2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 199 of 540 1 2 197 198 199 200 201 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
SwissMS, this is really funny. And congratulations for your Debussy! I understand you had problem having lesson in front of your daughter, last year I had to take my elder son (he was 9) with me at lesson and I was not relaxed (I'm never at lesson, but that day it was worse than usual).

Toastie, I really hope you can recover soon from your hard times.

FarmGirl, congratulations for your major achievement...you are becoming a concert pianist!

My AOTW: my lesson today was really good; the efforts I put on my Bach piece paid well, my teacher said it was unrecognizable. Now, she told me, I have to put it aside for a couple of weeks and then take it again in order to polish it (and improve the speed a bit). She assigned me an easy Minuetto from the French Suite in E major.
I'm still struggling with the trills in the Scarlatti sonata - I decided of changing the fingering two days ago, bad idea- and have to work with the interpretation of the Chopin prelude. Still, I'm really satisfied!
I have also a second (minor) AOTW, last Saturday I was alone at home for one hour so I put my compact camera on the tripod and I recorded me playing. The sound sucks, but still it is a record of a point in my journey. And first step to post in a monthly piano bar or recital... (still a long way, many things to learn).

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
you gotta love Google ...... instant gratification for the curious.

Just stick yer tongue out!

Yep, now I know why those six-year olds at recital are always loosey-goosey relaxed.

[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My only AOTW is being able to play again. Long story short I pulled a muscle in my upper back the 25th of FEB and couldn't play for a few days. Better now after two massage sessions.

Didn't get to have a lesson today due to crappy weather. I was out in it on the way to my lesson when teacher called and cancelled.

Still plowing ahead with the Canon in D. Man that puppy got pretty hard (for me) but I'm still having fun with it, albiet much, much slower now grin

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
After the Arizona piano party I decided to learn the Chopin Aeolian Etude (op.25 #1) as my first etude. I think it will really help my fluidity and relaxation, because the piece sounds awful if you don't relax and make it really musical.

My AOTW is that I spent a couple hours working on it and I memorized the first page of it (out of about 5 pages, but thankfully there's lots of repetition). It's soooo pretty and fun to play! Here's a rough idea of where I'm at with it: https://www.box.com/s/zbvj4882488ufzlmrc3j

It's really challenging to pull the melody out from that cacophony of notes, but I think the effort for this piece will pay off with more melodic playing in all my pieces.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am diligently enforcing the "and then STOP" part of my practice.

Of course, when I have the time I don't stop practicing altogether, I just stop that little section after its 3 or 5 times, but it leaves plenty of time for scales, sight reading, and goofing off.

I'm also just enjoying poking around looking for a recital piece that will a) contrast with Honeysuckle Rag and b) be easy, fun, and accessible (i.e. not boring) for the audience.

Learner

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Toastie...sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Best wishes for getting through it as smoothly as possible.

SwissMS - how wonderful to be able to share your lesson with your daughter! I was able to attend my niece's lesson this past summer and it was great. I've never heard of the "sticking-your-tongue" out technique to calming nerves.... Careful you don't do it at a live recital though!

So on the same page we've got FarmGirl and EdwardianPiano dreaming about playing the piano, that would be like my students dreaming in English I think smile

Torquenale what great success with Bach ! and with your other pieces. Recording can be a great help - even if you don't share it with others, it is a benchmark for where you are at a given point. Plus...the more you do it, the less intimidating it becomes!

Jim, thank you for that bit of info. I'm doing yoga at my desk now smile lol.

RagDoll - you need to hire a local kid to be a handy-man for you for a while so you can get back to piano properly smile Take care and heal up!!!

Sam-- as usual, you're coming a long really well with your new piece! Always a pleasure to hear you - even in "draft" mode.

Malkin, I've been working on that technique too and find it helpful. Good luck on the second piece - maybe a little waltz?

My lesson went well yesterday - we FINALLY had a close look at the Heller, adjusted some fingerings, (corrected some typos in the text! ) and my teacher explained a few more aspects of the technique to me with respect to acciaccatura versus appoggiato. I finally get the difference!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
A
Cheryl, is it easier for you to understand all those musical terms, since they are in Italian? It is fortunate that many of the words look like English or perhaps French, but in the case of those two terms I have no idea what they might mean.

Excitement: a tech should be visiting today to fix my baby! Some of the dampers aren't descending properly leaving my music with a very annoying constantly sounding high D, and depending on the music, a low B flat. I'll finally be able to play.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard
Cheryl, is it easier for you to understand all those musical terms, since they are in Italian? It is fortunate that many of the words look like English or perhaps French, but in the case of those two terms I have no idea what they might mean.

Excitement: a tech should be visiting today to fix my baby! Some of the dampers aren't descending properly leaving my music with a very annoying constantly sounding high D, and depending on the music, a low B flat. I'll finally be able to play.

Allard, some terms are easy because they are Italian - but more often they are easy because I learned them a long time ago. Acciaccatura is another name for a "grace note" It typically is written in smaller print, and has a diagonal line or bar through the stem. It is meant to be played a split second before the main note and released immediately.

Appoggiatura is written without the bar across the stem, and it "steals" time from the main note which follows it.
Here is a link where you can hear the difference, though I'm not convinced the second is a fantastic example...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/music/elements_of_music/melody6.shtml

If you listen here you can get the acciaccatura example very clearly:

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0024781

and here is one more document explaining appoggiatura

http://www.piano-play-it.com/appoggiatura.html

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Acciaccatura is another name for a "grace note" It typically is written in smaller print, and has a diagonal line or bar through the stem. It is meant to be played a split second before the main note and released immediately.

Appoggiatura is written without the bar across the stem, and it "steals" time from the main note which follows it.

"Crushed note" is the literal translation of "Acciaccatura", and a rather nice description. It is sometimes played before the beat, sometimes on the beat. In practice, sometimes it's good to play it simultaneously with the main note but release it quickly.

"Leaning note" is literal for "Appoggiatura".

I have to think twice which word means what! But the two notations are clear enough, which is what matters.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
RagDoll - you need to hire a local kid to be a handy-man for you for a while so you can get back to piano properly Take care and heal up!!!

Thanks Cheryl,

Pfft! I can barely pay attention , never mind a local kid. They want 30 bux for an hours work using my stuff. But thanks for the thought.

I'm much better wrt the upper back, I had an hours pratice today in 2 seperate sessions. I think I'll do a bit of sight reading exercises later tonight. That is also coming along well and I blame that Canon!!! ha

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
wow sam rose! beautiful! you learned that in a day??! you will have the entire piece going in no time!

i've been pretty down about my playing lately, but I guess my aotw is that I finally did a trial recording of my mendelssohn song without words (85/1) for the upcoming recital. not because it is ready to record, but just to get used to the red dot as that is how much it distracts me. I almost have one of the pieces memorized, but it has taken me weeks to do it and I play the piece so unmusically!! sigh.

My piano had its first tuning since I bought it a little over a month ago. It wasn't too far off but it sounds and feels awesome, yay!

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
My really excited is that I found a really good teacher. We're starting on Sunday morning. Lessons are over Skype. He isn't too far away that I cannot visit him if I really need to learn something in person.
I had started learning on my own. Doing good. Soaking things up. Working with a few books. One of those books was so good. It motivated me to find a really good teacher.
My only fear is that he might be figuring I'm too much hassle. He leaves home and goes out teaching. Also I take it for granted that he does spend some evenings working with bands/performers in night clubs. We had difficulty coming up with a time for my Skype. That's why Sunday morning. I'm hoping to make it easy for him. Trying to make it work better at another time.
I'm wanting to learn piano to the level of composing. He said that is a whole bunch. Have to learn the creation of music. Told me twice a month isn't nearly as fast as once a week. And I have a bunch I'm wanting to learn. We're looking at many years. I'm so excited that I'm working on budgeting as best I can on finances to pay for once a week.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
K
K
I am getting very very excited
because I have started to be able to read & understand
much better (and quicker) the scores and melodies
whilst playing my piano.
The exciting news is also that I did start from scratch
as an adult-beginner and I feel now
this adventure has widened my horizon and my world quite a bit.

I am also glad and thrilled because my patience with myself -
and my being stubborn and not to give up - has finally paid off.

I am currently studying Bach's Aria
(from the so-called Goldberg Variations)
which is one of the piano/harpsichord-pieces I have adored
all my life and I am now actually starting to learn and play it.

This is very exciting news for me and it makes me very happy.

Best wishes from Kristina.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Not really an achievement, but I just wanted to share with you a rough recording I made of Chopin Ballade no. 1, which most of you know I've been chipping away at for a long time. I know all the notes now, but in some sections it's still a real struggle, and you'll hear that. But there are good moments here too, and my Yamaha C3 was just tuned and sounds lovely laugh

I hope you enjoy it!

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
J
J
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Not really an achievement, but I just wanted to share with you a rough recording I made of Chopin Ballade no. 1, which most of you know I've been chipping away at for a long time. I know all the notes now, but in some sections it's still a real struggle, and you'll hear that. But there are good moments here too, and my Yamaha C3 was just tuned and sounds lovely laugh

I hope you enjoy it!

Sam that was Fab! Really Impressed

Essex EUP-123S

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sam, congrats on your accomplishment with the Ballade. Indeed, the C3 sounds great. You have a freakish talent - and I sincerely mean that in the nicest possible way.

Just out of curiousity, was that entire nine minutes on utube without edits? (I would consider it an accomplishment if I could play anything for that length of time)

Well done.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks ju5t1n-h and JimF! It means a lot!

I edited out a couple of slight pauses I made. I call them "brain farts," and they happen because of performance anxiety. The more I record, the easier it becomes though, so hopefully before too long I'll be able to play this live and do a great job. I mean, I already played it live at FarmGirl's place, but I did repeat a half measure once or twice. It wasn't too terrible, but it takes away from the flow of the music, so I removed it. I figure if Zimerman can do it, so can I smirk

But it's not a hodgepodge of pieces stitched together. If it was, I could have made it sound much better than it does (which is probably what they do in a studio recording setting). If I knew more about editing, I would do that at some point. On one hand, this piece deserves absolute perfection. On the other hand, there is something somewhat charming about slight note mistakes (I have a nice one right in the middle of the presto section). So I'm conflicted on the whole idea. Thanks for listening, and I understand your curiosity!

Currently Butchering:
♪ > $
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
On the other hand, there is something somewhat charming about slight note mistakes (I have a nice one right in the middle of the presto section). So I'm conflicted on the whole idea.

I feel the same way re: the charm of mistakes.

Check out Victor Borge's performance of Clair de Lune at his 80th birthday celebration (Wolf Trap Farm in VA). He muffs the very highest note at the height of the piece. I winced for him when I first heard it... I imagine it must have bugged him quite a bit at that moment.

The joke he can't resist making is at 0:30, the oopsie is at 2:58...
[video:youtube]_evCoEVaTQE[/video]

Now, many many listenings later, I've grown quite fond of that missed note. When I hear it hit properly by any other pianist I feel like I'm missing something of the humanity of Borge's performance. If I ever learn that section, I'll be half-tempted to do it that same way, as an homage.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
... If I ever learn that section, I'll be half-tempted to do it that same way, as an homage.

You're brilliant! From now on. I never make mistakes. I pay homage! We should make that a requirement on this forum from now on. The word: Mistake, is replaced with: Homage.
Oh...we can just lie about who we're paying homage to.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 199 of 540 1 2 197 198 199 200 201 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission