2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
That's a rather large size rug..there used to be a company that made rugs in the shape of a baby grand to just fit under the piano..a little beyond the legs.. not sure if there still around, that would be an easier alternative than jockeying a large area rug..

yes this is a large rug, which logistically precludes some suggestions about sliding the rug around and unrolling it from certain positions.

i experimented placing a rug under the piano, but frankly visual aesthetics are involved here as well... i, or should i say my wife, doesn't want a potpourri of rugs and baffles hanging off of the walls. with the hardwood floors, glass sliders, plaster walls and low ceilings the most effective and visually pleasing solution is a large rug with a pad underneath. drums, piano & furniture will go on top of it. it should tie everything together nicely.

the rug people have indicated that the only viable solution is moving the piano out of the room, and at this point that's what i'm going to do... have my movers roll it into the hall, lay down the pad and then the rug and get everything lined up perfectly, and then move the piano back in and relocate it a few inches further back in the room (been wanting to do this anyway).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And when everything settles in satisfactorily, invite your tuner back.

Learner
Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
And when everything settles in satisfactorily, invite your tuner back.

i'm hoping if i invite him quickly enough he'll give me a 'touch-up' rate smile

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
13 x 16 is a pretty large rug. It looks like it will fill up most of your floor space, so your problem is getting the piano in one corner of the room on top of one corner of the rug.

I would first position the pad and carpet where you want them in the other three corners. You then have the rest of the pad and carpet bunched up in the center of the room. As you lift each leg, have someone pull the pad in under each leg until you are happy where it is positioned. Then repeat with the carpet, which you obviously hope will overlap the pad.

It can be a two person job. For the lifting of each leg, position a chair next to the leg and right at the piano. Sit on the chair and use your knees to lift and hold the leg up. It is surprisingly easy to lift and hold a leg up on a large grand this way.

Fazioli 228.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I read stuff like this and my only comment is "WHERE ARE THE MEN" Are we really this helpless?? So it takes a few go-rounds to get it into position with a couple of friends/neighbors. I have done this kind of thing by myself with a hydraulic car jack and a length of a 4"X 4" with my concert-grands. Alternately, you can make a template of the location of the legs and transfer that location to the rug using some masking tape, then just line up the tape with the wheels. Honestly we can't be this stupid or helpless or it's all over!!!!

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by John Pels
I read stuff like this and my only comment is "WHERE ARE THE MEN" Are we really this helpless?? So it takes a few go-rounds to get it into position with a couple of friends/neighbors. I have done this kind of thing by myself with a hydraulic car jack and a length of a 4"X 4" with my concert-grands. Alternately, you can make a template of the location of the legs and transfer that location to the rug using some masking tape, then just line up the tape with the wheels. Honestly we can't be this stupid or helpless or it's all over!!!!

Haha, the same thing occurred to me. People are so dainty these days. wink Calling piano movers to install a rug? Nah, just get a few decent size guys and get busy! Pianos are heavy, yes, but the fact that they are on 3 legs means you never have to lift much of that weight. You just have to get your strategy right before you start lifting.

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
john pels & ando, you can choose to get your buddies, a case of beer and a car jack to lift your 900 lb $65k piano while trying to jockey a 13x16 pad-then-rug underneath it but even tho i may have slept at a holiday inn express last night i'd prefer to make sure something like the following video doesn't happen...

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
It's just a matter of physics, Entheo. If you think it through, it's not so hard. I've moved heavier things than your piano with just a few strong men. But if you want to hire a mover, be my guest. Don't know why you started a thread asking for different opinions if you only see one possibility though. I wish you luck with the move though.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by ando
It's just a matter of physics, Entheo. If you think it through, it's not so hard. I've moved heavier things than your piano with just a few strong men. But if you want to hire a mover, be my guest. Don't know why you started a thread asking for different opinions if you only see one possibility though. I wish you luck with the move though.

+1

My wife and I alone have moved our Yamaha G7 (not light) all over our main floor. We moved it to the kitchen while carpet was installed, moved it to different locations in the living room for various reasons. I'm 70 years old and we recently moved it so we could have a flat screen mounted above it and then moved it back. Not a big deal and we never even considered calling a mover. It's a puzzle to me too.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

appreciate the good wishes ando; yes i have now thought it thru with the help of others here on this thread, and the many possibilities have been narrowed down to one.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Don't know why you started a thread asking for different opinions if you only see one possibility though.

The thread was started to get various opinions and then make a decision on how best to proceed.

Mission accomplished.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom

+1

My wife and I alone have moved our Yamaha G7 (not light) all over our main floor. We moved it to the kitchen while carpet was installed, moved it to different locations in the living room for various reasons. I'm 70 years old and we recently moved it so we could have a flat screen mounted above it and then moved it back. Not a big deal and we never even considered calling a mover. It's a puzzle to me too.
Your piano is much smaller and you didn't mentioned anything about trying to put a rug underneath the piano which is far different from rolling a piano. On a hardwood floor several people can usually move a piano no problem, but even there disasters can occur (and sometimes occur even in piano showrooms where the people have moved pianos hundreds of times).

Online Content
Why do you assume he only had one possibility in mind when he started the thread?

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Why do you assume he only had one possibility in mind when he started the thread?

Helpful as always, PL... wink

Online Content

Your comment was incorrectly critical of the OP. I already gave my opinion about what I thought was the best way to put the rug under the piano earlier in the thread.

Apparently OP didn't agree with your idea and you found it necessary to insult him for no reason. Your rude and sarcastic comment about him starting a thread but not wanting different opinions was just plain wrong. He got a large variety of opinions and reached a conclusion.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/05/12 04:43 PM.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Entheo, I'm just trying to have you give yourself more credit. As my family will attest, I perpetually play a game of "how do I get off the island?" If you really have to solve a problem, you will. As far as the beer goes, I don't drink, and as I have said, I have done this myself, and I told you how. Admittedly my pianos are a bit heavier, 1200 lbs and 1500lbs respectively, but it is still doable by lifting one leg at a time. In truth it is easier than rolling a piano, even on hardwoods which puts considerable stress on the legs and their attachment points. For what it's worth, I took down a tree about the same size as that in the video a few weeks ago. I notice that he seems to have no guy wires to persuade the tree to go in any particular direction.My plight was that going the other direction would have landed my tree on my neighbor's roof. He's a good neighbor, but as we know THAT has its limitations.

I laud you for asking for advice, but don't give up too quickly, nor sell yourself short!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom

+1

Your piano is much smaller and you didn't mentioned anything about trying to put a rug underneath the piano which is far different from rolling a piano. On a hardwood floor several people can usually move a piano no problem, but even there disasters can occur (and sometimes occur even in piano showrooms where the people have moved pianos hundreds of times).

I really don't think my G7 is much smaller than a C7, probably pretty darn close. The G7 is 7' 4". I haven't weighed it.

We moved the piano, had a whole room carpet installed and moved the piano back onto it. It was not a problem, obviously you have to use common sense and care.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John Pels
Entheo, I'm just trying to have you give yourself more credit. As my family will attest, I perpetually play a game of "how do I get off the island?" If you really have to solve a problem, you will. As far as the beer goes, I don't drink, and as I have said, I have done this myself, and I told you how. Admittedly my pianos are a bit heavier, 1200 lbs and 1500lbs respectively, but it is still doable by lifting one leg at a time. In truth it is easier than rolling a piano, even on hardwoods which puts considerable stress on the legs and their attachment points. For what it's worth, I took down a tree about the same size as that in the video a few weeks ago. I notice that he seems to have no guy wires to persuade the tree to go in any particular direction.My plight was that going the other direction would have landed my tree on my neighbor's roof. He's a good neighbor, but as we know THAT has its limitations.

I laud you for asking for advice, but don't give up too quickly, nor sell yourself short!

john, i'm not one who gives up easily -- i cycled up two of the hardest climbs in all of professional cycling (alpe d'huez and mont ventoux) last summer. but discretion is the better part of valor.

after moving in we decided that we wanted to move the piano back a few inches. my stepson (a strapping 25 year old) and his friend were called upon to lift each leg so i could remove the caster cups. the tail wasn't so bad, but it took almost all of their strength to get the subsequent legs up and the cups out. that's like 1/2" lifting. sure, rolling it on a hardwood floor is no big deal, but lifting each leg possibly as much as a foot to get the remaining rolled rug under it (while they're standing there, and having to lift their legs as well while lifting the piano for the passage of the rug) seems a good way to use up one's hernia deductible. and there's the little matter of perfectly lining up the rug with the pad, of which there's a 1" tolerance.

so i prefer to solve problems i'm well qualified to. both the rug store and my piano mover, along with many esteemed opinions here (sam et. al.), indicate that the best way to do this is to get the piano out of the room first, lay the pad & rug to my satisfaction, then return the piano on the dolly (it will have to be broken down just like it was being moved to another location) to the new location and set her back up.

the risk (injury to piano and/or people, and/or a rug that's ill-placed and/or out of alignment) just ain't worth the reward (saving under $200).

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Your comment was incorrectly critical of the OP. I already gave my opinion about what I thought was the best way to put the rug under the piano earlier in the thread.

Apparently OP didn't agree with your idea and you found it necessary to insult him for no reason. Your rude and sarcastic comment about him starting a thread but not wanting different opinions was just plain wrong. He got a large variety of opinions and reached a conclusion.

The gifts just keep on coming... thumb

Entheo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
fait accompli...

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission