

Roman numerals, or RN's, weren't designed to make music harder. They were designed to make it easier despite a minor outlay invested in learning them.

Thanks for reading, CaptainKawai. It's nice to get some feedback. I don't know whether my ravings are OTT and just ignored or if they're enhancing the listening experience. For myself, I genuinely weep _every time_ I hear Beethoven's Seventh or the entry of the fourth theme in Liszt's B minor sonata, for example. Knowing what's happening helps me enjoy the experience more.

Thanks for the music theory lesson, Richard!
Your "ravings" are always appreciated, although, some of us....require a dictionary at hand to fully make it through your posts! What was that word you used in another thread? " lugubrious " Am I the only one who does not regularly use this word while conversing? Perhaps.... smile

(teasing)

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Good morning Richard! I just finished reading your post and found it very informative. It was also a reminder for me of my need to bring out my music theory book I purchased last year. smile

I just wanted to let you know that I definitely read your posts in which you do some analysis, and say what excites you about the music you are experiencing. I find that very useful. I truly appreciate it when you and others do that because I often gain some new insights about music.

It's unlikely that I would do it myself, however. Why? I guess it's just not one of the things that I enjoy writing about. I think it has more to do with where I'm at with music at this stage of my life. I suspect that after I retire in a few years I might feel different about this.

Anyways, I guess this was just a long winded way of saying I certainly enjoy reading your posts.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Good morning Griffin, I thought you knew that you will not be allowed to retire, you are too valuable, they will not let you go, ever. lol.

Pianojoy, Lugubrious is a large word that is mainly spoken in Ireland after many pints of guiness,only four people know its true meaning, and they have been lost in the mists and fog of time.

Does anyone like funny words? I like "flange" and "grommit" and "Nodule" and "pod"

I dont like these words "overdue" "decomposed" and " intestate"

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Good morning Griffin, I thought you knew that you will not be allowed to retire, you are too valuable, they will not let you go, ever. lol.

Pianojoy, Lugubrious is a large word that is mainly spoken in Ireland after many pints of guiness,only four people know its true meaning, and they have been lost in the mists and fog of time.

Does anyone like funny words? I like "flange" and "grommit" and "Nodule" and "pod"

I dont like these words "overdue" "decomposed" and " intestate"

Hi Rossy! I must admit, it feels strange saying that word..."retirement". Maybe I'll just start a new career with you and others here on RST! However, i know better than to expect a paycheck! LOL!

Tonight's a big night for me, however. I'm going to perform my first piano solo onstage at an Open Mic in the theater where I work. I haven't done this since 1965 when I performed in a piano recital hosted by the local Piano Teachers Association.

I definitly feel ready to do this now. I'll let you know how it goes. Right now, I've taken the day off from work to relax and get warmed up for tonight! Anyways, I'll be around. Hmmm...I may be back shortly with a post.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Okay, this is one of those times when you have no idea why a song just keeps floating around in your mind. for me it's this song by Dire Straits. Enjoy!

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
And now floods of feedback! Thank you, everyone. That's very encouraging.

Rossy, I have decomposed those two songs and think explanation is now overdue. I'm will intestate (you have to say it fast) that those two songs do share a common harmonic progression but as a guitarist it's not all that uncommon. Jethro Tull's Things We Used To Know follows a similar pattern, though in the major key; these are both in minor. In light of recent discussions it might be worth pointing out that the chorus of the Italian one transitions to major in the chorus and uses both the common progressions of our recent topic, videlicet, I-vi-IV-V followed by I-vi-ii-V.

With a name like Piano Joy how can a funereal vocabulary enter the lexical interaction of the participants?

Griffin, I am delighted only that you read my posts. And heaps of good luck for your recital tonight! smile

This one does NOT share a harmonic progression with Pachelbel's Canon. Any similarity is tentative at best. There are pointers to Lennon's Imagine but it is more of a tribute. The progression, it seems, had been worked out prior to the lyric.

Peace and love.

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
We all read your posts Richard!! not just Griffin, I think when a lot of posts happen very quickly it is hard to answer or comment on them all, especially so if the page has turned and we are on a new page...I find that trickiest.. or a better word from gollum "tricksey" ( tricksey little hobbitses they are)

If piano joy wanted she could win hands down on pharmaceutical words and terminology, it would leave us all asking what is that? lol

Griffin must not be wished g..d l..k methinks, he has practiced real hard and is ready, We should say a less dangerous "break a leg" instead. lol.

griffin, have you sorted out anyone to have this recorded for you and hopefully us?

I hope so, and reckon many others will hope so too!!!

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Rossy, dear chap, I think you may have misunderstood me, my expression to Griffin was that I'm delighted that my posts are read - and only that they are read - so there's no need for reciprocation. I was not saying that only Griffin reads them.

I'm aware of Piano joy's Greek pedigree; I was being facetious (as I was by including 'decomposed', 'overdue' and 'intestate' to your good self).

I was unaware of any musical superstitions. Break a leg for me has always been a theatrical term. I have neither used it nor heard it being used in a musical setting.

However, Griffin, I wish you well for your upcoming recital and I'm sure you will do very well.

Richard
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Piano Joy has no desire to enter a war of words with any of the fine folk on this thread.

Piano Joy only desires to listen to fine music (sometimes forced to listen to Kool and the Gang, not so fine), play piano, relax, perhaps have a margarita .

Richard, I think Shakespeare is very fortunate that you were not alive during his time! (I knew you were kidding...)

Griffin- ok, NOT good luck , we want videos!

Rossy- um. let me think......

Last edited by piano joy; 04/02/12 11:45 AM.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Richard no worries,I mis read what you said , my fault entirely, it can be read two ways though, and i got it wrong, apologies.( i thought to myself " I read them as well!")

Break a leg might be the best thing Just in case Griffins performance is theatrical.lol just to be on the safe side..

I dont want to worry Griffin at all in any way, or help him develop performance anxiety, but one has to consider the outside chance of an accidental theatrical performance...

When something is live.. anything can happen, in fact the more you believe that nothing will happen, the more likely something is to happen..

I believe that Griifin will nail it, even if a kid projectile vomits loudly in the audience due to too much popcorn and chocolate mixed with cherry soda.

What I mean is, I have done unexpected theatrical performances whilst just weeekly food shopping, one never knows, best to be safe.

I dont know if Griffin has practiced not being put off my the fat kid with ginger hair breaking wind loudly at a pp part of the piano piece, or if he has even worried about it just yet.

I am unsure if Griffin weighs up these possibilities.

I know one thing though, if there is a fat kid with ginger hair looking overly bloated in the front row, Griffin must just kill him before starting to play.

Last edited by Rostosky; 04/02/12 12:00 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Talking of fat ginger kids, the other day I was walking allong and I happened upon a kid that was sat on its bike, crying its eyes out.
Now, I dont actually like kids and would usually just run past and pretend I had something very important to do,and leave it to the next person that came allong that cared.

Fortunately on this day, it was sunny and warm And I was feeling good, because I had circumnavigated some people with collecting tins that were collecting for some unspecified charity, probably donkeys, scabby donkeys that have had a hard life and are crying because they cant even take kids on rides anymore, because they cant walk properly being much to elderly and decrepit.

Anyways, having successfully avoided being taxed by the rattling donkey tins, I saw this Fat ginger kid crying.

So I says to the kid "whats up little fat ginger dude?" And he says " me mum says I cant talk to strange men unless I bring her the money I get off them"

So I says "Kid, I aint going to lie, I am a strange man, but I aint going to hurt you or give you any money for anything including donkeys"

And the kid just fessed up and said "everyone bullies me"
And I said "surely not everyone?"

And the kid says "yes everyone, my mum, my dad, my teachers, the kids at school, the school dinner lady, the lollipop lady that crosses us over the road, the school nurse and nuns, they all bully me"

And as the fat ginger kid rode off on his pink tricycle, wearing his sisters training bra over his seventies tank top, with his green wellies squeaking in the summer sun, and his cub scouts shorts almost threadbare,

I thought, "life aint fair" and went and put 26p in the donkey tin.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Especially for you, Rossy, for you generosity!
But 26p is a bit much.

Richard
Page 224 of 370 1 2 222 223 224 225 226 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission