2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 255 of 540 1 2 253 254 255 256 257 539 540
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
My AOTW (maybe the year) is that yes, indeed, I did pass the Level 5 exam even with my hands that shook so badly during the technical exercises. I don't have the comments yet but earned a pass with Honors. I passed the basic theory too. Don't know if I'll do another but learned from the experience of preparing for it. Thank you to all of you who supported that crazy venture.

Woot! Congratulations. A gentlewoman and a scholar! I'm so glad to know this - I know you were worried. It's great!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

My AOTW (maybe the year) is that yes, indeed, I did pass the Level 5 exam even with my hands that shook so badly during the technical exercises. I don't have the comments yet but earned a pass with Honors. I passed the basic theory too. Don't know if I'll do another but learned from the experience of preparing for it. Thank you to all of you who supported that crazy venture.

Congratulations!

Always nice to read about others success smile

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Wisebuff - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! That is a wonderful achievement! I'm so happy for you!

It would have been great to have you with us on the weekend at the EPP -- maybe next year, in Lisbon?

I appreciate your insights into managing performance stress. You're so right - we really DO want to play for others - so much so that we're willing to keep at it, thinking it has GOT to get better and easier!!! Sounds like you made some good progress in that direction at SummerKeys!

Sweet06 - bringing in the pedal can be quite a challenge. It is something I am just starting to get the hang of an enjoy - have fun experimenting with the new sounds.

Keystring that sounds like a very productive listening-recording-listening session! I always find it very exciting when I hear what is happening in a new, clearer way. I am looing forward to hearing your Grieg submission!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC

Ok, guys, I'm in the finals. smile

For passing to finals, I earned a voucher to spend in travel agencies and, most important, the opportunity to do a professional video with my participation. So far so good!

I can't go to sleep without telling you my AOTW: I was making the video for the FINALS smile

Today I was performing for the production of the video. My day strated at 10AM and I was in a (real) sound studio to do a recording of my piece ("Indaco"). It was an incredible experience because I had never been in a studio before and all the people were very kind and professional. They helped me a lot.
I did 3 complete takes and the technicians said that it was "perfect". The rest of the time they were discussion some details about the sound/equalization, etc, etc.

At 01PM we left the studio and we drive to the Art Center of my company (it is were the piano is located).
I don't know how many times I played the piece... I don't know. I know that I played over the sound I did in the studio; it was a kind of playback.... They had several cameras, huge lights, and they also did a makeup in my face (!). I was 3 hours doing the video. They capture all the possible angles, perspectives, details, etc, etc.

Here are some pics:
PIC#1 - At the studio: I was listening the piece while Miguel was equalizing the sound:
[Linked Image]

PIC#2 - At the stage: Me playing while Ariana was capturing the moment:
[Linked Image]

PIC#3 - At the stage: Another take, another prespective.
[Linked Image]

PS1: I'm sorry but I'm too tired.. I promise I'll describe my experience with detail later.

PS2: I confess that I can not comment all AOTW individually. Sorry for that and congratulations to all for your achievements.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by casinitaly
... - we really DO want to play for others - ...

I try to tell myself that's not for me. The closest I want to come to that is to do a really good demo. Then, I remember; That's what Carole King said.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Carlos... this is just about the coolest thing ever.

It almost feels like winning isn't all that important after having all this wonderful experience. At least that's the sense I get, that you are enjoying this journey for its own sake. Congrats!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Not quite. It does not happen so often. Usually mediocre performance.

FarmGirl's (self-described) mediocre performances are my aspiration.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
CarlosCC - that is wonderful. I love the pictures - I'm so glad you posted them. Have a great time the rest of the way!

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Wow, It's great to share your journey! With you in the ether!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
We can all say we knew CarlosCC before he made the big time smile

That is incredible news. Good luck on the final judging, but as you said, by making it this far, you have already won a decent prize. That kind of video is something few people ever have the chance to do. Even the most accomplished life long amateur musicians and many gigging pros may never get that kind of opportunity. Way to go!

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Congratulations Carlos.... Look forward to more.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I am so excited for everybody.
My AotW is to realize that I am just lazy!
Right. ...All those mistakes are things I choose to do because I CAN play them right.....
I talked about practise techniques in my lesson today. I have been overdoing it. that 7x's rule does not mean 'consecutive'! Dah! or all the way through.....
Overpactising is a real phenomena realized only by those who have done it!
I'm putting some pieces on the back burner and will start fresh with a fugue and a Nocturne - Chopin No 9 - I love it.
This week I have to keep a practise log and be 'consistent' and not binge on a favourite piece leaving others to languish.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
SwissMS, that's cool that you have found a piano in every hotel. I like it very much when a hotel or restaurant has a piano to play on. Most of the times they have one, but the piano is so centered, it's difficult to play and not bother other guests unless you are kind of an expert.

Casinitaly, maybe you are right about the concentration. If you have too many thoughts, and too fast, bumping to each other, the brain waves would not help you to concentrate.

Wisebuff, congrats for passing your exam. Very difficult to play well with shaking hands as others and me have experienced that very well at the EPP recently.

Sweet06, pedalling makes the pieces a lot more beautiful. So I'm glad for you that you are learning the technique right now. It will make practise sound a lot nicer.

Keystring, I agree that slow pieces are not so easy. Slow pieces need precise (off-)timing and dynamics to bring the music to full spirit. So that your timing and hearing is improving, doesn't surprise me much.

CarlosCC, nice pictures! Your company is so cool to have an art center. When do we get your video to see? I hope soon!

Palmpirate, good advice. I should do that too. Thanks!

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Greetings all
First a big congratulations to the Hound for passing your exam even with the problem areas. Good for you!!!

As I read all the conversation about the EPP I have several thoughts. First, I wish I could have joined you and met all of you and listened to your music. I'm confident that each of you added to the party. Second, on PW we're really part of a small proportion of people who say they "play the piano" who WANT to get over our fear of playing on strange pianos, for new people, in public. Most people are content to say it will never be. It must be normal to have the adrenaline rush that throws us off. The challenge is to harness that hormone for our benefit...to have it help us be more energetic and passionate about the music. Certainly can't say I've achieved it but I've glimpsed it. When we played the final performance at Summerkeys my Mozart was not the delightful graceful movement I had hoped for. I WAS able to stay focused on the music however and moved past each glitch without stops. THAT was improvement for me. I only beat myself up for a few minutes and THAT was an improvement too.
The only things that seem to work is play more more more in front of others and let it go go go as soon as the piece is done. http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/images/icons/default/smile.gif

Those who said that someday we might experience that magic moment where it stays together offer a great inspiration for us.

Didn't I tell you! I knew you'd pass. Congratulations for passing the significant milestone. I had no doubt about your passing. I heard you play beautifully in my house.

I am still preparing my 2 piano piece for Summer key. Decided to include a solo lesson too if they let me. You might have told us but please do tell us again which Mozart piece you studied in SummerKey. Any pictures?

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F

Ok, guys, I'm in the finals. smile

For passing to finals, I earned a voucher to spend in travel agencies and, most important, the opportunity to do a professional video with my participation. So far so good!

I can't go to sleep without telling you my AOTW: I was making the video for the FINALS smile

Today I was performing for the production of the video. My day strated at 10AM and I was in a (real) sound studio to do a recording of my piece ("Indaco"). It was an incredible experience because I had never been in a studio before and all the people were very kind and professional. They helped me a lot.
I did 3 complete takes and the technicians said that it was "perfect". The rest of the time they were discussion some details about the sound/equalization, etc, etc.

At 01PM we left the studio and we drive to the Art Center of my company (it is were the piano is located).
I don't know how many times I played the piece... I don't know. I know that I played over the sound I did in the studio; it was a kind of playback.... They had several cameras, huge lights, and they also did a makeup in my face (!). I was 3 hours doing the video. They capture all the possible angles, perspectives, details, etc, etc.

Here are some pics:
PIC#1 - At the studio: I was listening the piece while Miguel was equalizing the sound:
[Linked Image]

PIC#2 - At the stage: Me playing while Ariana was capturing the moment:
[Linked Image]

PIC#3 - At the stage: Another take, another prespective.
[Linked Image]

PS1: I'm sorry but I'm too tired.. I promise I'll describe my experience with detail later.

PS2: I confess that I can not comment all AOTW individually. Sorry for that and congratulations to all for your achievements.

Carlos, it's so amazing. Congrats for taking the challenge and carrying out. I cannot wait to hear more about this

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Carlos - that is fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing the pics --- I'm with the others in being really excited and happy for you!

It will be fantastic to see the video when it is ready!
What a great experience!

Palmpirate....it's funny you should say that the 7x rule doesn't mean consecutive. I generally work with 5x, and have always thought it meant consecutive!!!!!! I tend to use it for short tricky segments, and it seems to me only logical that you can't alternate between getting it right and getting it wrong - it has to be right every time.....doesn't it? Isn't that the point? I'd be very interested in hearing a bit more of what your teacher had to say on this.

Farmgirl - when are you heading to SummerKeys?

PaperClip - I can hear your voice as I read your post- very cool. In my case I don't usually have to many thoughts rushing into my head, - it might only be one thought that distracts me! But worse than random thoughts (for me) are the moments where my brain feels totally blank and empty - nothing happening at all! Total brain fog.

A friend of mine has a book for me --- he told me even before the EPP that he had it, we just have to meet up --- it is called "Keeping your Nerve". I'm looking forward to getting it!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC, how very cool! It sounds like an amazing experience!

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wisebuff - Congratulations on you Grade 5 success! That is a major milestone!

CarlosCC- Wow! What an experience! You are now a professional performer! I love the pictures.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl. I just checked my dates for SummerKeys. It's Aug 26-30.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

Those who said that someday we might experience that magic moment where it stays together offer a great inspiration for us.

Congratulations on the Grade 5 exam. Those that listen to my recital pieces likely have the same view that I have, that I am in the bottom 5% to 10% in terms of technical ability for those uploading for recital. Someone passing a Grade 5 exam is many years ahead of me on the piano skill ladder. While I have a lot of years of experience on other instruments, my technical skill is not that much greater on those instruments.

What I do have is some desire to share my music. Like I said, maybe 10% of the time do I feel like I approach my best. Simple odds mean the more I perform, the more chance of getting there.

Coming from wind instruments means that breathing and phrasing are linked. For pianists breathing seems so often ignored. For on stage, that would be one tip I would pass on to folks. Breathe with the flow of the music. Often times, a performer gets so excited that they forget to breathe, with the inevitable bad result after about a minute.

Bringing it back to CarlosCC, he has something special that lets him play with the ease of a life long musician after only three or four years. One judge at the preliminaries, asked him what conservatory he graduated from. I believe part of it is knowing the music so intimately, highlighted by his signature quote:
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

That's I see as the place of magic. After learning a piece, after knowing a piece so well that it sings in your heart.

Page 255 of 540 1 2 253 254 255 256 257 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission