2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 253 of 452 1 2 251 252 253 254 255 451 452
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
jpf: no worries I have pain I just don't notice it while I'm sleeping (thank god.)

Okay my take is why not do both? Why does it always have to be exclusive? I think both skills are very important and should both be learned (ideally I suck at ear stuff and have no idea of how to start improving it.)

I'm not sure why it's usually for or against instead of both. I think we need all the skills we can get.

Also why not use different methods to learn? I use two different types of method books to get a more balanced learning. Why not use one method that is by the ear?

Food for thought.

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you can play by ear you can still play when your hands hurt!

Seriously, I think everyone should play the way they like and we should also listen to music we like.

Learner
S
S
Made it to Blues For Wynton Marsalis tonight. Things will start
slowly down once I make back to where I was in the book. By the way I chose the username from a Billy Joel lyric from the song "Piano Man".

Last edited by SmellsLikeABeer; 11/16/12 03:35 AM.
S
S
Originally Posted by jpf

Stephen, I wear trifocals aside from my hand/wrist pain issues.. how does that figure vs Dyslexia? Do I have a chance?

Becca, dont ask for pain, be careful what you wish for. There are enough of us that have it for everyone I figure.

I am really taking my time, between pain, lack of practice/time and wanting to be consistant, I should be done with book 1 by the time I'm 85. I figure 30 or so years should do it. LOL

Ray Charles had a bit of eye trouble too, he did OK wink.
For those sleeping funny, I'd recommend some qi gong or yoga, increased circulation is always good for folks. smile

jpf Offline
You "guys and gals are great". I needed to get some external validation on being able to perhaps do both. Now I feel better about not knowing every major, minor chord by heart but still be able to play them, phew that's a relief. Music theory is very cool, just takes a while to get it understood in my head.

And yes Ray Charles sure did have his share of eye trouble and did more than fine!

I knew this would be an awesome forum. I WAS RIGHT!

Thanks to all.

Nord Stage2 HA88, Roland Juno G, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Micro Korg, Yamaha P85, Studio Gear (Analog and Digital) etc etc.
Thanks for the tempo info!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats Smells!

I'm still on Jingle Bells. I'm now working on getting it up to speed. smile I'm so glad that I went and started all my books from scratch. I'm doing way better this time around and have almost no frustration.

Also, a huge bonus, I've noticed my flying high pinkies have come down! It's only on passages with the fourth finger in use that it will pop up and as soon as I notice it I slow the passage down until it relaxes back into a curved position. A HUGE accomplishment for me.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well done Becca! I'm on The Gift To Be Simple in Alfred's now. I noticed yesterday that my fingers are going automatically a few notes before on L hand ready for chord changes. I hadn't really thought about it. I then noticed that it tells you when to be ready to change in the book and I hadn't seen that and am doing what it says. I'm working on perfecting this piece now and adding the dynamics into my playing.

Originally Posted by SmellsLikeABeer
By the way I chose the username from a Billy Joel lyric from the song "Piano Man".

Ah, that was the first 45 single I bought.

1978 Dittrich Acoustic Upright
Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh Edward bet your happy! It's nice when your fingers finally remember where to go and do it ahead of time! That's a big step!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am Becca- not played today, nodded off on couch watching something on iplayer and just woke up! I had an interview at a college today for learning support work and was offered some hours which is great. I was told by the man at the desk who gave me my visitor card that they have pianos there! They teach music there and he said people can play the pianos when the students are not playing them.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I finished up with Merrily we Roll Along and Largo today. Decided not to get them up to speed just concentrated on being able to play different dynamics in each hand. Am very pleased with being able to do so after only a few days. smile

So on to Mary Ann!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
I finished up with Merrily we Roll Along and Largo today. Decided not to get them up to speed just concentrated on being able to play different dynamics in each hand. Am very pleased with being able to do so after only a few days. smile

So on to Mary Ann!

Well done BeccaBb! I'm on Alouette- just getting the timing more exact. I went on from page 47 that I was on with my teacher. He was pleased I went on by myself and played this. He has given me Largo by Dvorak that is in my Classical Piano book- some of them are grade 3 but think this is about grade 2. I will be wortking on that and Cafe Vienna on page 50 of Alfred's as well, I can also do pages 51-58 in Alfred's as well but Largo and Cafe Vienna are my main ones.
We also did scales- need to do left hand scales more.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow Edward your just clipping along! smile How many pieces are you working on at once? (Just curious cause I'm wondering if I have too little or too much...)

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
D
D
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to adult piano learning. I had one piano class in High School like 25 years ago and now I want to learn piano myself.

What I want to ask is that what is the difference between the Alfred all-in-one book and the Alfred's Basic Adult Piano lesson book 1? Which is a better book to start with? I started with the basic book last week and is now up to around page 27. Should I use both books or just stick to one?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi dingdong, welcome to the forum and the Alfred's 1 thread!

The adult all in one course includes theory and technique while the Adult basic does not. That's really the only difference. Just use the book you have but look into getting the matching theory and technique books that go with it.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
I
I
I appreciate knowing about this adult piano course. I am very new to this forum and am interested in returning to playing the piano. I started lessons at 7 years old and quit by the time I was 10. I think I had a boring teacher because I have always quit doing anything once I was bored. I certainly wish now at age 64 I had switched teachers and continued but that decision was out of my hands. Currently, I only have an electronic keyboard which I'm using to see how much I remember. I can't afford an acoustic piano at this point just to see how it goes. I video taped myself playing Nearer My God to Thee and sent it to a professional piano entertainer with whom I friends. His comments were that I had musicality, not to worry about the "clams", whatever those are (mistakes?) and to keep practicing. While I never intend to be on stage (having a heart attack thinking about that) I would like to be able to play a song completely through without people making excuses to leave the house. So, again, thank you for sharing about the adult piano course book which I shall now go search out.

B
B
Hi all, I've not learned an instrument ever before and have just started plinking my way throught the Alfreds 'Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course' book today. I'm happy to have finally commenced the journey of learning this fine instrument. As this is day 1, I am acutely aware of my uncoordinated fingers and disjointed efforts at the keyboard. I look forward to all of your posts as motivation, and as a guide to what is on the horizon smile

Dave

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum badgerops and islandbabe!

Dave, I still feel mighty uncoordinated! LOL. Although it is getting easier as I go. Looking forward to your updates!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the new members and fellow Alfred's students smile

@badgerops: it gets better very quickly! And it's great fun.

Page 253 of 452 1 2 251 252 253 254 255 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission