Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1994271 - 12/03/12 06:34 PM About chinese piano hammerheads...
PianoEST Offline

Loc: Estonia
Hello guys!
I'm really intrested in hammer heads from china. I'm going to restore an old Swedish upright pianette. Haven't done yet a full "must to do" list but certainly I'm going to put on new strings, adjust and fix all the mechanics, and then it comes to hammer-heads. Yes, I know, professional piano-technicians don't think twice and have already ordered Renner, Abel, etc..., but I don't feel such a huge responsibility, because it's my own piano, and I got it quite cheap. After couple of hours googling I managed to find only one direct seller directly in China, but unfortunately minimum order is 10 sets of hammerheads. It's a bit too much for one piano:). Price is between 30-50$ for one set, witch is 10 times cheaper than others. In my opinion, they can't be worse than old worn out historycal hammers in my piano. I believe most of Chinese pianos are using same hammerheads, and as far as I have tested, they are all much greater than common old soviet pianos in my country.
Thats shortly a reason why I want to hear your opinions about chinese piano parts.
Unfortunately I did't find any dealer in Europe who sells them and it seems a little bit odd - there's tons of chinese pianos, tuning hammers but not piano parts separately. If anybody knows a place where I can find these hammerheads, please let me know.
Thank You!
PianoEST

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1994278 - 12/03/12 06:58 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: PianoEST]
kpembrook Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Does it occur to you that there may be a reason why no one wants to handle those parts?

#1994282 - 12/03/12 07:02 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: kpembrook]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I agree with Keith.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1994309 - 12/03/12 07:31 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: PianoEST]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
I would try Detoa, if the cost matters.

But, are you a technician ? changing hammers without being trained to do so , may give strange results.

Edited by Kamin (12/03/12 07:32 PM)

#1994310 - 12/03/12 07:34 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: kpembrook]
PianoEST Offline

Originally Posted By: kpembrook
Does it occur to you that there may be a reason why no one wants to handle those parts?

Well, I'm shure, there's plenty of reasons - as I told it's almost impossible to purchase them, although you were meaning a quality aspect. Therefore I want more proof and reviews from persons who have been in touch with these. Do you have some impressions to share?

#1994318 - 12/03/12 07:45 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: Olek]
PianoEST Offline

Originally Posted By: Kamin
I would try Detoa, if the cost matters.

But, are you a technician ? changing hammers without being trained to do so , may give strange results.

Thank you for a hint. And yes I'm a Piano craftsmans student and I know how to remove and replace hammers....

#1994321 - 12/03/12 07:49 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: PianoEST]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

There are the Chinese OEM parts used on Yamaha grey market pianos, (and Kawai) but those are certainly not the cheapest ones. The hammers are yet not very good tonally speaking.

Then there are the cheap hammers as find on entry level pianos made in China, those ones are sometime impossible to voice, they go from rock hard to soft as cotton without intermediate situation.

You could ask to some Japanese tuners/technicians that have videos on Youtube. Some of them use parts that come from China. I dont know where they buy them... (Yamaha Japan does not want to sell them original Yamaha parts, generally, so they are obliged to use that solution)

Most of tyhe "grey market Yamahas they repair are sold to China those days, one of them told me it was even difficult for the Japanese tech to buy for himself a decent second hand U1 today)

Edited by Kamin (12/03/12 08:01 PM)

#1994322 - 12/03/12 07:49 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: PianoEST]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Why not ask for a sample to test?

#1994324 - 12/03/12 07:59 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: PianoEST]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Hello ! I am sometime surprised with the cost of vertical hammers, when sold by the factory.

One one of the best German makers, buying heads yet glued on selected shanks is cheaper than buying the same parts from Abel.

Detoa may have something accepteable for you I guess, but in the standard sizes of their pianos, I am unsure they have small models.

You need the heads and the shanks if you want to do a good job plus some training. gluing on the old shanks is feasible, but less easy in the end.

Even ABel have some extra from overproduction regularly, then you can buy a hammer set plus shanks plus butts plus flanges for a price around the cost of a hammer set.
Why not asking them I seem to receive such an offer recently (it may be finished now but who knows)

Best wishes.

#1994353 - 12/03/12 09:23 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: PianoEST]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: PianoEST
I'm really intrested in hammer heads from china. I'm going to restore an old Swedish upright pianette. Haven't done yet a full "must to do" list but certainly I'm going to put on new strings, adjust and fix all the mechanics, and then it comes to hammer-heads. Yes, I know, professional piano-technicians don't think twice and have already ordered Renner, Abel, etc..., but I don't feel such a huge responsibility, because it's my own piano, and I got it quite cheap. After couple of hours googling I managed to find only one direct seller directly in China, but unfortunately minimum order is 10 sets of hammerheads. It's a bit too much for one piano:). Price is between 30-50$ for one set, witch is 10 times cheaper than others. In my opinion, they can't be worse than old worn out historycal hammers in my piano. I believe most of Chinese pianos are using same hammerheads, and as far as I have tested, they are all much greater than common old soviet pianos in my country.
Thats shortly a reason why I want to hear your opinions about chinese piano parts.
Unfortunately I did't find any dealer in Europe who sells them and it seems a little bit odd - there's tons of chinese pianos, tuning hammers but not piano parts separately. If anybody knows a place where I can find these hammerheads, please let me know.

There are, indeed, many reasons why Chinese hammermakers have not been marketing their hammers to anyone outside of China. One being that until fairly recently the growth of the internal Chinese market insured that they could sell just about everything they could make to various small internal piano makers. (The major Chinese pianomakers all make their own hammers and that is not likely to change.) This, of course, is always the easiest way to market one’s production. It is not necessary to advertise and promote the product. Nor is it necessary to develop the mechanisms necessary to ship to an international market and handle the accompanying language and commerce barriers – such as billing and collecting -- inherent in such a venture. Remember that it is still fairly difficult to use otherwise internationally accepted credit cards in China. (I stay here for periods of three weeks at a time and my hotel bill is paid in cash.)

As well, asking about the performance characteristics of “Chinese-made hammers” is like asking about the performance characteristics of “European-made cars.” Which hammers made by which manufacturer? At the recent Shanghai Music Show I stopped by three different displays showing “Chinese-made” piano hammers. Well, they were all supposed to be piano hammers; some of them were almost decent, others shouldn’t be allowed anywhere close to a piano. The domestic piano market has leveled off some so if these hammermakers want to thrive they are going to have to enter the international market. There is no internal replacement market yet. There are hundreds of thousands of relatively new pianos in China but few used pianos of an age that require replacement hammers. Hence the scramble for aftermarket sales. Right now they are looking internally for that market but sooner or later they will have to look internationally. Some, perhaps most, won’t make it; their product simply isn’t good enough. Others might.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#1994366 - 12/03/12 10:30 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: Del]
kpembrook Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Del
There is no internal replacement market yet. There are hundreds of thousands of relatively new pianos in China but few used pianos of an age that require replacement hammers. Hence the scramble for aftermarket sales. Right now they are looking internally for that market but sooner or later they will have to look internationally. Some, perhaps most, won’t make it; their product simply isn’t good enough. Others might.

ddf

Another issue related to China and some other asian countries is that there may never be a replacement market because of the cultural aversion to buying anything "used". This is one reason why used Japanese pianos wind up elsewhere as "grey market" instruments and Japanese used cars are purchased by Russians and taken back to to western (european) Russia -- the Japanese don't want 'em. A Chinese piano technician colleague tells me the same orientation exists in China. This came up in a discussion about rebuilding pianos in China. His response: "no market".

#1994387 - 12/03/12 11:23 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: kpembrook]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kpembrook
Originally Posted By: Del
There is no internal replacement market yet. There are hundreds of thousands of relatively new pianos in China but few used pianos of an age that require replacement hammers. Hence the scramble for aftermarket sales. Right now they are looking internally for that market but sooner or later they will have to look internationally. Some, perhaps most, won’t make it; their product simply isn’t good enough. Others might.

ddf

Another issue related to China and some other asian countries is that there may never be a replacement market because of the cultural aversion to buying anything "used". This is one reason why used Japanese pianos wind up elsewhere as "grey market" instruments and Japanese used cars are purchased by Russians and taken back to to western (european) Russia -- the Japanese don't want 'em. A Chinese piano technician colleague tells me the same orientation exists in China. This came up in a discussion about rebuilding pianos in China. His response: "no market".

The problem also exists here. Several dealers, whom I won't mention, have complained to me about Asian customers.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1994389 - 12/03/12 11:31 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: PianoEST]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
God help us if a country with 1.5 billion people can't bring itself to reuse things....

#1994557 - 12/04/12 09:49 AM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: PianoEST]
mariotto Offline

Loc: EU
Detoa doesnt sell heads, they only produce action parts. You can buy cheap heads from Meyne in Germany. I never tried them, but german techs dont recommend them. They are supposed to be from Asia. You can ask them. If you register like a tech-dealer at their shop you will get better prices. I understand a concept everything is better than old soviet heads, but when you think at all the job you have to invest, 100 eur diference doesnt seem much, because with cheap heads you invest even more time and probably get bad result. I install Abels at old Petrofs for instance and get very decent results. The heads with shanks and but can ce bought for 160 eur.

#1994591 - 12/04/12 11:01 AM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: PianoEST]
PianoEST Offline

Thank you all! Lot's of new thoughts and ideas now. First of all, I'm gonna list up operations to do and then I have a clue how much this thing gonna cost me.

#1994632 - 12/04/12 12:56 PM Re: About chinese piano hammerheads... [Re: PianoEST]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
You might check with the hammer supply companies and see if they have any "seconds" - sets with some sort of cosmetic defect that wouldn't be detrimental to the tone, but that they wouldn't normally sell. Also you might find a supplier with a set of hammers that were pre bored at the wrong angles. If you could get them inexpensively, you could plug and re-bore them.
www.pianova.net

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
129 registered (Abby Pianoman, accordeur, anotherscott, AmateurBob, 41 invisible), 1588 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156315 Topics
2295749 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
by Paul678
21 minutes 31 seconds ago
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
Today at 06:05 PM
Transcribing Music
by Tigero
Today at 05:31 PM
Yamaha P-105 or the Casio PRIVIA px-135?
by Acevle
Today at 05:30 PM
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
Today at 03:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission