Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
142 registered (accordeur, ajames, Alexander Borro, Anita Potter, ando, 38 invisible), 1706 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1978571 - 10/25/12 04:19 PM Hailun 178/198?
birdstew Offline

Loc: St.Louis
I've talked about it for years but have been working over time to put a substantial cash down payment.

this goes out to the owners of said pianos....especially if you've owned for
a while now.....any input? what do you not like/like?

Thanks,

Julia

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1978687 - 10/25/12 10:45 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: birdstew]
J_D Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
I like the tone and feel of my HG178. I do occasionally have a damper or two that sticks every now and then, but that's supposedly a common problem with a lot of pianos. It can go for months without a problem, so it's probably related to humidity and temp.
It holds a tuning very well and the overall quality seems to be very good. I'll get my tech to look at the dampers during the next tuning. Bigger is almost always better, but the the HG178 puts out a lot of volume for the room it's in so I keep the lid down most of the time.

I recommend the HG178

#1979233 - 10/27/12 10:01 AM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: birdstew]
Cmajor Offline

Loc: USA
I've had a 178 for a little over 3 months now and would recommend this piano to anyone. It has superb sound and is quite nice in appearance. I love the action but that is a subjective thing. Everyone who has played it has loved it including my teacher who is a classical pianist.

Three months, of course, is not ample time to truly evaluate the long term qualities but we love our 178 and all the reviews we read prior to purchase confirm it's durability and ability to hold a tuning.

The 178 is a great value for it's price.

#1979257 - 10/27/12 11:19 AM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: birdstew]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
In any maker's lineup of pianos, if the tonal quality doesn't increase as one moves to a larger piano, then I'd say(except in rare instances like the smaller piano was designed much later or has other design features not found in the larger piano)there's something wrong with the larger piano's design. Since the larger piano will cost more it should perform better.

Whether it's worth the extra cost is a personal decision depending on how much difference you hear and your finances.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/27/12 11:20 AM)

#1979266 - 10/27/12 12:09 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: birdstew]
Norbert Online   content

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
In any maker's lineup of pianos, if the tonal quality doesn't increase as one moves to a larger piano, then I'd say(except in rare instances like the smaller piano was designed much later or has other design features not found in the larger piano)there's something wrong with the larger piano's design.

Figures.

I've never read a single post of yours where anything was "right"

Norbert

#1979278 - 10/27/12 12:44 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: birdstew]
Guapo Gabacho Online   content

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
It is all about touch, tone, and wallet.

#1979282 - 10/27/12 12:52 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: birdstew]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Just a little bit of research will address that the 198 and 218 are from featured designers and different from the team that designed the 178. In this case with Hailun, preference for a designer's vision can outweigh the the simpler comparison of size.

I don't see many examples in history where a designer was featured in a brand's literature though there are a growing number today. I'm sure it is/was very common behind the scenes which is why I believe there are often models within a brand that stand out more than others.

Now back to the comments from owners....
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1979326 - 10/27/12 03:38 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: Norbert]

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:
In any maker's lineup of pianos, if the tonal quality doesn't increase as one moves to a larger piano, then I'd say(except in rare instances like the smaller piano was designed much later or has other design features not found in the larger piano)there's something wrong with the larger piano's design.

Figures.

I've never read a single post of yours where anything was "right"

Norbert
Wow...I'd better go back and disavow all my posts.

Perhaps you should give a few examples to prove your point. You better avoid your own lines because this would force you to say that a more expensive larger piano is inferior to a smaller one. Since I included an escape clause in my original post, I think it's logically impossible to disprove what I said unless you actually think it's a regular occurrence that a maker's pianos don't improve tonally as their length increases.

Based on some of your earlier posts, what I'd guess your trying to say is that sometimes a particular model in a maker's lineup is particularly good or bad for it's size. Of course, this is not the same thing as I said but a different statement.

I wonder why all those buyers are willing to pay more for larger pianos? And the thousands of times posters of all kinds of experience(including the greatest) have said that all other things being equal longer is better?

#1979345 - 10/27/12 04:50 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: birdstew]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Stew,

You did specify that you are interested in the opinions of owners of these two pianos. I'm not one, so I won't offer an opinion.

However, if you are interested in a retailer's analysis of the differences between the two, I would recommend that you send a private message to either or both Norbert or Sam (pianoworks Atlanta). Both of them have long experience with Hailun products and would probably give you a candid comparative assessment of the 178 and 198.

I recall asking Norber that exact question on a thread, and he was specific and forthcoming about his opinion of the 198 with the original spec hammers and the same piano after the company went with a different hammer. I don't think that he can be comfortable posting opinions on this thread though since he is being attacked by someone who has no interest in your question.

#1979355 - 10/27/12 05:20 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: turandot]

Originally Posted By: turandot
I don't think that he can be comfortable posting opinions on this thread though since he is being attacked by someone who has no interest in your question.
Seems like you got that backwards as far as attacking and substance. Norbert's very first post:

"Figures. I've never read a single post of yours where anything was "right""

did nothing to answer the OP's question and outrageously said all my posts were wrong.

#1979373 - 10/27/12 05:52 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: birdstew]
Norbert Online   content

Quote:
Since I included an escape clause in my original post, I think it's logically impossible to disprove what I said unless you actually think it's a regular occurrence that a maker's pianos don't improve tonally as their length increases.

This is a typical misconception.

Only by playing a lot of pianos including visiting a number of factories have I come to a different conclusion.

Curiously I have been approached before by dealers *not* to express these opinions publicly as it may cut "into bottom line". Bigger pianos make more money...

I personally own a 49" upright not the 50" piano by same maker.
It could be a coincidence - but so be it.

OP will have to find out himself if the bigger piano will serve his needs better.

Good luck!

Norbert smile

Edited by Norbert (10/27/12 06:24 PM)

#1979400 - 10/27/12 06:58 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: Norbert]

Quote:
Since I included an escape clause in my original post, I think it's logically impossible to disprove what I said unless you actually think it's a regular occurrence that a maker's pianos don't improve tonally as their length increases.
This is a typical misconception.
Trouble is most people agree with my misconception. You're entitled to your opinion, but to present it as fact when most people disagree with you seems strange.

So, for which makes that you sell would advise customers to avoid buying their larger models?

#1979438 - 10/27/12 08:17 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: birdstew]
Norbert Online   content

Quote:
Trouble is most people agree with my misconception. You're entitled to your opinion, but to present it as fact when most people disagree with you seems strange.

Not the ones who know the pianos I have in mind.

Trouble is that you don't know nothing about the specific pianos I am talking about. You have never seen them, never touched them, never played them.

If you don't admit this, you're also a liar.

Not letting us know your real name and who you actually are puts you in a category of your own....

Your endless posts about nothing are not only misleading to the extreme but have long become a real nuisance for anybody trying to discuss things here in earnest.

Buy yourself a ticket and travel the world: perhaps people would perhaps start to take you a bit more serious.

"Real name" would also make you a "real person"

Norbert

Edited by Norbert (10/27/12 08:18 PM)

#1979450 - 10/27/12 08:45 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: Norbert]

Quote:

Not the ones who know the pianos I have in mind.

I guess "knowing" whatever piano your talking about means agreeing with your opinion.

So which pianos are you talking about where the larger models are not better sounding than the smaller ones?

If the piano you're thinking of is Hailun I've played them at Beethoven Pianos.

My last comment to you here.

Edited by pianoloverus (10/27/12 09:00 PM)

#1979460 - 10/27/12 09:03 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: birdstew]
Guapo Gabacho Online   content

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas

#1979870 - 10/28/12 10:36 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: birdstew]
Sparky McBiff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
When I was shopping for a grand (a present to myself for reaching 50) I found nothing at all acceptable on the used market around here and eventually decided that for not much more than people were asking for used grands in this area I could get one of the better Chinese brands.
I had narrowed it down to Hailun or Brodmann but I only had the Brodmann 212 to choose from here, which was out of my price range.

So I had essentially settled on the Hailun 178 and was trying to get the Baroque model, with the bird's eye maple lid and fallboard.
(I actually liked it believe it or not).

But the only one that was available had a player installed (which I didn't want) and had some "cold cracks" in the clear coat finish on the inner rim from being shipped across Canada in the middle of winter in an unheated truck apparently. (Several other Hailun's suffered some cracks as well in the same shipment during a major cold snap in January).

The dealer just happened to mention that he could give me a great price on the 198 and quoted me what I thought was an amazing price at the time.
I had not even played the 198 since there were none on the floor and I didn't bother looking at ANY pianos (of any brand) that were out of my budget.

Long story short, the dealer soon had two of them somewhat "prepped" and on the floor.
Both of those also had some minor cold cracks in the clear coat finish on the inner rim where the gorgeous bird's eye maple was. (You really had to look for them to notice).

I ended up going for the 198 (after he had fixed the cold cracks) but I had the dealer write in on the sales agreement that he would let me give it back in exchange for a 178 (with an adjustment in the price) within a month or so if I still wanted to go for the 178, which I had been shopping for.

(I guess he knew that that would never happen).

To be honest I was fairly new at the piano buying thing, even though I did a ton of research and took my time, but simply wasn't aware of how much even a slight increase in length can really add to the sound.
I'm still very glad I went for the 198 over the 178 and I know that I would have regretted buying the 178 afterwards. Heck right now I only wish that I had actually tried to somehow spring for an extra 5K or so to go for the 218.
It was fortunate that I bought when I did since the price I believe has gone up significantly.

I had put the whole thing on my credit card, which scared the heck out of me at the time, but I managed to pay it off completely within six months and I don't owe a cent on it (or anything else for that matter).

Every time I play it I'm amazed that I have this big beautiful grand piano in my living room, where I actually had to knock down a wall to give me the space in my small house.
It's got a great sound and really wonderful bass, better than the 178 I would guess since the difference in length generally shows in the bass.

Presently I've got it tuned to EBVT3 and think I'm going to keep it like that.

I had it initially prepped rather bright since I figured that I should take some time to get used to it and gradually develop a preference on how I would like to get it voiced, knowing that it is easier to voice it down rather than "up".
I've had it voiced down once somewhat and will probably do so again within the year.

I only wish that I could have gotten it in satin rather than the high gloss black which I am not a fan of.
I'm actually contemplating rubbing the whole thing down myself since I've seen a few other pianos that have been rubbed down into satin and I like tackling big jobs. But I'll have to wait until I am unemployed or something because that is apparently a ridiculous amount of work.

But in the meantime I've got a big 6 1/2 ft grand piano in my living room, which looks great and makes me feel great and has enabled me to become a MUCH better piano player simply because it has motivated me to play much much more than I had been beforehand.

#1994065 - 12/03/12 10:36 AM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: Sparky McBiff]
kenviz Offline

After many researches, finally order the Hailun HG178 for my son who is a diploma piano studnet, now waiting for the shipment, will attach photo for sharing when shipment arrive.

#1994778 - 12/04/12 09:53 PM Re: Hailun 178/198? [Re: kenviz]
electone2007 Offline

Loc: Philippines
Congrats! I've owned one for over a month now and I love it.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Partial versus Full Regulation
by MusicMagellan
12/22/14 12:22 PM
Knabe WG48 Opinions?
by stevetothink
12/22/14 10:58 AM
More instruments via MIDI?
by badbob001
12/22/14 10:42 AM
Xmas present
by Jytte
12/22/14 09:29 AM
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160053 Topics
2350485 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission