Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1994042 - 12/03/12 09:16 AM Piano shopping -sound and dealer setting/presentation
Artemis1853 Offline

I started looking for a piano a few weeks ago, both at dealers and a couple of CL pianos. I really appreciate all of the responses on my prior inquiry here which spawns this one:

Every piano I have played has sounded very different from the others, including that of my parents'. It seems like setting may have huge impact on sound. My parents piano sounds so much warmer than all others. It is an older Steinway console on a padded carpet.

At one dealer, I played a Samick cont. console in a small lesson room and it sounded huge though I think that has to do with the rooms acoustics.

I went to a larger dealer and played a number of their used pianos on the open floor. The consoles were tight against the wall and didn't have much presence. Their studio uprights were back to back with some space between and sounded much more present which would be expected with studios and more open soundboards. Here i played among others a Baldwin 243 and liked the sound a lot once i opened the lid (but it was beaming the sound into my face) Being a large showroom, they didn't fill the room. None have sounded as warm (my term, not sure if that is the correct word) as the console in my parents living room. My parents have a really good tuner.

So how much of what you hear in a showroom, be it an open floor or a lesson studio, is the piano versus the floor material versus the size of the room and what's on the walls and type of ceiling versus the person who prepares the piano?

For the sake of transparency, other than a brief stint in 7th grade with piano lessons I have no musical education and have been self-learning for about 4 years.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1994622 - 12/04/12 12:37 PM Re: Piano shopping -sound and dealer setting/presentation [Re: Artemis1853]
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
I don't know if it's possible to say that room size contributes 12% to the sound, piano placement contributes 21%, and so on. The best thing to do is to keep playing different pianos, and keep developing your ear. You've already noticed some factors. I recommend playing the same piece on each piano; this helps you compare.

If you play two different pianos in the same room, you'll be able to factor out (mentally) the effect of the room itself. You can ask a dealer to move a piano slightly farther away from a wall (or closer) to hear the difference. Lastly, once you get a piano home, you can affect the sound a bit by its position in the room.

--Cy--
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#1995003 - 12/05/12 11:45 AM Re: Piano shopping -sound and dealer setting/presentation [Re: Artemis1853]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I think when upright pianos are placed back to back they can "borrow" resonance from each other through sympathetic vibrations and thus sound better than if they were alone. Can anyone confirm that?

Sophia

#1995007 - 12/05/12 11:53 AM Re: Piano shopping -sound and dealer setting/presentation [Re: sophial]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sophial
I think when upright pianos are placed back to back they can "borrow" resonance from each other through sympathetic vibrations and thus sound better than if they were alone. Can anyone confirm that?

Sophia

Under certain circumstances, it is possible that there could be sympathetic vibrations. Whether or not this will lead to "better" sound is doubtful.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1995011 - 12/05/12 11:55 AM Re: Piano shopping -sound and dealer setting/presentation [Re: Artemis1853]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Room acoustics has a big influence in how a piano sounds. However, the piano's design and prepping have more influence. A Samick is probably going to sound bad regardless of what room it's in.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1995164 - 12/05/12 06:34 PM Re: Piano shopping -sound and dealer setting/presentation [Re: sophial]
Cy Shuster, RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Sophia

Only if you pushed the pedal down on the second piano. Remember that the strings are damped when the keys are at rest.

--Cy--

P.S. Yes, there are about 20 undamped treble notes. Not going to make much difference.
www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Registered Piano Technician
Dampp-Chaser Certified Installer
PianoDisc Certified Service Technician

#1995168 - 12/05/12 06:46 PM Re: Piano shopping -sound and dealer setting/presentation [Re: Cy Shuster, RPT]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: Cy Shuster, RPT

Sophia

Only if you pushed the pedal down on the second piano. Remember that the strings are damped when the keys are at rest.

Yes, the strings are damped, but the sounding board of the second piano would resonate sympathetically.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1995188 - 12/05/12 07:43 PM Re: Piano shopping -sound and dealer setting/presentation [Re: Artemis1853]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Most dealers would move a piano for you. Never hurts to ask.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
Who's Online
153 registered (accordeur, 36251, 42 invisible), 1665 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76379 Members
42 Forums
157890 Topics
2318863 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission