2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
It's the new kid on the block. There's a lot out there about many other pianos, but only a few things about this one (a detail on azpianonews and an 18-min youtube video).

Do you like it? How's the action? How stable/solid is the cabinet?

Thanks.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
It's new, so there's less accumulated information, but the PX150, PX350, and PX850 have been quite the hot topic on the forum lately. The action on these three is all the same, but it is a brand new action. There have been various opinions on them, but I think it's fair to say that the consensus is that it's a step up from the previous models.

Having said that, all these Casios are still lowish end pianos by forum standards. They compete very well with introductory models from the big three (Roland, Yamaha, Kawai). Maybe compare the Casio PX850 to the lower Yamaha arius models like the YDP161.

All these Casio models seem to have lots of impressive tech specs for the price, but we often find people preferring Yamahas on a subjective level. For example, I have seen several people prefer the low end Yamaha P105 to the Casio PX150. So tech specs aren't everything.

This is a comparison with a real Grand Piano!

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m - Yamaha P125 + VSTi
S
OP Offline
S
I'm at work, will listen more closely at home.

My initial question; however, is if I buy the Casio, will Natalia come play at my house?

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I don't own a PX-850 but got to play one last Friday and I must say they have come on leaps and bounds since the original PX-800. The major criticism I had with it's predecessors was the "wobbly black key" issue but they seem to have resolved that now. Comparing the PX-850 with other DPs at double it's price in the store I'd have to think of a really good excuse not to buy it at the £799 it was on sale for.

D
D
I just bought a casio px 850 last week and am thoroughly enjoying it. I was deciding between a yamaha ydp 181 and the Casio px 850. I thought the action and sound were comparable between the two instruments. I ultimately went with the 850 due mainly to price.

If the cabinet is important to you, I think Yamaha has the edge. The ydp 181 also has a small lcd screen which makes adjusting features much easier. My px 850 did not come with a bench (the 181 did), so consider that in pricing as well.

If you are looking in the mid-range, I would definitely give the px 850 a look.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Great video, thanks for posting Qbert!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
The video says it's actually a Casio AP-450.

Digital piano vs. acoustic concert grand!
Can the sound of brand the new digital pianos (http://www.casio-air.eu) keep up with an acoustic concert grand?

How good the new CASIO "AiR" Technology is really?
With his Celviano AP-450 CASIO takes the challenge!

Also, did anyone ever try the PX-850 and other DPs of similar price? Could you share your thoughts?

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
- I was in NYC but going again- Sam Ash didn't seem to have it , but I think GC does and I will let you know.

Now, SA still had the PX-830 which I really like in terms of the action, keys, and speakers but I ended up at the time getting the P95 and adding the stand and pedals.

However, in my opinion I think the stand/pedals are a little nicer on the Yamaha compared to the 830 (although the matte finish one which was 830BK) was nicer.

In my opinion, it will be a good product esepcially with the 20w speakers, but I am happy I stuck with the slabs as I had to return one of each.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission