Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 202 of 242 < 1 2 ... 200 201 202 203 204 ... 241 242 >
Topic Options
#1988116 - 11/18/12 11:02 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
What? No interruptions so far from Wayne? Has even that stalwart vacated the premises?

Delighted to hear you're able to get back to the piano, Recaredo, though we may miss you in the forum (as we did in the ABF recital) and thank you for the Fingal's Cave.

I'm going to resist the urge to post all four movements of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade. As it's my final entry for the day I'll stick with the fourth movement that brings together all the themes so far in the work.

A classic and popular orchestral work, I'm sure you're both familiar with it already. smile

Have a great and quiet week until next week!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1988146 - 11/18/12 12:23 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Thanks Richard for a delightful morning of Sunday classical music! The Scheherazade takes me back to my early college days in the 1960s. It was the first time I was introduced to the music of Rimsky Korsakov.

I shall be listening to the other postings a bit later. I've been listening to a sampling of them and really eager to have my alone time tonight to listen without interruption.

It is interesting that you've been posting Russian compositions today. I've been listening to a number of selections lately by Rachmaninoff when I'm not working on Satie!

Thanks Richard! I will be sending you a PM later today.

#1988175 - 11/18/12 01:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Originally Posted By: zrtf90
What? No interruptions so far from Wayne?

Surely you meant "contribution" wink

I've been busy today trying to get a decent Satie recording, unsuccesfully frown Oh well, there's a little time left yet smile

#1988176 - 11/18/12 01:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

By the way, good job on your ABF recital entry Richard smile

#1988245 - 11/18/12 05:30 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I know you guy's aren't fans of Xfactor, but I gotta share!

#1988254 - 11/18/12 05:53 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Wayne, I’m pretty sure your performance for the Satie recital will be finally marvellous wink. Hey, that girl has a beautiful voice! Is she a contestant?

Griffin, I hope you’re doing well. I’m also enjoying these Sunday postings (thanks Richard!). I hadn’t heard that symphonic poem by Balakirev before; what a pleasant surprise!

Btw, Richard, I wanted to congratulate you for your victory over the red dot. I listened to your performance for the ABF recital, and I did love your phrasing in every passage. That was really a fantastic rendition on Fauré’s music. My compliments!

My website

#1988258 - 11/18/12 06:03 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
What? No interruptions so far from Wayne?

Surely you meant "contribution" wink

Yes 'contribution' would more correct but less "banter". wink

By the way, good job on your ABF recital entry Richard smile

Much appreciated, Wayne. smile Sorry about the bagpipes and I hope your plonker is recovering.

I know you guy's aren't fans of Xfactor, but I gotta share!

I don't use cosmetics. Was the chap on first speaking English? I got nothing before dot-co-dot-uk! What did it have to do with make-up?

#1988261 - 11/18/12 06:11 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Recaredo, you are too kind! It wasn't really the red dot that I was worried about as I was too busy overcoming technical problems. I must find a way of monitoring what's being recorded as on tape the feedback is instant but on the PC there's a delay of a bout a quaver which really throws me so I have to have the sound off.

Still, I've put paid to the shenanigans and I'll be able to start preparing for the Mendelssohn once I decide which piece I'll be going for though it looks like the next ABF recital will be next so I won't need to decide before December.

#1988338 - 11/19/12 12:00 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
griffin2417 Offline

Time for the vocal entry. This is German born, but of Russian ancestry, Ivan Rebroff, he of the four and a half octave compass. Tom Jones eat your heart out. He was often on UK TV during my youth. This is gorgeous.

WOW!!! I haven't finished all of my listening yet. However, this one skyrocketed to the top of my favorite list today! This dude's voice blows my mind! I agree with Richard. "Tom Jones eat your heart out". wink

Back to the rest of my listening time! Later!

#1988346 - 11/19/12 12:26 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
griffin2417 Offline

I apologise for my tardy start this morning. Mass was extended a little and I had trouble finding the thread!

My goodness, a dozen entries since last week! And some missing entrants in the ABF recital. I'm having doubts about the total benefit of the RST recitals on the shared spirit.

But it has been a busy week at work and I've been rushin' around a bit, which inspired my theme for today's choices.

Here's Balakirev's gloriously picturesque symphonic poem, Russia.

Brilliant postings Richard! Thanks for the exploration of Russian music. I particularly appreciated being introduced to the music of Balakirev. Thanks!

I had planned to PM you by now. However, this is the first time today I've had a chance for some time to listen to your postings free from interruptions. Since it is getting near bedtime here, I will be in touch on Monday.

Thanks, and good night!

#1988398 - 11/19/12 06:21 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

lol @ Richard, and Recaredo, she was a contestant until lastnight frown

#1989040 - 11/20/12 06:05 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yesterday I listened to Romanian Folk Dances by Bartók on the Radio, and loved this music. These dances form a sort of suite of six little movements.

Here we can listen to a beautiful version for violin and piano. The image and sound quality is not very good in this video, but the artistically speaking I think this version is splendid.

Night!

My website

#1989624 - 11/22/12 12:30 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
griffin2417 Offline

I loved your selection Recaredo. Thanks for sharing it. I'm hoping I'll be able to share some posts very soon. Right now, I'm trying to get a decent recording of my Satie piece. Once I get that behind me I'll be able to get back to sharing some music.

Tomorrow is a holiday and we have visitors coming. It's been another hectic day with cleaning, cooking, and rehearsing. I must be off to bed!

Good night!

#1990137 - 11/23/12 07:28 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Evening all. love this smile

#1990138 - 11/23/12 07:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

where is Rossy?

#1990228 - 11/24/12 07:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes Wayne, Rossy has not posted in a while. I suppose he is just busy and he’s doing well.

I wanted to post the intermezzo that Granados wrote for his opera “Goyescas”. Apparently Granados had to compose this intermezzo in only one night, and he never was very happy with the result.

But I’m pretty sure Granados would have loved this version for cello and piano, performed by Jacqueline du Pré.

My website

#1990429 - 11/24/12 05:57 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
One good song - two good versions:

[video:youtube]

[/video]

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1990602 - 11/25/12 07:03 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Did someone mention ABBA ?
Oh yeah, baby !

(disclaimer: actually don't love this song, but love the message and....check out those
outfits !!! wow !!!)

#1990610 - 11/25/12 07:49 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Good morning, PJ! How nice to see you! I dress like that most weekends, PJ. smile Oh, yeah.

Gosh, so much music posted here this week, Where am I going to find the time to listen to it all?

Well, are we all resting after a busy week?

Don't worry, you can relax to this. George Butterworth was a soldier in WWI who was killed in the trenches. Eton, Oxford and the RCM and dead at 31. What a waste! Another voice silenced prematurely.

At least the war was worth it!

Wasn't it?

#1990618 - 11/25/12 08:26 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Franz Sussmayr was a student of Salieri and a friend of Mozart. He completed Mozart's Requiem after the great composer died.

This is his Sinfonia Turchesca (Turkish Symphony)

#1990630 - 11/25/12 09:05 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

We move on to a rather better known composer for the vocal entry this week.

Like many of Verdi's choruses this one is very catchy, very well known, and easy to sing with passion.

As someone who trod the boards for twelve years I admire the professionalism of this company in the face of such a reception.

#1990635 - 11/25/12 09:41 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Why do I feel uncomfortable posting a solo piano video on a piano forum? This is the first solo piano piece I've offered in all the Sunday Classicals I've done. Odd!

No-one writes slow movements like Beethoven but this is a special contribution to the canon from Mozart. It has taken years to grow on me and in the hands of Mitsuko Uchida has taken a step closer. I'm still working on the Fantasy in D minor and was unsure which of this or the Rondo in A minor I will be tackling next but this looks like getting the nod now.

There's a remark on YT that Uchida is the greatest Mozart interpreter of all time. I'm uneasy about such thoughts. On a philosophical note I don't think Uchida plays this piece like Mozart did. We know that Beethoven wasn't terribly complimentary of Mozart's ability at the keyboard, whose technique developed in the era of the harpsichord, even though he was impressed by his compositional skills.

Rather than thinking that we hear Mozart through Uchida, I think we hear Uchida through Mozart. When I play, I'm not interested in trying to sound like Bach, Beethoven or Brahms but like me. I think that if it wasn't this way we wouldn't give so much attention to the great performers and credence to their interpretations.

#1990640 - 11/25/12 10:03 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

We end as we began with an English composer. One of our finest, Sir Edward Elgar.

After working on a few ideas at the piano his wife came in, bringing his tea and humming this theme and then he knew what to work on.

We finish with Nimrod, from the Enigma variations.

I understand that next week the Satie recital will be finished and that the thread will revert to its staus quo. I look forward to it with bated breath.

And, as always, have a great week till next week.

Slán agus beannacht.

#1990685 - 11/25/12 12:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Absolutely wonderful postings everyone! There are a few that I have to use my desktop PC to view, however. My handheld device won't display PJ's Abba posting, or Richard's posting of Uchia's piano performance. I'm looking forward to viewing them a bit later.

Richard, I could relate to your comments of posting a piano performance for the first time doing Sunday classical postings. I had that same odd feeling when I posted the first piano performance many months after I had started posting the Sunday classical music here on RST! Right now I'm getting on with trying to get a decent recording of my Satie piece for the upcoming themed recital!!

Richard, thanks again for doing all of the Sunday classical music which allows me the time to participate in the Satie.

Off I go to rehearse. Cheers! smile

#1990761 - 11/25/12 04:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Richard, these Sunday postings have been a real pleasure. I knew nothing about Franz Sussmayr, but I really enjoyed the “Turkish Symphony”. I agree with your comments about Uchida’s performances, only the great musicians can offer a personal point of view from master works, and that woman is really one of them.

Thanks again for these outstanding postings, Richard.

My website

#1990799 - 11/25/12 07:51 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
I heard this on classic fm today.It's a recording I own but haven't listened to for years.
The piece itself is a bit overblown for my liking really but I just love the piano entries.Great playing from Alexeev and the ECO.

#1990930 - 11/26/12 04:33 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I dress like that most weekends,

smile Pmsl

#1991030 - 11/26/12 11:04 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
I'm having a lot of work pressure and, consequently, missing all the beautiful musics posted here in the last 2-3 weeks frown Got some bit of time today but can't decide where should I start to listen to! crazy

BTW, Richard, congratulations and thanks a lot for giving us the opportunity to enjoy your beautiful passionate performance on this month's ABF recital!thumb The level of expressions you extracted out of that old digital piano is quite amazing! I'm looking forward to enjoy and learn from more of your performances!

I'm getting excited as our themed recital is getting closer! Can't wait to enjoy all the beautiful performances!

#1991133 - 11/26/12 02:49 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rupak, Nice to see you, we’ve missed your posts.

Great choice, Timmy, I also love Shostakovich’s music. Thanks for posting.

My website

#1991358 - 11/27/12 07:56 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Good morning everyone! Finally, I've finished my Satie recording for the themed recital. Now I can spend a little more time sharing some music and catching up on my other activities! I'll be back to my Sunday classical postings this weekend.

Today I've got some blues to share. Here is a great combination -- John Lee Hooker and Carlos Santana performing "Chill Out." Enjoy!

Edited by griffin2417 (11/27/12 07:58 AM)

Page 202 of 242 < 1 2 ... 200 201 202 203 204 ... 241 242 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
October Piano Bar
by ladypayne
09/30/14 11:24 PM
Kimbal Viennese
by Jennymomofboys
09/30/14 10:40 PM
Taking the hammers with you to do voicing.. ?
by InfiniteClouds
09/30/14 08:19 PM
Pop instrumental
by Michael Forbes
09/30/14 08:05 PM
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
09/30/14 06:28 PM
Who's Online
109 registered (Abby Pianoman, A Guy, anotherscott, 37 invisible), 1467 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157900 Topics
2319008 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission