2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1993536 12/02/12 07:56 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes anyway.

I have been asked to play at a carol concert in a couple of weeks time, a repeat of a similar event last year. On the last occasion I played all the tunes in the keys given in Hymns Ancient and Modern and I found that some of the tunes were pitched too high to be comfortable for singing. I guess that part of the problem is that few in the audience are regular singers.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to choosing keys in these circumstances?

Many Thanks, J-C.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
It's very hard to find ranges/keys that are comfortable for both men and women. Something to keep in mind that many traditional hymns have a range that it outside of most people's comfort zone now than when they were written.

Usually anything lower than C above middle C will work for women, and men the same an octave lower. So it's best to look at the range that the particular key signature will span, and then adjust accordingly to keep it comfortable. It's OK to go higher than this for one note or two, so don't obsess about it. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Thank you for your reply.

It's interesting isn't it. Most of these tunes were written in the 19th century and many of the melodies go up to E. Presumably when they were written that would have been comfortable for a congregation; today apparently not. It is hard to believe that there can have been any organic change in 150 years or so which could account for it so is it perhaps self-consciousness or lack of practice?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would have suggested going with the hymnal keys, but apparently there has been a shift-change!

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Jean Claude
Thank you for your reply.

It's interesting isn't it. Most of these tunes were written in the 19th century and many of the melodies go up to E. Presumably when they were written that would have been comfortable for a congregation; today apparently not. It is hard to believe that there can have been any organic change in 150 years or so which could account for it so is it perhaps self-consciousness or lack of practice?

I don't think people sing as much as they used to. I know that sounds a little crazy, but 150 years ago, entertainment was sitting in circle having a sing along. Today, entertainment is staring at the TV while breathing through your mouth.

B
B
You'll never find keys that will suit everyone if they aren't singers. What people should do is go down (or up) an octave if the note gets too high or too low for comfort. But many people can't pitch properly on big intervals anyway (how many times have you heard people - especially men - singing the octave leap in 'Happy Birthday' as a major 6th? grin).......

If music be the food of love, play on!
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I would not change keys if the arrangements you have don't go above the E above middle C in the melody. Some carols (such as Silent Night) will start to get too low for people if you take them down lower than that.

1989 Baldwin R
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Morodiene
It's very hard to find ranges/keys that are comfortable for both men and women. Something to keep in mind that many traditional hymns have a range that it outside of most people's comfort zone now than when they were written.

Usually anything lower than C above middle C will work for women, and men the same an octave lower. So it's best to look at the range that the particular key signature will span, and then adjust accordingly to keep it comfortable. It's OK to go higher than this for one note or two, so don't obsess about it. wink

Spot on! I transposed all the carols so that the top note was either C or C#(to avoid repeating keys)and found that there were no problems for either male or female voices, so thank you very much.

J-C.

Originally Posted by DanS

Today, entertainment is staring at the TV while breathing through your mouth.

hahahahah

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission