Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2001604 - 12/19/12 08:42 AM Re: Hand soreness [Re: Derulux]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
I watched a few people online play the piece and they switch fingers.

It reminds me of some pieces in the Aaron book. Where if you hit the same note more than 2 times in sucession. It suggests you change fingers.

I tried and it seems a bit more comfortable.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2023736 - 01/29/13 11:23 PM Re: Hand soreness [Re: 88slowpoke]
NikoKiko Offline

Interesting topic,
I have chronic pain in my right wrist from playing too much tennis and not letting it heal up completely, so I should know better but ....

I am a new piano player (6 months) but recently got a DP with graded keys.
Now, 2 weeks later I have pain in my left and right wrist from too much piano practice(6-7h / day) combined with bad body position. The bad position I caught early on.
My advice to everybody would be to let the injury heal completely even if it's minor.
It does NOT mean it's ready when the pain is gone, no no no, give it some time, really ! REALLY !!!
It all depends on the severity of the injury.
It may be from a week to 5-6 weeks.
If you don't wait, you are on the shortcut to chronic injury which is NOT good and leads to getting injured easier and more in the future with less load.

#2023769 - 01/30/13 01:11 AM Re: Hand soreness [Re: 88slowpoke]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
An update on my left wrist pain: even though I was sure it was tendonitis, it turned out to be a ganglion cyst. It must have been small enough, even at the most painful time, that it wasn't visible on the surface. The doctor used MRI to do the diagnosis. While it's incredibly satisfying to have a definitive diagnosis, I'm not sure what it means for piano playing. Was it bad technique that caused it, or playing in general? Is it always going to be a problem now, even with good technique? The doctor said it was fine to play, so I'll go back to playing, with both hands (yay!), but I'm a little nervous that it will just flare up again. He said if it hurt again, to get it aspirated. Reading around a bit, I get the feeling that it will be easier to deal with than tendonitis.

Strangely, I had a ganglion cyst on my right wrist a long time ago. It came and went for about 5 years then just went away. It was huge, though, very visible from the outside, and simple to diagnose. It seemed to aggravated (and maybe caused by?) playing tennis and RSI from these ridiculous pipette cans at work (they were hard to get open).

#2024189 - 01/30/13 05:45 PM Re: Hand soreness [Re: NikoKiko]
Charles Cohen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: NikoKiko
. . .

I am a new piano player (6 months) but recently got a DP with graded keys.
Now, 2 weeks later I have pain in my left and right wrist from too much piano practice(6-7h / day) combined with bad body position. The bad position I caught early on.
My advice to everybody would be to let the injury heal completely even if it's minor.

My advice would be not to practice 6-7 hours/day !!!! Even with perfect technique (which no beginner has), that's a heck of a heavy load.

A new keyboard (with different touch) just adds to the insult.

. Charles

#2024389 - 01/31/13 01:25 AM Re: Hand soreness [Re: MaryAnn]
outo Offline

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: MaryAnn
An update on my left wrist pain: even though I was sure it was tendonitis, it turned out to be a ganglion cyst. It must have been small enough, even at the most painful time, that it wasn't visible on the surface. The doctor used MRI to do the diagnosis. While it's incredibly satisfying to have a definitive diagnosis, I'm not sure what it means for piano playing. Was it bad technique that caused it, or playing in general? Is it always going to be a problem now, even with good technique? The doctor said it was fine to play, so I'll go back to playing, with both hands (yay!), but I'm a little nervous that it will just flare up again. He said if it hurt again, to get it aspirated. Reading around a bit, I get the feeling that it will be easier to deal with than tendonitis.

Strangely, I had a ganglion cyst on my right wrist a long time ago. It came and went for about 5 years then just went away. It was huge, though, very visible from the outside, and simple to diagnose. It seemed to aggravated (and maybe caused by?) playing tennis and RSI from these ridiculous pipette cans at work (they were hard to get open).

I also have these ganglions, one was very visible on my left wrist. After I learned better tecnhique it suddenly diminished to almost invisible and I feel no pain from any of them really. So sometimes it's about technique and learning to use the wrist correctly. They don't know excatly why these things appear (I had my first when still in school) but maybe it has something to do with the way one uses the hands and that can be corrected? I would not advice surgery unless nothing else helps, my friend got nerve damage from this routine operation. It can sometimes be drained, although they often reapper.

#2024670 - 01/31/13 02:24 PM Re: Hand soreness [Re: 88slowpoke]
NikoKiko Offline

yes, Charles, I know, too much too soon. I was just too eager.
Now I know better.
Thanks for the advice.

So, not one but two ganglion cases so far. I am just wondering that there might be others like MaryAnn, undiagnosed who has it and it is invisible and deeper under the skin.
I guess improper technique combined with lots of repetition won't make it go away but just the opposite.

But how do you describe the "better technique" ?
It is not just the ergonimic and right position of the body/arms/wrists/fingers ? Right ?

#2024706 - 01/31/13 03:03 PM Re: Hand soreness [Re: NikoKiko]
outo Offline

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: NikoKiko

But how do you describe the "better technique" ?
It is not just the ergonimic and right position of the body/arms/wrists/fingers ? Right ?

A very good question...For me it went like first just playing the way I felt like...getting a teacher... being forced to sit differently, stop hunching, stop pressing with my arms, holding my wrists up and solid, using more fingers...and doing all this while keeping my body relatively still. A very complicated task which has taken over a year and at times went completely wrong and caused problems. Then during the last few months it started feeling natural instead of wrong and I have been able to relax more. No more wrist problems. Getting my fingers to work the right way (without overcurling) has lessened the pressure on my wrist. I am in no way there yet, but I think getting the wrists more flexible and strong has made the ganglion go away (or diminish).

#2026436 - 02/03/13 05:40 PM Re: Hand soreness [Re: 88slowpoke]
NikoKiko Offline

it seems,for adult beginner, a teacher is a good way to get started with, even if you want to continue to learn by yourself later on
smile

#2026545 - 02/03/13 09:31 PM Re: Hand soreness [Re: NikoKiko]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
I have a tendency to drop my wrists when I play, especially the left hand. I also have bad tension problems. Learning how to release tension after playing a note is something my teacher and I are working on a lot.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (Alkanaut, A Guy, Almaviva, 46 invisible), 1725 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74213 Members
42 Forums
153523 Topics
2249786 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
47 minutes 23 seconds ago
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
47 minutes 34 seconds ago
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 09:37 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
Today at 09:10 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
Today at 09:07 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission