Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1994977 - 12/05/12 10:45 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: ando]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: ando
Don't know why you started a thread asking for different opinions if you only see one possibility though.

The thread was started to get various opinions and then make a decision on how best to proceed.

Mission accomplished.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1994997 - 12/05/12 11:36 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Roger Ransom]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Roger Ransom
It's just a matter of physics, Entheo. If you think it through, it's not so hard. I've moved heavier things than your piano with just a few strong men. But if you want to hire a mover, be my guest. Don't know why you started a thread asking for different opinions if you only see one possibility though. I wish you luck with the move though.

+1

My wife and I alone have moved our Yamaha G7 (not light) all over our main floor. We moved it to the kitchen while carpet was installed, moved it to different locations in the living room for various reasons. I'm 70 years old and we recently moved it so we could have a flat screen mounted above it and then moved it back. Not a big deal and we never even considered calling a mover. It's a puzzle to me too.
Your piano is much smaller and you didn't mentioned anything about trying to put a rug underneath the piano which is far different from rolling a piano. On a hardwood floor several people can usually move a piano no problem, but even there disasters can occur (and sometimes occur even in piano showrooms where the people have moved pianos hundreds of times).

#1994999 - 12/05/12 11:37 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: ando]

It's just a matter of physics, Entheo. If you think it through, it's not so hard. I've moved heavier things than your piano with just a few strong men. But if you want to hire a mover, be my guest. Don't know why you started a thread asking for different opinions if you only see one possibility though. I wish you luck with the move though.
Why do you assume he only had one possibility in mind when he started the thread?

#1995082 - 12/05/12 02:57 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: pianoloverus]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Why do you assume he only had one possibility in mind when he started the thread?

Helpful as always, PL... wink

#1995100 - 12/05/12 03:39 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: ando]

Your comment was incorrectly critical of the OP. I already gave my opinion about what I thought was the best way to put the rug under the piano earlier in the thread.

Apparently OP didn't agree with your idea and you found it necessary to insult him for no reason. Your rude and sarcastic comment about him starting a thread but not wanting different opinions was just plain wrong. He got a large variety of opinions and reached a conclusion.

Edited by pianoloverus (12/05/12 03:43 PM)

#1995106 - 12/05/12 03:57 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
Entheo, I'm just trying to have you give yourself more credit. As my family will attest, I perpetually play a game of "how do I get off the island?" If you really have to solve a problem, you will. As far as the beer goes, I don't drink, and as I have said, I have done this myself, and I told you how. Admittedly my pianos are a bit heavier, 1200 lbs and 1500lbs respectively, but it is still doable by lifting one leg at a time. In truth it is easier than rolling a piano, even on hardwoods which puts considerable stress on the legs and their attachment points. For what it's worth, I took down a tree about the same size as that in the video a few weeks ago. I notice that he seems to have no guy wires to persuade the tree to go in any particular direction.My plight was that going the other direction would have landed my tree on my neighbor's roof. He's a good neighbor, but as we know THAT has its limitations.

I laud you for asking for advice, but don't give up too quickly, nor sell yourself short!

#1995111 - 12/05/12 04:14 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: pianoloverus]
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Originally Posted By: Roger Ransom

+1

My wife and I alone have moved our Yamaha G7 (not light) all over our main floor. We moved it to the kitchen while carpet was installed, moved it to different locations in the living room for various reasons. I'm 70 years old and we recently moved it so we could have a flat screen mounted above it and then moved it back. Not a big deal and we never even considered calling a mover. It's a puzzle to me too.
Your piano is much smaller and you didn't mentioned anything about trying to put a rug underneath the piano which is far different from rolling a piano. On a hardwood floor several people can usually move a piano no problem, but even there disasters can occur (and sometimes occur even in piano showrooms where the people have moved pianos hundreds of times).

I really don't think my G7 is much smaller than a C7, probably pretty darn close. The G7 is 7' 4". I haven't weighed it.

We moved the piano, had a whole room carpet installed and moved the piano back onto it. It was not a problem, obviously you have to use common sense and care.

#1995133 - 12/05/12 04:55 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: John Pels]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
Originally Posted By: John Pels
Entheo, I'm just trying to have you give yourself more credit. As my family will attest, I perpetually play a game of "how do I get off the island?" If you really have to solve a problem, you will. As far as the beer goes, I don't drink, and as I have said, I have done this myself, and I told you how. Admittedly my pianos are a bit heavier, 1200 lbs and 1500lbs respectively, but it is still doable by lifting one leg at a time. In truth it is easier than rolling a piano, even on hardwoods which puts considerable stress on the legs and their attachment points. For what it's worth, I took down a tree about the same size as that in the video a few weeks ago. I notice that he seems to have no guy wires to persuade the tree to go in any particular direction.My plight was that going the other direction would have landed my tree on my neighbor's roof. He's a good neighbor, but as we know THAT has its limitations.

I laud you for asking for advice, but don't give up too quickly, nor sell yourself short!

john, i'm not one who gives up easily -- i cycled up two of the hardest climbs in all of professional cycling (alpe d'huez and mont ventoux) last summer. but discretion is the better part of valor.

after moving in we decided that we wanted to move the piano back a few inches. my stepson (a strapping 25 year old) and his friend were called upon to lift each leg so i could remove the caster cups. the tail wasn't so bad, but it took almost all of their strength to get the subsequent legs up and the cups out. that's like 1/2" lifting. sure, rolling it on a hardwood floor is no big deal, but lifting each leg possibly as much as a foot to get the remaining rolled rug under it (while they're standing there, and having to lift their legs as well while lifting the piano for the passage of the rug) seems a good way to use up one's hernia deductible. and there's the little matter of perfectly lining up the rug with the pad, of which there's a 1" tolerance.

so i prefer to solve problems i'm well qualified to. both the rug store and my piano mover, along with many esteemed opinions here (sam et. al.), indicate that the best way to do this is to get the piano out of the room first, lay the pad & rug to my satisfaction, then return the piano on the dolly (it will have to be broken down just like it was being moved to another location) to the new location and set her back up.

the risk (injury to piano and/or people, and/or a rug that's ill-placed and/or out of alignment) just ain't worth the reward (saving under $200).

#1995160 - 12/05/12 06:11 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: pianoloverus]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Your comment was incorrectly critical of the OP. I already gave my opinion about what I thought was the best way to put the rug under the piano earlier in the thread.

Apparently OP didn't agree with your idea and you found it necessary to insult him for no reason. Your rude and sarcastic comment about him starting a thread but not wanting different opinions was just plain wrong. He got a large variety of opinions and reached a conclusion.

The gifts just keep on coming... thumb

#1997414 - 12/10/12 03:44 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

fait accompli...

#1997423 - 12/10/12 04:09 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Minnesota Marty Offline

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

#1997550 - 12/10/12 07:46 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
OG Ryder Offline

Loc: San Diego
What a piano! This reminds me of when I removed the rug under mine by myself...much harder than it sounds! On one knee I wedged my shoulder under the corner and lifted each side up, pulling the rug out from underneath the legs inch by inch. I would never attempt it again.

#1997586 - 12/10/12 08:53 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Look what the cat did!... the cat is very proud, and rightfully so. The room looks great.

How has the rug effected the sound?

#1997633 - 12/10/12 10:51 PM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Dave B]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave B
Look what the cat did!... the cat is very proud, and rightfully so. The room looks great.

How has the rug effected the sound?

thanks for the compliments.

the rug definitely dampens down the room, much dryer sound now, which is both good (not clangy or brassy sounding anymore) and bad (i can no longer hide poor technique with room reverb, altho i can compensate by overpedaling :-)

#2236615 - 02/24/14 12:50 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
RX2Bunny Offline

Loc: Chicago
I am looking for more information about putting a rug under my piano and found this old thread. Just wondering, does it make any difference if I buy a rug to put under the piano (but not big enough to be under the Caster cups) vs. a bigger rug that would be under all the 3 legs?

thanks!

#2236671 - 02/24/14 07:42 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
Minnesota Marty Offline

The sound absorption will increase as the rug gets larger. One thing that many people forget is to have the rug large enough to easily accommodate the bench area. It gets awkward if the bench ends up half-way on the rug.

#2236694 - 02/24/14 08:45 AM Re: best way to put a rug under a piano... [Re: Entheo]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Love the trap set too.
And the Cat Patrol.
If the window panes are thermal thumb
If no direct sunlight thumb thumb
If the non-opening type thumb thumb thumb
If a sliding glass door, use sparingly, if at all.

Looks great!

Piano Technicę Blog

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
163 registered (36251, accordeur, anrpiano, alfredo capurso, 55 invisible), 1748 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153708 Topics
2253294 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Acoustics and Piano Positioning
by PNO40
10 minutes 58 seconds ago
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
16 minutes 44 seconds ago
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
16 minutes 51 seconds ago
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
18 minutes 8 seconds ago
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
35 minutes 7 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission