Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Ad
Let Your Piano Sing
Let Your Piano Sing
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
56 registered (Albunea, Benoit N, ando, augustm, bsher518, 15 invisible), 1644 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1995445 - 12/06/12 12:51 PM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: solahaji]
Susan_B Offline

Loc: United States
"Rather than try an online forum, I'd ask the kid's teacher."

Probably the wisest course of action.

(ad 800)
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos Simply the Best
#2584320 - 11/04/16 09:50 AM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: solahaji]
dskeys Offline

I signed up for this forum to offer feedback about Tim Praskins. Short version - he is legit, and I am very happy with the Kawai ES8 I bought from him, and got a good deal on it.
Longer -- yes he is a salesman. I would say that he does like Casios a good bit, but I was not pushed toward a Casio. While his blog is not pure in the sense of being unconnected to selling pianos, his reviews are thoughtful and helped me, as someone who could not possibly play all the pianos in question. Where his reviews were most helpful was allowing me to sort out the style and price range that would best fit my family -- ie, 3 young kids getting ready to start piano lessons and want something high quality but cheaper than a decent upright, and space efficient.
Also, he is, somehow, able to offer really good prices. I don't think anywhere else would have beaten, maybe not even matched, the deal I got.
He and his son both responded quickly by email and were also available by phone, including helping me when I had a dumb question while setting up the instrument.
I had never heard of Tim or his website before digital piano shopping and have no personal connection to him. Just putting in my 2 cents.

Edited by dskeys (11/04/16 09:52 AM)

#2584325 - 11/04/16 10:09 AM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: solahaji]
Falsch Offline

Loc: Netherlands
On more than one occasion, I've noticed that Tim Praskins isn't always liked very well on this forum, specifically because he's a salesman.

I've read his reviews when looking for a stage piano, and later a digital upright piano. He uses some hyperboles such as "Best digital piano under $2000" and such, and he describes things as he sees them, or even as he sees fit.

That doesn't bother me; every salesman does. Even the one where I bought my piano's, in The Netherlands.

What Tim Praskins DOES do, is describe most, if not all, capabilities of an instrument and he points out things he likes and doesn't like, and why, which is a nice addition to reading the manual. I made note of such things, and used them while testing; some things he liked I didn't like, and some things he didn't like did not bother me.

As with every review, I do the following:
- I pick out the facts for each instrument
- I line up the things the reviewer likes or doesn't like
- I do that with 5 or 6 different reviews, for each instrument I'm interested in

And then I go have a look for myself, exactly knowing what I'm going to look for, and what I'll be testing in which way. Then, and only then will I make my decision.

Use the reviews as educational material (discarding the sales crap), not to make your purchasing decision, and you'll be fine. Never buy something as big as a digital piano blindly, based on reviews only.

Edited by Falsch (11/04/16 10:11 AM)

#2584331 - 11/04/16 10:36 AM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: solahaji]
toddy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Tim Praskins's advice for low end to high middle market digital pianos is the same as the advice that tends to have been given here over the last five years: go for Casio if you're wanting a good instrument for as little as possible. If you can afford more, go for Kawai.

So by design or coincidence, he seems in line with the impartial.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 Ult. / Focusrite Saffire 24
W7, i7 4770, 16GB / Monitors: Yamaha HS7s .

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2584361 - 11/04/16 11:59 AM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: solahaji]
Scooby Hoo Offline

Originally Posted By solahaji
I called lots of stores and each one told me that Casio is inferior to Yamaha,Roland, Kawai, Kurzweil etc. I am very confused.

I emailed Tim Praskins a couple of times asking him which piano to choose from a choice of models and he always points out that Casio is the best, even when other posts on this forum contradict him.

Though I don't doubt your sincerity, one risk of the way you posed your question is that responses may conflate feelings about Tim Praskins (or salesmen in general) with support for the idea that Tim says "Casio is the best". Whether Casio is the solid and one's feelings about a salesmen are two different questions, deserving separate consideration.

Also, from a quick skim of Praskins site, I see that he claims Casio now is a price leader with lower priced pianos, but he seems to shift to other brands with more expensive price range (Kawai). I am as suspicious salesmen as the next guy, I would be concerned someone who posts on the internet is not representing others correctly.

Third, I am not certain this forum is represented accurately in your post. Musical instruments are extremely subjective. For instance, I don't own a Yamaha, but I understand why people on this forum prefer that brand. Most people on this forum who review pianos don't say one is "the best for everyone", but they do articulate why it is the best "for their tastes or needs" in their posts. There is less dogma on this forum than your post suggests.

In my opinion, Casio as an option for lower priced pianos is VERY valid. Also, their upper end digital pianos (like GP-500) are making a lot of ground, even using samples from other grands. I had a toy Casio as a child, and it is hard to get that image out of a Casio as a toy out of my head, but I am pleased to see Casio providing more competition and products. I would hate to see a question phrased in a way that makes support for salesmen or a salesman conflated with Casio's progress (or any company).

I wish you well in your search. My suggestion -- and the one you will see most on this forum -- is that trying a piano is the best route to getting the best one for you. That makes sense for many products and life decisions (from marriage to careers), not just pianos.

#2584372 - 11/04/16 12:30 PM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: solahaji]
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Manufacturers have a book price that dealers can't list below in print, but they can sell a piano one-to-one as low as they'd like to go. This is how Tim can sell the pianos he represents at lower prices than you ever see online. Some online dealers get around that with the "add this item to your cart to see the price" routine or pile on a bunch of extras while somehow keeping the whole package at list price. Tim seems like a good guy - I'd probably contact him if I'm ever looking for one of the brands he sells.

#2584456 - 11/04/16 04:14 PM Re: Tim Praskins Casio pianos [Re: Tim P]
Scooby Hoo Offline

Originally Posted By Tim P
Scooby Hoo (and others who may not have noticed) - This is a four year old thread...

I didn't notice! Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our Latest Free Newsletter!
-------------------
Some New Piano World STATS

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad)
Piano Lamps - Piano Lights
Piano Lamp by cocoweb - free shipping
New in Piano World's online store PianoSupplies.com , beautiful piano lamps from cocoweb. Free shipping! (continental U.S.).
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to fix fallen string bar
by Dr.Gaga
Today at 04:15 AM
Scale Design
by Pneuma
Today at 02:24 AM
How do I tune an autoharp?
by TimR
Today at 12:19 AM
Any Generic Issues 1998 Baldwin R?
by BillM
Yesterday at 05:24 PM
Your Video Christmas Card from TromboneAl
by TromboneAl
Yesterday at 04:54 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
85,749 Registered Members
44 Forums
176,761 Topics
2,575,883 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission