Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1994421 - 12/04/12 01:44 AM Close the Gap Between Key Tops and Fall Board Felt
Playhouse Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I recently had an old (1911) Steinway Upright rebuilt... One detail that I'd like to correct is that there's a gap between the key tops and the fall board felt that is about an 1/8th to a 1/4" wide. I've checked the fall board to see that it's seated properly...and the felt on the bottom of the fall board is a standard red 1/4" self-adhesive...is the felt maybe too thin? Do the keys adjust up higher? Anyone know how I can close this gap?

Thanks?

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1994456 - 12/04/12 04:22 AM Re: Close the Gap Between Key Tops and Fall Board Felt [Re: Playhouse]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
The felt was often a folded 5 cm wide strip (2 ') glued twice so it makes a supple and auto adjustable nameboard felt. That is how I do yet, Renner sell us strips ready for that use made of first grade felt in different colors.

But I like the quality in that sort of details...

PS possibly your keyboard is too low, incorrectly shimmed, the gap must not be so wide but on a Steinway anything possible.

Edited by Kamin (12/04/12 05:30 AM)

#1994530 - 12/04/12 08:48 AM Re: Close the Gap Between Key Tops and Fall Board Felt [Re: Playhouse]
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Your keys may be sitting too low in the balance rail, which is where key leveling is performed. If there were too few punchings placed under the key at the balance rail pin, they will sit lower and produce this excessive gap. However, this is NOT something I would recommend a non tech try to assess or rectify on their own. It also may NOT be the source of your particular problem.....it is just one possibility.

#1994704 - 12/04/12 04:13 PM Re: Close the Gap Between Key Tops and Fall Board Felt [Re: Playhouse]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

due to the leveling of the keyboard with a light arcing in the middle, the gap is more noticed, but the numbers you give are too large.
The key-frame is positioned with shims to level it at large, then only the job is finshed with paper punchings.

It may be a good idea to shim all along if the front rail have to be raised and also for the balance rail, just because if not the action is more noisy (at the front it may flex a little also if the carboards are only under the screws).

#1994712 - 12/04/12 04:56 PM Re: Close the Gap Between Key Tops and Fall Board Felt [Re: Playhouse]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Steinway leaves a bigger gap. I use spring rail felt.

#1994840 - 12/05/12 02:02 AM Re: Close the Gap Between Key Tops and Fall Board Felt [Re: Olek]
Playhouse Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Thanks so much for your replies! I like very much the idea of folded and twice glued felt. Wondering if the folded crease when properly done points out towards the keys or back under the fallboard towards the action. Also does anyone know what color fallboard felt was originally used on a Steinway upright of mine's age?

#1994847 - 12/05/12 03:07 AM Re: Close the Gap Between Key Tops and Fall Board Felt [Re: Playhouse]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Hello yes folded adapt better if the gap is uneven but only a small portion tion of 2 - 3 4mm is showing. I I iron the strip so it is easier to glue. If the idea is to allow the gap closing don't iron strong or iron not. I I have no idea on the look with a strip that will be thicker on the sides, and may be the look will be underlining the gap size difference..

I often leave that job to the customer : scrap, draw a pencil line , cut the strip if really too large. Draw a line of of glue on the wood not too much near the edge, put the first half of the felt in place, wait a few seconds and press lightly twice on the felt with a finger along the strip, add another line of glue, and fold, verify, and move the strip of not following straight enough. verify the extremity is the good dimension and cut excess if necessary...

Use white glue (fast or for cloth).. I may have pics of customers doing the job. (with a little help)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (36251, accordeur, Al LaPorte, Alux, 39 invisible), 1553 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75334 Members
42 Forums
155758 Topics
2286836 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tone effects in Roland DP90se
by lunobili
07/09/14 09:38 PM
Keyboard Memory/Keyboard Visualization
by attaboy
07/09/14 09:14 PM
Cleaning whippen springs
by woodog
07/09/14 09:04 PM
New ES 100 Problem
by MLFLY
07/09/14 09:00 PM
What's function of vertical back-check
by Weiyan
07/09/14 08:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission