Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1993398 - 12/01/12 09:11 PM At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
So this semester has been huge for me. I've had a number of breakthroughs in my playing and have conquered a couple pieces that I once judged as far too difficult for me to play. I've learned a lot about practice, phrasing, and technique. Obviously I'm not saying I'm done with my journey, I'll never be done, but I feel like I'm finally beginning to sound the way I always knew I could.

So for me, the moment came when I took my chopin ├ętude, 25 no.2, and brought it in one week from a stumbling mess to a cohesive unit, then in another week got it to a slow performance tempo, and now a week after that I feel like I have the phrasing and feel of the piece at any tempo I choose. The final confirmation came when I played it for my professor the first week I had it down as he looked at me and just said, "now did you know you could do that? Let's just take a minute and celebrate."

How about for you? Was there a moment where you finally felt successful and had the confidence to take on some of the more difficult repertoire?

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1993402 - 12/01/12 09:25 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Haven't made it there yet.

#1993415 - 12/01/12 10:05 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
DonaldLee Offline

I had my "aha" moment with the piano 1.5 months ago, when I played Les Adieux for my studio class. I had been struggling with making the piece speak, and getting the 3rd movement up to speed, and I got tired of having disappointing lessons, so I practiced the piece relentlessly. To make a long story short, I played it at studio class from memory, and stunned myself and my professor with the quality of my playing. I found my "zone" for performances, and learned some practice techniques that work really well for me. Also, my other performances have been awesome since then.

I also had a technical breakthrough tonight. My scales with literally stuck at 132 bpm for some reason, and I was able to do them at 160 tonight. I guess I finally figured out how to be completely relaxed, and keep my hand quiet, yet be super accurate all at the same time.
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#1993660 - 12/02/12 01:28 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
Copake Offline

Loc: Columbia/Westchester Counties ...
Six decades later and still waiting.

#1993663 - 12/02/12 01:30 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Hah! You beat me to it.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1993723 - 12/02/12 03:33 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: Arghhh]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Arghhh
Haven't made it there yet.

Same here. Still chipping away hoping for a breakthrough.
But it's inspiring to read the success stories here. I hope more folks will contribute to the thread.

#1993833 - 12/02/12 07:31 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: Ferdinand]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

When i learned Alborada del gracioso.

I had just played my sophomore recital and had two weeks until the end of the semester. I learned, memorized, and performed Alborada at the end of semester masterclass. It wasn't great, but doing it in only two weeks was a great feeling! It gave me inspriation to take on the bigger pieces I had been looking at.

#1993838 - 12/02/12 07:38 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Not yet. Starting to lose hope.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1993846 - 12/02/12 07:52 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
At the moment, I feel crushed. I'll never get there.

Deborah

#1993850 - 12/02/12 08:05 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
BethH Offline

Loc: WI
I'm not there either. Not that I wish the others to not be there either, but it does make me feel better that I have some company.

I don't see myself getting "there" either. It's discouraging for me as well. I like piano, but I feel stuck right now. It's so much, much work. I don't mind the work but wow... it is a lot of work to be decent.

I envy those of you who are 20-ish, and practice hours every day, and make good progress in your studies. I'm happy that I didn't major in music, but envious of those of you who are having that opportunity.

#1993884 - 12/02/12 09:41 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I guess that would be when I gave my first solo recital, when I was thirteen. Little did I know at the time that it would also be the only solo recital I'd give...which goes to show how illusory the feeling can be.

#1993936 - 12/03/12 12:22 AM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I feel like I haven't arrived yet frown

I think it'll be the day I give a technically competent performance on stage that involves more than just 1 short piece.

Edited by trigalg693 (12/03/12 12:23 AM)

#1994048 - 12/03/12 09:51 AM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

The point when I feel I've arrived is when I play Rach 3 with an orchestra without any wrong notes and with the virtuosity and power of Gavrilov or Sokolov.....which will probably be in my 3rd lifetime grin.

#1994198 - 12/03/12 03:38 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
My concerto debut (Stravinsky). But it didn't open any new doors for me. I'm already too busy to commit to more, anyway.

#1994222 - 12/03/12 04:40 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
I feel like I will arrive at that point when the learning of new rep doesn't require overcoming substantial technical hurdles, and I can fairly quickly progress to just working on interpretation. As is, I'm finding that there are fewer hurdles than there used to be, but there's usually still something. I'm not there yet...

#1994370 - 12/03/12 10:38 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: MarkH]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Originally Posted By: MarkH
I feel like I will arrive at that point when the learning of new rep doesn't require overcoming substantial technical hurdles, and I can fairly quickly progress to just working on interpretation. As is, I'm finding that there are fewer hurdles than there used to be, but there's usually still something. I'm not there yet...

I think I agree with this. I mean, I'm definitely not there either. I guess I more feel like I am really just beginning the journey, having spent the last 15 years learning different things the piano could do...and now I'm beginning to be able to do them. I guess I'll really feel "there" next year when I give a senior recital that will have a full Sonata, a few concert etudes, and a few other undecided works...

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#1994397 - 12/03/12 11:59 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: gooddog]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: gooddog
At the moment, I feel crushed. I'll never get there.

What happened, Deborah?

Pogo, you too, what happened? was it the memory slip?

p.s. I'm certainly not there!

Edited by sophial (12/04/12 01:11 AM)

#1994406 - 12/04/12 12:52 AM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I'm not there yet.

#1994452 - 12/04/12 03:45 AM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: MarkH]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MarkH

I dunno, I feel like I've gotten to the point where the technical hurdles don't feel that bad, but my performances are far from secure. Scriabin 5 for example did not feel painful to learn, most of Chopin feels pretty easy technically (read through some of the hard Etudes the other day and it didn't seem so bad anymore), and while I have difficulty with the harder Liszt Transcendental Etudes I feel like I just need to refine my technique a little to master them, yet I cannot pull off a clean performance on stage for my life. A pianist is judged by on-stage performance afterall.

Edited by trigalg693 (12/04/12 03:48 AM)

#1994665 - 12/04/12 01:49 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
If we think of Vladimir's quote ("Perfection itself is imperfection") it is probably good that most of us think they have not arrived yet. What is important is that you are happy with your progress.

Music is my best friend.

#1994702 - 12/04/12 04:05 PM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
The answer depends completely on each person's definition of "arrived" which is not a term typically used to describe pianistic skill. I don't see the point to the question. I can't imagine a serious student asking their teacher if they've "arrived" yet.

The "answer" is completely arbitrary. For the OP his arrival involved something that some would consider remarkable and others would consider rather insignificant. IMO the question is similar to "When will I no longer be a beginner?" but even far more arbitrary and vague.

Edited by pianoloverus (12/04/12 05:08 PM)

#1996699 - 12/09/12 01:51 AM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
When I walked through the door! :p

#1996707 - 12/09/12 02:06 AM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I was six years old. It was my first recital. I had on a red and white striped taffeta dress, black Maryjanes and a head full of Shirley Temple curls. I played that timeless classic "The Waltz of the Toys." When I finished, I stood up to thunderous applause. I said to myself: Wow, this is the life for me! And the rest is history.

#1996745 - 12/09/12 05:02 AM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
Ian_G Offline

Loc: Germany
Taffeta, darling.

Taffeta, sweetheart!

I was a younger lad -- it was back in my wild San Francisco days, when I was one of the mad ones, and I gave my first professional recital (Liszt), and O! did I pace before, and O! did I eat a banana.

#1996811 - 12/09/12 08:56 AM Re: At what point did you feel like you "arrived" as a pianist [Re: TrueMusic]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
great question, actually.

having not yet arrived, the definition for me is when i am able to play pieces consistently while being able to express what i hear in my head & heart.

i see this as a psychological threshold more than a technical one, since as an adult restarter i have no illusions about achieving virtuosity (wish i could sit down and sight read pieces too, but that seems an unlikely goal as well).

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (anotherscott, aesop, Augustina, Abby Pianoman, 43 invisible), 1486 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76039 Members
42 Forums
157220 Topics
2309179 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
09/01/14 09:02 PM
Kawai ES7 v1.15 software update - now available
by Kawai James
09/01/14 08:43 PM
Mason & Hamlin's action vs. Kawai's Millennium III action
by ColinDS
09/01/14 08:32 PM
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
09/01/14 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
09/01/14 05:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission